Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ranger is offline Coach

Re: About those offseason workouts

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Welcome to the 2009 NFL season. Well sort of.

Today, marks the first day that teams can conduct offseason workouts or minicamps. That’s why you’re reading that disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler failed to attend a meeting at that team’s facility or that Washington running back Clinton Portis is expected to be a no-show for day one of the Washington Redskins workout program.

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2633
    Funny people seem to foget just how little time these guys have off.
    There really is only about 2 months to "enjoy" your money. Most of these guys are hundreds of miles away from their family and friends. It may just put somethings in perspective.

I'm dating a girl that once dated a Skins DT and she tells me all of the he time how miserable he was being a country boy in Washington DC. I know they make a lot of money but theu sacrific their bodies and family time for the sport.
    And most people only have saturdays and sundays off while working 40 hour weeks all year.

If I got paid multi-million dollars per year to be in great shape, work 35 hours a week, and get 2-3 months off depending on your team's success. I'd keep my mouth shut and shut up and do everything I'm asked or told by my coaches.

I don't sympathize with today's NFL players. Guys did it years ago for a fraction of the money. I sympathize with those guys who get treated like dog pooh when they're careers ended.
    Money isn't everything...Atleast you have access to family and friends.
    Some of these guys are really lonely.
    I think they work more than 35 hours a week btw. Film, lifting, practice, walk thrus, travel and lastly, games...account for more than 35 hours a day.
    I work a minimum of 84 hour work weeks for less than these guys make per game, so if it's that hard on them, they can either quit or go buy some tampons or a straw to suck it up with.

Big Matt is offline Starter

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51016.msg922984#msg922984 date=1237229390]

Today, marks the first day that teams can conduct offseason workouts or minicamps. That’s why you’re reading that disgruntled Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler failed to attend a meeting at that team’s facility or that Washington running back Clinton Portis is expected to be a no-show for day one of the Washington Redskins workout program.

There really is only about 2 months to "enjoy" your money. Most of these guys are hundreds of miles away from their family and friends. It may just put somethings in perspective.

I'm dating a girl that once dated a Skins DT and she tells me all of the he time how miserable he was being a country boy in Washington DC. I know they make a lot of money but theu sacrific their bodies and family time for the sport.
    And most people only have saturdays and sundays off while working 40 hour weeks all year.

If I got paid multi-million dollars per year to be in great shape, work 35 hours a week, and get 2-3 months off depending on your team's success. I'd keep my mouth shut and shut up and do everything I'm asked or told by my coaches.

I don't sympathize with today's NFL players. Guys did it years ago for a fraction of the money. I sympathize with those guys who get treated like dog pooh when they're careers ended.
    I think they work more than 35 hours a week btw. Film, lifting, practice, walk thrus, travel and lastly, games...account for more than 35 hours a day.
    I work as a waiter currently and construction all summer. Many of the people i work with work well above 40 hours a week and don't get to spend nearly as much time with their families. Furthermore, they do it for much less money and are much less appreciated, especially for the spanish workers who are often criticized for "stealing jobs" or are accused of being illegals. I'm not shedding any tears for nfl players who get to play a game for a living
    No one is shedding tears. I think Kevon is just pointing out that money doesn't buy happiness, often times it makes life more difficult. Managing million of dollars is a full time job by itself.
    I have seen studies that show there is very little correlation between wealth and happiness. Some of the poorest people on earth are the happiest and some super rich become extremely depressed.
    The correlation between those that share what the have and happiness is much greater.

[/quote]

Let me be the first to offer to ease some of those rich people's burden by taking some of their cash off their hands!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

They have it bad. Maybe the soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan could come visit them on a goodwill tour !

sarcasm off!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    My guess........

Marrdro and Singer will be beeeeeeyatching again about how "Unready" the team is during the first 3 or 4 games.

:
    I think this team has a strong nucleus of players that have been in the Chillers scheme for three years now and when they return to camp healthy for OTA's we will be much further along scheme wise on both O' and D'. I'm not saying we'll be in mid-season form from the get go, but we will start out much more like we all expect.

This is the year several players Rice, Allison. JJ, Tarvaris, Cook, and Sullivan on offense have to show why we keep them. The consistency in our core players and coaches systems, will start to pay now the players know their assignments on any given play. Things are going to open up a little quicker playbook wise with better execution.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My guess........

Marrdro and Singer will be beeeeeeyatching again about how "Unready" the team is during the first 3 or 4 games.

:
    I think this team has a strong nucleus of players that have been in the Chillers scheme for three years now and when they return to camp healthy for OTA's we will be much further along scheme wise on both O' and D'. I'm not saying we'll be in mid-season form from the get go, but we will start out much more like we all expect.

This is the year several players Rice, Allison. JJ, Tarvaris, Cook, and Sullivan on offense have to show why we keep them. The consistency in our core players and coaches systems, will start to pay now the players know their assignments on any given play. Things are going to open up a little quicker playbook wise with better execution.
    Excellent point my friend.
    Never thought of that.

Problem for me is still not that they are comfortable with the system but rather that they are in good game shape, and I mean more that just physically.

a.
    Have they worked at taking the proper angles?
    b.
    Have they tackled enough?
    c.
    Have they been tackled enough?
    etc etc etc

Long story short, your body just doesn't get ready to play the game.
    Hitting and being hit is all part of it.
    I just really believe that last year they didn't do enough of that and were caught a bit flat footed the first 3 games or so.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"PurpleTide" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My guess........

:

I agree and would point out how the players avoided the December burn out. They played well in December because they had something left, in the tank.
    I seem to remember Chester Taylor and a few others wearing down before Peterson got here.
    I believe we will start faster and still finish strong this year.
    I don't think training camp will be more physical though.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I agree that the players will be in great shape, but the way the pre-season format is you have to evaluate every position, and second you have to get your starters in "Game Shape" with-out injury. 1, or 2 qtr. in a pre-season game, scimmages and sprints, get you in shape, but until you play hard for 4 quarters for a couple weeks is when your conditioning takes that next step.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Ranger" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I work a minimum of 84 hour work weeks for less than these guys make per game, so if it's that hard on them, they can either quit or go buy some tampons or a straw to suck it up with.

+1

I see it both ways.. I rarely see my family now and im very family oriented so I kinda know how that feels

It would suck to not see your kids grow up and see them everyday

They are putting thier kids in good position with the money.. But it would also be nice to learn from your dad and have them be there for ya instead of talking on a phone

Now is that worth giving up millions and millions for? I don't think I would.. I wouldn't go flip burrgers for minimum wage working 40+ hours a week to be around my family more often

It's a double edged sword and this is pretty much the only thing I feel bad about the atheletes for

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

But you also have to keep in mind that many of these players can retire at age 40 & spend the rest of their lives with their families while the rest of us schmoes are still working for an additional 25 years.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

I can hardly wait for the first loss or injury when marrdro tries to blame it on the fluffy camp workouts.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast