Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    norsefan1 is offline Rookie

Back up Defensive Linemen...?

I know that we have a solid Veteran Roster here; but I have not heard "word 1" about the Back up Defensive Line battles. What's up there?

The only "word" about any one of them was on Day 2 about how LeTroy Guion almost finished T-Jack's season. Now, some of you may wish that he had done that, but I would hate for that to be our only Camp highlight from the Back up D-line guys.

What have you seen, or heard?

I read this brief article talking about Edwards vs. Robison -
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/192565-minnesota-vikings-defensive-end-battle-edwards-or-robison

Is any of LeTroy Guion, Fred Evans, or Jimmy Kennedy "lighting anybody up"?

Jimmy Kennedy was an ex-First round Draft Pick that I thought MAY be motivated here on what may become his last chance.

Wazzup here?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Back up Defensive Linemen...?

I think that you hit on something that has been forgotten about.
    I think we have been trying to forget about the fact that Pat and Kevin will still probably be out 4 games this season.
    Sad!

True, we haven't heard much.
    But, I don't think their is anything definitive as to who would be the back ups at this point.
    I bet this isn't a question the reporter have been willing to ask, "who is going to play when Pat and Kevin have to sit out?"
    I wouldn't want to ask that until it is an actuality.

I would like to hear more about the DL positions as well.

I hope we see some quality depth in the games coming up.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

After we learned that Pat, and Kevin were not going to be suspended all talk about our backup DT's stopped. I think we have a solid group and like our rotation. It's not bad to have a former first round pick as a backup, and Fred Evans has filled in nicely when called upon. The unit as a whole will have a even better season than last year. We will remain dominant against the run, and improve our pass D with consistent pressure from that front four.

"PurpleTide" wrote:

After we learned that Pat, and Kevin were not going to be suspended all talk about our backup DT's stopped. I think we have a solid group and like our rotation. It's not bad to have a former first round pick as a backup, and Fred Evans has filled in nicely when called upon. The unit as a whole will have a even better season than last year. We will remain dominant against the run, and improve our pass D with consistent pressure from that front four.
    The MN judge said he would review it after the season, but the Fed judge might still make a decision.
    That is how I remember it.
    It is still a concern, right?

By not talking too much about it, they are trying to make this into a non-issue. Like you said, we did have some solid back up play.
    It won't be at the same level as PW and KW but it should hold up.
    It is important that our DBs step it up a bit this season, especially if the suspension happens.

norsefan1 is offline Rookie

THANKS for the first few thought...I think that is not really what we are looking for here.
    The "Williams Wall" may very well be eligible to play ALL of this Season. Yet, at the end of last Season our
    beloved "Phat Pat" broke something in his shoulder and was out some games at AGE 36. Pat will be 37 in October, and YES Jim Marshall did play til 40-sumpthin' as an Old-School D-end. In the trenches Chubby DTs don't usually play well past 35 or so. Phat Pat is running on borrowed time there in the NFL trenches with 3 O-linemen, and Fullbacks, etc. "chipping" on him. KWill turns 29 this week; yet, last I heard he is no workout freak. He has had some knee injuries, weight issues, etc. in the recent past.

I do NOT think we can expect the "Williams Wall" to be just all fine and dandy all of this Season.

Also, last Pre-Season camp we had a lot of "news" about Kenechi Udeze (sp?), Erasmus James, etc. and some other battles on the outside edge including Jayme Mitchell, Otis Grigsby, etc.

So, I think a lot of us would REALLY like to hear from somebody who has been to Mankato, and seen/ heard real stories about life on OUR 2009 D-line trenches.

Again, WAZZUP here?
    THANKS!

"norsefan1" wrote:
    THANKS for the first few thought...I think that is not really what we are looking for here.
    The "Williams Wall" may very well be eligible to play ALL of this Season. Yet, at the end of last Season our
    beloved "Phat Pat" broke something in his shoulder and was out some games at AGE 36. Pat will be 37 in October, and YES Jim Marshall did play til 40-sumpthin' as an Old-School D-end. In the trenches Chubby DTs don't usually play well past 35 or so. Phat Pat is running on borrowed time there in the NFL trenches with 3 O-linemen, and Fullbacks, etc. "chipping" on him. KWill turns 29 this week; yet, last I heard he is no workout freak. He has had some knee injuries, weight issues, etc. in the recent past.

I do NOT think we can expect the "Williams Wall" to be just all fine and dandy all of this Season.

Also, last Pre-Season camp we had a lot of "news" about Kenechi Udeze (sp?), Erasmus James, etc. and some other battles on the outside edge including Jayme Mitchell, Otis Grigsby, etc.

So, I think a lot of us would REALLY like to hear from somebody who has been to Mankato, and seen/ heard real stories about life on OUR 2009 D-line trenches.

Again, WAZZUP here?
    THANKS!
    You might want to check these threads.
    For links and updates.
    Might want to pose your question to these two guys, they may or may not see your thread.

Capital J
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=52611.0

Vikes_King
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=52546.0

I hear what you are saying, but there hasn't been a lot of news for a bid discussion.
    Right now all we have is the guys that filled in last season. They need to step up.
    We didn't go out and draft DL, it was totally ignored.
    Robison was dinged in camp. Udeze retired.
    Edward is a motor mouth still. Guion is a question mark.

It doesn't get much attention because of these issues:

1.) QB - main battle and question of camp and offseason.
    2.) OL (Loadhold and Sully) - Loadholt seems like the real deal.
    Sully seems to be doing fine, we'll see on Sun.
    3.) DB - It was a point of concern in the draft and it should be.
    We need to bolster that position.
    4.) WR -
    Harvin is a story in itself. Rice a question mark.
    5.) LBs - Addition of Brinkley, EJ back from injury season.
    Greenway and Leber solid guys.
    6.) RB - AD is going to get press, needs to catch the ball better.
    RB set.
    7.) DL - SOLID if no suspension.
    Baring injuries or suspension, there is not much concern at this time.
    Why worry about something like an injury to PW.
    I can see wanting to plan for the suspension.

We just resigned these guys in the offseason.
    Apparently we think they are good enough.
    4/6

Fred Evans
    re-signed/restricted free agent (one-year contract).
    3/31
    Otis Grigsby re-signed/unrestricted free agent (one-year contract).
    3/11
    Jimmy Kennedy
    re-signed/unrestricted free agent (one-year contract).

If you want to know about the battles, check out Cap J's and Viking_King's sites and threads.

Depth Chart from the star trib:
    http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3153&elr=KArksDyycyUtyycyUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

DEFENSE

LE 91 Ray Edwards — 92 Jayme Mitchell — 99 Otis Grigsby

NT 94 Pat Williams – 90 Fred Evans — 73 Jimmy Kennedy — 97 Antoine Holmes

UT 93 Kevin Williams — 98 Letroy Guion — 95 Tremaine Johnson

RE 69 Jared Allen — 96 Brian Robison — 61 Martail Burnett

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I think that you hit on something that has been forgotten about.
    I think we have been trying to forget about the fact that Pat and Kevin will still probably be out 4 games this season.
    Sad!

True, we haven't heard much.
    But, I don't think their is anything definitive as to who would be the back ups at this point.
    I bet this isn't a question the reporter have been willing to ask, "who is going to play when Pat and Kevin have to sit out?"
    I wouldn't want to ask that until it is an actuality.

I would like to hear more about the DL positions as well.

I hope we see some quality depth in the games coming up.
    That yutz Marrdro hasn't forgotten.
    He has been on this soapbox for the whole offseason.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"norsefan1" wrote:
    I know that we have a solid Veteran Roster here; but I have not heard "word 1" about the Back up Defensive Line battles. What's up there?

The only "word" about any one of them was on Day 2 about how LeTroy Guion almost finished T-Jack's season. Now, some of you may wish that he had done that, but I would hate for that to be our only Camp highlight from the Back up D-line guys.

What have you seen, or heard?

I read this brief article talking about Edwards vs. Robison -
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/192565-minnesota-vikings-defensive-end-battle-edwards-or-robison

Is any of LeTroy Guion, Fred Evans, or Jimmy Kennedy "lighting anybody up"?

Jimmy Kennedy was an ex-First round Draft Pick that I thought MAY be motivated here on what may become his last chance.

Wazzup here?
    When I read the Guion almost took TJ out, I wasn't happy about TJ's injury, but I was happy that the dude appeared to get into the backfield which in turn resulted in the injury........

Might be a good sign that he is catching on.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Our backup DTs are about as solid as backup DTs can be. I'm worried but not as worried as most are.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast