Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Admiral's Offseason Positional Breakdown

"Admiral" wrote:
    Thanks jkjuggalo.

I do agree that the playcalling has been a part of the problem for TJ, and he has had good performances in which he made nice plays. My problem with him is more about just the way he comes across to me. To say that he looks lost on the field sometimes would be going too far, but I just don't get the feeling that he is in control and that he can lead a team and control the game. I can imagine that others feel differently about this, it's just the way it looks to me.

To marstc09:
    1. And you would demote Griffin to playing nickel? Clearly the names you mention would be upgrades and I would definitely like to see one of those on the team but I feel like Griffin is doing well enough that we can better spend our money elsewhere.
    2. I largely agree, but I feel like if we're going to draft a QB, we should get an elite prospect, and we won't find one at our current spot (most likely). If it comes down to trading Taylor to move up, I would do it, I wouldn't like to lose him but I feel he is the only player of serious value that we could afford to trade if the return is good.
    3. In principle I agree but as I said before we probably won't find an elite prospect at our current spot, and I feel like we should kinda do it right or not at all with drafting a QB, so if we could trade up then sure, otherwise after Jackson and
    Booty I've lost my confidence in the subtop "project" qb picks. What I don't understand tho is you say you want to pick a QB in rnd 1 and then let him battle for the nr 3 spot? Surely if we picked a QB in the first round he would be the future of the franchise, even if just for the contract he will have.
    actually, winfield himself said in the preseason he wanted to play nickel instead of outside, we jsut didn't have the personell to do that.
    With a guy like asomugah we would be able to have a solid rotation going in, keeping everyone fresh, which makes their job easier.
    and that way we wouldn't have a weak like like we did when we had to play Sapp this year.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah in nickle situations. Winfield didn't ask for a demotion to the 3rd CB.

Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    i understand that, but we'd be able to do what he wants, as well as having a solid rotation.
    You all like the rotating runningback situation, why not cornerback?
    Thats probably the position that involves the 2nd most amount of work, aside from maybe runningback.
    corners get gassed.
    having a rotation going woud keep them fresh, and help them play hard through the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line.

Admiral is offline Training Camp

"gregair13" wrote:
    So now that I have read the whole thing, I can finally comment on it.

- Finally someone who doesn't hate Griffin! He is a solid #2 behind Winfield.
    - Oline wise... We need a starting guard/tackle for the right side of the line. In addition to someone new, we need depth as well. Not only for the aging Birk, but for the jail bird Moutain on the other side.
    - I wouldn't mind a later round pick for a RB or WR just for the return game with some crazy speed.
    - I also think that I am the most critical of our receivers. Berrian has proven he is a deep thread. But we need something on the other side of him, a possession WR who can actually make plays (therefore not wade/rice). We gol 'darnit well better not waste another draft pick on a WR till at least the 3rd (or later) rounds. First two rounds might need to be the best player availble, but should probably be oline/secondary.
    - QB: Again, I feel that we should not be drafting another QB. We need a vetern type player (not gus) who can come in and challenge tjack for the starting spot. the team we have now is really close to a deep playoff run and with the right signal caller there is really nothing that can stop us.
    Nice comments, gotta agree with most of it. I would also like to see not neccessarily a veteran but at least an experienced and somewhat proven QB come in to fight for the job. We're a solid team otherwise and we don't really have time to go draft someone and develop them. I'm not sure I agree with what you say about the 2nd wideout. While it would be great to bring in someone who can fill that role, I still haven't given up on Rice. He has shown some very nice catches on tough balls. He just needs to become more consistent and stay healthy and then he could fill that role in my opinion.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    i understand that, but we'd be able to do what he wants, as well as having a solid rotation.
    Thats probably the position that involves the 2nd most amount of work, aside from maybe runningback.
    corners get gassed.

having a rotation going woud keep them fresh, and help them play hard through the 4th quarter, when the game is on the line.
    Yeah I don't think either one our starting CB's are down with a rotation, If they need a break we can put in Charles Gordon. I understand the want for a very expensive FA but I'm just not sold that its even gonna happen. Plus I'm a fanatic about the two we have now, there a big reason our run D is so nice. Once we get EJ and big Pat back next season its gonna be awesome. Tyrell Johnson is also gonna be beast in the run defense, this his is strength, far more than Sharper.

Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    corners get gassed.

Yeah I don't think either one our starting CB's are down with a rotation, If they need a break we can put in Charles Gordon. I understand the want for a very expensive FA but I'm just not sold that its even gonna happen. Plus I'm a fanatic about the two we have now, there a big reason our run D is so nice. Once we get EJ and big Pat back next season its gonna be awesome. Tyrell Johnson is also gonna be beast in the run defense, this his is strength, far more than Sharper.
    you ever hear the saying "coaches coach and players play"
    Its not up to our starters whether they want to rotate or not, its the coaches call.
    A guy like Asomugha is infinately better than Griffin, and probably better than Winfield (as much as you all will hate to admit it).
    He would be an upgrade for a position thats been hindering us the past decade.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    you ever hear the saying "coaches coach and players play"
    Its not up to our starters whether they want to rotate or not, its the coaches call.
    A guy like Asomugha is infinately better than Griffin, and probably better than Winfield (as much as you all will hate to admit it).
    He would be an upgrade for a position thats been hindering us the past decade.
    They yutz who keep saying that is wrong.

Players make shit up and win despite the coaches.
    Coaches just need to keep them in coffee during film sessions so that they can win.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Admiral" wrote:
    Thanks jkjuggalo.

I do agree that the playcalling has been a part of the problem for TJ, and he has had good performances in which he made nice plays. My problem with him is more about just the way he comes across to me. To say that he looks lost on the field sometimes would be going too far, but I just don't get the feeling that he is in control and that he can lead a team and control the game. I can imagine that others feel differently about this, it's just the way it looks to me.

To marstc09:
    1. And you would demote Griffin to playing nickel? Clearly the names you mention would be upgrades and I would definitely like to see one of those on the team but I feel like Griffin is doing well enough that we can better spend our money elsewhere.
    2. I largely agree, but I feel like if we're going to draft a QB, we should get an elite prospect, and we won't find one at our current spot (most likely). If it comes down to trading Taylor to move up, I would do it, I wouldn't like to lose him but I feel he is the only player of serious value that we could afford to trade if the return is good.
    3. In principle I agree but as I said before we probably won't find an elite prospect at our current spot, and I feel like we should kinda do it right or not at all with drafting a QB, so if we could trade up then sure, otherwise after Jackson and
    Booty I've lost my confidence in the subtop "project" qb picks. What I don't understand tho is you say you want to pick a QB in rnd 1 and then let him battle for the nr 3 spot? Surely if we picked a QB in the first round he would be the future of the franchise, even if just for the contract he will have.
    actually, winfield himself said in the preseason he wanted to play nickel instead of outside, we jsut didn't have the personell to do that.
    With a guy like asomugah we would be able to have a solid rotation going in, keeping everyone fresh, which makes their job easier.
    and that way we wouldn't have a weak like like we did when we had to play Sapp this year.
    No, Winfield did not say he "wanted to play nickel", he said he wouldn't mind covering the slot guy in nickle situations.
    Since the slot guy is often the big deal in 3-wides (it's where Steve Smith plays in those situations, for example) that's manning up and trying to take on the best the other team has.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234