Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Admiral's Offseason Positional Breakdown

After reading a "ton" of stuff, I think Minnesota may go with either Derek Anderson, Sage Rosenfels or maybe Jeff Garcia. I'd really like us to reach out to Matt Hasselbeck, but I don't know how willing the Sea Chickens are to give the Vikings anything. Garcia isn't going to return to Tampa so we don't have to give up anything to get him. I don't think McNabb is an option (although that would be my #1 choice) and neither is Cassell.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Admiral is offline Training Camp

I had forgotten about Derek Anderson. Not so sure how I would feel about that though, he may have been a pro bowler, but he also got benched for a reason. I guess the best scenario would be Cassell, although personally I would prefer Garcia as he is one of my favorite players. If I am not mistaken Garcia is the only one of the bunch that will be a free agent (assuming Cassell gets franchised as many suggest), which makes him more attractive I suppose, unless the vikes staff rules him out because of his age.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"marstc09" wrote:
    Great post.

Couple things I don't agree with.

1. I am looking for an upgrade at CB. Dunta Robinson and Nnamdi Asomugha come to mind.

2. Never would I trade Taylor.

3. I don't want to draft an OT in the first round. FAs like Mark Tauscher sound like a better option. I want us to use a 1st round on a QB. Let that person and Booty battle it out for the 3rd spot.
    Mars I basically agree with your whole post, many of the same thoughts I have.

Two great options that I want at CB.
    I really would love to make Asomugha our primary free agent target.
    Robinson will come cheaper and can still give you great play but I believe that if we had Winfield and Nnamdi at corners with Griff playing nickel, our pass defense will shoot up the charts.

I also would not trade Taylor.
    How can you trade our only other offensive weapon beside All Day?
    And basically the only threat we had in a few.
    I mean how many times did you see A.D. get shut down and Chester come in and run the football hard and effectively?
    We cannot trade him.

I also don't want to see us use a first rounder on a OT.
    One name that really stands out to me besides Tauscher is Willie Colon from Pittsburgh.
    I think he would be a very solid option over on the right side of the line and he is still pretty young.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

I'm still wary of Matt Cassell.
    The Pats have a great offensive scheme that benefits from having Randy Moss in the line up.
    The Moss factor forces the opposing defense to double Randy and that opens up the opposite receiver and TE underneath.
    Chilly's offense forces the QB to throw the ball in tight coverage and is greatly dependant upon
    converting obvious 3rd down passing situations.
    The scheme needs to open up a bit or at least become more vertical in the passing game.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Its posts like this that make this site great.
    Way to go my friend. Automatically bump you up 3 columns on the ole spread sheet.

Quick question before I get into my comments........Why Admiral for a screen name?

"Admiral" wrote:
    Safety
    Verdict: Should look for some depth, perhaps a late draft pick.
    I kindof like the kid they drafted last year.
    Seems to be another year away from being a starter but I can see what the scouts liked about him.

I think they should address this position via FA by signing Nnamdi Asomugha.
    At 6-2/210 he would be a hell of a cover guy back there and it appears our Secondary coach does a good job of teaching our guys to help out in support of the run/tackling.
    Throw into that picture that alot of CB's move to S after they get a bit older and I think you provide a damn versatile player back there that our new D-coord can use in alot of ways.

Other options.....
    Sean Jones
    Oshiomogho Atogwe

Defensive end
    I've heard people talk about strengtening the DE position and I've even seen fantasy drafts that have us pick a DE in rnd 1, but I don't get it. Allen is obviously set, and I'd like to see Robison, Edwards and Udeze (should he return) battle it out for the opposite spot. My favorite would be Robison. I know he struggles against the run, but what I've seen he is a better pass rusher than Edwards and I really like the guy. Whichever way it goes the other one provides good depth to the position.
    Verdict: Rock solid, no need to upgrade.
    Problem for me is Edwards is really a RDE who tried to beef up a bit and fill in at LDE (in our base 4-3) which beat him up pretty bad.
    I would rather see the staff use Edwards and Robison as "Wave" guys.
    Bring them in as rotation guys as that would keep them fresh.
    Again, my focus is not sacks to reps in our Base defense which alot of people ignore when they look at this position. Get Keneche back and get a guy like Tyson Jackson (6-5/290) to give Keneche reps off in our base 4-3.

Tackle
    McKinney should be good to fill the LT position for years to come, if he can keep himself out of trouble. If he doesn't, Hicks has impressed me when filling in, and should stay on the roster at least as the primary backup. I'm not sure if he is good enough to start a whole season tho. On the right side, I'd like penaltymagnet Ryan Cook to leave as soon as possible. He's had his chance and he has messed up repeatedly. Hicks may be suited to start at RT, otherwise we would need to bring someone in.
    Verdict: RT a likely target for first round pick.
    Only problem for me is that the staff hasn't done anything to upgrade the RT position for a couple of years.
    What makes us think they will do otherwise now?

Sure Cook has had issues, but he seems to be getting better.
    Best indicator for me in that area is the amount of times we saw him left alone and the yards Shanc started to get this year.

But that stuff together and I don't think the staff (even though most fans think so) has much concern out there.
    Now if the plan has always bee to let him learn the scheme out there at RT and then move him in to C, then yes, use a high pick here but I still say LDE will/should be our biggest concer with DT possibly the next area of concern.

Guard
    Hutch is clearly one of the best in the business, and altho I initially wasn't a fan of him, Herrera has really played well. Starters should be set. Hicks should do just fine as backup to both positions, unless he manages to secure the RT spot. If he does, we should look for a backup for the interior.
    Verdict: Depending on what happens with Hicks, seek a backup through FA or nothing.
    Been advocating getting rid of Hicks for years.
    Just can't seem to get rid of the guy.
    Actually had to eat crow and accept that he has some value.......Silly fan, wrong again.
    ;D

Center
    Insiders seem to believe the Vikes won't resign Birk. Altho the coaches seem to be quite enthousiastic about Sullivan, I'm not sure it's a good idea to let go of Birk yet. I do believe Sullivan could be Birk's future replacement, but if at all possible I would hold on to Birk for another couple of years, he is still playing well.
    Verdict: Resign Birk unless cap really doesn't permit it, otherwise start Sullivan and sign a FA backup.
    Cook could be in there as well, however, I still say that 6'6" is just to damn tall.

Birk will be allowed to test the FA market.
    If there isn't alot of interest I could see him signing a lowball contract for a year or two.
    Best indicator of this is the fact that this staff likes to resign their vets 1 year early.
    That didn't happen with Matt.

Fullback
    While I was rather gobsmacked when I heard that Tahi was being chosen over Tapeh, he did prove himself. He does need work on his pass catching ability, and it may not hurt to draft a FB in a later round for some competition. I'm not a big fan myself of the FB/TE crossover type guys like Dugan, but I suppose it can't hurt to have him on the roster for some depth, he did make some plays for us this year.
    Verdict: Late round draft pick to compete with Tahi.
    I could see a late round pick here.
    Problem is, I am still trying to figure out what Mills role is on this team.
    They brought him in for something.
    Last year I thought it was to be a FB/H-back and then the brought in Tapeh. That didn't work out real well.

I still think they will move him to F-back/Hback.
    Don't see many changes with respect to this roster spot.
    Again, Klieny will be allowed to test the market. Wouldn't be suprised to see him gone next year.
    IMHO he will be missed.

Wide Receiver
    Verdict: Possibly sign a FA, but starters just need to step up their game.
    Houshmandzadeh is the obvious choice.
    I kindof like Bryant Johnson as well.
    He does have 6 years of experience (which kindof goes against the norm for this staff) but I like his size.

Verdict: Get Jeff Garcia and prepare to draft a top QB prospect either this or next year (may need to deal CT to trade up).
    For some reason this cat just worries me.
    We seem to be looking for a guy who has "IT" and to date Garcia, although he fits the system really has never shown "IT". We can go 9-7/10-6 with what we have.
    Get me a guy in here who can do a bit better than that.

I like the idea of trying to get Hassleback as a first option but believe there might be some bad blood there between the organizations.
    Bulger is a interesting option.
    Quick with his reads and release.
    Anyway, two better options than Garcia.

Special Teams
    Verdict: May want to draft a return ace in round 3-4 and/or sign a special teamer who can tackle in FA.
    Kluwe's distance is great but without hang time to go along with it, it actually causes the coverage to be worse than it already is.
    Lets not forget, alot of people are blaming the coverage unit for poor tackling (and some of that is justified) but at times during the year, alot of our better tacklers who start on Defenser were out there missing tackles as well.

Again, for me it gets back to how the ball is kicked.
    I think we should look at a guy (Vet or Rook) who can punt and KO.
    Would get us more distance on KO's, saving Shortwells old leg for just FG's and PAT's as well as improving our Punt coverage.

I like the idea of a WR/KR but didn't we bring in a couple of them last year?

Anyway, great stuff my friend.
    Keep this kindof stuff coming.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Admiral is offline Training Camp

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Its posts like this that make this site great.
    Way to go My Sexy Little Pixie. Automatically bump you up 3 columns on the ole spread sheet.
    Thanks

Quick question before I get into my comments........Why Admiral for a screen name?
    I picked this screen name as kind of a tribute to the late Amsterdam Admirals. Not extremely original but hey, I was a big fan and they were the reason I got into football.

I think they should address this position via FA by signing Nnamdi Asomugha.
    At 6-2/210 he would be a hell of a cover guy back there and it appears our Secondary coach does a good job of teaching our guys to help out in support of the run/tackling.
    Throw into that picture that alot of CB's move to S after they get a bit older and I think you provide a gol 'darnit versatile player back there that our new D-coord can use in alot of ways.
    I like the sound of it but with the way the organisation has used and talked about Tyrell Johnson I would expect him to be the starter next year (unless Sharper returns).

Only problem for me is that the staff hasn't done anything to upgrade the RT position for a couple of years.
    What makes us think they will do otherwise now?
    Well to me the fact that he got benched this year said that Childress finally realised cook wasn't all that great. I suppose he did make some progress but I still don't feel like he's a valid starter. Let's just hope they feel it is enough of a need to address it this year.

Birk will be allowed to test the FA market.
    If there isn't alot of interest I could see him signing a lowball contract for a year or two.
    Best indicator of this is the fact that this staff likes to resign their vets 1 year early.
    That didn't happen with Matt.
    Seems the most likely scenario, although I am a little nervous about it, the organization seems to feel they've got successors to both Birk (Sullivan) and Sharper (Johnson) in place, but I would've liked to see them learning behind the vets for just a little bit longer than the year they have had now.

I could see a late round pick here.
    Problem is, I am still trying to figure out what Mills role is on this team.
    They brought him in for something.
    Last year I thought it was to be a FB/H-back and then the brought in Tapeh. That didn't work out real well.
    From what I gathered they pretty much brought him in to fill a roster hole, and then were surprised by his ability to catch the ball as a TE. He has done virtually nothing this year tho, so I feel he could (should?) be gone next year. If your thoughts about him being used as a FB/H-back are true I would say he has to fight Dugan for a roster spot.

Houshmandzadeh is the obvious choice.
    I kindof like Bryant Johnson as well.
    He does have 6 years of experience (which kindof goes against the norm for this staff) but I like his size.
    TJ would be great, but it seems to me like the price may be too high. He hasn't had an awesome year but that is mostly due to the Bengals playing horrible and losing their QB. I'm not so sure the vikes will be willing to pay big for another receiver after our streak of first round picks and breaking the bank for Berrian.

For some reason this cat just worries me.
    We seem to be looking for a guy who has "IT" and to date Garcia, although he fits the system really has never shown "IT". We can go 9-7/10-6 with what we have.
    Get me a guy in here who can do a bit better than that.

I like the idea of trying to get Hassleback as a first option but believe there might be some bad blood there between the organizations.
    Bulger is a interesting option.
    Quick with his reads and release.
    Anyway, two better options than Garcia.
    Well again, this is really more of a personal preference than the best option. It's true that Garcia never really became a star, although I do feel he would be an upgrade over what we have in his experience and leadership and just the fact that he would be the unquestioned starter.
    Bulger seems like a decent option but are the Rams really looking to get rid of him? I haven't really followed the situation there.

I like the idea of a WR/KR but didn't we bring in a couple of them last year?
    As far as I can remember we signed Maurice Hicks to be the kick returner but he just seems to have zero explosiveness.

Anyway, great stuff My Sexy Little Pixie.
    Keep this kindof stuff coming.
    Not sure what to think of that nickname :P. I'll try to keep posting tho.

ancoin is offline Starter

"marstc09" wrote:
    1. I am looking for an upgrade at CB. Dunta Robinson and Nnamdi Asomugha come to mind.
    Are they great payers sure but scheme! Asomugha is the best cover corner in the nfl and who ever signs him with blow the bank. I do not believe vikings will nor need to sign a $$ cover guy like Asomugha. We cannot just throw players we would like to have out there, need some reasoning. Look at the Cowgirls you want a solid core on the team and cap for the future.

Thank to Lotza

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

There is alot of talk about CB but I just don't see it happening, I think for the big reason that we would either have to bench Antoine Winfield or Cedric Griffin, I really don't see that happening, especailly Griffin and the way he has played. He was a 2nd round pick and picked to be the future, after showing the ability to be the future why would we bench him? Winfield just got selected to the Pro-Bowl and continues to be a big part of why our run defense is so great. Not to mention the guy was a savior when things wern't looking so good early in the season.

Bottom Line I just don't see it, especailly with the possble return of a physical Chuck Gordon and Benny Sapp. IMO its a Pipe Dream to expect us to go after a very expensive FA CB.

Wow Admiral great analysis! This is the best offseason thread so far, some great discussion going on here.

As most of you I feel the biggest question in the off season will be our QB situation. I am also hoping we can land Garcia he would be a great fit and give the Vikes a couple year extension in finding our long term qb.

I would not be opposed to Rosenfells eithier. I think he is highly underrated and he did not help his cause by fumbling away the game to the Colts. I still think Garcia will be the best option to fit in the system and as you mentioned he will be a free agent so we wont have to give something up to acquire him.

I really think something will be done at the QB position. People always say chilly is in love with T jack but, there has been numerous attempts for other QB's. We tried trading for Rosenfells in the off season also the vikes apparently made an attempt to snag Quinn from the Browns at the trading deadline this season.

As for the center position, I hope Birk does not return. His play has diminished greatly. His blitz pick up was horrid this year. I think we should draft/sign a new right tackle, then move Cook back to center and let him battle it out with Sullivan for the starting spot

For CB I do not see us spending big bucks here. The availiable FA's this offseason will be demanding large amounts of money. The way Griffin played down the stretch will give the coaches some confidence in that position. Hopefully Gordon returns, Sapp seemed to make a lot of dumb selfish mistakes and was not all that solid in coverage.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    After reading a "ton" of stuff, I think Minnesota may go with either Derek Anderson, Sage Rosenfels or maybe Jeff Garcia. I'd really like us to reach out to Matt Hasselbeck, but I don't know how willing the Sea Chickens are to give the Vikings anything. Garcia isn't going to return to Tampa so we don't have to give up anything to get him. I don't think McNabb is an option (although that would be my #1 choice) and neither is Cassell.
    If they reach out to Garcia, they'll be reaching out too late. He should have been grabbed in the 2006 offseason when he was available. I knew sticking with BJ was a bad move.

Where would we be had we had him on the roster the past three seasons?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast