Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Anderson's Awesome, Astounding, Amaranthine, Amazing Analysis: 2008 Edition.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    I don't know, Kevin Williams has still been extremely disruptive in the backfield and definitely made plays for us. His stats have been down, but I still believe he's been playing on just as high of a level as any other defensive tackle there is. Hopefully if we get some outside pressure next season, he can return to dominance as an inside pass rusher.
    You are correct, he did make a couple of nice plays, however, stats don't lie. His production is down.

Again, if it was because of double teams all the time I would agree, but Pat played pretty gol 'darnit good this year and was double teamed just as much and his numbers have gone up.

Matter of fact, I remember a couple of games when he was on the sideline when you would have thought he would be out there.
    I am a huge fan.
    I hope we aren't watching his decline.
    :'(
    Pat Williams comes out for most "passing" downs.
    So, his influence on double-teams on KWill in those situations is minimal.

=Z=
    You are correct however, I am looking at this with respect to all situations.
    His numbers are down.
    Plain and simple and if you look at the numbers, they aren't getting any better.

Look, I am not saying shit can him, he is a piece of shit.
    I am just making an observation from something I picked up on after he ran that long one back for a TD.

He came out alot last year.
    Again, could be attributed to the attention he draws but then Phat Pats numbers (he gets Double teamed alot in the 3 gap) should be declining as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Anderson's Awesome, Astounding, Amaranthine, Amazing Analysis: 2008 Edition.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    I don't know, Kevin Williams has still been extremely disruptive in the backfield and definitely made plays for us. His stats have been down, but I still believe he's been playing on just as high of a level as any other defensive tackle there is. Hopefully if we get some outside pressure next season, he can return to dominance as an inside pass rusher.
    You are correct, he did make a couple of nice plays, however, stats don't lie. His production is down.

Again, if it was because of double teams all the time I would agree, but Pat played pretty gol 'darnit good this year and was double teamed just as much and his numbers have gone up.

Matter of fact, I remember a couple of games when he was on the sideline when you would have thought he would be out there.
    I am a huge fan.
    He still gets enough penetration to get back to his previous form.
    The problem with his sack totals are that we have not had good pressure coming off the edge which would normally force a QB to step up in the pocket.
    When QB's are constantly in a 7 step drop with no edge pressure it is easy to avoid a DT coming at you.

He may not have the burst he had as a 1st,2nd or 3rd year player but technique wise he is still one of the best.
    The only DT that COULD be better than him is Tommie Harris, but he has not been on the field enough the past two season to warrant that title.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

This is a helluva job, Anderson...obviously took a lot of time and effort. I've read it once through, and will reread it later.

You should submit this as a thesis for a course in Business Management and Principles.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

...and i guarantee there are 31 other teams in the league that would jump all over the chance to have him on their roster.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Your choice of Jackson baffles me ???.
    His highlight showed few recptions for a reason. All of that joysticking may not ork in the pros.
    Sweed however is constantly out jumping people. Seeing that we face the cover 2 @ least 6 times a year, having WRs that can beat the jam is important.

Rice and Sweed outside will allow ade to work the seam. I like Sweed since I have seen him hurt my KSU wildcats 1 too many times...

On Defense.....
    Wheres Gholsten?

ditto

***edit: upon reading throughout the thread, I realize it was addressed later. I think, if we really wanted to, we could trade up and get him. I think we have enough picks/depth to trade some of it away to get a monster like that.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"thepacksux" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

I am a huge fan.
    He still gets enough penetration to get back to his previous form.
    The problem with his sack totals are that we have not had good pressure coming off the edge which would normally force a QB to step up in the pocket.
    When QB's are constantly in a 7 step drop with no edge pressure it is easy to avoid a DT coming at you.

He may not have the burst he had as a 1st,2nd or 3rd year player but technique wise he is still one of the best.
    The only DT that COULD be better than him is Tommie Harris, but he has not been on the field enough the past two season to warrant that title.
    His sack totals (everyone seems to love that stat) isn't the stat I am looking at.
    Look at his solo tackles, tackles for loss etc.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Actually, I think of the two tackles we have, KWill is the one who is more consistently TRIPLE-teamed (i.e. with a back).
    In any event, I think the biggest problem here is a lack of a pass rush on the outside edge.
    Along with our passing game, it's our team's biggest problem, and it's one that will need to be addressed.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice Work!
    Good Read!!

I love the idea of getting Shmidt in the third!
    Just seems like the hard working, get-er-done, blue collar type of player the current Vikings are looking for.
    And, in two years, when Chester's contract is up, maybe Owen can step into those carries needed to keep AP fresh!
    Check out this video, love the effort!
    "Yes, Owen Shmidt can fly!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9JbRqJyoY&NR=1

I actually think Leber has been a really solid pickup for us!
    Last year's 51 solo tackles, 5 sacks, 4 passes defensed, and an interception isn't too shabby.
    The year before he had some key INTs and fumble/recoveries as well.
    In general, I think our LBs are doing a good job and are a big part of that No.1 rush defense.
    As for Greenway, I fully expect him to elevate his game in his second season playing...IMO, he's not nearly reached his potential, and his improvement could go a long way toward cutting down our passing yards allowed across the middle, to WRs, RBs, and TEs...

I too sometimes wonder just what Bevell does
    I'm sure he runs drills and generally, helps out the HC.
    Seems like it might be pretty similar to what Childress was probably doing for Reid when they were first getting started in Philly.

Robison and Edwards are promising at DE, but we still need more out of that group...and depth, given Udeze's illness (god bless!)
    I'm going to contribute Kevin W's decline to double teams due to lack of consistent outside pressure, AND, a predominance to focus on stopping the run.
    Again, DT depth could also help this situation...especially since, as pointed out, Kevin does seem to spend more time on the sidelines these days, and so does Pat.

Wow. Smith is gone, Tank and Doss probably as well.
    We have 1 safety???
    Dang.
    I'm seeing more and more mocks with us taking two or even three safeties in the draft...usually in the mid rounds, 2 in the third, or one 3 and one 4th.
    Lots of talk about how Philips isn't a Sean Taylor nor Ed Reed, and how his value is overrated due to lack of top end talent in the class at our position.
    D'oh!
    But, Maybe, we get the WR we need in the first, and Philips falls to us in the 2nd?
    Then I like backing up C and DT in the third, and hoping for Zibowski (?) another safety in the 4th.
    The guys on NFL network just talked about this kid Justin King Penn State 5'11 192 4.31 14reps 34 vert...graduated in only 3 years!
    Smart and fast as hell...wonder where he'll go?

With TWill gone, we definitely have to add at least one WR.
    Wonder how injured Eddie Kenison is?
    Tons of experience...several years at close to 1000 yds recieving, and two over.
    I like Bryant Johnson too...stuck at third behind Boldin and Fitz, but with starting experience.
    Looking to the draft, I lean toward the bigger WRs: Malcolm Kelly, James Hardy, Sweed, and Bowman.
    Kelly's concentration and catches in traffic, under cover, impress the hell out of me!
    Given TWill's situation, I guess I'm leaning a lot more toward hands/concentration over speed!!

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"BBQ" wrote:
    Actually, I think of the two tackles we have, KWill is the one who is more consistently TRIPLE-teamed (i.e. with a back).
    In any event, I think the biggest problem here is a lack of a pass rush on the outside edge.
    Along with our passing game, it's our team's biggest problem, and it's one that will need to be addressed.
    Excellent observation my friend.

Hope you are correct with respect to increased production/threat from the DE position gets his numbers back up.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    Excellent observation my friend.

Hope you are correct with respect to increased production/threat from the DE position gets his numbers back up.
    People say it's out Ends However, i see plenty of plays where the ends make the Qb step up into the pocket but the pocket has not been collapsed.

Can anyone tell me why Phat pat is taken ou ton passing downs? He seems to get plenty of Penetration to me?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast