Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Agressive but Smart should be the theme

I know its easy to say we need to get every top, big name FA that is available but we need to remember 2 important things to be.

I really belive from a business stand point, this is the way that the Vikings need to go and heres why. We all know that the media likes to paint a negative image of this team every chance it gets. Right or wrong it is always blown way out of proportion.
    Love boat, McKinnie, BJ in the stairwell(my favorite
    ;D) Dumb? Yes but is it something that does not go on everyday buy normal people like you and I? Yes.
    But you take something like the Vikings visiting sick kids, helping build a playground ect it gets hghardly any press coverage at all.
    Hell even something like Kenechi and Lukemia, not to exploit the situation but here could of been a situation to try to bring more attention to the issue of Lukemia now that someone that was at least known that had it. There are several FA ut there that help this team, but we also need to make sure that they help the team in the long and the short run.
    We unfortunatly do not, and cannot sign every player that wants 7-10 Million a year, its not possible, we don't have that kind of money.
    Will their be players that we all wanted and be mad that we didn't get them? Yes. But when you start klooking at all of the players you get mad about not signing and then start addding up those contracts, compaired to how much money we have
    Yeah I know we all want to have the big name, big time FA, and you can insert many names into who that is, But we also cannot have 1 or 2 guys that take up a good portion of our cap space either.
    one bigger name and several second teir guys in the long run, with the smaller contracts.
    Although many people may not like the names they will make this team better in the long run, both as far as cap room and overal depth of the team.
    Think of it this way you see that big 65" TV, The nice Blu Ray DVD player, and the kick ass Home theater system yeah I want that but when you are all done with buying you realize you have no money to buy the nice leather coach to sit in, the DVD's to play, or for that matter the house payment because you spent it. So yeah the 37" TV may be smaller, it still looks good, the Upconvert DVD player ect, you get the idea but you still have money for other things as well.

With that being said The Vikings are by far the biggest team in the state,
    that also means there is more pressure on this team to win, other teams like the Gophers, Wild, Twins, T-Wolves, they have loosing seasons most fans, even avg fans take the approacjh of "Oh well, it just was not out year, they are youndg and developing, ect. This is not the case for the Vikings.
    Its a win now or else. Sad but true in the eyes of most people. The Vikings have to start changing the image of this team, both in the players and in the win column especially if we are going to get a new stadium.The smart thing to do would be to not give the legislature a chance to say that we don't deserve a stadium, Show them that we can win, we can have solid players both on and off the field and we run a smart business which is bottom line what the Vikings are, a Business. If they do that and I honestly belive it needs to be this year and they can make this team positve and marketable in the public eye and there is still no support for a stadium, Then wilf as much as we don't want it would have every right to move this team. A new image of the team needs to happen this year, I belive it can and it will.

Sorry for the long rant, maybe it makes sense maybe it doesn't but I have been thinking of this for a while, and hopefully people see the Big picture as to the who and why of the FA that sign here and those we don't purse.
    Thanks for reading.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Agressive but Smart should be the theme

:
    The peoblem is we have been targetting some preety bargin basement players in the last FA. Some have worked out some haven't. I think we need to get a solid DE or trade up to get a game changer in the draft( Gholston, i'm talking to you). With some many DEs already Tagged, the market is going to be thin and expensive.

Either get Smith for a good price or Trade some of our picks to move up.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think they will hold true to form.

They will target guys that are coming out of thier first contracts that fit the scheme, have some upside and aren't to over priced.

I one were to do a bit of research into the guys on the FA lists you would probably narrow it down to a couple of guys they are targeting.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

no matter how much the vikings spend, they always find a way to manipulate cap figures to leave space in the future..im not worried about big money guys screwing up our chances of doing more next offseason
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"kevoncox" wrote:
    :
    The peoblem is we have been targetting some preety bargin basement players in the last FA. Some have worked out some haven't. I think we need to get a solid DE or trade up to get a game changer in the draft( Gholston, i'm talking to you). With some many DEs already Tagged, the market is going to be thin and expensive.

We did target Kevin Curtis and Wes Welker before we signed Bobby Wade.

And Daniel Grahm before we signed Visanthe Shiancoe.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"happy" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    :

Targetted them but that is way different than signing them. Sure they probably didn't want to play here, but if you offered enough money they probably would have. I believe they had atleast 15 million in cap space last season so they could have given any of those guys a front loaded contract and this years cap number would not be out of line, I think a truly good team would use every resource they have, including cap space.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    :

Targetted them but that is way different than signing them. Sure they probably didn't want to play here, but if you offered enough money they probably would have. I believe they had atleast 15 million in cap space last season so they could have given any of those guys a front loaded contract and this years cap number would not be out of line, I think a truly good team would use every resource they have, including cap space.
    Can't speak in regards to Welker and Grahm, but Curtis took less money than the Vikings offered to sign with the Eagles...which isn't a good sign.
    Hopefully having AD and a powerful running game for two seasons straight will attract prospective FAs this year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    :

And thus the name Bryzcheapski was formed...... ;D

Seriously though, I would love to see them spend every damn dime of thier CAP but that is kindof crazy.
    What happens if someone goes down?

Gotta have something in reserve to get a guy in.

By the way, I pick at Bryz a bunch but think he really does a great job.
    Sure hope someone at some NFL team with a Shitty GM doesn't take notice and give him a job.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg