Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

$30 MILLION? Really?

$30 MILLION? Really?
    Thursday, March 1st, 2007
    by Kevin Seifert

Even I was surprised last night when the Strib’s venerable Sid Hartman told our editors the Vikings would have $30 million in salary cap space when free agency opens tonight. As recently as yesterday, official NFL documents listed the Vikings with $12.4 million in space under the $109 million cap. But Sid’s number is accurate, as Judd and I were able to confirm last night.

So what gives?

Several factors are at play here. First, the $30M includes the projected savings of future roster moves. Those moves include the release of QB Brad Johnson, which will save the Vikings about $1 million. Other moves that will save more money are the impending release of CB Fred Smoot, the likely departure of TE Jermaine Wiggins and the possible restructuring of TE Jim Kleinsasser’s contract.

Second, the Vikings were one of the pioneers of an accounting move that annually pushes excess cap space from one year to another. In brief, they insert “phony” incentives into contracts that consume space in one season but then are credited the following season if the performance level is not met.

For example, one season the Vikings inserted a $7 million bonus into S Brian Russell’s contract if he was in on something like 75 percent of the team’s special teams plays. Russell was a starter and, of course, did not meet the incentive. It counted $7 million against that season’s cap, but because he fell short, the Vikings were credited $7 million on the following year’s cap.

I don’t know the exact figure of the Vikings’ incentive credits this season, but it clearly is significant enough to more than double their available cap space.

There are no doubt other factors at play as well, but roster moves and incentive credits are the primary reasons. And we’ll cap our cap discussion at that. Let’s face it: Not many people care about the why. We all want to know what the money is going to be spent on, and for that, we’ll start getting answers tonight.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Re: $30 MILLION? Really?

Fantastic news.... spend spend spend!!

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

Explains why there were such varied reports that were being repeated here. This is good news but only if they:
    1. Spend it on good players who can help the team.
    2. Send me some.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I give alot of credit to our front office, especially big Rob.. That guy is a salary cap guru.. I am so excited to see who we land in FA starting tonight.. The morning after FA starts, its kinda like when you were a kid waiting for Christmas morning.. At least for me it is..

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I give alot of credit to our front office, especially big Rob.. That guy is a salary cap guru.. I am so excited to see who we land in FA starting tonight.. The morning after FA starts, its kinda like when you were a kid waiting for Christmas morning.. At least for me it is..
    That's kind of sad really, but I feel the same way.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Desertvikingfan" wrote:
    Explains why there were such varied reports that were being repeated here. This is good news but only if they:
    2. Send me some.
    But which would you prefer?
    Be careful...this could impact our opinion of how dedicated a Vikings fan you really are!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Prophet" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I don't know what kind of Christmas it's going to be this year, probably not as good as last year. My excitement this year is tempered by Speilmans comment about looking for lesser known guys (role players) instead of marquis guys (playmakers) in the FA. I know he said the guys they would try to get would be under the radar guys with a lot of potential, just don't believe a lot of those guys ever become real playmakers. He said he wants to primarily build through the draft, so I'm not expecting much under the tree FA morning.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Too bad the Free agent crop blows this year.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Desertvikingfan" wrote:
    2. Send me some.
    But which would you prefer?
    Be careful...this could impact our opinion of how dedicated a Vikings fan you really are!
    ;D Seeing as though I don't have any money now, I probably won't miss it, but would give what little I had to see the Vikes victorious in a Super Bowl. How's that?

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    God I hope I get the Millenium Falcon with the retractable landing gear and real laser sounds.

If Santa Chill brings me socks, I'm gonna be mighty pissed.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast