Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Toro is offline Rookie

Arrington a Viking?

POSTED 12:26 a.m. EST, March 6, 2006

ARRINGTON BUYS HIS FREEDOM

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington has ponied up more than $4 million in cash to the team in order to secure his freedom.

The move most likely enables the team to save money under the cap as a result of his departure. Previously, keeping or cutting Arrington would have resulted in an eight-figure cap hit, with the hit $100,000 or so higher if he had gotten cut.

The agreement ends a relationship that had grown rocky over the past two-plus years. Weeks after signing a big-money extension in December 2003, Arrington's agents claimed that the team had hoodwinked LaVar by removing from the final version of the paperwork a $6.5 million roster bonus due in July 2006. His agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, admitted that they didn't read the final version of the deal before signing it.

They're now dealing with a disciplinary action filed against them by the NFLPA.

The allegation of fraudulent conduct on the part of the team was odd in light of the fact that the Redskins already had promised in the deal to pay him a $6.5 million roster bonus in July 2006. The Postons essentially were claiming that a second roster bonus of that same magnitude should have been included, which would have pushed his cap number for this season toward a ridiculous $19 million, which translates to more than 20 percent of the team's entire spending limit under the current CBA.

A grievance was filed and Arrington ultimately agreed to a face-saving settlement that, as a practical matter, didn't give him much of anything in return. Dogged by a knee injury for much of 2004, he then was in the doghouse during the early stages of the 2005 season, possibly due to the lingering ill will engendered by the contract dispute. Though he ultimately redeemed himself on the field, Arrington drew the ire of coach Joe Gibbs by musing about his long-term status with the team as the 'Skins prepared to play the Eagles in a game that was crucial to Washington's playoff hopes.

Arrington suggested at one point during the 2005 season that he might retire from the game if the 'Skins don't want him back. By coughing up $4 million in money already paid, it's obvious that Arrington still wants to play somewhere.

Although the Redskins surely would have cut Arrington before his $6.5 million roster bonus came due, paying the money to get out now gives him a chance to hit the market in the early days of free agency, when the money tends to flow a little more freely. If, however, his agents had made the roster bonus due in March, Arrington would have gotten out without having to pay a dime.

At a time when tampering is more rampant than ever in the NFL, our guess is that Arrington already has an agreement in principle with a new team, and that the deal more than compensates him for the $4 million that he paid back to the Redskins. With the union already up the Postons' butts, the last thing they need to be doing is advising him to pay the $4 million back without having a damn good idea what he'd get somewhere else.

Our own money is on the Vikings and the Browns as his next destination, with the Steelers as an outside possibility.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
    "This is a kick-ass offense" - BC

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Arrington a Viking?

I would much rather have Peterson, Witherspoon or Jamie Sharper..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I know I would take arrington. He is expensive but he may be worth it. Getting him or witherspoon would immediately bolster our linebacking corps.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

At a time when tampering is more rampant than ever in the NFL, our guess is that Arrington already has an agreement in principle with a new team, and that the deal more than compensates him for the $4 million that he paid back to the Redskins. With the union already up the Postons' butts, the last thing they need to be doing is advising him to pay the $4 million back without having a gol 'darnit good idea what he'd get somewhere else.
    So the Vikings are possibly tampering?

How does that play out?

I think it is Cleveland that is after LaVar..........I would hate to think we are TAMPERING! :roll: ops:

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

God please no tampering! :roll:

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

You guys honestly think a team is tampering with Lavar? My opinion is that he wants out of washington and that was a easy way out. Would you want to play for a team who is cap trouble and might have to start a ton of rookies? I wouldnt, i would give em 4 mill to leave also.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Arrington is real;ly talented but he has a lot of attitude problems. I doubt that Zygi would want that?!?

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

tjohnson is offline Asst. Coach

I would be ecstatic if Arrington were to get on the Vikes. He is an absolute monster. I'd be more then willing to take on some of his attitude baggage if it meant he'd be on our side.

Get him!

How do ya like them apples?!

Navycoach is offline Starter

Great athlete. Can have a sour attitude at times, but I'm still worried about that knee of his. Injuries like that can nag over and over and over.

aceclown is offline Coach

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    Arrington is real;ly talented but he has a lot of attitude problems. I doubt that Zygi would want that?!?
    His attitude problems are sparked by the fact the Redskins continually disrespect him on the field. Arrington was the most athletically gifted player on the Redskins defense, yet they benched him because they felt that Warrick Holdman fit better into their scheme. If you sign Arrington, give him opportunites to rush the passer and wreak havoc like the monster he is.

Chuch.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast