Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

Now that the combine buzz is over, and the free agent market has quieted down, we can finally start to see how each team is positioning itself, and where the needs are. I've decided to look at the Vikings needs at each position, and how they apply to the draft. I'm not going to think about individual draft picks or players, because that puts a bias on that position. I do not have any preferences on specific players in the draft; I am not going to say the Vikings need to draft a wide receiver in the first round just because I really like Malcolm Kelly, etc. My goal is to be as objective as possible, and to evaluate each position in the most logical way possible while also thinking of the whole picture.

Opening Offensive Notes

The Minnesota Vikings have a very young offense, one that is lead by rookie running back Adrian Peterson. The Vikings led the league on the ground, however they struggled in the passing game. Most of the problems with the passing game can be placed on a lack of a deep threat receiver, injuries to other receivers such as Rice, and the inevitable growing pains that come with a young quarterback such as Tarvaris Jackson. The Vikings have already addressed the receiver position by signing Bernard Berrian, which should have a huge impact. On the offensive line, the Vikings should be returning all 5 starters, and also have surprising depth on the line.

Current Depth Chart

QB: Tarvaris Jackson, Brooks Bollinger
    RB: Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor, Maurice Hicks
    FB: Thomas Tapeh, Naufahu Tahi
    TE: Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser, Jeff Dugan, Garrett Mills
    WR: Bernard Berrian, Sidney Rice, Bobby Wade, Robert Ferguson, Aundrae Allison
    LT: Bryant McKinnie, Chase Johnson
    LG: Steve Hutchinson, Brian Daniels
    C: Matt Birk, Dan Mozes
    RG: Anthony Herrera, Artis Hicks
    RT: Ryan Cook, Marcus Johnson

QB

Although the quarterback position is one of the more discussed position on this site, there really is only one logical outcome. Tarvaris Jackson will be the starting quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings in 2008. You can argue all you want about it, but when it comes down to the hard facts, Jackson has done fairly well given the circumstances. He is improving, Childress likes him, he is starting to build chemistry with the rest of his offense, and this will be only his second year as a starter. And even if he was going to be replaced, who would he be replaced by? There is
    simply a shortage of quality quarterbacks in this league.

However, you need more than one quarterback on the depth chart, but the only other quarterback on the team right now is Brooks Bollinger. Although I was mildly surprised by the way he played last year (he was not good, but he wasn't completely terrible either), I still would not be comfortable going into the season with him as our primary backup behind Jackson. The Vikings still are in desperate need for a veteran quarterback who can both provide insurance against injury as well as mentor Jackson during the season. If someone like that is brought in, I would be comfortable with Jackson starting and Bollinger as the third string quarterback.

Draft Assessment: It doesn't make sense to give up on Jackson yet, so the Vikings will not be drafting a quarterback in the early rounds, if at all. I think there might be a chance that they draft someone towards the end of the draft and give them the chance to compete with Bollinger for the 3rd spot on the depth chart. However with Jackson, a veteran backup and Bollinger, I think the position is fairly well covered, for now at least.

Draft Priority: 2/10

FA Priority: 10/10

RB/FB

There really isn't much to say regarding the running backs. Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor are one of best (if not the best) running back tandems in the league. With the addition of Maurice Hicks as the third stringer and kick returner, the running back position is very well covered. The fullback position is also well covered with the addition of Thomas Tapeh. Naufahu Tahi is also on the roster, and Jeff Dugan and Jim Kleinsasser also have fullback experience. There is more of a chance of a fullback getting cut then there is uf the Vikings bringing in another one.

Draft Assessment: It doesn't make much sense to waste a pick on a running back if they probably aren't going to have a shot at making the team. Maybe an undrafted free agent will be brought in to compete for a practice squad spot, but at this point the running backs will be basically ignored in the draft.

Draft Priority: 0/10
    FA Priority: 0/10

TE

The tight end position is kind of a mess at the moment. There is a bit of a log jam with Visanthe Shiancoe and Jeff Dugan locked up with long contracts last year, Jim Kleinsasser signed for one more year, and Garrett Mills looking good in the last game of the season. Shiancoe and Dugan are classical tight ends that can both block and catch the ball (most of the time) when called upon, while Kleinsasser is basically a third tackle on the line. I think Kleinsasser's job is safe, simply because he is such a huge asset to the running game. Shiancoe and Dugan will also be on the roster next year due to their current contracts. I think the jury is still out on Mills; he is a bit undersized (6'2"), but he showed great quickness and hands in the Denver game, and the coaching staff seems to really like him.

Although Shiancoe did drop a lot of balls last year, its important to remember that this was his first year in a new offense, and before now he has never been used in the passing game. His lack of production can also be attributed to the play calling and Jackson's growing pains. After the season Childress said that they will utilize Shiancoe more in the passing game next year, and that he is still getting adjusted to the offense. I think with a whole offseason to work on receiving skills and to work on his timing with Jackson, Shiancoe should have a much better year next year. He has all the physical tools you look for in a tight end, and there is no reason to write him off after just one year. People always forget that tight ends to more than just catch passes though; our tight ends are all great blockers, and are one of the reasons the Vikings had the best running attack in the league last year.

Although the low production from the tight ends in the passing game might point towards us drafting a tight end, the situation is more complicated than that. First, we already have 3 tight ends that aren't going anywhere. Second, we payed a lot of money for Shiancoe to be the guy, and he will get another chance this year. Third, our tight ends played very well in the running game, and the lack of receptions was just as much a product of the play calling and Jackson's struggles as it was the actual play of the tight ends. Shiancoe will remain our featured tight end, with Dugan backing him up and Kleinsasser used as a blocker. Mills could also see some more time in the passing game. Overall, I think the tight end production will be greatly improved over last year, due to both being more familiar with the offense, and with tweaks to the play calling.

Draft Assesment: With Shiancoe, Dugan, Kleinsasser and possibly Mills all returning, there isn't much of a roster spot for a new tight end. I think the coaching staff is comfortable with our current tight ends, and Shiancoe will be the main guy. However if he doesn't show something next year, then he might be on the way out. I late round pick might be used on someone to compete with Mills, but that seems unlikely as well.

Draft Priority: 4/10

WR

Signing Bernard Berrian was absolutely huge for the Vikings' offense. We finally have a legitimate deep threat to pair with Rice and relieve some of the pressure form our running game. Together with Jackson's strong arm and the defense continually afraid of our running game, Berrian should be able to put up some huge numbers next year. Signing Berrian also allows Bobby Wade to move back into the slot where he is best suited. Between Berrian, Rice and Wade, we have a very solid set of starting receivers, each of which who specialize in different things.

Resigning Robert Ferguson also gives us a solid 4th string receiver who can provide veteran leadership to our younger guys. He isn't flashy, but he is a hard worker, a good blocker, and just plain gets the job done when he is called upon. He is not the type of receiver you would want starting every week, but he is the type of player that every team covets, and is a great backup. Aundrae Allison is the wild card in our receiving crew. The arrival of Hicks seems to say that Allison might have a reduced role in the return game, which says to me that he will be used more in the passing game. He is a very quick and shifty runner who can really make plays once he gets the ball in his hands, and I'm excited to see what his role in the offense is going to be next year.

Draft Assesment: The Vikings are very well set with their set of five receivers. They won't carry more than that on the active roster, especially with the offensive system we run. The wide receivers are actually one of the most clear cut positions on the team, where each guy has a solidified role and position. I could very well see the Vikings forgo adding any receivers by the time the season starts.

Draft Priority: 3/10
    FA Priority: 1/10

OT

Without the pending legal trouble with Bryant McKinnie, I would have said our offensive tackles were set for the season, but now I'm not sure. With McKinnie's massive contract, and general lack of quality left tackles in the league, its safe to say that McKinnie will be with the team for at least a few years. However, in all likelihood he will miss some games because of suspension this year, thanks to his newest run in with the law. His backup at left tackle is Chase Johnson, and although he has never played in a game, he was on the active roster for every game last season, so the coaching staff obviously thinks he can play. At 6'8" and 330 pounds, he has the size to be a dominant tackle, but at this point he seems to be an unknown.

On the right side, Ryan Cook has appeared to progressed significantly since the start of the season. I think with another offseason and preseason to prepare, he should be relatively solid on the right side. I don't see us replacing him unless he really struggles during the season next year. Backing him up is Marcus Johnson, a former second round pick who has starting experience. Although he lost his starting job, he is solid enough to be a good backup should Cook go down. He might also be able to play the left side if need be.

Draft Assessment: The only reason the Vikings would bring in a new tackle is if/when McKinnie is suspended, and even then, they would only be looking for a player who can fill in until McKinnie is allowed to return. That means they won't be looking for a tackle in the draft, but instead for a veteran who can fill in. Both McKinnie and Cook are still young, so drafting replacements for them doesn't make sense, and it looks like Chase and Marcus Johnson have hte backup spots secured. I don't see the Vikings drafting an offensive tackle in the draft, though they probably will bring in a veteran.

Draft Priority 2/10
    FA Priority: 8/10

OG

With Steve Hutchinson on the left, and Anthony Herrera just signed to a six year deal on the right side, its safe to say that our offensive guard spots are taken care of. Hutchinson is one of the best guards in the league, and Herrera played exceptionally well last year after beating out Artis Hicks. Hicks, like Marcus Johnson, has starting experience, and although he lost his spot, he should be solid enough to be a decent backup on the right side. He also has the flexibility to play most positions on the offensive line if he is asked to. Brian Daniels is the other guard on the roster, and is similar to Chase Johnson in the respect that both were rookies last year, and neither have any playing experience, but they were good enough to earn roster spots. I think he is good enough to backup up Hutchinson who hasn't missed a start in 5 seasons.

Draft Assessment: It looks like the guard positions are also taken care of, assuming the coaching staff is comfortable with Daniels and Hicks serving as the primary backups. However Hutchinson and Herrera are both very durable players, so backup guards are a very low priority.

Draft Priority 2/10

C

If the Vikings are in need of an offensive lineman, the most probable addition would be at center. Matt Birk is 31 years old, and although he still has 3-4 years left in him, he has also missed time in the past due to injuries. Also on the roster is Dan Mozes, who spent the whole season on IR. Although Mozes went undrafted, he was projected as one of the top centers in the nation going into the draft. He seems to have a lot of potential, and could be earmarked as Birk's future replacement. He is also flexible enough to play any of the interior line positions, and is listed as a guard on the Vikings website.

Draft Assessment: Although the Vikings have a very solid offensive line, I think that if they are going to draft an offensive lineman, it will be a center or guard who has the flexibility to play all the interior positions. It all depends on how the coaching staff feels about guys like Mozes and Daniels. I could see a later round pick being used on a center to add flexibility and depth.

Draft Priority 4/10

Overall Offensive Summary

The Vikings Front Office has done a great job of assembling a very young offense that also has surprising depth. The offensive line is anchored by great veteran players like Hutchinson and Birk, but young guys with a lot of potential like Chase Johnson, Daniels and Mozes are waiting in the wings. The same thing applies to the wide receivers; Berrian Wade and Ferguson all do their respective job very well, while Rice and Allison have a ton of potential and could develop into future stars. The running backs are obviously exceptional, and the tight ends are great assets in the ground game, and should only improve in the passing game next year.

Although our offense was a bit underwhelming last year, it looks like the FO has finally gotten all the pieces in place, and with a little more practice and experience, the offense should really come together next year. Our offense is very young, and I think that this draft will be focused mainly on the defense, where we are getting a bit longer in the tooth. I think the most probably additions to the Vikings offense would be a veteran quarterback, a veteran left tackle who is familiar with the zone blocking system we use, and a late round pick on a rookie interior lineman. We really don't have many holes on offensive at this point, we just need everyone to get on the same page and the younger guys to continue progressing.

Re: aaeyers' Offseason Needs Analysis

Opening Defensive Notes

The Vikings defense is very similar to the Vikings offensive, in the regard that they were the best in the league on the ground, but struggled in the air. Also similar to the offense, the defense is anchored by a great veteran line, with younger guys in some of the other positions. The main issue with the defense has to be the lack of a pass rush, something that still has yet to be addressed. Replacing Dwight Smith with Madieu Williams will also help while defending the pass, however it all starts with the pass rush.

Current Depth Chart

LDE: Ellis Wyms, Jayme Mitchell
    DT: Kevin Williams, Fred Evans
    DT: Pat Williams
    RDE: Ray Edwards, Brian Robison, Otis Grigsby, (Erasmus James)
    SLB: Ben Leber, Rufus Alexander, Vinny Ciurciu
    MLB: E.J. Henderson, Derrick Pope
    WLB: Chad Greenway, Heath Farwell
    CB: Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Marcus McCauley, Charles Gordon
    FS: Madieu Williams, Eric Frampton
    SS: Darren Sharper

LDE

Just as soon as Kenechi Udeze had solidified the left side of our line, the terrible news was announced that he had been diagnosed with Leukemia. Last season Udeze was extremely solid on the left side; he was great against the run, and generated consistent pass rush, even if he didn't always get the sack. His presence will be sorely missed next year, and leaves the Vikings with a gigantic hole at the LDE position.

It is important to note that in the defensive system the Vikings run, the two end positions have very different roles. The left defensive end spot focuses more on stopping the run and anchoring the line, while the right defensive end is more of a speed rusher who focuses on pressuring the quarterback. Left ends typically are bigger (~270 pounds) and have less of an emphasis on speed.

The Vikings just sidned Ellis Wyms to a one year deal, and he should be a great fit at out left end spot, though I don't think he is the type of player who the coaching staff would want starting all season. The only other left end on the roster is Jayme Mitchell, and I don't think he is a starting caliber player either. With all the big name defensive ends off the market, it looks like the Vikings will be forced to draft a rookie who is capable of starting this year. Childress likes to carry three of each defensive end on the roster, and with Mitchell and Wyms, we have the depth, all we need is a starter.

Draft Assessment: The Vikings are simply in need of a left defensive end, and there are no starting caliber players left in free agency. Unless the Vikings are able to swing a trade for a quality end, it looks like they will have no choice but to spend a first or second round pick on a defensive end.

Draft Priority: 9/10
    FA Priority: 3/10

RDE

The Vikings are actually in a good spot concerning the right defensive end position. Brian Robison and Ray Edwards combined for 10.5 sacks last year, and both players should be even more productive next year. The other right ends on the roster are Erasmus James and Otis Grigsby. If James can come back and be healthy, he can be effective, but until then Robison and Edwards are a great combo on that side. I would not be surprised at all to see them combine for 15+ sacks next year.
    Between those 4 guys, I think the position is very well covered.

Draft Assessment: All our right defensive ends are really young and should continue to progress. Between Robison, Edwards, James and Grigsby, it seems we have that position very well covered. If any new right defensive ends would be brought in, it would probably be a veteran.

Draft Priority: 1/10

DT

The Vikings have one of the premier set of defensive tackles in the league with Kevin and Pat Williams. The only questions surrounding the defensive tackle position are whether we have good enough depth, as well as how long Pat Williams will be around. It sounds like he has a good 2-4 years left in him, but it would still be prudent to start looking for a replacement for him sometime soon. As far as backups go, last year the Vikings signed Fred Evans, who played well, but he is the only other DT on the roster. Wyms is also big enough to come in at DT on passing downs, but the Vikings should still look for another DT. Evans is more of an under-tackle, and is effective while spelling Kevin Williams, so the Vikings could use another true nose-talke to backup Pat Williams.

Draft Assessment: Its very convenient that the Vikings are in need of a backup nose-tackle, because that means they can also find a future replacement for Pat Williams at the same time. It would make a lot of sense for the Vikings to draft a big, strong defensive tackle in one of the early rounds of the draft.

Draft Priority: 8/10

LB

E.J. Henderson, Chad Greenway and Ben Leber make up one of the best linebacking crews in the league. They are one of the main reasons why the Vikings had the top run defense in the league last year. They are all also under 30 years old, so they should continue to be dominant for years to come. We also have some good depth with Rufus Alexander coming back from injury, and the addition of Derrick Pope who has experience at all 3 linebacker positions. Vinny Ciurciu and Heath Farwell are also capable linebackers, and are great special teams players. It looks like Pope will be the primary backup at middle linebacker, while Alexander and Farwell will cover the outside spots. I think that with those 7 guys we have one of the best core of linebackers in the league.

Draft Assessment: Signing Pope was a big boost to our linebacker depth, and probably removes the need to draft a backup middle linebacker. Our 3 starters are nothing less than excellent, and our 4 backups are all solid, and great on special teams; I don't think there is much of a need to draft a linebacker anymore.

Draft Priority: 4/10

CB

One of our most under-rated positions has to be cornerback. Antoine Winfield is one of the best cover-2 corners in the league. He is a superb tackler, and great in zone coverage; he really solidifies that side of the field for us. Our other corners, Cedric Griffin, Marcus McCauley and Charles Gordon, are all very young, and all have a ton of potential. Although Griffin struggled early in the year, he really came into his own towards the end of the season, especially when Winfield went down with an injury. Going into his third year in the league, this is the year where he should really start to establish himself as a legitimate starting corner in this league. As our third cornerback, McCauley should really improve next year, and he seems lined up to be Winfield's future replacement. He has all the talent and physical skills, he just needs to adjust to the NFL. Like Griffin, another offseason and more experience will do him a lot of good. Gordon is also in that same boat, he is very young, and will only improve next year. Personally I think Gordon is the most under-rated player on the team, he is one of the best backup corners in the league, and I would be comfortable with him starting or playing nickle for a period of time if someone should get injured.

Draft Assessment: Outside of Winfield, all of our corners are really young, and with another year to develop they should all start to be very good. Cornerback isn't much of a need at this point. Perhaps a late round pick could be used for someone to compete for the 5th cornerback slot, but that isn't very important either.

Draft Priority: 3/10
    FA Priority: 2/10

S

The addition of Madieu Williams was huge for our defense. He should be a great safety to pair with Darren Sharper. However after those two, the Vikings are really lacking depth. The only other safety on the roster is Eric Frampton, so we are in desperate need of depth. The safety position is a lot like our defensive tackle position; we need both another backup, and a future replacement, this time for Sharper. It would make a lot of sense to draft a safety to learn from Sharper for a few years before taking over. I don't really know enough about Frampton to comment on him, but with Williams coming in at the free safety spot, our backup free safety isn't too important.

Draft Assessment: It seems that drafting a safety in the early rounds would be a great decision, because we need both depth and a replacement for Sharper. A rookie could come in and back up both safety positions since in the defensive system we run, they are virtually the same.

Draft Priority: 8/10
    FA Priority 2/10

Overall Defensive Summary

All of our eleven starting defensive positions are filled, with the lone exception being the left defensive end spot, however we still need depth and future starters at the defensive tackle and strong safety positions. It would stand to reason that our first 3 draft picks could very possibly be all defensive players. Our biggest defensive needs are a starting left defensive end, a backup/future replacement defensive tackle, a backup/future replacement strong safety, and possibly a late round linebacker for depth and to compete for a roster spot. If the Vikings can pickup a good left defensive end, and if Edwards and Robison can continue to progress and provide a consistent pass rush, I think we will have one of the best defensive units in the league next year.

Final Notes

With our young offense, the only two things that we will really need are a veteran backup quarterback, and a veteran left tackle that is familiar with the zone blocking system who can take over until McKinnie's suspension is over (assuming he is suspended). While on the other hand, most of our defensive needs would be better off being addressed in the draft, since our defense is primarily aging veterans.

By my reasoning, our biggest needs are as follows:

1. Backup veteran quarterback

2. Starting left defensive end

3. Backup/future strong safety

4. Backup/future defensive tackle

5. Veteran left tackle (in case of McKinnie suspension)

I think a lot of casual fans are going to be disappointed with this draft, because it looks like the Vikings are mostly in need of depth and youth, not really needing new starters besides the left end position. I could very easily see the Vikings trading some of this year's draft picks for future draft picks, since we have a lot of picks this year with relatively few immediate needs. The current FO has done a great job of building a solid foundation for the team, while bringing in the key free agents when needed, and I am expecting another great draft from Spielman, Studwell and Paton.

If you've made it all the way and read this far, than congratulations, and thanks for reading. Any constructive criticism and questions would be greatly appreciated. I know everyone has different opinions, but I've tried to be as objective and logical as possible, so let me know how you feel about it.

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

My biggest point of disagreement is in the QB. A good veteran back-up would be nice, but i have been convinced that there just isn't anythign better than Bollinger available. Keep in mind that this would be Bollingers 3rd year in the system as well. He is so far ahead in terms of knowing the system, and he really didn't do all that poorly last year. The best option I see is to draft a later round guy, let him and Bollinger compete for the #2 spot, and groom him to be the eventual starter if needed. The only other option I see to upgrade would be to hope that somebody good is a cap cut after the draft. I doubt that a veteran will be signed, and after the Holcomb/Thygpen Disaster, I don't really think they will trade for a back-up if it doesn't happen before the draft.

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice work!
    Very thorough and pretty much spot on.
    I like the Wyms signing, just cuz now there is at least another option at DE...and, he provides some depth at DT too...taking a bit of the pressure off of us to reach for LDE in the first round.
    Looks to me like all the big bad fast mofos may very well be gone by our pick at 17.

I'm counting about 6 roster spots that need filling, and I think we have 10 picks (2 3rds, 2 6ths, 2 7th?)
    That tells me we'll be doing some whealing and dealing.
    If the need at LDE isn't there, we might be able to move down...two extra picks in the second and the extras to move around in the 2nd and 3rd might land us some real good, top end Safety prospects, DT, QB and DE depth...and all by the end of the third round.
    I'd be OK with getting 5 picks out of rounds 2 and 3 if the value isn't there for our needs at No.17 in the first.

I'm also down with trading some of those 3rds or later picks for a vet QB to compete for Bollinger's job.
    HOU asked for a 2nd, but maybe they'd take a 3rd and 4th OR 5th...hell we could even throw in a 6th OR 7th too.
    Not too sure if there are any other good backup QBs with some starting experience out there, so we may end up having to draft one and keeping Bollinger around to help teach our two youngsters.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"tgorsegner" wrote:
    My biggest point of disagreement is in the QB. A good veteran back-up would be nice, but i have been convinced that there just isn't anythign better than Bollinger available. Keep in mind that this would be Bollingers 3rd year in the system as well. He is so far ahead in terms of knowing the system, and he really didn't do all that poorly last year. The best option I see is to draft a later round guy, let him and Bollinger compete for the #2 spot, and groom him to be the eventual starter if needed. The only other option I see to upgrade would be to hope that somebody good is a cap cut after the draft. I doubt that a veteran will be signed, and after the Holcomb/Thygpen Disaster, I don't really think they will trade for a back-up if it doesn't happen before the draft.
    I agree and disagree with this post.

I agree that there aren't any free-agents that could come in and do better than Bollinger this season.

I disagree that we would wait until the late rounds to get a QB.
    In the best interest of the Viking's future, I think they will draft a QB in the first three rounds that can compete with BB for primary backup duties and eventually challenge TJack for the starting position.
    At worst that QB could become trade-bait down the road for a team with QB needs.

It is important for us to have a backup plan in case TJack can't stay healthy or can't produce.
    This is the most important position in football, and the worst for us talent/depth-wise.
    Hopefully TJack becomes the man this season, but if not, we need a young QB to come in and start next season that has at least one year in the system.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

I disagree with the DE point you made... although, very nice analysis and thorough thought process...

However, it appears you've been listening to Marrdro a bit too much, as i've argued with him several times on the very subject...

While LDE is a problem, i don't think it's as big of a need as just a basic pass rush guy who can get the the QB...

Yes, the loss of Udeze was a big blow, but you are putting entirely way to much emphasis on the two DE positions as if they are the difference between Safety and Running back.
    It is but it's not that different... The entire line is pretty much interchangeable, as evidenced by the fact that everyone rotated all over the line.. some more than others...

A pass rush DE was our biggest priority in the offseason with our without the Loss of Udeze.. as evidenced by our crappy pass defense... which by the way has been a problem for years....

so you see my friend, it doesn't matter how big the LDE, RDE or DE is.. as long as he can hold the line, shed blocks, keep contain and get to the QB we should get them....

ppl make all this fuss about weight and height of an LDE when we also have Lb's that come in behind them as well as the williams wall all going to the RB...

Let me remind you that with/without Udeze, our run defense is going to be solid... we need a Rush end... plain and simple...

and as far as yur assessment of the LDE being approx. 270lbs, Robison, Edwards, and James are all in the vicinity of 268lbs.. so its not that much of a difference...

Additionally, Back up QB isn't our biggest need at the moment... it's a need, nonetheless, but i think in the coming weeks, we'll look to address that whether we sign a Trent Dilfer, Frerotte, Quinn Gray or trade for one... we'll pick up one of those guys and also draft a Qb my guess between rounds 3-5.

but overall very good analysis.... very good!...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    I disagree with the DE point you made... although, very nice analysis and thorough thought process...

However, it appears you've been listening to Marrdro a bit too much, as i've argued with him several times on the very subject...

While LDE is a problem, i don't think it's as big of a need as just a basic pass rush guy who can get the the QB...

Yes, the loss of Udeze was a big blow, but you are putting entirely way to much emphasis on the two DE positions as if they are the difference between Safety and Running back.
    It is but it's not that different... The entire line is pretty much interchangeable, as evidenced by the fact that everyone rotated all over the line.. some more than others...

A pass rush DE was our biggest priority in the offseason with our without the Loss of Udeze.. as evidenced by our crappy pass defense... which by the way has been a problem for years....

so you see my friend, it doesn't matter how big the LDE, RDE or DE is.. as long as he can hold the line, shed blocks, keep contain and get to the QB we should get them....

ppl make all this fuss about weight and height of an LDE when we also have Lb's that come in behind them as well as the williams wall all going to the RB...

Let me remind you that with/without Udeze, our run defense is going to be solid... we need a Rush end... plain and simple...

and as far as yur assessment of the LDE being approx. 270lbs, Robison, Edwards, and James are all in the vicinity of 268lbs.. so its not that much of a difference...

Additionally, Back up QB isn't our biggest need at the moment... it's a need, nonetheless, but i think in the coming weeks, we'll look to address that whether we sign a Trent Dilfer, Frerotte, Quinn Gray or trade for one... we'll pick up one of those guys and also draft a Qb my guess between rounds 3-5.

but overall very good analysis.... very good!...
    Good points, thanks for the input.

I wasn't trying to make too much of a deal about the differences between the two end positions, but I did want to point out that they are slightly different. And the only reason I brought up the weight issue is mainly concerning some of the rookies in the draft who are only around 250, they just don't have the weight to hold up in run support.

But I agree, whoever we bring in at LDE needs to be able to apply consistent pressure as well as make plays in run support.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I liked it but i disagree about the Qb section.
    Drafting a Qb is extremely important in this draft. We need to have one ready and groomed to take over should the TJ experiment doesn't take off as many of you predict it will. You don't want to give the guy 2 more years and then start over from scratch. You want to bring a youngster in and groom them as well while Tj spreads his wings.
    Worst case, you have 2 talented qbs on your roster and you end up trading 1 away for a draft pick( oh noes
    :-[ )
    Besides i think of 2 FA qbs better than TJ at this point and are better to lead us

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I liked it but i disagree about the Qb section.
    Drafting a Qb is extremely important in this draft. We need to have one ready and groomed to take over should the TJ experiment doesn't take off as many of you predict it will. You don't want to give the guy 2 more years and then start over from scratch. You want to bring a youngster in and groom them as well while Tj spreads his wings.
    Worst case, you have 2 talented qbs on your roster and you end up trading 1 away for a draft pick( oh noes

:-[ )
    Besides i think of 2 FA qbs better than TJ at this point and are better to lead us
    Besides your last sentence, that is what I have been advocating for a while now.
    Why not take a Brohm, Flacco, or Henne "just in case?"
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Great job aaeyers...i would have to search for something to disagree with, my first time through, i agreed with just about every word...im not going back through to make sure either
    ;D Anyway, i really agree with our needs on offense being depth at QB, and then depth in a lot of the defensive spots, the draft is going to be a lot of depth because of age, and im perfectly fine with that...we have the pieces in place, our players just have to step up...all we need now is a DE and depth incase something like injury or suspension...its up to the players now, we have fantastic starters, good enough to take us all the way...they just have to show up and play their A game.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast