Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

2010 Vikings Roster Analysis

OK, here we go again. Its that time of the year were I take alook at our roster and try to guess what the FO pukes and the Coaching staff are gonna do.

I don't like to do math in public but if I added right we have 61 on the roster using the info on Vikings.com

# Name Pos. Yrs.
    4 Favre, Brett QB 19
    7 Jackson, Tarvaris QB 4
    2 Rosenfels, Sage QB 9

28 Peterson, Adrian RB 3
    29 Taylor, Chester RB 8
    34 Young, Albert RB 1
    42 Johnson, Ian RB 0 PS
    38 Tahi, Naufahu FB 4
    83 Dugan, Jeff FB 6

81 Shiancoe, Visanthe TE 7
    40 Kleinsasser, Jim TE 11
    45 Mills, Garrett TE 3

87 Berrian, Bernard WR 6
    18 Rice, Sidney WR 3
    12 Harvin, Percy WR 0
    82 Reynaud, Darius WR 2
    11 Johnson, Jaymar WR 1
    17 Lewis, Greg WR 7
    15 Perretta, Vinny WR 0 PS

76 Hutchinson, Steve G 9
    64 Herrera, Anthony G 6
    74 McKinnie, Bryant T 8
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 0
    79 Hicks, Artis T 8
    62 Cook, Ryan T 4
    60 Radovich, Drew T 2 PS
    78 Brown, Patrick T 0 PS
    75 Clark, Chris T 1 PS
    65 Sullivan, John C 2
    68 Cooper, Jon C 0

26 Winfield, Antoine CB 11
    22 Sapp, Benny CB 6
    21 Allen, Asher CB 0
    41 Paymah, Karl CB 4
    24 Wright, DeAndre CB 0 PS

20 Williams, Madieu S 6
    25 Johnson, Tyrell S 2
    33 Sanford, Jamarca S 0
    37 Frampton, Eric S 3
    39 Abdullah, Husain S 2
    49 Anderson, Colt S 0 PS

69 Allen, Jared DE 6
    91 Edwards, Ray DE 4
    96 Robison, Brian DE 3
    93 Williams, Kevin DT 7
    71 Kennedy, Jimmy DT 6
    94 Williams, Pat DT 13
    90 Evans, Fred DT 4
    98 Guion, Letroy DT 2
    95 Johnson, Tremaine DT 0 PS

56 Henderson, E.J. MLB 6 IR
    54 Brinkley, Jasper MLB 0
    59 Farwell, Heath MLB 5
    52 Greenway, Chad OLB 4
    51 Leber, Ben OLB 8
    55 Onatolu, Kenny OLB 1
    57 Leman, J OLB 1
    50 Henderson, Erin OLB 2

46 Loeffler, Cullen LS 6
    8 Longwell, Ryan K 13
    5 Kluwe, Chris P 5
    NFL.com

And the following being listed on KFFL as our FA's.

QB Tarvaris Jackson UFA
    RB Chester Taylor UFA
    FB Naufahu Tahi UFA
    WR Greg Lewis UFA
    OG Artis Hicks UFA
    C Ryan Cook UFA
    DL Ray Edwards UFA
    DL Fred Evans UFA
    DL Jimmy Kennedy UFA
    CB Karl Paymah UFA
    CB Benny Sapp UFA
    FS Eric Frampton RFA
    KFFL - 2010 Vikes FA List

Gonna try and do the following a bit different than the previous years. Gonna break them down by position on different pages as it gets to big to read if I don't.

Please feel free to point out anything you think is either wrong with the roster or discuss items if you don't agree.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:2010 Vikings Roster Analysis

# Name Pos. Yrs.
    4 Favre, Brett QB 19
    7 Jackson, Tarvaris QB 4
    2 Rosenfels, Sage QB 9

Been pretty vocal about this, however, let me state it one more time. I am factoring into my roster analysis that the Noodle will be back so I don't think that the team has any worries with respect to the starter.

Additionally, I believe that TJ has shown enough to warrant a contract. I expect that the staff thinks so as well or else they wouldn't have carried his as the number 2 all season.

That leaves us with Sage and the draft. I don't see anything happening to soon with Sage as I suspect that the staff will hold him on the roster going into camp as well as drafting another rookie as a project.

Rationale behind doing that is that they have the luxury of making sure TJ continued to improve during the offseason as well as to make sure they have another option in case I am wrong about the Noodle.

Another item to watch is were will the Vikes draft thier next QB. If they go early, that could be taken as they don't have alot of confidence in TJ as the future. If they go late, then it could be an indicator that they are comfortable with TJ and will draft a guy to groom as his preplacement/backup if he doesn't pan out or gets hurt.

28 Peterson, Adrian RB 3
    29 Taylor, Chester RB 8
    34 Young, Albert RB 1
    42 Johnson, Ian RB 0 PS
    38 Tahi, Naufahu FB 4
    83 Dugan, Jeff FB 6

This is the fun one. I really believe that Chester will be gone and that the staff is ready and willing to move on with either AY or IJ as the replacement for him. I expect they will also burn a second day draft pick on a RB that they can either hit gold with or as another guy they can groom on the PS like they have done with AY and IJ.

FB is another story. I lumped Dugan as a FB cause of two reasons.....a) Vikings.com carries him there. b) He really does work alot at FB/H-back.

Regardless, I just don't see them doing much here. Tahi will be let go unless his agent agrees to a lowball contract offer, if the team even offers that. My guess is, as always, that this position is of so little consequence in this scheme that they will go ahead and fill his roster position by using a second day draft pick and let Dugan start in a FB role.

On a side note, and a good segue into the TE's, I really thought Mills would be good in that role.

81 Shiancoe, Visanthe TE 7
    40 Kleinsasser, Jim TE 11
    45 Mills, Garrett TE 3

I thought Mills got cut sometime during the season, along with JDB, as they worked the additions to the roster because of injury.

Anyway, Shanc has become a great asset. Sauce is still solid as a lead blocker and should really be considered another OL assett the way he lays the lumber.

Still, all in all, another young talent could be added with a second day pick on a "Inline" "Everydown" TE.

Having said that, I am currently tracking one open roster spot for the QB (Sage let go) and for FB (Tahi let go).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

87 Berrian, Bernard WR 6
    18 Rice, Sidney WR 3
    12 Harvin, Percy WR 0
    82 Reynaud, Darius WR 2
    11 Johnson, Jaymar WR 1
    17 Lewis, Greg WR 7
    15 Perretta, Vinny WR 0 PS

This position leaves me a bit complexed. Normally this has been a weak spot on the team but this year is sure seemed to have some life breathed into it with the emergence of El Syd and PH.

Additionally, they finally made alot of you happy and carried an additional 6th WR instead of thier traditional 5. I have myself convinced that the reason they did that is that they possibly might be considering going into the season without Berrian.

Although he has shown flashes, mostly in 2008, he sure seems to be a hard cat to keep healthy. If the staff is looking to save some money or use someone as trade bait, BB might be the option.

My guess in the end, is that they will reduce thier 53 man roster number back to 5 with the following making the roster.....

87 Berrian, Bernard WR 6
    18 Rice, Sidney WR 3
    12 Harvin, Percy WR 0
    82 Reynaud, Darius WR 2
    11 Johnson, Jaymar WR 1 or a 2010 draft pick

With BB getting cut/traded, Lewis getting cut and a seconday draft pick used to add another cat to groom/joining Perretta on the PS.

Watch to see if JJ cracks the roster again and rewards the staff for keeping him on the 53 man roster last year. He could possibly get pushed for that spot if a Rookie is picked high, say 3rd round.

76 Hutchinson, Steve G 9
    64 Herrera, Anthony G 6
    74 McKinnie, Bryant T 8
    71 Loadholt, Phil T 0
    79 Hicks, Artis T 8
    62 Cook, Ryan T 4
    60 Radovich, Drew T 2 PS
    78 Brown, Patrick T 0 PS
    75 Clark, Chris T 1 PS
    65 Sullivan, John C 2
    68 Cooper, Jon C 0

Here is another group that is going to be fund to watch see what the staff does especially when you consider how much the owner must be steamed over what Big Mac did at the Probowl and key backups like Hicks and Cook FA's.

My guess is that they will opt to keep either Hicks or Cook and shop Big Mac. If they can unload Big Mac they might promote Radovich or go ahead and take a LT high.

In the end, my guess is that because this team is pretty mature along all positions, starting over at LT might not be to well recieved by the Backs (Quarter and Running).

26 Winfield, Antoine CB 11
    22 Sapp, Benny CB 6
    21 Allen, Asher CB 0
    41 Paymah, Karl CB 4
    24 Wright, DeAndre CB 0 PS

20 Williams, Madieu S 6
    25 Johnson, Tyrell S 2
    33 Sanford, Jamarca S 0
    37 Frampton, Eric S 3
    39 Abdullah, Husain S 2
    49 Anderson, Colt S 0 PS

Another mess worth watching. Some things I considered with this group.

a. The amount of money they already have invested in Whinny and Griff.
    b. AA and Benny's play.
    c. Youth movement at S.

With respect to CB, the progress of Griff really messes this up as I really believe we could just go ahead and promote either Asher or Benny to play for Whinny if in fact his play this year wasn't related to his injury.

On a side note, its been two years in a row now that Whinny has missed considerable amount of time. I sure hope that they wrote a "Time on/off the field" clause in Whinny's contract so they can get out from under it if they try to bring in a Vet FA.

My guess is they won't bring a Vet in at either the CB or S positions. Asher and Benny will be allowed to fill in for Griff if he isn't healed and Whinny will shake off a bad year.

On to S, JS and STJ showed enough that I believe the staff feels comfortable that one, or both will be vialble starters in this scheme for years to come. Whoever steps up next year, will step up enough that M-will will also play better as I believe some of his inconsistency was related to helping out a bit.

The FA's will be allowed to walk, and those roster positions will be filled by a 2nd day draft pick or a UDFA who is brought in and shows potential.

69 Allen, Jared DE 6
    91 Edwards, Ray DE 4
    96 Robison, Brian DE 3
    93 Williams, Kevin DT 7
    71 Kennedy, Jimmy DT 6
    94 Williams, Pat DT 13
    90 Evans, Fred DT 4
    98 Guion, Letroy DT 2
    95 Johnson, Tremaine DT 0 PS

How did we get through the season with only 3 DE's? What happened to Jayme Mitchell? ESPN.com has him on thier roster.

Anyway, the team needs to pony up the cash and resign Ray. Additionally they need to look real hard at Phat Pat and what is behind him.

I really watched close and he (Pat) sure did take alot of reps off this year and JK seemed to excell as he got more reps.

The team could go ahead and use Phat Pats salary and make a 3 year offer to JK if he continues to understand that he is a DT and not a DE.

Problem is, JK is as old as K-will. With Guion standing in the wings to assume K-wills role, I look to see the staff use a day one pick on DT.

On a side note, don't know much about Tremaine but at 6-2 and 285 lbs, I'm not so sure he has the bod to take over for Phat Pat.

56 Henderson, E.J. MLB 6 IR
    54 Brinkley, Jasper MLB 0
    59 Farwell, Heath MLB 5
    52 Greenway, Chad OLB 4
    51 Leber, Ben OLB 8
    55 Onatolu, Kenny OLB 1
    57 Leman, J OLB 1
    50 Henderson, Erin OLB 2

The status of EJ, again, haunts us during the offseason. Can Jasper continue to exceed all of our hopes and assume the MLB role next year if EJ isn't back?

Will Farwell make the team next year based on how well Onatolu played on ST's this year or will he be retained another year as a backup behind Jasper as well as a continued role as a ST's leader.

Erin has been pretty much a non factor and I don't know to much about Leman.

My guess (based on EJ not being 100%) is that they will opt to let Erin go and will draft a (OLB) kid in the second day for depth and will bring in a older vet (there is a glut of them out there to be had) that can mentor/backup Jasper while EJ is allowed to get ready for 2011.

46 Loeffler, Cullen LS 6
    8 Longwell, Ryan K 13
    5 Kluwe, Chris P 5

For the first time in a long time, I am not overly excited about this group.

Kluwe seemed to come around now that we have a ST's coordinator who isn't telling him to just kick the shit out of it, but rather kick to spots. Which he did with very few gaffs this year.

Shortwell is still pretty accurate which almost makes up for his short assed Kickoffs. Sure wish he could negate a ST's return ace like the kicker did to PH in the NFC Championship game.

Man would I love to see some kids brought in to see if they could do both KO and P duties which would allow ole Shortwell to just save his leg for FG's.

What will the staff elect to do with the FA's.

QB Tarvaris Jackson UFA - Resigned
    RB Chester Taylor UFA - Opts to take a contract elsewhere
    FB Naufahu Tahi UFA - Released
    WR Greg Lewis UFA - Released
    OG Artis Hicks UFA - Resigned
    C Ryan Cook UFA - Opts to take a contract elsewhere
    DL Ray Edwards UFA - Resigned
    DL Fred Evans UFA - Opts to take a contract elsewhere
    DL Jimmy Kennedy UFA - Resigned after Phat Pat retires
    CB Karl Paymah UFA - Released
    CB Benny Sapp UFA - Resigned after testing FA market
    FS Eric Frampton RFA - Released

Assumption on my part is that Ole Ricky boy will treat the 2006 cats just like he would if he drafted them (instead of that goof Foley).

TJ. I believe he still has a future as our starter. One more year of watching the Noodle should gaurantee that happens without any issues.

Ray. After finally starting to get it done consistently, its time for the organization to reward his efforts with a nice fat contract which would cement our DE's positions for years to come.

CT. I know a few of you believe he will stick around so that he can try to win a ring, but I believe he will look to take care of his by going someplace were they need a starter to round out a team ready to go to the next level, i.e. the Chargers. Counting this as a open roster spot.

Tahi. Again, I just don't see the need for a FB in this scheme unless they are going to start using him as a offensive weapon. Counting this as a open roster spot.

Hicks/Cook. These two are tied at the hip. What happens to them will be driven by what happens with Big Mac and how much money the want. I suspect we will wind up keeping only one of them and that probably will be Hicks as I think Cook will get a bit of interest from a team and regardless of the offer, he will elect to move on.

Evans/JK. Basically I think the staff will make an offer to JK which he might take because Phat Pats decreasing reps and retirement comments. I additionally think that Evans will be allowed to test the FA market but don't think he will get much interest. Regardless, between the 3 of them I am going to stick with this as one open roster spot.

Lewis/Paymah/Frampton will all be released with all of them trying to get back on the roster by accepting low ball offers after they don't garner much interest.

Intent is to track them as 3 open roster positions.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Nice Work! Very in depth and pretty much spot on! Thanks!!

Thats not very many open spots, and most of them aren't immediate needs either. DT does seem to be one of the biggest...Pat will retire next year if not now. I totally agree on Ray, Kennedy, Jackson, and Benny Sapp...pretty much need to resign them before Free Agency even starts (more on that below). I also see CT as likely moving on...which may actually help us sign a FA need elsewhere.

The whole new CBA rules and restrictions things definitely changes things. The way I'm seeing it, there will be 212 players who would have been UFA, but are RFA instead. (seems like pft has been keeping the list below updated) The rules are much different with RFAs...their team gets the right to match any offers, and picks dependent on the salary level they set, but the max is a 1st and 3rd, and the guaranteed salary seems a lot less than what they would be getting if they were true Free agents signing their first BIG contract (with bonus!)

Long story short, there will be teams willing to give up a 1 and 3 for a guy they know is better than anyone available at their pick. And, there will be players ready and willing to sign a better offer elsewhere! Plus, these guys are free to talk to whoever they want, no tampering, and, although the owners seem to have agreed on No More Poison Pills...they might be tempting in this market!?

While this dynamic works well for us at the moment, since we have few needs, a late pick anyway, and can afford to throw a 1 and 3 at somebody that is way more likely to make us better now, (And, trades and RFAs are unaffected by the final eight limitations!) we better look out for our own guys too! IF we want Ray to stick around, we best be signing him before somebody else gets in his ear and into his wallet!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/the-212-players-who-wont-be-unrestricted-free-agents/
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast