Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    j law 4 the vikings's Avatar
    j law 4 the vikings is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    21

    Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    I think everyone has it all wrong about drafting, trading for, or signing a qb.
    Tavaris Jackson is our qb and he will do a great job.
    The fact is a running qb always gets hurt so we do need a good backup to be able to oome and and produce.(Holcomb and Bolenger not that person)
    I'd say we pick up David Carr, the guy is strong he is a great qb but years at a crap team with a bad line showed the worst of him.
    If Minnesota would pick him up and having the line they do have, He'd be a superstar.
    Plus he's a free agent meaning no wasted draft picks just some money that we just have sitting in the back anyways.


    The next topic is getting a DE.
    I'd say we go with Javon Kearse now for a year and then draft a kid to come in for the future.
    Though the biggest need I believe we still need is a cornerback.
    A Winfield is ok but the last two years he's been injury prone and we can't rely on him being healthy all year.
    We should go after a cornerback either in the draft or free agency and then make our corebackers someone that we know will be around all year.
    Cedrick Griffen and Marcus McCually are good but we need a shut down corner.


    All in all I think the Vikings are on fire this off season and even if we dont' get any more free agents we have a pretty good team to contend.
    Not to mention that Farve is gone now so we pretty much have 6 games in the win brackets now.
    So let's be the Vikings fans we are and root Sko Vikings Sko!

  2. #2
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    Welcome.

    Although I would like to think TJ will do a great job, I am more of a "wait and see" type of person
    He has shown improvement at the end of last year, so we will see.

    I would not mind getting Carr; he may even be able to beat out TJ.

    As far as Kearse, I do not want him.
    Others have some opinions here:

    [size=10pt]Is Javon Kearse an Option?[/size]

    I agree that we need to look and see what is out there at CB whether it's FA or the draft.
    We could get a young kid and hopefully groom him to be a shutdown guy.

    BTW, its Skol!

    Skol brother!

  3. #3
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    Some good points in there; I wouldn't be opposed to Carr as a solid back up...
    Kearse may be our only option w/o giving up draft picks.... not sure yet on how I feel about it....

    Winfield is a damn solid CB and we are pretty well set at CB; worst case we use a 2nd day pick for a dime back...
    from what I recall, the draft is pretty stacked w/ CBs (and DE).


    On a side note, you should be sure that you're not addressing things that have been hashed over a million times in more appropriate threads... but nice first post.
    Go introduce yourself and grab a beer!
    We have a forum for that, too!


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    "j" wrote:
    I think everyone has it all wrong about drafting, trading for, or signing a qb.
    Tavaris Jackson is our qb and he will do a great job.
    The fact is a running qb always gets hurt so we do need a good backup to be able to oome and and produce.(Holcomb and Bolenger not that person)
    I'd say we pick up David Carr, the guy is strong he is a great qb but years at a crap team with a bad line showed the worst of him.
    If Minnesota would pick him up and having the line they do have, He'd be a superstar.
    Plus he's a free agent meaning no wasted draft picks just some money that we just have sitting in the back anyways.


    The next topic is getting a DE.
    I'd say we go with Javon Kearse now for a year and then draft a kid to come in for the future.
    Though the biggest need I believe we still need is a cornerback.
    A Winfield is ok but the last two years he's been injury prone and we can't rely on him being healthy all year.
    We should go after a cornerback either in the draft or free agency and then make our corebackers someone that we know will be around all year.
    Cedrick Griffen and Marcus McCually are good but we need a shut down corner.


    All in all I think the Vikings are on fire this off season and even if we dont' get any more free agents we have a pretty good team to contend.

    Not to mention that Farve is gone now so we pretty much have 6 games in the win brackets now.
    So let's be the Vikings fans we are and root Sko Vikings Sko!
    Welcome to the site my newest purple friend.

    Cruise around the site and check out some of the threads on these topics you brought up but mostly you will find (at least my opinion on them is)

    a.
    Carr. Holds the ball to long and isn't a good fit for the 3 and 5 step drops our QB makes.
    b.
    CB.
    Like TJ, Cook, Rice and Allison (to a point) Gordon, Griffin and McCauley were thrown to the wolves and learned on the field.
    Those 3, along with Whinny make up a pretty good group of CB's that work out well in our Cover 2 scheme.

    Not sure what good a shut down corner does in a scheme that is devised to give up the pass in front of you and then make the tackle.

    Loved you closing paragraph.
    Post well and often my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Welcome.
    I'm absolutely shocked at your restraint.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #6
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Welcome.
    I'm absolutely shocked at your restraint.

    =Z=
    Why?
    Are you saying I am never nice?

    Kettle calling the pot black, eh?

  7. #7
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Welcome.
    I'm absolutely shocked at your restraint.
    Why?
    Are you saying I am never nice?

    Kettle calling the pot black, eh?
    When the moment calls for it, I'm very nice.
    Hell - I haven't jumped on anyone in months.

    As to you - as I said, I was surprised by your restraint.
    Generally, not your style, especially on a day like this.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  8. #8
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Welcome.
    I'm absolutely shocked at your restraint.
    Why?
    Are you saying I am never nice?

    Kettle calling the pot black, eh?
    When the moment calls for it, I'm very nice.
    Hell - I haven't jumped on anyone in months.

    As to you - as I said, I was surprised by your restraint.
    Generally, not your style, especially on a day like this.

    =Z=
    I rarely ever jump a new member.
    Unless it is a spammer.

    Check out the Free Beer forum...I seem to be a nice guy there.

  9. #9
    ThorSPL's Avatar
    ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Welcome.
    I'm absolutely shocked at your restraint.
    Why?
    Are you saying I am never nice?

    Kettle calling the pot black, eh?
    When the moment calls for it, I'm very nice.
    Hell - I haven't jumped on anyone in months.

    As to you - as I said, I was surprised by your restraint.
    Generally, not your style, especially on a day like this.

    =Z=
    I rarely ever jump a new member.
    Unless it is a spammer.

    Check out the Free Beer forum...I seem to be a nice guy there.
    You two totally crack me up.


    Trust me, I'm a doctor.

    www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

  10. #10
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: Backup QB is still and need,Cornerback and Defence End!

    Quoted from STRIB. article

    But Childress was candid in his assessment of Carr, the top overall pick in the 2002 draft.

    "I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ...

    "He's a smart guy, he's a decent athlete but when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out."

    I don't care for Carr's mechanics either. There was a good comparison between Carr and schaub by Brian Baldinger on the NFL channel last year. Film showed Carr to be flawed in reading and release.
    I think there are better options.

    McCauley had coverage issues and Griffin seemed to have some tackling issues at times. But they gained valuable experience and will improve dramaticly if we can consistantly pressure quarterbacks. I also think Gordon has the makings of a good cb.

    I wont weigh in on Kearse. I sense we may attempt to draft another pass rusher.Although I wouldn't be surprised if we also pick up a free agent.

    When Smith and Stallworth came off the board, they overspent on Berrian. That has handcuffed them a little at this point.


    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Prospects To Watch: Cornerback
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
  2. Another cornerback coming in
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 05:22 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 08:26 AM
  4. Vikes to lean on defence, running game
    By puretecmo.com in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
  5. 3-4 for 2005 Defence ?
    By AngloVike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 07:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •