41 Paymah, Karl CB 4
    24 Wright, DeAndre CB 0 PS

20 Williams, Madieu S 6
    25 Johnson, Tyrell S 2
    33 Sanford, Jamarca S 0
    37 Frampton, Eric S 3
    39 Abdullah, Husain S 2
    49 Anderson, Colt S 0 PS

Another mess worth watching. Some things I considered with this group.

a. The amount of money they already have invested in Whinny and Griff.
    b. AA and Benny's play.
    c. Youth movement at S.

With respect to CB, the progress of Griff really messes this up as I really believe we could just go ahead and promote either Asher or Benny to play for Whinny if in fact his play this year wasn't related to his injury.

On a side note, its been two years in a row now that Whinny has missed considerable amount of time. I sure hope that they wrote a "Time on/off the field" clause in Whinny's contract so they can get out from under it if they try to bring in a Vet FA.

My guess is they won't bring a Vet in at either the CB or S positions. Asher and Benny will be allowed to fill in for Griff if he isn't healed and Whinny will shake off a bad year.
    quote]

(*you probably noticed...Griffin didn't make your roster list...?*)

This is the one spot I tend to disagree on. While I do think we're looking good with Griff and Sapp starting outside and Winfield rocking the nickel, its way too likely this isn't our scenario! Griffin might not be ready to start the season, and is likely not to be full speed at all this year. Winfield's (and EJs) injuries the past two years have already hurt us. Sapp is actually an UNrestricted FA. And then, we'll have next year's injuries. What if we end up with a dinged Griff playing nickel and Sapp and Asher starting outside!?!?? Or worse?

I'd like top end depth added to CB...not just as "injury insurance," but, to shore up what has statistically been our weakness for years: Pass Defense [2009 stats = 19th pass yds/game; 23rd pass TDs allowed; 26th in INTs!] With just a bit better coverage, we should get even more sacks!?! I say resign Ray, Kennedy, and Sapp, and draft or trade for a CB since DT will most likley be way picked over by our 1st pick anyway, improve coverage and go for setting a new season sack record!

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

OR? Is LB where we need better coverage? I kinda think Leber and Greenway play pretty well...? S perhaps? Or is it our scheme that keeps our S back...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:2010 Vikings Roster Analysis

mountainviking wrote:
    Nice Work! Very in depth and pretty much spot on! Thanks!!

Thats not very many open spots, and most of them aren't immediate needs either. DT does seem to be one of the biggest...Pat will retire next year if not now. I totally agree on Ray, Kennedy, Jackson, and Benny Sapp...pretty much need to resign them before Free Agency even starts (more on that below). I also see CT as likely moving on...which may actually help us sign a FA need elsewhere.

The whole new CBA rules and restrictions things definitely changes things. The way I'm seeing it, there will be 212 players who would have been UFA, but are RFA instead. (seems like pft has been keeping the list below updated) The rules are much different with RFAs...their team gets the right to match any offers, and picks dependent on the salary level they set, but the max is a 1st and 3rd, and the guaranteed salary seems a lot less than what they would be getting if they were true Free agents signing their first BIG contract (with bonus!)

Long story short, there will be teams willing to give up a 1 and 3 for a guy they know is better than anyone available at their pick. And, there will be players ready and willing to sign a better offer elsewhere! Plus, these guys are free to talk to whoever they want, no tampering, and, although the owners seem to have agreed on No More Poison Pills...they might be tempting in this market!?

While this dynamic works well for us at the moment, since we have few needs, a late pick anyway, and can afford to throw a 1 and 3 at somebody that is way more likely to make us better now, (And, trades and RFAs are unaffected by the final eight limitations!) we better look out for our own guys too! IF we want Ray to stick around, we best be signing him before somebody else gets in his ear and into his wallet!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/the-212-players-who-wont-be-unrestricted-free-agents/
    What a quality reply. Fits exactly into that which I seem to struggle with.

If for some reason, we do decide to invest a 1rst and a 3rd, what position do you think they need to fix right now and who do you think they would target?

For the life of me I just can't find a spot on this roster were you would seriously need to do that unless of course you look at something at LT or maybe, just maybe a Vet QB.

Could you imagine how sick it would be to have the following stable of QBs going into your prime year?

Starter - Noodle
    Backup/Future starter - McNabb
    TJ - 3rd string and eventual starter if you can't find someone in the next 4 or 5 years.

Give your first and third to the Iggles, take a DT in the second, and sprinkle in depth at the rest of your second day picks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking wrote:

(*you probably noticed...Griffin didn't make your roster list...?*)
    How in the hell did I miss Griff? I've been that guys only Cheerleader since he got here or pretty close to it.

Anyone remember when most were ready to dive deep into FA to find a guy to replace him? :cheer:

I found a part of the new PPO I don't like. I can't edit my posts to correct errors like that. Damn.

This is the one spot I tend to disagree on. While I do think we're looking good with Griff and Sapp starting outside and Winfield rocking the nickel, its way too likely this isn't our scenario! Griffin might not be ready to start the season, and is likely not to be full speed at all this year. Winfield's (and EJs) injuries the past two years have already hurt us. Sapp is actually an UNrestricted FA. And then, we'll have next year's injuries. What if we end up with a dinged Griff playing nickel and Sapp and Asher starting outside!?!?? Or worse?

I'd like top end depth added to CB...not just as "injury insurance," but, to shore up what has statistically been our weakness for years: Pass Defense [2009 stats = 19th pass yds/game; 23rd pass TDs allowed; 26th in INTs!] With just a bit better coverage, we should get even more sacks!?! I say resign Ray, Kennedy, and Sapp, and draft or trade for a CB since DT will most likley be way picked over by our 1st pick anyway, improve coverage and go for setting a new season sack record!
    Might be an answer to what I asked in the last post. Vet CB ehhhhh. I'd like to see them make a move for a LT but, yea, I could go with spending a 1rst and 3rd in that area as well. Would give you a instant starter and definately shore up one of our weak areas.

Follow up question then. If they opt to go that way, do they look for a Cover 2 guy and stay with the scheme or do they get a shut down corner and possibly change 2 prime areas (DT/CB) on your defense/scheme as you question lower.?

BAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

OR? Is LB where we need better coverage? I kinda think Leber and Greenway play pretty well...? S perhaps? Or is it our scheme that keeps our S back...?
    I wouldn't go ahead and completely change the scheme under this scenario (DT/CB fixed) because of what/who you have at S. It would be tough to change everything out in one year based on the ristrictions you discussed in your first post.

Damn good stuff my friend.

You know what I think? I think that this will be the most exciting offseason to be a Vikings fan that I can remember. The FO pukes have improved this team each year and have kindof done it with some flare........

Can you imagine what they are working on behind them doors right now........Dnabb trade would be a topper. hmy:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    76 Hutchinson, Steve G 9
    64 Herrera, Anthony G 6
    74 McKinnie, Bryant T 8
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 0
    79 Hicks, Artis T 8
    62 Cook, Ryan T 4
    60 Radovich, Drew T 2 PS
    78 Brown, Patrick T 0 PS
    75 Clark, Chris T 1 PS
    65 Sullivan, John C 2
    68 Cooper, Jon C 0

Here is another group that is going to be fund to watch see what the staff does especially when you consider how much the owner must be steamed over what Big Mac did at the Probowl and key backups like Hicks and Cook FA's.

My guess is that they will opt to keep either Hicks or Cook and shop Big Mac. If they can unload Big Mac they might promote Radovich or go ahead and take a LT high.

In the end, my guess is that because this team is pretty mature along all positions, starting over at LT might not be to well recieved by the Backs (Quarter and Running).
    I will be surprised to see McKinnie back. I just think he continues to be an embarrassment, and, that's not something Zygi is down with. Don't know the cap issue though, admittedly. Would not be surprised to see him packaged in a trade for a QB. Is that a better choice than the #1 draft choice? No, not really. This will be interesting, to be sure.

I like Radovich, always have...it was too bad he got hurt as a rook.

Cook will be gone, Hicks will stay IMO. Hutch, back issues totally, not performance, according to some inside info.

They will draft O-line somewhere methinks.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Marrdro wrote:
    26 Winfield, Antoine CB 11
    22 Sapp, Benny CB 6
    21 Allen, Asher CB 0
    41 Paymah, Karl CB 4
    24 Wright, DeAndre CB 0 PS

20 Williams, Madieu S 6
    25 Johnson, Tyrell S 2
    33 Sanford, Jamarca S 0
    37 Frampton, Eric S 3
    39 Abdullah, Husain S 2
    49 Anderson, Colt S 0 PS

Another mess worth watching. Some things I considered with this group.

a. The amount of money they already have invested in Whinny and Griff.
    b. AA and Benny's play.
    c. Youth movement at S.

With respect to CB, the progress of Griff really messes this up as I really believe we could just go ahead and promote either Asher or Benny to play for Whinny if in fact his play this year wasn't related to his injury.

On a side note, its been two years in a row now that Whinny has missed considerable amount of time. I sure hope that they wrote a "Time on/off the field" clause in Whinny's contract so they can get out from under it if they try to bring in a Vet FA.

My guess is they won't bring a Vet in at either the CB or S positions. Asher and Benny will be allowed to fill in for Griff if he isn't healed and Whinny will shake off a bad year.

On to S, JS and STJ showed enough that I believe the staff feels comfortable that one, or both will be vialble starters in this scheme for years to come. Whoever steps up next year, will step up enough that M-will will also play better as I believe some of his inconsistency was related to helping out a bit.

The FA's will be allowed to walk, and those roster positions will be filled by a 2nd day draft pick or a UDFA who is brought in and shows potential.
    With Rodgers, Cutler (with Martz), and Stafford, I think it is essential to continue to improve the secondary. Scout.com has us taking Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State. Could argue that to be sure, however, the NFC North, the Super Bowl participants, the Patriots, the Cardinals, the Eagles...most of the top teams in today's NFL are proficient at passing. Don't forget, Griff blew ACL in the Championship Game. I think we are exposed here.

I'm not convinced Williams/Johnson combo is good enough. I think they are the weakest link...without question.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

Thats not very many open spots, and most of them aren't immediate needs either. DT does seem to be one of the biggest...Pat will retire next year if not now. I totally agree on Ray, Kennedy, Jackson, and Benny Sapp...pretty much need to resign them before Free Agency even starts (more on that below). I also see CT as likely moving on...which may actually help us sign a FA need elsewhere.

The whole new CBA rules and restrictions things definitely changes things. The way I'm seeing it, there will be 212 players who would have been UFA, but are RFA instead. (seems like pft has been keeping the list below updated) The rules are much different with RFAs...their team gets the right to match any offers, and picks dependent on the salary level they set, but the max is a 1st and 3rd, and the guaranteed salary seems a lot less than what they would be getting if they were true Free agents signing their first BIG contract (with bonus!)

Long story short, there will be teams willing to give up a 1 and 3 for a guy they know is better than anyone available at their pick. And, there will be players ready and willing to sign a better offer elsewhere! Plus, these guys are free to talk to whoever they want, no tampering, and, although the owners seem to have agreed on No More Poison Pills...they might be tempting in this market!?

While this dynamic works well for us at the moment, since we have few needs, a late pick anyway, and can afford to throw a 1 and 3 at somebody that is way more likely to make us better now, (And, trades and RFAs are unaffected by the final eight limitations!) we better look out for our own guys too! IF we want Ray to stick around, we best be signing him before somebody else gets in his ear and into his wallet!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/the-212-players-who-wont-be-unrestricted-free-agents/

If for some reason, we do decide to invest a 1rst and a 3rd, what position do you think they need to fix right now and who do you think they would target?

For the life of me I just can't find a spot on this roster were you would seriously need to do that unless of course you look at something at LT or maybe, just maybe a Vet QB.

Could you imagine how sick it would be to have the following stable of QBs going into your prime year?

Starter - Noodle
    TJ - 3rd string and eventual starter if you can't find someone in the next 4 or 5 years.

Give your first and third to the Iggles, take a DT in the second, and sprinkle in depth at the rest of your second day picks.
    WTF?! Are you serious? I say this every year, I am so glad you don't run this team.

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

Starter - Noodle

WTF?! Are you serious? I say this every year, I am so glad you don't run this team.
    Stay with the flow of the discussion my friend. Of course I'm not serious. How in the hell would they be able to pay 3 starters.....

By the way, you say this every year because you get wrapped up in the "Right Wrong" "Owned" crap instead of just having a football discussion.

In the end, there isn't anything else going on on here now is there.

MaxVike wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    76 Hutchinson, Steve G 9
    64 Herrera, Anthony G 6
    74 McKinnie, Bryant T 8
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 0
    79 Hicks, Artis T 8
    62 Cook, Ryan T 4
    60 Radovich, Drew T 2 PS
    78 Brown, Patrick T 0 PS
    75 Clark, Chris T 1 PS
    65 Sullivan, John C 2
    68 Cooper, Jon C 0

Here is another group that is going to be fund to watch see what the staff does especially when you consider how much the owner must be steamed over what Big Mac did at the Probowl and key backups like Hicks and Cook FA's.

My guess is that they will opt to keep either Hicks or Cook and shop Big Mac. If they can unload Big Mac they might promote Radovich or go ahead and take a LT high.

In the end, my guess is that because this team is pretty mature along all positions, starting over at LT might not be to well recieved by the Backs (Quarter and Running).
    I will be surprised to see McKinnie back. I just think he continues to be an embarrassment, and, that's not something Zygi is down with. Don't know the cap issue though, admittedly. Would not be surprised to see him packaged in a trade for a QB. Is that a better choice than the #1 draft choice? No, not really. This will be interesting, to be sure.

I like Radovich, always have...it was too bad he got hurt as a rook.

Cook will be gone, Hicks will stay IMO. Hutch, back issues totally, not performance, according to some inside info.

They will draft O-line somewhere methinks.
    Some good stuff there my friend.

I see what your saying about Big Mac. Hell its the owners money anyway, so if he say go, he must be saying with the knowledge it would cost him a bit.

Wasn't a big fan of Hicks until I relented and ate some crow over the guy last year. Seems to be a "Jack of all Trades" "Master of None" kindof player and wouldn't be to upset if they rewarded his efforts with a nice contract.

On to a replacement if Big Mac is gone.....Other than throwing an idea out there to bring in a washed up PUKER (Mars will want to insert Clifton at some point), who would you plug in/go after?

In the draft I am tracking the following teams in need of LT help...

Washington Redskins: Russell Okung
    Kansas City Chiefs: Anthony Davis
    San Francisco 49ers: Bryan Bulaga
    Green Bay Packers: Trent Williams
    Arizona Cardinals: Bruce Campbell

Draft Dog Value Board

When I look at a "Value Board", Even if the Deadskins go with QB Okun will go early so what does that leave us in the draft? Surely we can't get an instant starter in the first round, unless of course you have Charles Brown as a first round talent.

So that brings us to the VET FA options. From my understanding we can't go out and land one of them unless we look to trade because we are one of the "Elite 8" not to mention teams just don't let good LT's roam about as Free Agents. Most sign them cause they are so hard to come by.

OK, now that we've ruled out the draft and FA, that leaves us with the bench.

74 McKinnie, Bryant T 8
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 0
    79 Hicks, Artis T 8
    62 Cook, Ryan T 4
    60 Radovich, Drew T 2 PS
    78 Brown, Patrick T 0 PS
    75 Clark, Chris T 1 PS

Do we move Load and bring in Cook? Banish the thought. That breaks two positions. Besides the Load struggled a bit against speedier rushers at the RT position. I don't think it would be wise to move him.

Can Cook play LT? Again, same issue with speed rushers. Bad move.

Hicks was OK in relief but don't see him goind all 16 games.

Don't know much about Brown or Clark so I can't comment on thier skills, but they are on a PS for a reason.

Enter Radovich. Even though I like the guy, is he ready to take on that responsibility? Again, not much to go on, but I am trending to no more than yes.

In the end, this is gonna be fun to watch. If they elect to stick with Big Mac you will have the negative PR aspect as well as questions with respect to his play. If you elect to go with Rad you might see the same fallout.

Damn I love the offseason. So many things to ponder.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

Starter - Noodle

Stay with the flow of the discussion my friend. Of course I'm not serious. How in the hell would they be able to pay 3 starters.....

By the way, you say this every year because you get wrapped up in the "Right Wrong" "Owned" crap instead of just having a football discussion.

Flow of disscusion? Not having a football discussion?

So is my owned and right/wrong comments crap or your dictating of how a thread should flow?

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

Starter - Noodle

Flow of disscusion? Not having a football discussion?

So is my owned and right/wrong comments crap or your dictating of how a thread should flow?
    I dictate nothing, but I do think that the whole "Who's right/Who's wrong" and "Owned" thing kindof takes away from the site.

I get numerous PM's from posters who won't post cause they are afraid they will be called out.

I mean seriously, how can anyone be considered right or wrong? None of us are pro's at this....

In the end, post what you will. I will still read it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast