Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Advice for picking 17th: Good luck

[size=18px]Advice for picking 17th: Good luck[/size]

It's hard to say whether a 17th pick will be a star, but this much we know: The Vikings need a running back.

Mark Craig
    Last update: February 25, 2006 – 8:56 PM

INDIANAPOLIS - The Vikings should take USC running back LenDale White with the 17th pick of the NFL draft on April 29.

Now take that sentence, tuck it away in a hermetically sealed mayonnaise jar, open it in 10 years and feel free to laugh or genuflect in our direction. (But keep in mind that the back-seat suggestion was formulated with no stopwatch, hairspray, FBI report or knowledge of White's relative need for the Original Whizzinator.)

Would it be a great pick? Or a terrible pick? No clue.

No one knows for sure. Not a single coach, general manager, reporter or any of the many "insiders" stalking the Indiana Convention Center or the RCA Dome at this week's NFL scouting combine.

How do we know this? A 20-minute study of players selected 17th overall going back to 1983.

For instance, somewhere inside the St. Louis Cardinals' war room in the spring of 1983, a person cried out, "Yes! Leonard Smith, he's the man!" Smith was a safety from McNeese State. He wasn't bad. But history suggests Dan Marino (27th overall) or Darrell Green (28th) might have been a better choice.

In 1996, the Lions decided Reggie Brown of Texas A&M was the linebacker they needed at the 17th pick. Ray Lewis was drafted nine spots later. Colts receiver Marvin Harrison was taken 19th.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said he did "a little research on the 17th pick myself." The conclusion?

"It was about a 50-50 proposition, looking at who was taken," he said. "Some of them have been good picks and have been in the league for a while, and some of them haven't."

One of the best players in NFL history fell to No. 17 in 1990. Jimmy Johnson, in his second season as Cowboys coach, took a chance on a Florida running back who supposedly was too small for the NFL. His name? Emmitt Smith.

One of the best linemen in the league is Steve Hutchinson. The Seahawks picked him 17th overall out of Michigan in 2001. Today, he's the franchise player of the NFC champions.

New Rams coach Scott Linehan got where he is today by being an offensive expert who specializes in developing quarterbacks. But even he admits there could be a star QB somewhere in the RCA Dome today that no one's talking about. Heck, the guy might not even be here.

"The fun part about the combine and the draft is who's going to be the Tom Brady of this year's draft? Who's going to be that guy that 32 teams pass on for five rounds, gets picked in the sixth round and ends up being a future Hall of Famer?" Linehan said. "That's the fantasy part of the draft, I guess."

Giants General Manager Ernie Accorsi took it a step further. "Who's the next Willie Parker?" he said, referring to the Steelers' 1,200-yard rusher who broke off a Super Bowl-record 75-yard touchdown run in last month's victory over Seattle.

"He wasn't even drafted, and he wasn't [at the combine]," Accorsi added. "But without him, Pittsburgh might not have won a championship this season."

The Vikings' No. 1 need is running back. A big, strong pile mover that could carry most of the load, complement Mewelde Moore's style and take the heat off the quarterback, whomever he may be. Forget about Onterrio Smith. A yearlong drug suspension in 2005 and four more games the year before should be enough to convince the Vikings that this guy can't be trusted.

White is easily the biggest and strongest of the backs that are worthy of the first round. He's 6-0¾, 238 and was nearly 250 in the Rose Bowl when he ran for 124 yards, a 6.3 average and three touchdowns.

White also has some decent speed. He compared himself to Shaun Alexander, but "a little swifter," and Jamal Lewis. White won't run a 40-yard dash for scouts until his pro day on April 2. He expects to run in the 4.4s at his pro day on April 2. If he breaks 4.5, which is unlikely for his size, the Vikings probably won't even get the chance to select him.

Of course, all of this speculation could be laughed at 10 years from now. Who knows?

"It's like playing chess," said Cardinals coach Dennis Green when asked about the difficulty of accurately evaluating the draft. "Regardless of how much information you get on a player, anything can happen. That's what makes it a great game."

Mark Craig • [email protected]

Advice for picking 17th

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Advice for picking 17th: Good luck

good read definitly interesting
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I like it.. It says Smith fell to 17th cuz he was "too small" for some teams..

Maybe DeAngelo will fall for being "Too small" We can only hope

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

I like it ... I like it !!! If we are going RB, Lendale is the man for us. :lol:

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Just goes to show ya never, never know. Fans always want the "big name" players when often times coaches see something in a kid the fans have never heard of and the fans scream bloody murder at the staff that picked him until he proves to be a "stud."
    I can think of some real busts and some great players that were drafted by the Vikes way down the list.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

this year has bust written all over it near the top. i just hope the guy that falls to us isnt a bust. if it is a runningback, williams or white are fine by me.
    We're bringing purple back.

V4L

Williams>Maroney>White

Ddawg84 is offline Starter

Whatever we pick in the draft, will be based on what we do in FA... if we get a RB in FA I hope we go for linebacker in the draft... as much as we need line, I hate starting rookie lineman in the NFL. Try to get Bently and hopefully Toni "fat" Fonoti pans out!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I second that emotion!!! Let DeAngelo fall to us...he will rock the house next year...no doubt!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

V4L

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

I second that emotion!!! Let DeAngelo fall to us...he will rock the house next year...no doubt!!!

You got that right.. Pure stud! :smile:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast