Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My friend that has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.

Very good analysis and I love the format especially the Draft/FA ratio you give.

Of course I have a couple of comments........

a.
    QB.
    I believe they will draft a QB sooner than most of us that are happy with TJ believe.
    As I've stated repeatedly, the QB position is one that needs constant care and feeding with respect to the make up of the QB's on the roster.
    Because the previous regime was content to sit with Pepp as thier long term solution we have had to live through last years "Grooming of a QB" on the field, under center.

Even if the staff is happy with TJ and he does do a great job for us this year, we need to have a guy on the bench learning for a year or two instead having to throw him to the wolves like we did TJ.
    Heck if nothing else, have you seen the money QB's are getting.
    Last one to sign got 100 Mill.
    Do we think TJ won't want something in that area if he has a good year this year?

b. DE. I would believe that you would have the draft priority a bit higher on the DE positions.
    I still contend that they will draft at least 2 DE's in this draft.
    One RDE and one LDE ( ;D) unless they trade a pick or two for a vet like Taylor or Peppers.
    By the way, Peppers is the proper size/wieght to play LDE in our scheme.

By the way, I like your point on the difference between RDE and LDE based on our scheme.
    Seems there are a few out there that still don't agree with that point.
    ;D

c.
    Roster (overall).
    As I count your players I see 26 on offense and 23 on Defense.
    I assume you will count another QB and at least 1 DT, 1 DE that would get you to 52.
    Then you have to add Loeffler, Kluwe and Longwell which puts you at 55.

What are your expected cuts to the roster?
    Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone like you.

I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting a
    quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments. It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

Though I still have to disagree about the defensive end spots. I'm still going to stand by my opinion that the right side is taken care of. I think Robison and Edwards are really going to be great over there next year. They did pretty well last year, and we should really see a jump in production next year because of how young they are (Robison was a rookie, and Edwards was in his second year). When you throw in James who can be productive when healthy, and I think that side is set.

I think that signing Wyms reduced the need of getting two DEs. We now have 4 on the right side (Robison, Edwards, James, Grigsby) and currently 2 on the left side (Wyms, Mitchell) and I don't think they will carry 8 ends on the final roster. I think they will draft someone in the early rounds to start at LDE, and I think that someone will actually get cut. 6 ends seems to be the number most teams try to aim for. I would think that James might be close to getting the axe if it doesn't look like he will be able to be productive after his injury.

And that brings me to our final question about who should get cut.. I would think one end will get cut (bringing the number down to 6), one or two linebackers will get cut (bringing the total down to 6-7), and a few offensive lineman offensive lineman will get cut (bringing the total down to around 8. I don't think there is much of a reason to carry 10 lineman on the active roster, most guys can backup more than one spot anyway.
    SO prior to Udeze being unfortunately diagnosed with cancer, we needed a DE.. it was one of our biggest needs in FA or the draft.. RIGHT??!!!! Udeze was embedded as the starter on the left side.... so by all appearances.. and logic.. we needed a RDE!!!..

but now all of a sudden Udeze can't play and all of a sudden we're set at right end and now LDE is more important than anything..??... that makes no sense...
    I was happy with our defensive end situation before we learned about Udeze's leukemia.. I really like the idea of Edwards and Robison rotating at the RDE spot. I think they will be more than adequate.
    I want you to remember this statement next year when opposing QB's have 15 minutes to throw the ball every down.. and we use our LB's to blitz all the time like last year.. and can't get off the field on 3rd and long...

additionally, given James' injury history, it's not a lock that he's gonna be able to stay on the field thus leaving us thinner at DE..

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My friend that has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.

Very good analysis and I love the format especially the Draft/FA ratio you give.

a.
    QB.
    I believe they will draft a QB sooner than most of us that are happy with TJ believe.
    As I've stated repeatedly, the QB position is one that needs constant care and feeding with respect to the make up of the QB's on the roster.
    Because the previous regime was content to sit with Pepp as thier long term solution we have had to live through last years "Grooming of a QB" on the field, under center.

Even if the staff is happy with TJ and he does do a great job for us this year, we need to have a guy on the bench learning for a year or two instead having to throw him to the wolves like we did TJ.
    Do we think TJ won't want something in that area if he has a good year this year?

b. DE. I would believe that you would have the draft priority a bit higher on the DE positions.
    One RDE and one LDE ( ;D) unless they trade a pick or two for a vet like Taylor or Peppers.

By the way, I like your point on the difference between RDE and LDE based on our scheme.
    ;D

c.
    Roster (overall).
    I assume you will count another QB and at least 1 DT, 1 DE that would get you to 52.

quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments
    . It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

Though I still have to disagree about the defensive end spots. I'm still going to stand by my opinion that the right side is taken care of. I think Robison and Edwards are really going to be great over there next year. They did pretty well last year, and we should really see a jump in production next year because of how young they are (Robison was a rookie, and Edwards was in his second year). When you throw in James who can be productive when healthy, and I think that side is set.

I think that signing Wyms reduced the need of getting two DEs. We now have 4 on the right side (Robison, Edwards, James, Grigsby) and currently 2 on the left side (Wyms, Mitchell) and I don't think they will carry 8 ends on the final roster. I think they will draft someone in the early rounds to start at LDE, and I think that someone will actually get cut. 6 ends seems to be the number most teams try to aim for. I would think that James might be close to getting the axe if it doesn't look like he will be able to be productive after his injury.

And that brings me to our final question about who should get cut.. I would think one end will get cut (bringing the number down to 6), one or two linebackers will get cut (bringing the total down to 6-7), and a few offensive lineman offensive lineman will get cut (bringing the total down to around 8. I don't think there is much of a reason to carry 10 lineman on the active roster, most guys can backup more than one spot anyway.
    Wanna make your head hurt with respect to TJ, rookie QB's and whats coming?

Sometime this year TJ's agent is gonna come calling and want to discuss contracts.
    If the staff doesn't have leverage (stud in waiting) he will ask for the bank and get it, especially if TJ shows any semblence of improvement.

What if he shows no improvement?
    Do they still pay him?

If they do have a guy sitting there with some promise that has some time with the team we have an option when his contract is due.
    He better have a Pro-Bowl type season and lead us deep into the playoffs if he wants to get a raise.

Lets not compare TJack to QBs like Big Ben who has won a Super Bowl and been to the Pro-Bowl just yet.
    He needs to prove he is better than the Jeff Garcias and Kurt Warners of the world before he can contemplate asking for a raise.

Good point about having that leverage with a potential replacement on the roster though.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    QB.

;D

c.
    Roster (overall).

quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments. It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

SO prior to Udeze being unfortunately diagnosed with cancer, we needed a DE.. it was one of our biggest needs in FA or the draft.. RIGHT??!!!! Udeze was embedded as the starter on the left side.... so by all appearances.. and logic.. we needed a RDE!!!..

but now all of a sudden Udeze can't play and all of a sudden we're set at right end and now LDE is more important than anything..??... that makes no sense...
    I was happy with our defensive end situation before we learned about Udeze's leukemia.. I really like the idea of Edwards and Robison rotating at the RDE spot. I think they will be more than adequate.
    I want you to remember this statement next year when opposing QB's have 15 minutes to throw the ball every down.. and we use our LB's to blitz all the time like last year.. and can't get off the field on 3rd and long...

additionally, given James' injury history, it's not a lock that he's gonna be able to stay on the field thus leaving us thinner at DE..
    Bleed, you don't think Robison and Edwards will get better this year?

Both Edwards and Rob combined got us over 10 sacks (10.5 I think).
    Isn't that what we are asking for is a bit more consistency in that area?
    Why can't that come from a guy going into his second year and a guy going into his third year?

I gotta say I am happy with our RDE's that are in there in our base 4-3 rotation but will also say I agree with you that a Edge Rusher (ala Lance Johnstone of old) would also help but if memory serves Leber did pretty good in that role last year as well.

As to the issue with LDE.
    I am on record as saying I was very happy with Keneche even when he was forced to play RDE 2 years ago and started a whole thread on our DL and thier roles because of it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=43339.msg742713#msg742713 date=1205934160]

a.
    QB.

;D

c.
    Roster (overall).

Bleed, you don't think Robison and Edwards will get better this year?

Both Edwards and Rob combined got us over 10 sacks (10.5 I think).
    Isn't that what we are asking for is a bit more consistency in that area?
    Why can't that come from a guy going into his second year and a guy going into his third year?

I gotta say I am happy with our RDE's that are in there in our base 4-3 rotation but will also say I agree with you that a Edge Rusher (ala Lance Johnstone of old) would also help but if memory serves Leber did pretty good in that role last year as well.

As to the issue with LDE.
    I am on record as saying I was very happy with Keneche even when he was forced to play RDE 2 years ago and started a whole thread on our DL and thier roles because of it.
    [/quote]

;D

I don't know why I even bother posting anymore, you always seem to beat me to it. Great minds think alike.
    ;D

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    QB.

;D

c.
    Roster (overall).

quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments
    . It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

Wanna make your head hurt with respect to TJ, rookie QB's and whats coming?

Sometime this year TJ's agent is gonna come calling and want to discuss contracts.
    If the staff doesn't have leverage (stud in waiting) he will ask for the bank and get it, especially if TJ shows any semblence of improvement.

What if he shows no improvement?
    Do they still pay him?

If they do have a guy sitting there with some promise that has some time with the team we have an option when his contract is due.
    He better have a Pro-Bowl type season and lead us deep into the playoffs if he wants to get a raise.

Lets not compare TJack to QBs like Big Ben who has won a Super Bowl and been to the Pro-Bowl just yet.
    He needs to prove he is better than the Jeff Garcias and Kurt Warners of the world before he can contemplate asking for a raise.

Good point about having that leverage with a potential replacement on the roster though.
    I think you missed my point.
    In no way was I comparing him to anyone, only bringing up the discussion point that his contract is coming due and what the implications are of either resigning him early (based on his body of work now) or resigning him at the end of the year based on his body of work in the 2008 season as well.

Again, hypothetically, if he kid goes out and puts up a winning record again this year and the offense continues to improve with him on the field, he will command a much bigger contract than if they address it before the end of season.

My point is that he has a contract coming due so he is gonna get a raise whether we like it or not.
    Again, the decision before the staff is do they get him for a hell of a lot less now or do they gamble and see what he will be worth at the end of the 2008 season.

(Not sure how you got that I was comparing him to other QB's).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

Tarvaris has only been with us 2 years...he's got to have at least a 4 year rookie deal, no?
    Maybe 5 or 6?
    That tells me we have a full year to see what he does before the contract becomes an issue (provided he plays decently for most or all of a season...otherwise all we'll know is he's injured too much to be relied upon.
    Anybody else suspect some of those injuries last year were good excuses invented by the org to put the rook on the bench?)

However, I will agree that having a guy at that point with two years of learning the system would be a very very nice change to the way we ended up last time we needed a new QB...AND give us a better bargaining position.
    Hell, according to PFT today, Garrard is already asking for more than Romo got.
    The prices keep going up, and it'll only get worse if we end up with an uncapped year down the road.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Tarvaris has only been with us 2 years...he's got to have at least a 4 year rookie deal, no?
    Maybe 5 or 6?
    That tells me we have a full year to see what he does before the contract becomes an issue (provided he plays decently for most or all of a season...otherwise all we'll know is he's injured too much to be relied upon.
    Anybody else suspect some of those injuries last year were good excuses invented by the org to put the rook on the bench?)

However, I will agree that having a guy at that point with two years of learning the system would be a very very nice change to the way we ended up last time we needed a new QB...AND give us a better bargaining position.
    Hell, according to PFT today, Garrard is already asking for more than Romo got.
    The prices keep going up, and it'll only get worse if we end up with an uncapped year down the road.
    He is entering his 3rd year of a 4th year contract.
    If his agent is worth his salt he will be asking for an extension sometime this year.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"aaeyers" wrote:
    Now that the combine buzz is over, and the free agent market has quieted down, we can finally start to see how each team is positioning itself, and where the needs are...
    Nice effort, good to see.
    Optimism is high in the third year of the scheme.
    There may even be some Childress man-love coming in from a few people unlikely people after all is said and done.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234