Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    I disagree with the DE point you made... although, very nice analysis and thorough thought process...

    However, it appears you've been listening to Marrdro a bit too much, as i've argued with him several times on the very subject...

    While LDE is a problem, i don't think it's as big of a need as just a basic pass rush guy who can get the the QB...

    Yes, the loss of Udeze was a big blow, but you are putting entirely way to much emphasis on the two DE positions as if they are the difference between Safety and Running back.
    It is but it's not that different... The entire line is pretty much interchangeable, as evidenced by the fact that everyone rotated all over the line.. some more than others...

    A pass rush DE was our biggest priority in the offseason with our without the Loss of Udeze.. as evidenced by our crappy pass defense... which by the way has been a problem for years....

    so you see my friend, it doesn't matter how big the LDE, RDE or DE is.. as long as he can hold the line, shed blocks, keep contain and get to the QB we should get them....

    ppl make all this fuss about weight and height of an LDE when we also have Lb's that come in behind them as well as the williams wall all going to the RB...

    Let me remind you that with/without Udeze, our run defense is going to be solid... we need a Rush end... plain and simple...

    and as far as yur assessment of the LDE being approx. 270lbs, Robison, Edwards, and James are all in the vicinity of 268lbs.. so its not that much of a difference...

    Additionally, Back up QB isn't our biggest need at the moment... it's a need, nonetheless, but i think in the coming weeks, we'll look to address that whether we sign a Trent Dilfer, Frerotte, Quinn Gray or trade for one... we'll pick up one of those guys and also draft a Qb my guess between rounds 3-5.

    but overall very good analysis.... very good!...
    You crack me up my friend.
    Thats all I got to say.

    ;D
    You know i'm going to argue that until the end!!! ;D

    with that being said...

    I still don't or wonder.. why everyone is saying we're gonna draft all this defense...

    let me ask a question..

    As crappy as our offense was last year... only adding Berrian and a significant drop off in FB.. and with all the starters on defense returning except for 2...
    DO yall honestly think by Swapping BB for Twill that our offense doesn't need to be addressed??... am i missing something here???..... I understand rice is going to develop and all.. but do you really think we're not gonna draft a receiver in the first three rounds??... I sure hope so...

    BB for Twill swap is not going to get us over the hump in my opinion... We had the worst receiving core in the league last year.. and you add BB to that and all of a sudden we're set at receiver!????

    BB is good, but he's not that good, nor is he gonna have the "Moss" effect on our offense.... I could be wrong, but i still say we should draft one...

    and as far as roster moves go... Marr your so bent on the fact of roster cuts and who's gonna get cut and all... the point is, that some tough decisions are going to have to be made, and some guys are gonna get cut... like we cut Fred Robbins a few years back and now he's starting for the Giants...

    We have lots of dept everywhere with the exception of Safety... so i imagine, we don't need to keep 5 safeties on the roster.. that's just too many... I also assume, the roster dynamics will be a little different than last year depending on how much talent we have at a particular position and who we need for special teams...

    So basically, the odd man out will be the guy that doesn't perform... some guys that made the team last year won't be around this year...
    I think the going in stance for most of us on here is that our upgrade/improvement in offense will be mostly because the young kids will have another offseason of watching film and workouts to iron out the problems they had last year.

    The whole problem with that is with the OL now.
    I really believe that it starts up front.
    If your line is working up to par then everything else flows.
    For the OL to work they need to have consistency/stability at all positions.
    Big MaC's suspension (if one comes down) is gonna hurt offensive production this year my friend and its gonna hurt bad unless one of the guys (Chase/drafted rookie) steps up and performs above expectations.

    As to the Defense.
    I really believe that most of us are convinced that is were most of our immediate problems lie.
    We really need to fix our inability to get the opposing O off the field a heck of alot sooner than they did last year. If we can solve that then our O gets more tries at scoring thier O has less opportunities to score and our D stays fresher longer.

    My biggest nightmare is to watch K-will wear down late in the year like we saw last year.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #22
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    I disagree with the DE point you made... although, very nice analysis and thorough thought process...

    However, it appears you've been listening to Marrdro a bit too much, as i've argued with him several times on the very subject...

    While LDE is a problem, i don't think it's as big of a need as just a basic pass rush guy who can get the the QB...

    Yes, the loss of Udeze was a big blow, but you are putting entirely way to much emphasis on the two DE positions as if they are the difference between Safety and Running back.
    It is but it's not that different... The entire line is pretty much interchangeable, as evidenced by the fact that everyone rotated all over the line.. some more than others...

    A pass rush DE was our biggest priority in the offseason with our without the Loss of Udeze.. as evidenced by our crappy pass defense... which by the way has been a problem for years....

    so you see my friend, it doesn't matter how big the LDE, RDE or DE is.. as long as he can hold the line, shed blocks, keep contain and get to the QB we should get them....

    ppl make all this fuss about weight and height of an LDE when we also have Lb's that come in behind them as well as the williams wall all going to the RB...

    Let me remind you that with/without Udeze, our run defense is going to be solid... we need a Rush end... plain and simple...

    and as far as yur assessment of the LDE being approx. 270lbs, Robison, Edwards, and James are all in the vicinity of 268lbs.. so its not that much of a difference...

    Additionally, Back up QB isn't our biggest need at the moment... it's a need, nonetheless, but i think in the coming weeks, we'll look to address that whether we sign a Trent Dilfer, Frerotte, Quinn Gray or trade for one... we'll pick up one of those guys and also draft a Qb my guess between rounds 3-5.

    but overall very good analysis.... very good!...
    You crack me up my friend.
    Thats all I got to say.
    ;D
    You know i'm going to argue that until the end!!! ;D

    with that being said...

    I still don't or wonder.. why everyone is saying we're gonna draft all this defense...

    let me ask a question..

    As crappy as our offense was last year... only adding Berrian and a significant drop off in FB.. and with all the starters on defense returning except for 2...
    DO yall honestly think by Swapping BB for Twill that our offense doesn't need to be addressed??... am i missing something here???..... I understand rice is going to develop and all.. but do you really think we're not gonna draft a receiver in the first three rounds??... I sure hope so...

    BB for Twill swap is not going to get us over the hump in my opinion... We had the worst receiving core in the league last year.. and you add BB to that and all of a sudden we're set at receiver!????

    BB is good, but he's not that good, nor is he gonna have the "Moss" effect on our offense.... I could be wrong, but i still say we should draft one...

    and as far as roster moves go... Marr your so bent on the fact of roster cuts and who's gonna get cut and all... the point is, that some tough decisions are going to have to be made, and some guys are gonna get cut... like we cut Fred Robbins a few years back and now he's starting for the Giants...

    We have lots of dept everywhere with the exception of Safety... so i imagine, we don't need to keep 5 safeties on the roster.. that's just too many... I also assume, the roster dynamics will be a little different than last year depending on how much talent we have at a particular position and who we need for special teams...

    So basically, the odd man out will be the guy that doesn't perform... some guys that made the team last year won't be around this year...
    I think the going in stance for most of us on here is that our upgrade/improvement in offense will be mostly because the young kids will have another offseason of watching film and workouts to iron out the problems they had last year.

    The whole problem with that is with the OL now.
    I really believe that it starts up front.
    If your line is working up to par then everything else flows.
    For the OL to work they need to have consistency/stability at all positions.
    Big MaC's suspension (if one comes down) is gonna hurt offensive production this year my friend and its gonna hurt bad unless one of the guys (Chase/drafted rookie) steps up and performs above expectations.

    As to the Defense.
    I really believe that most of us are convinced that is were most of our immediate problems lie.
    We really need to fix our inability to get the opposing O off the field a heck of alot sooner than they did last year. If we can solve that then our O gets more tries at scoring thier O has less opportunities to score and our D stays fresher longer.

    My biggest nightmare is to watch K-will wear down late in the year like we saw last year.
    :'(
    that problem will be solved with a rush end... i don't care where he plays or how big he is.. he needs to get to the QB and often....

  3. #23
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    I disagree with the DE point you made... although, very nice analysis and thorough thought process...

    However, it appears you've been listening to Marrdro a bit too much, as i've argued with him several times on the very subject...

    While LDE is a problem, i don't think it's as big of a need as just a basic pass rush guy who can get the the QB...

    Yes, the loss of Udeze was a big blow, but you are putting entirely way to much emphasis on the two DE positions as if they are the difference between Safety and Running back.
    It is but it's not that different... The entire line is pretty much interchangeable, as evidenced by the fact that everyone rotated all over the line.. some more than others...

    A pass rush DE was our biggest priority in the offseason with our without the Loss of Udeze.. as evidenced by our crappy pass defense... which by the way has been a problem for years....

    so you see my friend, it doesn't matter how big the LDE, RDE or DE is.. as long as he can hold the line, shed blocks, keep contain and get to the QB we should get them....

    ppl make all this fuss about weight and height of an LDE when we also have Lb's that come in behind them as well as the williams wall all going to the RB...

    Let me remind you that with/without Udeze, our run defense is going to be solid... we need a Rush end... plain and simple...

    and as far as yur assessment of the LDE being approx. 270lbs, Robison, Edwards, and James are all in the vicinity of 268lbs.. so its not that much of a difference...

    Additionally, Back up QB isn't our biggest need at the moment... it's a need, nonetheless, but i think in the coming weeks, we'll look to address that whether we sign a Trent Dilfer, Frerotte, Quinn Gray or trade for one... we'll pick up one of those guys and also draft a Qb my guess between rounds 3-5.

    but overall very good analysis.... very good!...
    You crack me up my friend.
    Thats all I got to say.

    ;D
    You know i'm going to argue that until the end!!! ;D

    with that being said...

    I still don't or wonder.. why everyone is saying we're gonna draft all this defense...

    let me ask a question..

    As crappy as our offense was last year... only adding Berrian and a significant drop off in FB.. and with all the starters on defense returning except for 2...
    DO yall honestly think by Swapping BB for Twill that our offense doesn't need to be addressed??... am i missing something here???..... I understand rice is going to develop and all.. but do you really think we're not gonna draft a receiver in the first three rounds??... I sure hope so...

    BB for Twill swap is not going to get us over the hump in my opinion... We had the worst receiving core in the league last year.. and you add BB to that and all of a sudden we're set at receiver!????

    BB is good, but he's not that good, nor is he gonna have the "Moss" effect on our offense.... I could be wrong, but i still say we should draft one...

    and as far as roster moves go... Marr your so bent on the fact of roster cuts and who's gonna get cut and all... the point is, that some tough decisions are going to have to be made, and some guys are gonna get cut... like we cut Fred Robbins a few years back and now he's starting for the Giants...

    We have lots of dept everywhere with the exception of Safety... so i imagine, we don't need to keep 5 safeties on the roster.. that's just too many... I also assume, the roster dynamics will be a little different than last year depending on how much talent we have at a particular position and who we need for special teams...

    So basically, the odd man out will be the guy that doesn't perform... some guys that made the team last year won't be around this year...
    I think the going in stance for most of us on here is that our upgrade/improvement in offense will be mostly because the young kids will have another offseason of watching film and workouts to iron out the problems they had last year.

    The whole problem with that is with the OL now.
    I really believe that it starts up front.
    If your line is working up to par then everything else flows.
    For the OL to work they need to have consistency/stability at all positions.
    Big MaC's suspension (if one comes down) is gonna hurt offensive production this year my friend and its gonna hurt bad unless one of the guys (Chase/drafted rookie) steps up and performs above expectations.

    As to the Defense.
    I really believe that most of us are convinced that is were most of our immediate problems lie.
    We really need to fix our inability to get the opposing O off the field a heck of alot sooner than they did last year. If we can solve that then our O gets more tries at scoring thier O has less opportunities to score and our D stays fresher longer.

    My biggest nightmare is to watch K-will wear down late in the year like we saw last year.

    :'(
    that problem will be solved with a rush end... i don't care where he plays or how big he is.. he needs to get to the QB and often....
    I agree 100%.

    I still hold out that maybe we already have that guy on the roster in Robison or even Edwards for that matter.
    The reps each of them got last year should help in thier production this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #24
    aaeyers's Avatar
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My friend that has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.


    Very good analysis and I love the format especially the Draft/FA ratio you give.

    Of course I have a couple of comments........

    a.
    QB.
    I believe they will draft a QB sooner than most of us that are happy with TJ believe.
    As I've stated repeatedly, the QB position is one that needs constant care and feeding with respect to the make up of the QB's on the roster.
    Because the previous regime was content to sit with Pepp as thier long term solution we have had to live through last years "Grooming of a QB" on the field, under center.

    Even if the staff is happy with TJ and he does do a great job for us this year, we need to have a guy on the bench learning for a year or two instead having to throw him to the wolves like we did TJ.
    Heck if nothing else, have you seen the money QB's are getting.
    Last one to sign got 100 Mill.
    Do we think TJ won't want something in that area if he has a good year this year?

    b. DE. I would believe that you would have the draft priority a bit higher on the DE positions.
    I still contend that they will draft at least 2 DE's in this draft.
    One RDE and one LDE ( ;D) unless they trade a pick or two for a vet like Taylor or Peppers.
    By the way, Peppers is the proper size/wieght to play LDE in our scheme.

    By the way, I like your point on the difference between RDE and LDE based on our scheme.
    Seems there are a few out there that still don't agree with that point.
    ;D

    c.
    Roster (overall).
    As I count your players I see 26 on offense and 23 on Defense.
    I assume you will count another QB and at least 1 DT, 1 DE that would get you to 52.
    Then you have to add Loeffler, Kluwe and Longwell which puts you at 55.

    What are your expected cuts to the roster?
    Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone like you.

    I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting a
    quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments. It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

    Though I still have to disagree about the defensive end spots. I'm still going to stand by my opinion that the right side is taken care of. I think Robison and Edwards are really going to be great over there next year. They did pretty well last year, and we should really see a jump in production next year because of how young they are (Robison was a rookie, and Edwards was in his second year). When you throw in James who can be productive when healthy, and I think that side is set.

    I think that signing Wyms reduced the need of getting two DEs. We now have 4 on the right side (Robison, Edwards, James, Grigsby) and currently 2 on the left side (Wyms, Mitchell) and I don't think they will carry 8 ends on the final roster. I think they will draft someone in the early rounds to start at LDE, and I think that someone will actually get cut. 6 ends seems to be the number most teams try to aim for. I would think that James might be close to getting the axe if it doesn't look like he will be able to be productive after his injury.

    And that brings me to our final question about who should get cut.. I would think one end will get cut (bringing the number down to 6), one or two linebackers will get cut (bringing the total down to 6-7), and a few offensive lineman offensive lineman will get cut (bringing the total down to around 8. I don't think there is much of a reason to carry 10 lineman on the active roster, most guys can backup more than one spot anyway.

  5. #25
    tgorsegner's Avatar
    tgorsegner is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    786

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    Despite all the reasons being given, I still do not see a QB being drafted before the 4th round unless somebody very talented takes one heck of a slide, somewhat like Aaron Rodgers, due to pressing needs in other positions, and the level of talent available. Honestly, I think that it will shake out DL, OL, S, DL, QB, LB, DB, WR, DL, TE/FB in that order, unless a pick is traded, which is likely.


    VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

  6. #26
    aaeyers's Avatar
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "tgorsegner" wrote:
    Despite all the reasons being given, I still do not see a QB being drafted before the 4th round unless somebody very talented takes one heck of a slide, somewhat like Aaron Rodgers, due to pressing needs in other positions, and the level of talent available. Honestly, I think that it will shake out DL, OL, S, DL, QB, LB, DB, WR, DL, TE/FB in that order, unless a pick is traded, which is likely.
    I think the bottom of the third round or the fourth round would be ideal spot to take a quarterback. In the first 3 rounds we simply need to take a DE a S, and a DT. I don't know if I agree with you on the OL pick, but thats just my opinion.

    The problem is, I don't see any QBs that are worth taking in the third round. Ryan, Brohm, Henne and Flacco will all be gone by the middle of the second round, and after them, I'm skeptical. Andre Woodson has a terribly slow release, something that really be a problem, and I am not sold at all on Josh Johnson or Booty. I think there is a good chance that the Vikings will trade up to get a guy that they like (similar to what the did for Jackson) maybe right into the bottom of the third round or the early fourth round to get a guy like Ainge or O'Connell who has the size and all the tools, but just needs a little work on their technique.

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    For a 3rd rounder, I think Woodson or Booty would be a good pickup.
    Slow release can be fixed, and its not like he'll be thrust into action right away anyway.
    He'd be 3rd string.
    Booty would also be a great pick in the 3rd round, but i'm not sure he'll slide that far.

  8. #28
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My friend that has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.


    Very good analysis and I love the format especially the Draft/FA ratio you give.

    Of course I have a couple of comments........

    a.
    QB.
    I believe they will draft a QB sooner than most of us that are happy with TJ believe.
    As I've stated repeatedly, the QB position is one that needs constant care and feeding with respect to the make up of the QB's on the roster.
    Because the previous regime was content to sit with Pepp as thier long term solution we have had to live through last years "Grooming of a QB" on the field, under center.

    Even if the staff is happy with TJ and he does do a great job for us this year, we need to have a guy on the bench learning for a year or two instead having to throw him to the wolves like we did TJ.
    Heck if nothing else, have you seen the money QB's are getting.
    Last one to sign got 100 Mill.
    Do we think TJ won't want something in that area if he has a good year this year?

    b. DE. I would believe that you would have the draft priority a bit higher on the DE positions.
    I still contend that they will draft at least 2 DE's in this draft.
    One RDE and one LDE ( ;D) unless they trade a pick or two for a vet like Taylor or Peppers.
    By the way, Peppers is the proper size/wieght to play LDE in our scheme.

    By the way, I like your point on the difference between RDE and LDE based on our scheme.
    Seems there are a few out there that still don't agree with that point.
    ;D

    c.
    Roster (overall).
    As I count your players I see 26 on offense and 23 on Defense.
    I assume you will count another QB and at least 1 DT, 1 DE that would get you to 52.
    Then you have to add Loeffler, Kluwe and Longwell which puts you at 55.

    What are your expected cuts to the roster?
    Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone like you.

    I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting a
    quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments. It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

    Though I still have to disagree about the defensive end spots. I'm still going to stand by my opinion that the right side is taken care of. I think Robison and Edwards are really going to be great over there next year. They did pretty well last year, and we should really see a jump in production next year because of how young they are (Robison was a rookie, and Edwards was in his second year). When you throw in James who can be productive when healthy, and I think that side is set.

    I think that signing Wyms reduced the need of getting two DEs. We now have 4 on the right side (Robison, Edwards, James, Grigsby) and currently 2 on the left side (Wyms, Mitchell) and I don't think they will carry 8 ends on the final roster. I think they will draft someone in the early rounds to start at LDE, and I think that someone will actually get cut. 6 ends seems to be the number most teams try to aim for. I would think that James might be close to getting the axe if it doesn't look like he will be able to be productive after his injury.

    And that brings me to our final question about who should get cut.. I would think one end will get cut (bringing the number down to 6), one or two linebackers will get cut (bringing the total down to 6-7), and a few offensive lineman offensive lineman will get cut (bringing the total down to around 8. I don't think there is much of a reason to carry 10 lineman on the active roster, most guys can backup more than one spot anyway.
    SO prior to Udeze being unfortunately diagnosed with cancer, we needed a DE.. it was one of our biggest needs in FA or the draft.. RIGHT??!!!! Udeze was embedded as the starter on the left side.... so by all appearances.. and logic.. we needed a RDE!!!..

    but now all of a sudden Udeze can't play and all of a sudden we're set at right end and now LDE is more important than anything..??... that makes no sense...

  9. #29
    aaeyers's Avatar
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    436

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My friend that has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.


    Very good analysis and I love the format especially the Draft/FA ratio you give.

    Of course I have a couple of comments........

    a.
    QB.
    I believe they will draft a QB sooner than most of us that are happy with TJ believe.
    As I've stated repeatedly, the QB position is one that needs constant care and feeding with respect to the make up of the QB's on the roster.
    Because the previous regime was content to sit with Pepp as thier long term solution we have had to live through last years "Grooming of a QB" on the field, under center.

    Even if the staff is happy with TJ and he does do a great job for us this year, we need to have a guy on the bench learning for a year or two instead having to throw him to the wolves like we did TJ.
    Heck if nothing else, have you seen the money QB's are getting.
    Last one to sign got 100 Mill.
    Do we think TJ won't want something in that area if he has a good year this year?

    b. DE. I would believe that you would have the draft priority a bit higher on the DE positions.
    I still contend that they will draft at least 2 DE's in this draft.
    One RDE and one LDE ( ;D) unless they trade a pick or two for a vet like Taylor or Peppers.
    By the way, Peppers is the proper size/wieght to play LDE in our scheme.

    By the way, I like your point on the difference between RDE and LDE based on our scheme.
    Seems there are a few out there that still don't agree with that point.
    ;D

    c.
    Roster (overall).
    As I count your players I see 26 on offense and 23 on Defense.
    I assume you will count another QB and at least 1 DT, 1 DE that would get you to 52.
    Then you have to add Loeffler, Kluwe and Longwell which puts you at 55.

    What are your expected cuts to the roster?
    Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone like you.

    I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting a
    quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments. It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

    Though I still have to disagree about the defensive end spots. I'm still going to stand by my opinion that the right side is taken care of. I think Robison and Edwards are really going to be great over there next year. They did pretty well last year, and we should really see a jump in production next year because of how young they are (Robison was a rookie, and Edwards was in his second year). When you throw in James who can be productive when healthy, and I think that side is set.

    I think that signing Wyms reduced the need of getting two DEs. We now have 4 on the right side (Robison, Edwards, James, Grigsby) and currently 2 on the left side (Wyms, Mitchell) and I don't think they will carry 8 ends on the final roster. I think they will draft someone in the early rounds to start at LDE, and I think that someone will actually get cut. 6 ends seems to be the number most teams try to aim for. I would think that James might be close to getting the axe if it doesn't look like he will be able to be productive after his injury.

    And that brings me to our final question about who should get cut.. I would think one end will get cut (bringing the number down to 6), one or two linebackers will get cut (bringing the total down to 6-7), and a few offensive lineman offensive lineman will get cut (bringing the total down to around 8. I don't think there is much of a reason to carry 10 lineman on the active roster, most guys can backup more than one spot anyway.
    SO prior to Udeze being unfortunately diagnosed with cancer, we needed a DE.. it was one of our biggest needs in FA or the draft.. RIGHT??!!!! Udeze was embedded as the starter on the left side.... so by all appearances.. and logic.. we needed a RDE!!!..

    but now all of a sudden Udeze can't play and all of a sudden we're set at right end and now LDE is more important than anything..??... that makes no sense...
    I was happy with our defensive end situation before we learned about Udeze's leukemia.. I really like the idea of Edwards and Robison rotating at the RDE spot. I think they will be more than adequate.

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    My friend that has got to be one of the best posts I have ever seen on this site.


    Very good analysis and I love the format especially the Draft/FA ratio you give.

    Of course I have a couple of comments........

    a.
    QB.
    I believe they will draft a QB sooner than most of us that are happy with TJ believe.
    As I've stated repeatedly, the QB position is one that needs constant care and feeding with respect to the make up of the QB's on the roster.
    Because the previous regime was content to sit with Pepp as thier long term solution we have had to live through last years "Grooming of a QB" on the field, under center.

    Even if the staff is happy with TJ and he does do a great job for us this year, we need to have a guy on the bench learning for a year or two instead having to throw him to the wolves like we did TJ.
    Heck if nothing else, have you seen the money QB's are getting.
    Last one to sign got 100 Mill.
    Do we think TJ won't want something in that area if he has a good year this year?

    b. DE. I would believe that you would have the draft priority a bit higher on the DE positions.
    I still contend that they will draft at least 2 DE's in this draft.
    One RDE and one LDE ( ;D) unless they trade a pick or two for a vet like Taylor or Peppers.
    By the way, Peppers is the proper size/wieght to play LDE in our scheme.

    By the way, I like your point on the difference between RDE and LDE based on our scheme.
    Seems there are a few out there that still don't agree with that point.
    ;D

    c.
    Roster (overall).
    As I count your players I see 26 on offense and 23 on Defense.
    I assume you will count another QB and at least 1 DT, 1 DE that would get you to 52.
    Then you have to add Loeffler, Kluwe and Longwell which puts you at 55.

    What are your expected cuts to the roster?
    Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from someone like you.

    I'm starting to come around to the idea of drafting a
    quarterback in the second or third round after listening to everyone's arguments
    . It just always seemed to me that taking a quarterback that early was a sign that the coaching staff and FO was done with the current guy and ready to move on. But I can see how it makes sense. I think I'm going to have to go change my mocks, once again all thanks to Mar.. I'm getting tired of all your good ideas and logic. ;D

    Though I still have to disagree about the defensive end spots. I'm still going to stand by my opinion that the right side is taken care of. I think Robison and Edwards are really going to be great over there next year. They did pretty well last year, and we should really see a jump in production next year because of how young they are (Robison was a rookie, and Edwards was in his second year). When you throw in James who can be productive when healthy, and I think that side is set.

    I think that signing Wyms reduced the need of getting two DEs. We now have 4 on the right side (Robison, Edwards, James, Grigsby) and currently 2 on the left side (Wyms, Mitchell) and I don't think they will carry 8 ends on the final roster. I think they will draft someone in the early rounds to start at LDE, and I think that someone will actually get cut. 6 ends seems to be the number most teams try to aim for. I would think that James might be close to getting the axe if it doesn't look like he will be able to be productive after his injury.

    And that brings me to our final question about who should get cut.. I would think one end will get cut (bringing the number down to 6), one or two linebackers will get cut (bringing the total down to 6-7), and a few offensive lineman offensive lineman will get cut (bringing the total down to around 8. I don't think there is much of a reason to carry 10 lineman on the active roster, most guys can backup more than one spot anyway.
    Wanna make your head hurt with respect to TJ, rookie QB's and whats coming?


    Sometime this year TJ's agent is gonna come calling and want to discuss contracts.
    If the staff doesn't have leverage (stud in waiting) he will ask for the bank and get it, especially if TJ shows any semblence of improvement.


    What if he shows no improvement?
    Do they still pay him?

    If they do have a guy sitting there with some promise that has some time with the team we have an option when his contract is due.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Marrdro's Roster Analysis (New Roster Analysis Added)
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 07:27 PM
  2. aaeyers' Offseason (Pre-Combine Edition)
    By aaeyers in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM
  3. aaeyers' Offseason
    By aaeyers in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 09:12 PM
  4. BCS Analysis
    By Prophet in forum College Ball
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
  5. Analysis: Packer's D.
    By ItalianStallion in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 02:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •