NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

2010 Vikings Draft Party(s)

http://www.vikings.com/schedule/2010-vikings-draft-party.html
    2010 Vikings Draft Events

Vikings fans, come out and celebrate the 2010 NFL Draft on Thursday, April 22. The Vikings will be holding Official Draft Parties from 6:00 – 11:00 PM at 12 locations around the Twin Cities. Each location will feature appearances by current or former players, the Minnesota Vikings Cheerleaders and the Vikings Street Team. Fans attending these events will have the opportunity to win great prizes including a trip for two (2) the Vikings game in New Orleans this season. KFAN will broadcast live from Jimmy’s in Vadnais Heights. Official Vikings Draft Headquarters include:

Location Address City
    Ray J's American Grill 9854 Norma Lane Woodbury
    Jimmy's Food and Drink 1132 County Road E East Vadnais Heights
    Joe Senser's 4217 American Blvd W Bloomington
    Primetime Sports Bar & Grill 14103 Irving Ave S Burnsville
    Moose on Monroe 356 Monroe Street NE Minneapolis
    Bunny's Bar & Grill 5916 Excelsior Blvd St. Louis Park
    Farmington American Legion 10 North 8th Street Farmington
    Babes Sports Bar & Grill 20685 Holyoke Ave Lakeville
    Cuzzy's Brick House 2880 Chaska Blvd Chaska
    Buffalo Wild Wings 550 W. 79th Street Chanhassen
    The Lookout Bar & Grill 8672 Pineview Lane Maple Grove
    Major's Sports Café 5651 La Centre Ave Albertville
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

Re: 2010 Vikings Draft Party(s)

Worst Draft Party plans ever.

Seriously, there is no way I am going to drive to the Cities just to watch the draft at a f-ing sports bar. I can do that here.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Tempting, considering I live 5 minutes away from Jimmy's in Vadnais Heights.

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

Re:2010 Vikings Draft Party(s)

Why are they screwing with the Draft so much??? It was one thing when they stretched it out to 2 days...I could sort of understand that.

This new change-up, though...SUCKS! Why would they decide to totally trash their TV ratings, when as early as a year or so ago, the Draft was becoming not just another part of the NFL offseason schedule, but a real TV event.

Not now...not when a large portion of their previous Draft viewers (like myself) aren't going to be able to watch...because Day One of the Draft is on a freakin' THURSDAY! Most people are just gonna say screw it and catch up later on either ESPN or their Tivos.

What...do they think all of America gets off work at 5 pm, so it's all good?

Boo on you, NFL.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:

Seriously, there is no way I am going to drive to the Cities just to watch the draft at a f-ing sports bar. I can do that here.
    I was looking forward to see your reactions to this, since you had already announced that you'd probably have a strong opinion on this.

Of course there'll be autograph signings, but I see the point that this will never be like the draftparties of the past years.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Blog Entries

cogitans wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:

I was looking forward to see your reactions to this, since you had already announced that you'd probably have a strong opinion on this.

Of course there'll be autograph signings, but I see the point that this will never be like the draftparties of the past years.
    I honestly don't understand why they couldn't still do it at Winter Park. The NFL f-ed up the draft format with this stupid Thursday night bullshit, but the Vikings didn't need to compound it by breaking up the party into 12 smaller, completely open to the public, parties.

I didn't go to previous draft parties for the autograph signings. Those were an added benefit, to be sure. But I went to be a part of something, even if only as a spectator.

Hell, I could have watched the divisional game from the comfort of my home or at a sports bar last year. But I didn't. I went to the dome to see it in person - to be a part of the experience. The same applied to the draft parties. Watching from a sports bar is not the same as watching from the headquarters of the Minnesota Vikings. I enjoyed the privilege of being at the same location as the Vikings brain trust who made the decisions. I know that the tickets were open to the public, but people who bought the tickets were fanatics, like you and I. Now half of the people at the "draft parties" are simply going to be people who had nothing better to do on a Thursday night. I enjoyed being part of the throng of super fanatics like myself when the pick was announced. I enjoyed hearing from Childress or Spielman after the pick was made. You simply won't get the same experience from Jimmy's.

The Vikings have made a mistake with this year's draft party. Their slogan has been "You made the team!" They stressed that the fans were an integral part of the franchise. I believed that they put a high priority on fan experience. Well, I don't really feel like a part of the team watching it from a smattering of sports bars around the Twin Cities. And there have been upwards of 2 to 3 thousand people at previous draft parties at Winter Park. Do the Vikings really think that they will see as much turnout at their "official" sports bar parties. There is no way 200+ people will be at each location. Instead of opening the parties up to a larger audience, they basically guaranteed that fewer people will participate in the "official" regard, and there will simply be more, smaller, private draft parties over Vikings nation. Or people will watch it from home. Or they won't care at all.

I don't think that the Vikings thought this one through very well.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

NodakPaul wrote:
    cogitans wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:

I honestly don't understand why they couldn't still do it at Winter Park. The NFL f-ed up the draft format with this stupid Thursday night bullshit, but the Vikings didn't need to compound it by breaking up the party into 12 smaller, completely open to the public, parties.

I didn't go to previous draft parties for the autograph signings. Those were an added benefit, to be sure. But I went to be a part of something, even if only as a spectator.

Hell, I could have watched the divisional game from the comfort of my home or at a sports bar last year. But I didn't. I went to the dome to see it in person - to be a part of the experience. The same applied to the draft parties. Watching from a sports bar is not the same as watching from the headquarters of the Minnesota Vikings. I enjoyed the privilege of being at the same location as the Vikings brain trust who made the decisions. I know that the tickets were open to the public, but people who bought the tickets were fanatics, like you and I. Now half of the people at the "draft parties" are simply going to be people who had nothing better to do on a Thursday night. I enjoyed being part of the throng of super fanatics like myself when the pick was announced. I enjoyed hearing from Childress or Spielman after the pick was made. You simply won't get the same experience from Jimmy's.

The Vikings have made a mistake with this year's draft party. Their slogan has been "You made the team!" They stressed that the fans were an integral part of the franchise. I believed that they put a high priority on fan experience. Well, I don't really feel like a part of the team watching it from a smattering of sports bars around the Twin Cities. And there have been upwards of 2 to 3 thousand people at previous draft parties at Winter Park. Do the Vikings really think that they will see as much turnout at their "official" sports bar parties. There is no way 200+ people will be at each location. Instead of opening the parties up to a larger audience, they basically guaranteed that fewer people will participate in the "official" regard, and there will simply be more, smaller, private draft parties over Vikings nation. Or people will watch it from home. Or they won't care at all.

I don't think that the Vikings thought this one through very well.
    I feel with you and your frustration.

Obviously I wouldn't be going either way, but I can see how you guys a little closer got robbed of a great event.

If I think about this rationally, my firm believe is that this is the Vikings trying to mix things up - for the benefit of their fans - in liu of the new condtions of the draft.

However I think that your final point rings through, they haven't thought it over fully. I encourage you to post that letter/e-mail that you plan to the organisation.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.