bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Any UFAs catch your eye?

Are there any UFA’s out there for us to sign?

I took a quick glance at each position for players that had at least one "difference making" charachteristic or looked like good fits.

How do these guys look to you?

Chester Pitts – G/LT – Versatile and best UFA Lineman left on market, limited duty as a backup might be perfect spot for Pitts to get back on his feet.

Flozel Adams – LT – Still a Beast in the run game, but probably just a LT, worth a chance?

Shawn Andrews – G – If he comes back after back surgery this guy could be a difference maker.

Ladell Betts- 3rd down back - brings a lot of experience and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Jeremi Johnson – FB – at 275lbs this guy is a beast of a blocking FB, trade in Tahi for a difference maker?

Brian Westbrook - 3rd down back - so tempting to add a talent like this to the backfield.

Mushin Mohammad –WR - Veteran WR who is an excellent blocking WR. Would probably want a larger role, but, he brings a skill set the Vikings could use more of.

Kelly Washington – WR - Another Veteran WR who is an excellent blocking WR. Would probably be okay as a 4th/5th WR.

Thomas Hollis – NT 6-0 350 –An oldie, but, a goodie. A legit run stopper. May be best suited for a short term contract to cover WW suspension as he is Fat Pats age.

John Henderson – NT 6-7 335 – Another massive d-lineman looking to jumpstart his career again. If he doesn’t work he can be cut and we go back into the draft. Worth a chance?

Dre Bly – A little extra insurance for nickel and dime defenses? He played for less than a million last year.
    None

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Any UFAs catch your eye?

bsmithberkley wrote:

Chester Pitts – G/LT – Versatile and best UFA Lineman left on market, limited duty as a backup might be perfect spot for Pitts to get back on his feet.

Shawn Andrews – G – If he comes back after back surgery this guy could be a difference maker.

Ladell Betts- 3rd down back - brings a lot of experience and is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Jeremi Johnson – FB – at 275lbs this guy is a beast of a blocking FB, trade in Tahi for a difference maker?

John Henderson – NT 6-7 335 – Another massive d-lineman looking to jumpstart his career again. If he doesn’t work he can be cut and we go back into the draft. Worth a chance?
    I'd love to bring any of these guys in. They can all play spot duty, or start if needed if we get into trouble.

I'd like to see Betts, He'd be a good replacement for CT, because like it or not, Gerhert isn't a CT type player. Not quite a third down back. Betts has a good skillset, he can run alright, catch the ball and block. He's not exceptional at any one hting, but he's a solid option.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Chester Pitts - I think teams wait until closer to training camp to evaluate his knee and how close to ready he is to playing.

John Henderson & Flozel Adams probably want big money and teams are waiting as we get closer those 2 will heat up as FA.

I would like to see who is available at Linebacker for some additional backup & security.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

My thoughts...

Running Backs and Wide Receivers
    I don't think the Vikes need any of these guys. Not that the team couldn't improve at the #3 RB or #4&5 WR spots, but the impact would seem to be minimal.

Fullback
    I don't know how good Jeremi Johnson really is, but I'm not a fan of Tahi. Last year, Tahi was in the huddle for about one-third of the snaps, and at least one too many. If there is someone better that can reduce Tahi's role to zero-thirds of the snaps this year, I would be happy.

Offensive Line
    My guess would be that if the Vikings are looking at someone, they would be looking for a player to put in that 'versatile backup' role. That's a big reason why Chester Pitts would seem to be at the top of the list to me.

Shawn Andrews has both physical and mental health issues, a tough combination. He was good at one point though. I don't know that Flozell Adams is a particularly good fit in Minnesota as opposed to someplace he might get a chance to play right away.

Defensive Tackle
    I think the Vikings will make a move on this spot if the judge drops the restraining order on the suspension. Apparently that decision comes tomorrow. I do like the idea of adding Henderson as a guy that can probably provide quality snaps for several more years. This as opposed to a short term fit like Thomas Hollis.

Corner Back
    Injuries are an issue, but with Cook and Sheppard I think the team has guys they probably aren't terrified of lining up out there if they have to. I wouldn't be opposed to adding more talent, and I think Bly is still an okay player, but he is sure getting old.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

We should get them!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer