Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Agent: Tarvaris Jackson popular pick

I think TJ was a good pickup for where he was drafted. But the fans in Minnesota will not stand for enough time for him to be brought along properly. Minnesota fans want instant success out of their draft picks or they will be unmercifully cruel to the people who drafted him.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Fri, May. 12, 2006

[size=18px]Jackson earning praise[/size]

College coaches insist second-rounder was not a 'reach'

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Doug Williams bristles when he hears someone question Tarvaris Jackson's NFL future because Jackson played at Alabama State, a historically black Division I-AA school in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Williams starred at Grambling, another historically black university in the same conference, and he enjoyed a successful NFL career that included an MVP performance in Super Bowl XXII for the Washington Redskins.

"I've seen him throw three on me one day when I was coaching at Grambling (in 2003)," Williams said of Jackson. "I knew the kid had some ability. It's unfortunate because he went to a small school, and people put them down. Let's not beat up on Tarvaris becomes he comes from Alabama State and he's African-American."

Some NFL analysts criticized the Vikings' selection of Jackson at the end of the second round as a "reach," especially because he was projected as a fourth-round pick and selected ahead of better-known quarterbacks such as Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst and Alabama's Brodie Croyle.

Leading to the draft, his school's own Web site reported that Jackson "could get the call on day two," meaning in rounds four through seven.

Jackson said he kept his draft expectations quiet because he didn't want to sound arrogant. But his head coach, Charles Coe, had spoken to enough NFL personnel executives to believe that Jackson would be selected in the top three rounds.

"There are a lot of tremendous athletes that have come out of historically black universities. Doug Williams and Steve McNair, Jerry Rice and Walter Payton," Coe said. "People have to understand there is a lot of great talent at historically black colleges. Tarvaris is one of those guys.

"I'm very blessed to have coached him here."

Williams, now a personnel executive for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, said Jackson deserves to be listed among the high-profile quarterbacks taken earlier in the draft.

"He can do everything that Jay Cutler can do. In fact, he might be a better athlete and stronger," Williams said. "He's faster than Matt Leinart, and he can throw the ball better than Vince Young. It's going to be hard to find a guy with as much talent as Tarvaris Jackson."

Vikings coach Brad Childress is elated Jackson is on his roster. He already has his assistant coaches working with the rookie. Quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers, who schooled Donovan Mc Nabb at Syracuse University, has talked to Jackson at 3 p.m. every day on the telephone.

"The best thing to say is that the position coach and that guy are joined at the hip," Childress said of Jackson and Rogers.

Childress said the emphasis early for Jackson will be learning the fundamentals of his position and mastering the Vikings' West Coast offense.

"The pressure he puts on himself will be much greater than anything than I can or anyone else will create," Childress said.

Jackson agreed.

"There's no pressure. I put enough pressure on myself," he said. "But I'm happy to be labeled a quarterback of the future. That's a good thing."

Jackson hasn't spoken to Vikings starter Brad Johnson yet. But he has heard positive things from his position coach at Alabama State, Reggie Barlow, who was a teammate of Johnson's when they won the Super Bowl with the Buccaneers in 2003.

"(Barlow) had a lot of good things to say about Brad," Jackson said. "This year, I just want to learn as much as possible from Brad. He's a good quarterback, and he led a team to a Super Bowl."

Jackson is taking a patient approach to his apprenticeship.

"You want to play as soon as possible," he said, "but I am not going to rush myself. When the coaches feel I'm ready, they'll put me in."

Coe said Jackson won't fail for a lack of effort.

"He's one of the first ones in the weight room and one of the last ones to leave," Coe said. "He's a competitor. But he takes coaching very well."

For now, Jackson is keeping things in perspective.

"I've seen guys that had the talent to be in the NFL not make it because of off-the-field problems or they didn't apply themselves," he said. "I've seen friends put in jail and killed. So I just learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of everyone else. A lot of people helped me along the way."

Jackson, who started his collegiate career at the University of Arkansas, doesn't second-guess his decision to transfer to Alabama State.

"I was at a Division I school, but it didn't work out," he said. "But I feel everything happens for a reason. I had fun playing football at Alabama State, and I don't wish my career would have gone any other way than it did."

Jackson isn't bothered by criticism of where he was chosen in the draft or his skills.

"It motivates me," he said. "It fuels me to work harder every day."

Briefly: The attorney for ousted Vikings personnel executive Fran Foley said he and the NFL are waiting for a response from the team on his request for an arbitration hearing before Commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

Jeffrey Kessler said the Vikings have until May 22 to respond, and then a hearing date will be set.

The Vikings declined comment. But Kessler said he expected the Vikings to wait until the 22nd.

Kessler said he will encourage the NFL to decide the matter next month and he expected the league to set a date in June.

Asked if Foley is a candidate for either the Houston Texans or St. Louis Rams personnel jobs, Kessler said, "I won't comment on that."

• The Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League are expected to announce the signing of former Vikings running back Onterrio Smith today, general manager Brendan Taman said Thursday.

Although Smith is eligible for reinstatement into the NFL in October, he will be obligated to play for the Bombers through their season, which ends in mid-November.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

Jackson earning praise

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Personaly, I'll be more than happy to give him 2 years......This year will be nothing more than a season of learning and developing skills..

Year two should see him getting some playing time, possibly even fighting for a starting position, but more than likely year 2 he will be the #1 backup.......I can see him starting 3 seasons from now, and this is when Brad will more than likely retire......Hopefully with 2 superbowl rings, hell maybe even 3....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I wish that the mini-camp was open to the public, I would really like to be able to see Jackson and Greenway and see how they look. I believe that practice this weekend will be no pads and shorts but I would like to see how they move and see how quickly they learn.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:
    ejmat,
    You're like some of the other people on this board. You like the pick but you aren't sure enough that we needed to trade our picks to get him. We should have gotten with the 51 overall IMO and got an OL in the 3rd round. But the draft is over and there's nothing we can do about it. I am ok with our draft.
    I would say that's pretty accurate. The draft is over and I trust the Vikings' FO more than I trust me. I have my opinions and I may be right or wrong. I really don't know enough about TJ to say whether or not I like the pick. You just never know who's going to be a star and who's going to be a bust. Like I stated, I may not agree with it but who am I to say?

IMO if you feel strongly about a guy and it's after the Vikes first 2 picks of the draft, you go after him and get him ... Who cares if the media and rest feel it's a "reach" ... you just go get the guy as I also trust the Vikes scouting department more than the media and others throwing their opinions in the ring.
    I agree if you feel strongly about a guy you go for him regardless of what the media thinks and regardless of what I think. However, if they felt that strongly about him why didn't they get him when they chose Ryan Cook?
    Cook would have definately been around for one of the 2 3rd round picks.

Again, just my opinion and I will stick by the FOs decision. At this time I don't agree with how they did it not with who they chose.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Thu, May. 04, 2006

[size=18px]Agent: Rookie quarterback popular pick[/size]

Staff and news service reports
    St. Paul Pioneer Press

The agent for newly drafted Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson said two NFL personnel executives told him that they planned to take Jackson early in the third round.

"After the draft, there were two clubs that expressed disappointment and were mad they didn't get him," Joel Segal said. "They were planning to take (Jackson) very high in the third round, and were lamenting the fact that the Vikings beat them."

Segal's other clients include Reggie Bush, Michael Vick, Darren Sharper and DeAngelo Hall.

The Vikings traded their two third-round picks to the Pittsburgh Steelers to get the final pick of the second round. On Saturday, Vikings then-vice president Fran Foley said the team made the move because it didn't want to risk not getting Jackson.

Vikings minicamp starts May 13.

— Sean Jensen

Briefly: The San Francisco 49ers signed unrestricted free agent safety Chad Williams. Williams played for four years with the Baltimore Ravens after being a sixth-round draft pick from Southern Mississippi in 2002. San Francisco coach Mike Nolan coached Williams during his stint as Ravens defensive coordinator

Agent: Rookie quarterback popular pick

Wow thats a pretty impressive list right there.Glad we got Jackson, the real S.O.D.!!
    Yeah...well if Segal is SUCH a great agent WHY did he end up costing Reggie Bush the top spot in the draft???

The dude is just a self-aggrandizing, pompous, lying self-promoter...who just wants to make his client look better than he really is!

The ONLY proof that I will require is his performance on the field...NOTHING his weenie agent says will make me think differently about this pick UNTIL then!!!

So what you are actually saying is that houston made the right choice by taking Mario over Reggie? Since you said that Segel makes his clients out to be better then they are, Houston must have caught on to that.

ZDoy379 is offline Starter

"He can do everything that Jay Cutler can do. In fact, he might be a better athlete and stronger," Williams said. "He's faster than Matt Leinart, and he can throw the ball better than Vince Young. It's going to be hard to find a guy with as much talent as Tarvaris Jackson."
    Best part of the article
    Coming from another great quarterback that was from the I-AA or the "black league", some people can see Tarvaris being compared to Doug Williams. We'll see. I love this kid.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"ZDoy379" wrote:
    Best part of the article
    Coming from another great quarterback that was from the I-AA or the "black league", some people can see Tarvaris being compared to Doug Williams. We'll see. I love this kid.
    Sounds eerily like my post from Sat. May 6 in this very thread!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:
    Best part of the article
    Sounds eerily like my post from Sat. May 6 in this very thread!
    That's the problem with threads with a growing number of pages . . . some people don't take the time to read everyone. I'm part of that "some" group as well. :lol:

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

ZDoy379 is offline Starter

well good jargo we both think the same. i didnt know u could be the only one to say that. i was just expressing my opinion. ill check to see if you said it cuz i dont wanna be spoken about if i have the same opinions as you. that would just be wrong.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast