Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Anderson's Awesome, Astounding, Amaranthine, Amazing Analysis!

All alliteration aside(there I did it again, I can't control myself!) This post covers a lot of areas, so it really has no specific section to be placed in, so don't move it. And I understand that there are a lot of threads similar to this, but trust me, this one is better.

I will start with the coaching staff, only the main guys.

Coaching Staff

Brad Childress: I like his disciplinarian approach, but I do not think the players trust him. I think the players are way too tense on and off the field because they are afraid of Childress. This tension seriously effects their play, you can see it most in the offensive line. I said I like his disciplinarian approach, but when your team is the most penalized in the NFL, something is wrong with your approach. Childress needs to relax, and hand the playcalling over to someone else. I see him being a successful head coach, but he is truly a terrible playcaller.
    Either hire and offensive coordinator to run the offense, and remain the disciplinarian, or lighten up. He can't manage both roles effectively.

Mike Tomlin: Great young defensive coordinator. The players seem to love him, the fans love him, and he is an excellent coach. He took us from a porous rush defense to by far #1 in the NFL, and almost the best in the history of the NFL. However, our pass defense has fallen apart. We've given up a lot of yards, and teams have picked apart our zone, but I think those problems will be solved with just a few minor adjustments, and with the return of Chad Greenway and Erasmus James. Tomlin is a very valuable asset to this organization and I sincerely hope we do not lose him this offseason.

Special Teams, Offensive Line, and Wide Receivers coaches are an issue in my opinion. Last season we had spectacular special team. This year we really fell apart, fumbling kickoffs, guys coming out of their lanes in kick coverage. We gave up a lot of field position on special teams and that needs to change.

Offensive Line: We have a ton of talent on the left side of our line, but they really never seemed to gell. We had a few flashes of excellence from the left side, but overall we underperformed. The right side was obviously a weak link all season, and I think that need will be addressed in free agency. And a new coach could pull all of them together, and create hands down the best offensive line in the NFL.

Wide Receivers: The glaring weakness of this team. We had talent, but when Childress' system arrived it all went out the window. Marcus Robinson was cut, Williamson was terrible(personally I think he was scared, but I'll get to that), and I do not believe Travis Taylor will be returning. What I was referring to about Williamson
    being scared was the routes our wide receivers run. The West Coast Offense is completely ineffective if the receivers are not in position to get some yards after catch. With the back routes, and sideline routes we run we can not gain any YAC. The instant one of our wideouts catches the ball, there is a defensive back or linebacker on them, that could be a credit to the speed of the defensive backs in the NFL, but it seems to me that other WCO teams gain plenty of YAC. So Williamson is afraid to get lit up from behind everytime he catches a ball, and that is why he can not hold onto it. That still doesn't explain his dropped deep balls, but I suppose some of those were tough grabs.

Enough for coaches, now on to players.

Offense:

Quarterbacks:

Brad Johnson: Goodbye, 2005 was nice, 2006 was horrendous, and I'm sure Brad doesn't want to spend his "Golden Years" as a backup.

Tarvaris Jackson: Will be our starter next season. He showed great arm strength and pretty good accuracy. He will still make some rookie mistakes next year, and is still very raw as a QB, but I believe if we put some weapons out wide he will excel, and really step up his game quickly.

Brooks Bollinger: I don't want to talk about Brooks Bollinger.

Running Backs:

Chester Taylor: Had a very good season, especially for only being able to run to one side. He broke down late in the season, but that may change next year when we can throw the ball a little bit, and teams won't stack the box every play.

Mewelde Moore: He was pretty exciting this year. He's not an up the middle type of guy, but really excelled in draw plays, and running the screen plays. He had some great runs off of screen passes, and I think he compliments Taylor very well.

Artose Pinner: I don't know if his big game was a fluke, but man he looked good. I'd like to see some more of him next year.

Wide Receivers

This crew was certainly not Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Reed.

As a team we had: 332 receptions, 3402 yards, 12 touchdowns, and 160 first downs. Which is far from good.

Individually we looked like this:

[img width=400 height=188]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/SenorAnderson/ReceiverStats-1.jpg?t=1168734243[/img]

And three of the top 5, are gone, or may be gone before next season. We will hopefully add to this group through the draft.

Offensive line:

I am not going to individually discuss the line, but I will speak of them as a unit.

My main concern is Zone Blocking.

The average height and weight of our offensive line. Is 6'6 320 pounds. With the behemoths we have up front it makes no sense for us to run a zone blocking offense. Typically zone blocking schemes are intended for teams with smaller, more athletic offensive linemen.
    He are some examples:
    Denver Broncos average size. 6'5 291 pounds.
    Indianapolis Colts: 6'4 306.
    Atlanta Falcons: 6'3 303 pounds.
    Tennessee Titans: 6'5 309 pounds.

All of these teams have very small linemen all around, but all have huge left tackles for pass blocking purposes. These big guys at LT kind of skew my data, but the rest of the line is far smaller. Where on the Vikings our whole line is huge.
    Some of you may be thinking "Hey, Chester Taylor was great this year, so zone blocking must be pretty good." If you're thinking that... you're wrong.
    Comparing our rushing numbers to that of the other zone blocking teams I have mentioned shows that very clearly.

Team Rushing Stats:
    Denver Broncos:
    2152 yards. 4.4 yards per carry. #8 in the NFL.
    Indianapolis Colts: 1762 yards. 4.0 yards per carry. #18 in the NFL.
    Atlanta Falcons: 2939 yards. 5.5 yards per carry. #1 in the NFL.
    Tennessee Titans: 2214 yards. 4.7 yards per carry. #5 in the NFL.
    Minnesota Vikings: 1820 yards. 4.1 yards per carry. #16 in the NFL.

Indianapolis is the only team behind us on that list; however, they do not have a running back like Chester Taylor.

We need to move away from zone blocking and return to a traditional power blocking scheme.
    Offensive line is another position we will address in Free Agency, and maybe late in the draft.

Hopefully this offense can turn itself around next season, and get our defense off the field for more than 3 plays at a time.

Defense

Secondary:
    Our new cover 2 scheme has 3 huge holes in it. 2 on each sideline, between the safeties and corners. And behind the linebackers, in front of the safeties. I think that all of this can be solved by a few minor adjustments.

#1: Switch to man coverage at the corners. Fred Smoot was extremely successful in Washington when he was playing the man, but has struggled since he arrived in Minnesota.

[img width=400 height=72]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/SenorAnderson/SmootStats-1.jpg[/img]

Switching to man coverage at the corners will also allow our safeties to roam the field against 2 receiver packages. Hopefully this will cause more turnovers. Darren Sharper was averaging just under 7 interceptions a year from 2000-2005(40 in 6 seasons) this year he only had 4.

#2: Kill the big cushions we give wide receivers. That may change automatically if we go back to man coverage, but I think it just makes it so easy for a WR to get open on a short route, and it completely eliminates any jamming our corners can do at the line of scrimmage.

Linebackers:

This was thought to be our weak link before this season, but EJ Henderson, Napoleon Harris, and Ben Leber really stepped up and played great this year. Whether they were blitzing the QB or stopping the run they looked good. Harris gave up a few big plays, especially on the post routes over the middle, but otherwise was pretty good in coverage. Unfortunately, I think we will be losing Napoleon this offseaon; however, we have a very good young linebacker in Chad Greenway, who will hopefully step into the middle linebacker role well, and really cover the middle of the field in our Cover 2 defense.

Defensive Line:

I think the Dline was our strongest point, and weakest point this season. They were obviously great against the run, but really generated no pressure on the QB. Our sack leader and tackles leader on the Defensive Line wasn't even a starter, Darrion Scott.

Without any pressure on the QB, quarterbacks find the big holes in our zone, and as a result the secondary looks like trash. Defensive end is another position that will be addressed in the draft and free agency.

Special Teams

I'm very satisfied with the play of Kluwe and Longwell. Kluwes punts just stick to the ground inside the 10 yard line, and Longwell was an excellent place kicker this year.

Free Agency and The Draft

Free Agency:

This year's list of free agents is pretty weak.
    There is a lack of WRs, so I do not think we will address that position before the draft.

I mentioned before that we are in need of a right side lineman.
    There are two very good tackles available in Free Agency.
    Option #1: Leonard Davis. 29 years old. 6'6, 366 pounds, Unrestricted Free Agent from the Arizona Cardinals. He's close to thirty, and has always played left tackle. So
    I don't know if he would be willing to move away from the "premiere" position on the offensive line at this point in his career.

Option #2: Max Starks. 25 years old, 6'8, 337 pounds, Restricted Free Agent from the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's young, huge, and has always played right tackle; however, he is a restricted free agent, so he may be difficult to acquire. I would absolutely love to steal a great young player from the Steelers though.

The Draft:

Round 1: #7 overall: Calvin Johnson. Wide Receiver from Georgia Tech. 6'5, 235 pounds. Runs an estimated 4.45 40 yard dash, and catches absolutely anything. He creates mismatches all over the field. If necessary we should move up to get him.

Round 2: Jarvis Moss: 6'6, 255 pound defensive end from Florida. He runs a 4.62 40 yard dash, .14 seconds faster than Julius Peppers. He blocked a field goal and an extra point against South Carolina. I think having a defensive end rotation of James, Udeze, Scott, and Moss would be amazing. On passing downs bring in Moss and James a speed rush off the edge. And on running downs bring in Darrion Scott and Kenechi Udeze. A good pass rush would really benefit our pass defense.

Round 3: I don't know if this guy will still be there, but Paul Williams from Fresno state. He's a speedy receiver and a very good athlete, with good hands. He would compliment Johnson really well. As would Williamson, but he could very well be a complete bust, which is why we would pick a guy like this. However, this pick might be traded. It could go to the Raiders for Randy Moss, extremely unlikely, or used to move up in the first round.

Round 4-7 I don't know yet.

My starters for next season:
    Defense:

Greg Blue

Darren Sharper

Fred Smoot

EJ Henderson

Chad Greeway

Ben Leber

Winfield

Jarvis Moss
    Pat Williams
    Kevin Williams
    Erasmus James

Offense:

Calvin Johnson

McKinnie
    Hutchinson
    Birk
    Johnson
    Starks

T-Will

Jackson

Wiggins

Richardson

Taylor

And that about wraps it up. Give me your thoughts, if you read it all.

- Mr Anderson.

EDIT: It turns out you can't read any of my stats, so here are the URLs.

Just scroll down for Receiving Stats.
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN

Fred Smoot.
    http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235244

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

Re: Anderson's Awesome, Astounding, Amaranthine, Amazing Analysis!

Excellent work, looks like you put alot of time into it, I hope your right with free agency and the draft. Starks would be a nice addition, and Johnson be worth moving up for...
    well done.

x-ray jeff is offline Coordinator

Great post Mr. I agree with switching to man to get rid of the cushion . Getting Starks would be great, but I don't know if they will shell out the money.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for your insights and all the info.........what's Amaranthine?

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

/applaud.

I'm glad you pointed out the zone blocking with the offensive line. When I heard we were using that I couldn't believe it. Thats like trying to fit a square block into a circle hole. Come on Childress! Thats kindergarten knowledge.

I have to disagree with one thing however. I don't see how we wouldn't go after atleast one WR in FA after going through the nightmare of last season. A veteran WR (Drew Bennett) would be nice to have just to teach all our young WRs anyways. Other than that I cant complain.

"WVV" wrote:
    Thanks for your insights and all the info.........what's Amaranthine?
    Amaranthine means endless, or ceaseless.

dr feelgood is offline Training Camp

Good reading!
    CJ would cost us our 1st and 3rd round picks though.
    Thats steep.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Offer Jeff Garcia a shot at the starting job, offer Donnie Edwards a front loaded contract, trade for Joe Horn and pick up Drew Bennett and Nate Clements in FA!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

dr feelgood is offline Training Camp

;D
    Right on, Cajun!!!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Offer Jeff Garcia a shot at the starting job, offer Donnie Edwards a front loaded contract, trade for Joe Horn and pick up Drew Bennett and Nate Clements in FA!!!!
    Clements, Bennett, and Edwards, maybe. Everyone else no.

Nate Clements is supposedly going to ask for a $20million signing bonus, and wants to be the highest paid corner in the NFL. And he wouldn't even be our #1 guy, he can't touch Winfield. Donnie Edwards is another guy who's up there, he's 34 in April, a good player, but I do not think he is worth it. Drew Bennett is basically the same type of player as Marcus Robinson, a big posession guy, who isn't all that great, but gets the job done. I'm not against signing him, but not for big money.

Jeff Garcia turns 37 next month. Joe Horn hasn't played a full season in 3 of the past 4 years and is 35 on tuesday. I think after this run Jeff Garcia has nowhere to go but down.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast