Thread: 8/2 camp notes

duvaldomo is offline Coach

8/2 camp notes

http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/1855425.aspx

Great back and forth action today between the offense and the defense. If the offense gains nice yardage on one play, the defense responds with a tackle for a loss. Much different than Tuesday's defensive massacre in the stadium

duvaldomo is offline Coach

Re: 8/2 camp notes

hopefully see peterson and taylor back soon to run against the last years #1 defense

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Hip pointers are very painful, I hope AP and CT can heal fast and get out on the practice field. Thank God they are only minor, but painful injuries that they can come back from quickly.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My two favorite quotes from that:
    "I would say we probably hit a real low spot about two days ago, and the guys really gelled together, picked it up, had some conversations among themselves. We're starting to see some leaders emerge. We're starting to see them step out and take charge of the offense themselves, rather than have all the coaches do it. That's something that we like, and these last couple practices have shown that cohesion, being able to be competitive for our defense." - Bevell on the overall progression of the offense.
    "Both guys are competing very hard, doing a very good job. It's going to be quite a battle, right on through training camp. It's great for our football team to have that type of competition. If they both play well, it'll be outstanding to have two guys who have the potential to start. It looks like that may be the case. It makes us a better team because if something happens to one of the others, there's not much of a drop off. Ideally, you'd like to have two guys really pushing and playing at a high level. Right now, we have that." - Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier on the battle between Darrion Scott and Kenechi Udeze.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleTide" wrote:

Hip pointers are very painful, I hope AP and CT can heal fast and get out on the practice field. Thank God they are only minor, but painful injuries that they can come back from quickly.

I may be wrong but, wasn't a hip-pointer the reason Bo Jackson had to retire from football so early?....

Or was it a hip-flexor.....something like that...

Instead of double posting, I'll add this that I found on a google search.

Bo Jacksons injury was way worse than I'de remembered......Not a hip-pointer at all..

Here it is..

During a Raiders playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals in 1990, Jackson suffered a serious hip injury which ended his football career and seriously threatened his baseball career. After Bo Jackson was tackled and lying in pain on the ground, he popped his hip back into place. In an interview on Untold, George Brett who attended the game said he asked the trainer what had happened to Bo. The trainer replied "Bo says he felt his hip come out of the socket, so he popped it back in, but that's just impossible, no one's that strong."

Following surgery and rehabilitation on his injured hip, it was discovered that Jackson had avascular necrosis, as a result of decreased blood supply to the head of his left femur. This caused deterioration of the femoral head, ultimately requiring that the hip be replaced. Jackson missed the entire 1992 baseball season. When he announced soon after his surgery that he would play baseball again, many thought that goal to be unrealistic, especially at the Major League level.

Jackson was able to return to the Chicago White Sox in 1993, and incredibly at his first at-bat, he homered on his first swing. The next day Nike ran a full-page ad in USA Today; it simply read "Bo Knew."

He would hit 16 home runs and 45 RBIs that season; but while his power remained, he no longer possessed his blazing speed. During his time with the White Sox, Jackson had no stolen bases. For the 1994 season, he was signed as a free agent by the California Angels for one final season before retiring.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"NordicNed" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:

I may be wrong but, wasn't a hip-pointer the reason Bo Jackson had to retire from football so early?....

Or was it a hip-flexor.....something like that...

Instead of double posting, I'll add this that I found on a google search.

Bo Jacksons injury was way worse than I'de remembered......Not a hip-pointer at all..

Here it is..

During a Raiders playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals in 1990, Jackson suffered a serious hip injury which ended his football career and seriously threatened his baseball career. After Bo Jackson was tackled and lying in pain on the ground, he popped his hip back into place. In an interview on Untold, George Brett who attended the game said he asked the trainer what had happened to Bo. The trainer replied "Bo says he felt his hip come out of the socket, so he popped it back in, but that's just impossible, no one's that strong."

Following surgery and rehabilitation on his injured hip, it was discovered that Jackson had avascular necrosis, as a result of decreased blood supply to the head of his left femur. This caused deterioration of the femoral head, ultimately requiring that the hip be replaced. Jackson missed the entire 1992 baseball season. When he announced soon after his surgery that he would play baseball again, many thought that goal to be unrealistic, especially at the Major League level.

Jackson was able to return to the Chicago White Sox in 1993, and incredibly at his first at-bat, he homered on his first swing. The next day Nike ran a full-page ad in USA Today; it simply read "Bo Knew."

He would hit 16 home runs and 45 RBIs that season; but while his power remained, he no longer possessed his blazing speed. During his time with the White Sox, Jackson had no stolen bases. For the 1994 season, he was signed as a free agent by the California Angels for one final season before retiring.

Garrison Hearst suffered the same condition (avascular necrosis) when he broke his ankle.
    He made it back after two years I think.