Kelly Holcomb (cut)
    Troy Williamson (cut)
    Robert Ferguson (cut)
    Jim Kleinsasser (cut)
    Marcus Johnson (cut)
    Dontarrious Thomas (free agency)
    Mewelde Moore (free agency)
    Tony Richardson (retires)
    Dwight Smith (trade for a 4th round pick)
    Erasmus James (trade for 2009 pick)

Free Agency

With Sidney Rice emerging as a potential future star, Bobby Wade being very productive in the slot, and Allison showing some flashes of potential, we are merely one receiver short of having a very serviceable receiving core. We need someone who can start opposite of Rice, someone who has the speed to stretch the defense, the the hands to catch all the tough balls, and the quickness to get open consistently. There aren't any really big name receivers who look to be available this offseason, but there are a few quality receivers. My first choice would be Bernard Berrian.

In Chicago, he has been a good deep threat for them starting across from Mushin Muhammad. He would be perfect in that exact same role here in Minnesota, starting across from Rice. In the last two years in Chicago, he has started to emerge as one of their few weapons on offense, showing great quickness and deep speed, as well as pretty good hands. It would be great to steal a player like Berrian from a division rival, and I think he would love the opportunity to play in an offense that would give him many single coverages due to the opposing defenses focus on stopping the run. I think between Rice, Berrian and Wade, we would have more than enough talent to take advantage of any defense that tries to stack 8 or 9 men in the box against our running game.

Whether some of us like it or not, its almost certain that Tarvaris Jackson will be the quarterback for the Vikings next year. I personally think that with a whole offseason to look back on this year and continue to improve, along with any additions to the offense in the offseason, that Jackson will be a very good quarterback. He showed a lot of improvement this season, and we should start seeing him take his game to the next level next year.

However, there is always a risk in starting a young quarterback, something that we became painfully aware of this year. The Vikings desperately need to bring in some insurance at the position, in case Jackson ends up not working out. One of our main needs this offseason has to be a quality veteran quarterback to mentor and back up Jackson. And the only person who I can foresee that will be available at a reasonable price would be Chad Pennington. Although I personally don't like him, he is the only answer I can see. He is a good quarterback; someone who can hep Tarvaris continue to improve, as well as stepping in as a starter should Jackson get injured.

And if it turns out that Jackson just isn't cut out for the job, Pennington is more than capable to take over for a couple of years while we draft and groom someone new. Overall, we need depth, experience and insurance at the quarterback position, and thats something that Pennington would provide us.

Summary
    Sign Bernard Berrian
    Sign Chad Pennington

The Draft

1. Derrick Harvey DE Florida 6-4 245
    Although our secondary deserves a share of the blame concerning our porous pass defense, our biggest problem against the pass has to be our pass rush. Derrick Harvey is an absolute stud, and that is something we have been lacking on the edge for quite some time. Personally I don't like the idea of drafting another end in the first round, but its what we need, and at the 17th pick, Harvey would be one of the best players available. With Udeze finally emerging, I think we could finally have a set of ends who could bring this defense to the next level.

2. Craig Steltz S LSU 6-2 204
    With Dwight Smith unable to stay out of trouble, we find ourselves in need of a new FS, and Steltz would be the perfect fit for our system. Steltz is a big, hard hitting safety, something we have been lacking in Minnesota for quite some time. He is also very smart, and has great speed, allowing him to make plays all over the field. If he doesn't fall to us, Josh Barrett from Arizona State would be a good pick as well. He could learn a lot playing with Sharper, and I think he could make an immediate impact in the secondary.

3. Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State 6-3 217 (from Denver)
    Although we already have three starting receivers in Berrian, Rice and Wade, it never hurts to have more play makers on your team, and Jordy Nelson is simply the best player available at this point. This is a deep class of receivers compared to other positions, and a receiver is just the best value for this pick. He registered three straight 10-plus-catch performances, all for at least 116 yards and a touchdown against Missouri State, Texas and Kansas. He is a great playmaker, and adds another weapon to what could become a very dangerous offense.

3. Chad Rinehart RT Northern Iowa 6-5 308
    Possibly the best offensive lineman you've never heard of, Rinehart is a great run blocker and is surprisingly mobile for his size. Over the last two years, Ryan Cook has been nothing short of horrible; he can't pass block, and produces a ridiculous amount of penalties. He obviously needs to be replaced, and Rinehart should be a good pick up in the third round.

4. Owen Schmitt FB West Virginia 6-3 250

(from Smith trade)
    Owen Schmitt is an absolute beast at the FB position. He is a punishing blocker, known for breaking facemasks off of helmets, and in his entire career he has never been tackled for a loss. With Richardson retiring this year or next, we need someone who can open up holes for Peterson, and this kid is exactly what this team needs.

4. Doug Legursky C Marshall 6-3 311
    This kid is a rock. He has started every single game of his career, never missing a game. Matt Birk is also getting towards the end of his career, and I think Legursky could be the next great Vikings center. The last kid we drafted from Marshall turned out to be sort of good, so why not go back there.

5. Nelson Coleman MLB Tulsa 6-3 235
    With Thomas leaving in free agency, we need depth at linebacker, and Coleman has the size and speed needed to play middle linebacker in the NFL, and in the last 2 seasons at Tulsa he has registered 208 tackles.

7. Lance Ball RB Maryland 5-9 225
    Like Coleman, Ball is a depth pick because of Mewelde Moore leaving in free agency. With Peterson and Taylor, we don't need a superstar to back them up, so a seventh round pick is adequate. Ball however is still a great player, and would be a good third string back for us.

2008 Depth Chart

QB: Tarvaris Jackson, Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger
    RB: Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor, Lance Ball
    FB: Owen Schmitt, Jeff Dugan
    TE: Visanthe Shiancoe, Garrett Mills, Jeff Dugan
    WR: Bernard Berrian, Bobby Wade, Aundrae Allison
    WR: Sidney Rice, Jordy Nelson
    LT: Bryant McKinnie, Chase Johnson
    LG: Steve Hutchingson
    C: Matt Birk, Doug Legursky
    RG: Anthony Herrera, Artis Hicks
    RT: Chad Rinehart, Ryan Cook

LE: Kenechi Udeze, Jayme Mitchell
    DT: Pat Williams, Fred Evans
    DT: Kevin Williams, Spencer Johnson
    RE: Derrick Harvey, Ray Edwards, Brian Robison
    LOLB: Ben Leber, Rufus Alexander, Vinny Ciurciu
    MLB: E.J. Henderson, Nelson Coleman
    ROLB: Chad Greenway, Heath Farwell
    CB: Antoine Winfield, Marcus McCauley
    CB: Cedric Griffin, Charles Gordon
    FS: Craig Steltz, Tank Williams
    SS: Darren Sharper, Mike Doss

K: Ryan Longwell
    P: Chris Kluwe
    KR: Aundrae Allison, Jordy Nelson
    PR: Bobby Wade, Aundrae Allison

Final Notes

Going into this offseason our biggest needs were at WR, S, DE, RT, and QB. With these moves, I think most of those holes would be adequately filled, and the Vikings would be in a great position to look at the future. Our Offense could be very productive with 2 new play making receivers, as well as (hopefully) better play at the RT due to the competition that Rinehart would bring against Cook. After watching the Denver game, I think that Mills could develop into a solid number 2 or possible starting TE, and I think that next year Shiancoe will be much more productive. On the defensive side, We would get studs at DE and S, and our younger corners and ends would have had another year and offseason to improve.

No matter what happens during the offseason, I think we have a good foundation set up and with the addition of a few more players, I think we could have a very respectable team next year. I fully expect to see improvement from everyone, including the coaching staff next year, and a good run at the playoffs.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: aaeyers' Offseason

Now this is an excellent post. Way to much for me to digest in one sitting.
    It is currently being spit out on my puter.

One area to coment on though.......

Players Leaving
    Darrion Scott (cut)
    Kelly Holcomb (cut)
    Troy Williamson (cut)
    Robert Ferguson (cut)
    I think they keep him for Vet leadership. TWill roster spot open for new guy.
    Jim Kleinsasser (cut)
    Why.
    We are a run first team.
    He is a punishing blocker that can catch.
    Marcus Johnson (cut)
    Tony Richardson (retires) Not sure if the old boy will be ready. If the contract is right he stays.
    Who to?
    Any thoughts?
    Erasmus James (trade for 2009 pick) Who to? Any thoughts?

Again, outstanding post.
    I will probably have other thoughts/comments/questions.

;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Very nice post.

I agree with Marrdro I really dont see T-Rich retiring yet...

Also I dont see us drafting a DE in the 1st round. I bet we adress that via free agency and sign someone like Terrell Suggs or Justin Smith if we are not able to sign Jared Allen.

Look how our past DE that we picked in the 1st round have panned out. Kenechi Udeze has been sold but definatly hasnt lived up to expectations. Erasmus James enough said, that was just a horrible pick they knew he had troubles with staying healthy coming out of college..

Purple D is offline Starter

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Now this is an excellent post. Way to much for me to digest in one sitting.
    It is currently being spit out on my puter.

One area to coment on though.......

Players Leaving
    Darrion Scott (cut)
    Kelly Holcomb (cut)
    Troy Williamson (cut)
    Robert Ferguson (cut)
    Jim Kleinsasser (cut)
    Why.
    We are a run first team.
    Marcus Johnson (cut)
    Tony Richardson (retires) Not sure if the old boy will be ready. If the contract is right he stays.
    Who to?
    Any thoughts?

Again, outstanding post.
    I will probably have other thoughts/comments/questions.

;D
    I agree with Marr.
    Good post.
    I agree with
    most of those moves.
    I am not a big Pennington fan though.
    But he could be a good back up.
    If TJ makes tremendous improvement in offseason we might only need a back up.

I also feel that Kleiny could be replaced.
    He is a beast in the run game but where has he helped against 8-9 man fronts this year.
    I think the long runs AD had this year were from good O-line blocking, WR's blocking down field and just god given ability on AD's part.

Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    Very nice post.

Also I dont see us drafting a DE in the 1st round. I bet we adress that via free agency and sign someone like Terrell Suggs or Justin Smith if we are not able to sign Jared Allen.

Look how our past DE that we picked in the 1st round have panned out. Kenechi Udeze has been sold but definatly hasnt lived up to expectations. Erasmus James enough said, that was just a horrible pick they knew he had troubles with staying healthy coming out of college..
    Can anyone argue that the 2 first round picks and subsequent draft for that year have to go down in the books as the works Vikings draft in recent memory.

Damn, two first round picks and niether has panned out.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Robert Ferguson (cut)
    Jim Kleinsasser (cut)
    Why.
    We are a run first team.
    Marcus Johnson (cut)
    Who to?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the comments, I knew I should have added some explanations to that section.

I'll start off by saying I am admittedly biased against Ferguson, I just don't like him for some reason. I think that with the addition of Berrian and Nelson, there just wouldn't be roster space for Ferguson, so I would say he would get cut (probably in training camp).

Regarding Kleinsasser, I really like him, but I think that Mills is going to get a lot more work next year, and Kleinsasser is carrying too much cap space for the amount of playing time he sees. We also have Dugan, so I think we are pretty well off concerning blocking tight ends. It just comes down to the dollars and cents though.

Even if Richardson doesn't retire this year, his career is almost over. Our running attack needs a great fullback to be sucesful, and Schmitt is a rare talent. I just don't think we could pass him up, even if Richardson is on the roster. Also,
    Richardson's contract is up this year, and it just felt to me like he would call it a career, but who knows.

Concerning Dwight Smith, I think he will be gone next year no matter what, and I think we could pawn him off on someone for a 4th, it seems like a fair deal. Same thing goes for James; he just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and has been unremarkable when on the field. He also has a fairly sizable contract, and I think he just needs a change of scenery. I have no idea what he would be worth, but I think some team would take a chance on him, so I think some kind of conditional pick for next year would be reasonable.

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Robert Ferguson (cut)
    Jim Kleinsasser (cut)
    Why.
    We are a run first team.
    Marcus Johnson (cut)
    Who to?
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks for the comments, I knew I should have added some explanations to that section.

I'll start off by saying I am admittedly biased against Ferguson, I just don't like him for some reason. I think that with the addition of Berrian and Nelson, there just wouldn't be roster space for Ferguson, so I would say he would get cut (probably in training camp).

Regarding Kleinsasser, I really like him, but I think that Mills is going to get a lot more work next year, and Kleinsasser is carrying too much cap space for the amount of playing time he says. We also have Dugan, so I think we are pretty well off concerning blocking tight ends. It just comes down to the dollars and cents though.

Even if Richardson doesn't retire this year, his career is almost over. Our running attack needs a great fullback to be sucesful, and Schmitt is a rare talent. I just don't think we could pass him up, even if Richardson is on the roster. Also,
    Richardson's contract is up this year, and it just felt to me like he would call it a career, but who knows.

Concerning Dwight Smith, I think he will be gone next year no matter what, and I think we could pawn him off on someone for a 4th, it seems like a fair deal. Same thing goes for James; he just hasn't been able to stay healthy, and has been unremarkable when on the field. He also has a fairly sizable contract, and I think he just needs a change of scenery. I have no idea what he would be worth, but I think some team would take a chance on him, so I think some kind of conditional pick for next year would be reasonable.
    Excellent.
    A guy who makes a killer thread, a killer post and can defend his thoughts.

Again, let me dig into the replacements you are proposing, do a roster count and see what else I can come up with.

Still think Klieny and T-rich stay.
    I will eventually convince you of that.
    Or at least I will try real hard and will test your resolve so to speak.

Keep it up my friend.
    You and JUCJ85
    are a true delight and seem to be great additions to the page.

;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:
    Very nice post.

Can anyone argue that the 2 first round picks and subsequent draft for that year have to go down in the books as the works Vikings draft in recent memory.

gol 'darnit, two first round picks and niether has panned out.
    Yes that draft we had was horrible...and I mean horrible

1st round-Troy Williamson and Erasmus James
    2nd round-Marcus Johnson
    3rd round-Dustin Fox
    4th round-Ciatrick Fason
    6th round-CJ Mosley
    7th round-Arian Ward

Only 3 players are actually on the team and they have been absolute busts.

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

"DaVizzles" wrote:
    Very nice post.

I agree, I hate the idea of drafting another defensive end in the first round, but its an area of need. Jared Allen will not be leaving Kansas City, he will without a doubt be franchised or resigned. Same thing for Suggs, the Ravens let Adalius Thomas walk last year so they would have the room to resign Suggs. And even if they were available, I don't think we would be able to give the type of money a top tier pass rusher would demand.

And besides, we can't get it wrong 3 times in a row... can we?

"aaeyers" wrote:
    "DaVizzles" wrote:
    Very nice post.

I agree, I hate the idea of drafting another defensive end in the first round, but its an area of need. Jared Allen will not be leaving Kansas City, he will without a doubt be franchised or resigned. Same thing for Suggs, the Ravens let Adalius Thomas walk last year so they would have the room to resign Suggs. And even if they were available, I don't think we would be able to give the type of money a top tier pass rusher would demand.

And besides, we can't get it wrong 3 times in a row... can we?
    Not so sure, the Lions are having thier own problems with a certain position.
    ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast