For all you 40 time worshopers...

Pat Forde knows his stuff!

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2776319

Skilz!

Levi Brown is the Viks pick.
    Tom Powers < Hetero

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Re: For all you 40 time worshopers...

So what are you and the article saying? The combine is a waste of time? Lol.

There are always exeptions to the rule. However, scouts need to make "educated" guess', they can't just paste photos to a dart board and start throwing.

laujesse is offline Starter

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    :

How can you get that from me or the article? Where TF do you get the dart board rant from?

Since you need it spelled out, it is not a waiste of time, some teams/people on this forum focus in on the wrong things. Game tape is a good place to start.
    Tom Powers < Hetero

"laujesse" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    :

How can you get that from me or the article? Where TF do you get the dart board rant from?

Since you need it spelled out, it is not a waiste of time, some teams/people on this forum focus in on the wrong things. Game tape is a good place to start.
    How can you get that from me or the article?
    It's in the Subject title. You're taking a jab at some members. You even said it yourself.

some teams/people on this forum focus in on the wrong things
    What are the "wrong" things? You can't simply judge a player solely on game film - most of those players' opponents never even sniff an NFL locker room.

You brought up no point whatsoever about anything I wrote or what was in the article you are just talking smack.

I dont even mind talking smack but you have to have a point or a postion on something so I can have a reference. Just an argumentitive atittude??? Stop it.

No member/s in particular are being singled out. It sayes ALL in the subject and I mean ALL.
    Tom Powers < Hetero

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I hate the fact that people put so much emphasis in to the 40 time.

I can see a little point in it if someone runs a {i]really[/i] abysmal 40, but if it's just those few fractions of a second over 40 yards, it's not even going to matter a yard over the length of a field. It only matters if you've got footballskills and quickness over the first 10 yards, and are able to get separation from the guy that is in front of you.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

That article was pretty much worthless.
    All the author did was pick out as many exceptions to the rule as possible, and then not bother to mention any of the players whose combine success was a good indication of NFL success.

I am pretty sure that most people don't give a rats ass about the 40 for OL.

I guess 32 professional coaching staffs must all have it wrong, and are collectively dumber that one sports columnist who hasn't played football since high school...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    That article was pretty much worthless.
    All the author did was pick out as many exceptions to the rule as possible, and then not bother to mention any of the players whose combine success was a good indication of NFL success.

I am pretty sure that most people don't give a rats jiggly butt about the 40 for OL.

I guess 32 professional coaching staffs must all have it wrong, and are collectively dumber that one sports columnist who hasn't played football since high school...
    You gave a rant just like the last guy without real point on any one subject.

Some Questions 4U:

Who said all 32 teams have it wrong?
    Who said that the combine does not have its place?
    Who said anyone gives a rats a$$ about an OL 40 time?
    Who just went off on an invalid poop talking tangent about nothing?
    Tom Powers < Hetero

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

This thread is - by its headline - about 40 times.

My thing with the 40 times is that the analysts are placing way to much value in them when they valuate players. And every year you see players rice or decline in the rankings just based on their 40 times.

I don't think that the 32 teams are stupid, and I think most of the smart ones have decision makers that puts more value in their scouts reports than what they can see in a 40 time at the combine.

I like watching the Combine because it helps me to get a look at these kids, that I for the most don't know that well.

I think the teams get some thing out of it too, but the value of it should not be overstated. And if you listen to the coaches you'll often hear that the most valuable to get from this week is the interviews with the players, and the chance to get your doctors to get the medical valuation of the players that is otherwise confidential.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast