Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

2012 NFL Mock Draft

I know we aren't even to the 2011 draft yet, but I looked at the 2012 Mock Draft from WalterFootball.com, and they are predicting the Vikings picking #2 overall and taking Matt Barkley... I sure hope we aren't in the 2 slot come April '12.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

If we move up to #2, I'd lose my shit.

As a rebuilding team, we can NOT afford to give up what it would cost to get there.

Best case scenario I can see

we stay at #12, we lose Edwards, but get a second 1st rounder. Trade one of those for a late first and a second or third. Now we're sitting with

We should be able to do some damage with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. We just need to draft smartly. Don't reach for guys like 6th round QB's in the 2nd, but if there's a skilled player there such as Colt McCoy and we have the opportunity to draft him 3 times, pull the trigger.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I, for one, don't think we will be drafting in the top half of the 2012 draft.

I also don't think we will be draft a QB in the first round of the 2012 draft.

Rationale, I think we go out and compete with the likes of the Titans, Cards and 49rs and get either Marc Bulger or a Matt Hassleback as a stop gap for the kid we draft this year to learn behind for a year or two.

Then we will watch that kid muck through a couple of years of growing pains on the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I agree with Marr. Any QB this team still allows us to compete however I'm hoping that they take a chance with Joe Webb and see what you have. Next year's QB class shows much promise and with Webb playing I can see us having a 1-3 win season just based on schedule.

We play Chicago, Green Bay, and Detroit twice and just may end up 0-6 in the division (Detroit is a very good team especially with Stafford healthy). We will also be playing the NFC North and that division could easily have 3 teams representing them in the playoffs. We have to play Tampa Bay and New Orleans at home. We could just tally 2 extra losses right there. Then on the road we have to go to the Georgia Dome we're Matt Ryan is phenomenal at home and although I see them barely missing the playoffs, they're still a good team and even more so dominant at home. Carolina is a game I feel we can win on the road, but new coaches always find ways to turn franchises around (Sparano- Miami). Aside from that we our schedule also involves SD, Oak, Chiefs, and Denver we're I can see us going 1-3 there (maybe beating Den) and at last we play Arizona and Washington. We could very well go 2-0 or most likely 1-1. There's 3-13 for you.

Assuming Webb plays, I think Peterson has a MONSTER year, but without a QB its hard to compete against any team in the NFL. I think we lose A LOT of close games and go possibly 3-13 which could very well be the worst in the NFL. However Carolina is also playing every team we play aside from the AFC West, instead they will play the AFC North.

So I think drafting in the top 5 is a very realistic possibility and top 3 is also realistic without a QB. This is all considering Joe Webb is in. I think through all the mess Leslie had to go through last year he did a great job as a coach. I think having a down year this year wouldn't make me cry when I look at the QBs in the draft class. I think carolina is the next St. Louis Rams and will be drafting in the top 5 for the next couple of years and if they pull the trigger on QB with the first overall pick, we may have our picking of the crop on a QB class that shows much promise with Barkley and Luck.

And Washington is playing the NFC West, Carolina, Us, and AFC East. No way they end up the worst team with a schedule that favorable to them.

To be honest this is the QB class I've been waiting for. These guys are really intelligent and on top of that they have the arm to make all the throws and come from pro style offenses. I don't see any of the QBs in this year's draft being more than above average. I'm looking for the next Peyton Manning in this league, and Barkley and Luck may very well be.
    None

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090625

Rationale, I think we go out and compete with the likes of the Titans, Cards and 49rs and get either Marc Bulger or a Matt Hassleback as a stop gap for the kid we draft this year to learn behind for a year or two.

Then we will watch that kid muck through a couple of years of growing pains on the field.
    If we don't draft a first round guy this year, I don't want to draft a QB at all. No sense at all drafting some crap player who has less than a 5% chance of being a great player. I'd rather wait for someone real. That's why I wanted us to go after McCoy so badly last year. He's a guy we could have gotten in the second, I wouldn't even be upset about first, who we could sit behind Favre, let him start this year and see how he goes. He did pretty damn well this season, despite being a rookie, AND a Brown.

I don't want to keep dealing with crap QB's. We have Webb, stick with him unless we get a vet or a top QB in the draft.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090769

If we don't draft a first round guy this year, I don't want to draft a QB at all. No sense at all drafting some crap player who has less than a 5% chance of being a great player. I'd rather wait for someone real. That's why I wanted us to go after McCoy so badly last year. He's a guy we could have gotten in the second, I wouldn't even be upset about first, who we could sit behind Favre, let him start this year and see how he goes. He did pretty damn well this season, despite being a rookie, AND a Brown.

I don't want to keep dealing with crap QB's. We have Webb, stick with him unless we get a vet or a top QB in the draft.
    Exactly I'm tired of projects and guys off the street. I think we should stick with Webb give him a full season to showcase his talents. If our season is a downer we're in position for a top notch QB Luck hopefully, but if not I'll settle for Barkley.
    None

Blog Entries

Yep. No QB we pick in rounds 3-7 will be better than Webb right out of the gate. Might as well just use those picks on positions that you CAN get good players in late, and draft next year. I still say we screwed ourselves by not drafting QB early last year.

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090622
    If we move up to #2, I'd lose my shit.

As a rebuilding team, we can NOT afford to give up what it would cost to get there.

Best case scenario I can see

we stay at #12, we lose Edwards, but get a second 1st rounder. Trade one of those for a late first and a second or third. Now we're sitting with

We should be able to do some damage with 4 picks in the top 3 rounds. We just need to draft smartly. Don't reach for guys like 6th round QB's in the 2nd, but if there's a skilled player there such as Colt McCoy and we have the opportunity to draft him 3 times, pull the trigger.

He was referring to the 2012 Draft...not this one. So they think Minnesota is in for a god-awful year in 2011.

Whatever...I just want our guys to keep out of the tabloids and off the police blotters. 2010 was a trial-by-fire for any new fans of the Vikings, and a test of faith for us veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1090767
    I agree with Marr. Any QB this team still allows us to compete however I'm hoping that they take a chance with Joe Webb and see what you have. Next year's QB class shows much promise and with Webb playing I can see us having a 1-3 win season just based on schedule.

We play Chicago, Green Bay, and Detroit twice and just may end up 0-6 in the division (Detroit is a very good team especially with Stafford healthy). We will also be playing the NFC North and that division could easily have 3 teams representing them in the playoffs. We have to play Tampa Bay and New Orleans at home. We could just tally 2 extra losses right there. Then on the road we have to go to the Georgia Dome we're Matt Ryan is phenomenal at home and although I see them barely missing the playoffs, they're still a good team and even more so dominant at home. Carolina is a game I feel we can win on the road, but new coaches always find ways to turn franchises around (Sparano- Miami). Aside from that we our schedule also involves SD, Oak, Chiefs, and Denver we're I can see us going 1-3 there (maybe beating Den) and at last we play Arizona and Washington. We could very well go 2-0 or most likely 1-1. There's 3-13 for you.

Assuming Webb plays, I think Peterson has a MONSTER year, but without a QB its hard to compete against any team in the NFL. I think we lose A LOT of close games and go possibly 3-13 which could very well be the worst in the NFL. However Carolina is also playing every team we play aside from the AFC West, instead they will play the AFC North.

So I think drafting in the top 5 is a very realistic possibility and top 3 is also realistic without a QB. This is all considering Joe Webb is in. I think through all the mess Leslie had to go through last year he did a great job as a coach. I think having a down year this year wouldn't make me cry when I look at the QBs in the draft class. I think carolina is the next St. Louis Rams and will be drafting in the top 5 for the next couple of years and if they pull the trigger on QB with the first overall pick, we may have our picking of the crop on a QB class that shows much promise with Barkley and Luck.

And Washington is playing the NFC West, Carolina, Us, and AFC East. No way they end up the worst team with a schedule that favorable to them.

To be honest this is the QB class I've been waiting for. These guys are really intelligent and on top of that they have the arm to make all the throws and come from pro style offenses. I don't see any of the QBs in this year's draft being more than above average. I'm looking for the next Peyton Manning in this league, and Barkley and Luck may very well be.
    Hell of a post and not cause you agreed with me either.

Quick question. If they opt to go with Web, does that mean they think he is the eventual starter or does it mean they just want to work him to ensure they have a decent backup?

Might be a bit out there, but I could see the scenario were they go ahead and develop their backup for a year (cheaper than bringing in an old vet) and let one of the kids mature on the bench a year or two.

Over time, you then let Webb and Rookie X compete for the starter position next year or the year after.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1090769

I will admit that it is a bit early to tell on McCoy, but I don't think that 6 TD's and 9 INT's (over 8 games) is an indicator that he won't be anything other than a backup in the league and probably why he wasn't a first round selection.

Besides, if we would have taken him in the second, doesn't that then make him one of your "Not a first round" picks that only have a 5% chance of making it?

In the end, you have to take a QB like TJ almost every year. If they don't come along in a year or two, you get rid of them. Guys like TJ don't cost much and don't mortgage the organization like a Russell, Young, Lienart, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast