Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Admiral's Offseason Positional Breakdown

There's talk in the media of the Vikes giving up their 1st and 2nd draft choices for Cassell and a $30 million payroll. I think that would be a HUGE mistake.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Admiral is offline Training Camp

"singersp" wrote:
    If they reach out to Garcia, they'll be reaching out too late. He should have been grabbed in the 2006 offseason when he was available. I knew sticking with BJ was a bad move.

Where would we be had we had him on the roster the past three seasons?
    While I would've been in favor of that move back then as well, I don't think it's too late, he still has a bit of gas in the tank. And as for where we would've been now had we signed him then... always easy to say what we should've done afterwards.

There's talk in the media of the Vikes giving up their 1st and 2nd draft choices for Cassell and a $30 million payroll. I think that would be a HUGE mistake.
    I'm not as strongly opposed to it as you, but that would be a pretty questionable move. Cassell may be the most promising available quarterback, he isn't exactly proven, and it's hard to tell how much he is benefitting from the patriots system and Moss. I wouldn't mind giving up our 1st and 2nd and a bunch of cap space for a QB, but with Cassell it seems like a move that can go horribly bust.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    +1

Isn't he a FA? so why should we give them a 1st and 2nd?
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    +1

Isn't he a FA? so why should we give them a 1st and 2nd?

He's gonna be tagged

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    at that price tag, i'd rather they spend a 2nd and try and trade for Derek Anderson... I think he'd be a better alternative than Cassell.... Cassell is a system QB... and benefits from scheming moreso than actual talent!...

ragz is offline GM

"Admiral" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    If they reach out to Garcia, they'll be reaching out too late. He should have been grabbed in the 2006 offseason when he was available. I knew sticking with BJ was a bad move.

While I would've been in favor of that move back then as well, I don't think it's too late, he still has a bit of gas in the tank. And as for where we would've been now had we signed him then... always easy to say what we should've done afterwards.

I'm not as strongly opposed to it as you, but that would be a pretty questionable move. Cassell may be the most promising available quarterback, he isn't exactly proven, and it's hard to tell how much he is benefitting from the patriots system and Moss. I wouldn't mind giving up our 1st and 2nd and a bunch of cap space for a QB, but with Cassell it seems like a move that can go horribly bust.
    i dont believe garcia would be an unquestioned starter, i mean he wasn't in tampa and he was competing with brian griese.
    he will compete and if he outplays jackson fine.
    but the only guy mentioned that i think would be an unquestioned starter is matt hasslebeck.
    everyone else would have to prove that we should continue to stunt the growth of a young qb to start a guy who we think can get us further.
    as marr said i dont really think garcia provides that, and i also dont think hasslebeck will actually be out there.
    if we improve other aspects of our offense then i think a garcia can get it done, but then again i think if we let jackson continue to grow i think he can too.
    but if as marr says, the staff seems to stay content with the problems we do have on offense, getting a garcia will not have us going any further, unless the defense becomes baltimore raven like.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Admiral" wrote:
    Not sure what to think of that nickname :P. I'll try to keep posting tho.
    Its not your nickname.
    I like to type "my f r i e n d" alot.
    Webby has a sick sense of humor and has the server convert it to "My Friend".
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    After reading a "ton" of stuff, I think Minnesota may go with either Derek Anderson, Sage Rosenfels or maybe Jeff Garcia. I'd really like us to reach out to Matt Hasselbeck, but I don't know how willing the Sea Chickens are to give the Vikings anything. Garcia isn't going to return to Tampa so we don't have to give up anything to get him. I don't think McNabb is an option (although that would be my #1 choice) and neither is Cassell.

Agreed.
    We already have 2 QB's that can go 9-7/10-6. Why bring him in.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Oh no doubt about it, funny thing is its completely false.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

So now that I have read the whole thing, I can finally comment on it.

- Finally someone who doesn't hate Griffin! He is a solid #2 behind Winfield.
    - Oline wise... We need a starting guard/tackle for the right side of the line. In addition to someone new, we need depth as well. Not only for the aging Birk, but for the jail bird Moutain on the other side.
    - I wouldn't mind a later round pick for a RB or WR just for the return game with some crazy speed.
    - I also think that I am the most critical of our receivers. Berrian has proven he is a deep thread. But we need something on the other side of him, a possession WR who can actually make plays (therefore not wade/rice). We damn well better not waste another draft pick on a WR till at least the 3rd (or later) rounds. First two rounds might need to be the best player availble, but should probably be oline/secondary.
    - QB: Again, I feel that we should not be drafting another QB. We need a vetern type player (not gus) who can come in and challenge tjack for the starting spot. the team we have now is really close to a deep playoff run and with the right signal caller there is really nothing that can stop us.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast