Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Aggressiveness in free agency shows Vikings had urgency

[size=13pt]Aggressiveness in free agency shows urgency[/size]

The Vikings, with several key players in their prime, stopped looking too far into the future and sought immediate help.

Last update: March 2, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com

Brad Childress' phone has buzzed with fervor for the past week. As rumors spread about the Vikings' ambitious plan for free agency, Childress received text messages, voice mails and had a number of live conversations with his some of his most prominent players....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Aggressiveness in free agency shows Vikings had urgency

Q. Gray from the JAGS would be a good pick up at QB. He played will in Garrard's absence and could push for the starting job. Plus, he is a UFA and won't break the bank. Thoughts???

IBleedPurple11 is offline Pro-Bowler

"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    Q. Gray from the JAGS would be a good pick up at QB. He played will in Garrard's absence and could push for the starting job. Plus, he is a UFA and won't break the bank. Thoughts???
    I'd be happy with that....a little competition never hurts. We need to get SOMEONE.

*SKOL!*

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    I'd be happy with that....a little competition never hurts. We need to get SOMEONE.
    Competition for what?
    The backup job?

I'm confused, does anyone really believe that anyone other than TJ is gonna start next year.
    Another thing, does anyone think that having someone on the roster is gonna make TJ work any harder?

Fact of the matter is we are watching this staff hold true to thier plan.

A.
    They are now filling holes with guys in the FA market that provide immediate starters at key positions of need.
    Those players are coming off of thier first contract so in essence, they will be with the team for the long run.

B.
    The rookie classes from 2006 and 2007 will continue to mature on the field and will continue to start in thier respective positions as well as the guys that were immediate backups will have the right to compete for a starters job.

C. The staff will draft wisely and will get young kids that will fill actual roster positions that are actually open because a player left due to FA, Injury/illness or outright cut.

If/when they replace KH on the roster I would imagine it will be a rookie in the later rounds.

By the way, I am getting a sneaky feeling that we might see BB on the roster one more year because there just isn't anything out there to replace him with and he does know the system.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

It is my belief that Peterson changed everything in Minnesota. From the excitement of the fans and organization to the way the team is viewed through out the league.
    The commishiner would love to see Peterson in the playoffs and superbowl. It would be good for the NFL.
    Peterson woke this team up. And though I still believe Childress et. al. need 5 yrs. to get it done,it could happen sooner.

Either way, this team is on the rise. And I'm excited to see what's next.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

IBleedPurple11 is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    Competition for what?
    The backup job?

I'm confused, does anyone really believe that anyone other than TJ is gonna start next year.
    Another thing, does anyone think that having someone on the roster is gonna make TJ work any harder?

A.
    They are now filling holes with guys in the FA market that provide immediate starters at key positions of need.
    Those players are coming off of thier first contract so in essence, they will be with the team for the long run.

B.
    The rookie classes from 2006 and 2007 will continue to mature on the field and will continue to start in thier respective positions as well as the guys that were immediate backups will have the right to compete for a starters job.

C. The staff will draft wisely and will get young kids that will fill actual roster positions that are actually open because a player left due to FA, Injury/illness or outright cut.

If/when they replace KH on the roster I would imagine it will be a rookie in the later rounds.

By the way, I am getting a sneaky feeling that we might see BB on the roster one more year because there just isn't anything out there to replace him with and he does know the system.
    Competition for the starting Job....anyone can come in and impress the coaches and take Jacksons job....It's not like he is Peyton or Brady...I know they want to stick to their plan and I hope they do....Im just saying whoever we bring in will deff. be trying to take Jacksons starting job...and I like that because it will light a fire under his ass.

PS: Bro, I dont think you ever agree with anoyone on this board...all you do is find the smallest mistake/Error/Mispelling/ in their post and try to make yourself sound like you know everything. Quite annoying if you ask me.....I'm ready for you to come back with some stupid response, so go ahead.

*SKOL!*

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    It is my belief that Peterson changed everything in Minnesota. From the excitement of the fans and organization to the way the team is viewed through out the league.
    The commishiner would love to see Peterson in the playoffs and superbowl. It would be good for the NFL.
    Peterson woke this team up. And though I still believe Childress et. al. need 5 yrs. to get it done,it could happen sooner.

Either way, this team is on the rise. And I'm excited to see what's next.
    Excellent post.

I wonder if they will have to have help selling out again this year.
    If they do then the Wilfs need to seriously come down and take a look at Bowers hill here in Southeastern VA.

Me and Seanimck7 (did I spell it right that time) will helpem sell er out for years to come.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

I'm pumped about this Free Agency period... almost more than any other year...

So excited, in fact, I even got a green dot for it...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    Competition for what?
    The backup job?

A.

B.

Competition for the starting Job....anyone can come in and impress the coaches and take Jacksons job....It's not like he is Peyton or Brady...I know they want to stick to their plan and I hope they do....Im just saying whoever we bring in will deff. be trying to take Jacksons starting job...and I like that because it will light a fire under his jiggly butt.

PS: Bro, I dont think you ever agree with anoyone on this board...all you do is find the smallest mistake/Error/Mispelling/ in their post and try to make yourself sound like you know everything. Quite annoying if you ask me.....I'm ready for you to come back with some stupid response, so go ahead.
    Sure someone can come in and take his job, but at this point who?

PS: Bro, I do agree with alot of people and I don't ever correct on grammar or mispellings.
    I think you have me missremembered with someone else.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    Competition for what?
    The backup job?

A.

B.

Marr. It sounds like you've given TJ the starting job. Shouldn't it always be about putting the best players on the field. If TJ isn't the best, why should we sign lesser talent to hide
    that flaw. TJ should only be on the field if he is the best QB we have on our roster. Avoiding good Qbs to ensure TJ starts is the perfect way to keep us average.

Bring in Gray and if he is able to lead this team better than TJ bench is # 7 wearing arse.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast