Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098268
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098263
    Even though I'm not so sure I believe our pass defense issues are because of our secondary (I believe its scheme and DL issues that suck), however, whats not said about William Gay (that I like) is that he has been involved in the "Zone Press" coverages that the Steelers have been running under Tomlin for the last 2 years and might help in that transition, if I'm right about them moving to that variant of the Cover 2 (not T2).
    It works both ways though. If the corners up their game, the DL looks alot better. Currently a decent DL is making a sub-par secondary look better than god-awful
    The Vikings will start Christian Ponder in Week 1. I have no doubt in my mind about this inevitability.
    Haven't been on for a while. Are the rest of you finally figuring out that Ponder is gonna start?
    Nope.
    Anyway, I like the Bulger aspect. He would be a great fit to help Ponder and Webb develop when it comes to how to prepare for a game.
    How does he help Ponder develop? I thought that was the coaches job?
    Coaches coach. Players play. Been my stance, but I also have been pretty adament that a vet QB will help when it comes to preparation (i.e. Film Study).

    Remember, Monday and Tues the coaches are in a room putting the game plan together. They don't get into the class room with their respective positions (in this case QB's) until Weds. A vet is critical to those two days of study.

    By the way, the CB's did up their game last year and most of them were backups. Can you imagine how well the defense would have looked if the DL would have brought the pressure consistently?

    And he is gonna start.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #12
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098272
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098268
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098263
    Even though I'm not so sure I believe our pass defense issues are because of our secondary (I believe its scheme and DL issues that suck), however, whats not said about William Gay (that I like) is that he has been involved in the "Zone Press" coverages that the Steelers have been running under Tomlin for the last 2 years and might help in that transition, if I'm right about them moving to that variant of the Cover 2 (not T2).
    It works both ways though. If the corners up their game, the DL looks alot better. Currently a decent DL is making a sub-par secondary look better than god-awful
    The Vikings will start Christian Ponder in Week 1. I have no doubt in my mind about this inevitability.
    Haven't been on for a while. Are the rest of you finally figuring out that Ponder is gonna start?
    Nope.
    Anyway, I like the Bulger aspect. He would be a great fit to help Ponder and Webb develop when it comes to how to prepare for a game.
    How does he help Ponder develop? I thought that was the coaches job?
    Coaches coach. Players play. Been my stance, but I also have been pretty adament that a vet QB will help when it comes to preparation (i.e. Film Study).

    Remember, Monday and Tues the coaches are in a room putting the game plan together. They don't get into the class room with their respective positions (in this case QB's) until Weds. A vet is critical to those two days of study.

    By the way, the CB's did up their game last year and most of them were backups. Can you imagine how well the defense would have looked if the DL would have brought the pressure consistently?

    And he is gonna start.
    I honestly don't think the CB's were ever the issue. It always has been the Safeties and Linebackers

    CB's when Griffen was healthy played pretty well. Our safeties, outside of Abdullah (lets see if he can keep it up) are garbage. Our Linebackers with the exception of Greenway are too slow to cover. Especially EJ, who was never fast to begin with, slowed by his leg is expected to cover the most ground in the T-2. Simply isn't going to happen. If they could perform better, our Safeties stay in position better and actually limit YAC (like you claim they're supposed to), and force the QB to make a second read rather than hitting the first man who's usually open, the DL will have a better chance at the sack. Allen last year was so close so many times, but the ball was gone too early. Even guys like Peppers or Mario wouldn't have necessarily made the sack.

    Our DL has played well. Not fantastic, but well. Our Secondary can't say the same thing.

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098276
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098272
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098268
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098263
    Even though I'm not so sure I believe our pass defense issues are because of our secondary (I believe its scheme and DL issues that suck), however, whats not said about William Gay (that I like) is that he has been involved in the "Zone Press" coverages that the Steelers have been running under Tomlin for the last 2 years and might help in that transition, if I'm right about them moving to that variant of the Cover 2 (not T2).
    It works both ways though. If the corners up their game, the DL looks alot better. Currently a decent DL is making a sub-par secondary look better than god-awful
    The Vikings will start Christian Ponder in Week 1. I have no doubt in my mind about this inevitability.
    Haven't been on for a while. Are the rest of you finally figuring out that Ponder is gonna start?
    Nope.
    Anyway, I like the Bulger aspect. He would be a great fit to help Ponder and Webb develop when it comes to how to prepare for a game.
    How does he help Ponder develop? I thought that was the coaches job?
    Coaches coach. Players play. Been my stance, but I also have been pretty adament that a vet QB will help when it comes to preparation (i.e. Film Study).

    Remember, Monday and Tues the coaches are in a room putting the game plan together. They don't get into the class room with their respective positions (in this case QB's) until Weds. A vet is critical to those two days of study.

    By the way, the CB's did up their game last year and most of them were backups. Can you imagine how well the defense would have looked if the DL would have brought the pressure consistently?

    And he is gonna start.
    I honestly don't think the CB's were ever the issue. It always has been the Safeties and Linebackers

    CB's when Griffen was healthy played pretty well. Our safeties, outside of Abdullah (lets see if he can keep it up) are garbage. Our Linebackers with the exception of Greenway are too slow to cover. Especially EJ, who was never fast to begin with, slowed by his leg is expected to cover the most ground in the T-2. Simply isn't going to happen. If they could perform better, our Safeties stay in position better and actually limit YAC (like you claim they're supposed to), and force the QB to make a second read rather than hitting the first man who's usually open, the DL will have a better chance at the sack. Allen last year was so close so many times, but the ball was gone too early. Even guys like Peppers or Mario wouldn't have necessarily made the sack.

    Our DL has played well. Not fantastic, but well. Our Secondary can't say the same thing.
    I think I can track with all of that except maybe EJ. He is a better fit for the C2 than a T2 but he still does a good job.

    On a side note, the DL can't play well. They have to play way above that for the scheme to work my friend especially the two pigs in the middle. They cannot leave a clean pocket for the QB to just step up and throw from like we saw so many times last year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098277
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098276
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098272
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098268
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1098263
    Even though I'm not so sure I believe our pass defense issues are because of our secondary (I believe its scheme and DL issues that suck), however, whats not said about William Gay (that I like) is that he has been involved in the "Zone Press" coverages that the Steelers have been running under Tomlin for the last 2 years and might help in that transition, if I'm right about them moving to that variant of the Cover 2 (not T2).
    It works both ways though. If the corners up their game, the DL looks alot better. Currently a decent DL is making a sub-par secondary look better than god-awful
    The Vikings will start Christian Ponder in Week 1. I have no doubt in my mind about this inevitability.
    Haven't been on for a while. Are the rest of you finally figuring out that Ponder is gonna start?
    Nope.
    Anyway, I like the Bulger aspect. He would be a great fit to help Ponder and Webb develop when it comes to how to prepare for a game.
    How does he help Ponder develop? I thought that was the coaches job?
    Coaches coach. Players play. Been my stance, but I also have been pretty adament that a vet QB will help when it comes to preparation (i.e. Film Study).

    Remember, Monday and Tues the coaches are in a room putting the game plan together. They don't get into the class room with their respective positions (in this case QB's) until Weds. A vet is critical to those two days of study.

    By the way, the CB's did up their game last year and most of them were backups. Can you imagine how well the defense would have looked if the DL would have brought the pressure consistently?

    And he is gonna start.
    I honestly don't think the CB's were ever the issue. It always has been the Safeties and Linebackers

    CB's when Griffen was healthy played pretty well. Our safeties, outside of Abdullah (lets see if he can keep it up) are garbage. Our Linebackers with the exception of Greenway are too slow to cover. Especially EJ, who was never fast to begin with, slowed by his leg is expected to cover the most ground in the T-2. Simply isn't going to happen. If they could perform better, our Safeties stay in position better and actually limit YAC (like you claim they're supposed to), and force the QB to make a second read rather than hitting the first man who's usually open, the DL will have a better chance at the sack. Allen last year was so close so many times, but the ball was gone too early. Even guys like Peppers or Mario wouldn't have necessarily made the sack.

    Our DL has played well. Not fantastic, but well. Our Secondary can't say the same thing.
    I think I can track with all of that except maybe EJ. He is a better fit for the C2 than a T2 but he still does a good job.

    On a side note, the DL can't play well. They have to play way above that for the scheme to work my friend especially the two pigs in the middle. They cannot leave a clean pocket for the QB to just step up and throw from like we saw so many times last year.
    Ok, DT's need to step it up at times. They're not alone though

    CB's need to jam their receiver, that is a Key component of a Tampa-2. You're supposed to rely on DL pressure, and disrupt timing by having the CB's bump the receiver. That rarely seems to happen, we'd rather play 7-10 yards off the LOS Those are easy completions. And more importantly, we can't have two safeties wandering into the same zone like we saw on more than a few occasions last year.

  5. #15
    gamecocksbaseball31's Avatar
    gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,487

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    Gallery - Yes. Could provide a big boost to the o-line. Many of you, at least I think, don't like Herrera. I do like Herrera, but inserting Gallery allows Herrera to be a swing man in case of injury and I think he could possibly push Sully for the center spot.

    Gay - YES! Our CB's are definitely an issue, both ability wise and injury wise. Ced is coming off two big injuries. Winfield is getting older. We could improve the safety position with this addition by allowing Winfield to move to safety. Asher Allen and Lito Sheppard were absolutely awful last year.

    Bulger - Possibly, but no thanks. If we bring in a vet to start in front of Ponder, it needs to be Kyle Orton. Period.

    Burress - Yes. Remember the last jailbird that came back to the NFL? He faired pretty well. Burress is a big target that would provide experience and ability for Ponder or whoever is at QB. If he comes to work, he could provide big dividends. With Sidney he gives us a big one-two punch. Without, we can make a easy transition to the post-Rice era.

    Weddle - Yes. If we keep Winfield at corner, Weddle is a great option. Tough, quiet guy who can come in and immediately bolster our secondary.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    951

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    I like the Gallery and Weddle idea. Im not sure either gets to wear purple next year though.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,061

    Re: 5 Underrated FA's That Make Them Playoff Contender

    Most of those signings would be ok, but nothing amazing. I mean, I doubt that Burress comes back that strong after being out of football for a year, especially at his age. I don't see Gay making a big impact, although he would be a nice addition. Bulger's an ok QB, but little more than a mentor for Ponder. Gallery might shore up that RG position a bit, but the positional value for the guard and the fact that he's a below average pass blocker, while having a rookie QB under center makes that a signing that wouldn't really scare me...

    The one that would scare me, though, is Weddle.

    Especially if Winfield would get moved to safety, as well. Maybe the weakest part of your team would immediately become one of your strengths. Even if Winfield stays at CB, you finally have a presence at safety, even if it's not someone who could roam the entire field with ease.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Six NFL playoff teams that might not make it back
    By marstc09 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 11:30 PM
  2. Six NFL teams unlikely to make playoff returns in '08
    By Vikefanman2000 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 01:20 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 03:12 PM
  4. MOVED: Make the NFL Playoff predictions
    By ultravikingfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 04:41 AM
  5. Make the NFL Playoff predictions
    By PurpleHornsOfDestruction in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2007, 03:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •