Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: 9 picks in the draft

"Overlord" wrote:
    Other than the nine picks we already have, we may also get some compensatory picks.
    Probably not, but it's a possibility.

Last year the league handed out 32 compensatory picks to 16 teams, including four 3rd round picks and six 4th round picks (at the end of those rounds).
    Compensatory picks cannot be traded.
    Compensatory picks are determined sometime in late March based on some mysterious formula the league has that measures the value of free agents acquired against free agents lost.

I believe it is actually measured against the free agent crop from last year, because playing time is taken into account.
    So we brought in Wade, Shiancoe, Doss, and Vinny Ciurciu.
    None of them started all 16 games, which may or may not be meaningful, but Wade and Shiancoe played in every game.
    We lost Whittle, Smoot, Brad Johnson, Napoleon Harris, Bethel Johnson, and Wiggins.
    Harris and Smoot are the only ones that saw significant playing time with their new teams.

So it's probably a wash and we get zero.
    But we might get a late round pick.

Also - we gave up our 2009 6th round pick to get Holcomb, not this years.
    Thanks for the update on the 6th pick.
    I trust you so I won't bother to look it up.
    ;D

Excellent point with respect to compensatory picks.
    I hate trying to figure those cats out.
    I think Nodak Paul is up on all that stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    Other than the nine picks we already have, we may also get some compensatory picks.

Last year the league handed out 32 compensatory picks to 16 teams, including four 3rd round picks and six 4th round picks (at the end of those rounds).
    Compensatory picks are determined sometime in late March based on some mysterious formula the league has that measures the value of free agents acquired against free agents lost.

I believe it is actually measured against the free agent crop from last year, because playing time is taken into account.
    None of them started all 16 games, which may or may not be meaningful, but Wade and Shiancoe played in every game.
    We lost Whittle, Smoot, Brad Johnson, Napoleon Harris, Bethel Johnson, and Wiggins.
    Harris and Smoot are the only ones that saw significant playing time with their new teams.

;D

Actually, I am.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

Compensatory Picks
    In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of up to 32 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft.

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

viking_40 is offline Rookie

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

;D

Actually, I am.

Compensatory Picks
    In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of up to 32 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft.

Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.
    =Z=
    ;D Thanks, i'd always wondered how they worked those out, this is the reason I spend so much time reading and not posting myself lol you guys on here just know better than us english!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

;D

Actually, I am.

Compensatory Picks

=Z=
    I learn something new everyday.
    Seems kinda dumb though.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

;D

Actually, I am.

Compensatory Picks

=Z=
    Dang - Z beat me to it.
    Man, I am out at a conference on the West Coast, and I can only get my PP.O fix between sessions.
    I am starting to go through withdrawal... ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Thanks!
    Nice work.
    I've been wondering when they were going to award those.
    Weird.
    Why did we trade an 2009 pick for Holcomb?
    I think I just assumed that was a typo when it came out...At least its only a sixth.

Didn't Harris start for KC at LB?
    I know Smoot started at 5 mill per year, and the Redskins were in the playoffs.
    Wiggins and Johnson nearly washout Shank and Wade...but the their salaries are lower, huh?
    I think we'll get one for Smoot...hopefully a 4th or better!
    Maybe a later one for Harris, but he just might balance out Wade and Shank's contracts.

Seems like, certain teams have this dialed in.
    The Pats seem to sign FAs every other year, and let a bunch of older guys go play elsewhere in the other years.
    So every other year, they get a pile of extra picks...if you're going to sign a big $$$ guy, may as well sign a few of them, cuz no extra picks are coming.
    If I remember correctly, They had 4 extra picks last year!
    But will get nothing this year with all the additions they had last year...Moss, Stallworth, etc.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

;D

Actually, I am.

Compensatory Picks

=Z=
    Thanks my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Well... OK. There have been posted a few replies on this topic now, but I still don't know what we lost or/and received in that trade for the 3nd pick.
    Come on, somebody has to know!!!!
    ???

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"HEY" wrote:
    Well... OK. There have been posted a few replies on this topic now, but I still don't know what we lost or/and received in that trade for the 3nd pick.
    ???
    From Wikipedia

Broncos to Vikings. The Denver Broncos traded their third-round selection in 2008 to the Minnesota Vikings, as well as the 176th and 233rd overall selections in 2007 for the 121st selection in 2007 (used to select DT Marcus Thomas).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft

"HEY" wrote:
    ???
    We just elected to move down a few spots last year and still got our guy.
    The team that moved up to our spot gave us a thier 3rd round pick this year.

Here is a blow by blow of all the trades/shifts/moves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...327&type=story

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast