Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Available receivers

Available receivers
    Monday, March 5th, 2007
    by Kevin Seifert

As we wait for the decision of free agent WR Kevin Curtis to decide between the Vikings and Detroit Lions, now is a good time to look at what remains of the receiver market on Day 4 of free agency. We’ve edited the list to match the Vikings’ criteria of younger players “on the come,” the way VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman put it.

The Vikings don’t want to give up any of their draft choices, pretty much ruling out restricted free agents. So, in no particular order, a list of some unrestricted wide receivers who are in their mid-20’s:

*Bobby Wade (Tennessee). He might be the best of what remains. The former Bears receiver caught 29 passes last year for Tennessee.

*Antoinio Bryant (San Francisco). He is a talent but has had all kinds of character issues, which might rule him out in the culture of accountability.

*Shaun McDonald (St. Louis). He caught 13 passes for the Rams last year and is visiting Detroit today.

*Donte Stallworth (Philadelphia). Another talent, but he has had issues with his hamstrings. There also is a report in the Philadelphia Inquirer today that Stallworth is in the NFL’s substance-abuse program and would be subject to a supsension if he violates it again.

Should the Vikings expand their search, other available players include Joe Horn, Eric Moulds, Andre Davis and Brandon Stokley.

I’m sure I’m missing some players and possibilities, but these guys come to mind. Feel free to discuss, suggest, ridicule and mock.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Available receivers

It is looking like he is going to go to Detroit and play.
    He has the possibility to work with Martz.
    But you never know, he could change his mind.
    I am getting the feeling that some WR are hesitant to come here.
    This would be a great opportunity to be a #2 or 3 WR.
    It could be that WCO leading them toward other teams.
    I hope that this isn't the case.

May be a lot of truth to that, you have to make a name for yourself to get the big coinage later in your career.
    The current QB crop, at this juncture of their careers, is getting nobody excited, especially a young WR trying to get known.
    The good thing about the Vikings though, from a young WRs perspective, is that they could relatively easily earn the #1 slot and grow, hopefully, with TJack and get the name recognition and coinage that is so sought after.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"vike_mike" wrote:
    It is looking like he is going to go to Detroit and play.
    He has the possibility to work with Martz.
    But you never know, he could change his mind.
    I am getting the feeling that some WR are hesitant to come here.
    This would be a great opportunity to be a #2 or 3 WR.
    It could be that WCO leading them toward other teams.
    I hope that this isn't the case.
    If there is any negative in coming here I think it relates to possible incentives that might be in the contract related to catches and yards.
    Put that together with the questionable QB situation and they might shy away a bit.

With that said, Bobby Wade, might be willing to visit as he just got through a young QB throwing to him last year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Anyone know if there is any visits scheduled for today with some FA WR's? If something doesn't happen very soon, we are going to suck so bad again next season.. The only pleasure I find in that, is it will spell the end to the Childress era in Minnesota..

Monday, March 05, 2007
    Curtis keeps on moving...

WR Kevin Curtis is leaving Detroit without a deal. What's not clear is where he's headed. Either he's headed back to his offseason home in Utah, or he's on his way to the New York Giants for a visit. The Philadelphia Eagles are also interested in him.

Stay tuned.

"Prophet" wrote:
    Monday, March 05, 2007

WR Kevin Curtis is leaving Detroit without a deal. What's not clear is where he's headed. Either he's headed back to his offseason home in Utah, or he's on his way to the New York Giants for a visit. The Philadelphia Eagles are also interested in him.

Stay tuned.
    Alright, someone on here must work for or know someone who works at or for one of the major airlines.
    Lets do some detective work and find out what flight he booked
    ;D

Seriously though, appears that maybe our offer was good enough to out do whatever Martzy boy ant that staff could come up with.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Looks like sick lame and lazy found a home, maybe
    ;D

[/quote]

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...416780,00.html

But Stokley also has health concerns. The 30-year-old veteran, at one time considered one of the league's better slot receivers, had a nightmare 2006 season because of injuries. He missed a month of training camp because of a left ankle sprain, reaggravated it upon his return, then missed six games with a sprained left knee before incurring a ruptured right Achilles' tendon. He finished with eight catches in four games.

Mark Bartelstein, one of Stokley's agents, said the receiver is ahead of schedule and is expected to "have a complete recovery" from the Achilles' injury and is progressing toward an anticipated return by training camp.
    Couple of other tidbits in here i.e.

[quote]STILL LOOKING: Broncos guard Cooper Carlisle still doesn't know where he'll be playing, having gone two weeks into free agency without signing.

Carlisle, a starter the past two-plus seasons with Denver, previously visited Seattle. Tampa Bay, Houston and Cleveland also are candidates to become his new playing home, and he hasn't ruled out a return to the Broncos.

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

[/quote]

Couple of other tidbits in here i.e.

STILL LOOKING: Broncos guard Cooper Carlisle still doesn't know where he'll be playing, having gone two weeks into free agency without signing.

Carlisle, a starter the past two-plus seasons with Denver, previously visited Seattle. Tampa Bay, Houston and Cleveland also are candidates to become his new playing home, and he hasn't ruled out a return to the Broncos.

Is there a reason the Vikes aren't looking at this guy. I know we need to replace Hicks and Denver uses a zone blocking scheme, so it's seems like fit?? ???
    Do you think BC already has a plan to move Johnson over and play Cook at RT therefore eliminating the need to go get a guy to replace Hicks?

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Monday, March 05, 2007

Stay tuned.
    Alright, someone on here must work for or know someone who works at or for one of the major airlines.
    Lets do some detective work and find out what flight he booked

;D

Seriously though, appears that maybe our offer was good enough to out do whatever Martzy boy ant that staff could come up with.
    TNT might be able to do that!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast