Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

2010 NFL Team Needs: NFC North

Minnesota Vikings: OG, S, CB depth, QB, LB depth, DL depth

The Vikings are so close to having one of the league’s very elite offenses and the inconsistencies over the last several weeks all stem from the offensive line as a whole. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie has been part of that problem, whose benching in Week 15 vs. Carolina was overshadowed by the Brett Favre vs. Brad Childress fiasco. The tricky part in replacing McKinnie at LT comes with his contract where he’s owed $4 million per season for the next couple years, a reasonable amount and good value at the position for an above average player. Regardless of salary, Anthony Herrera is the weakest link on the line at right guard, especially in run-blocking, a growing area of concern over the last few weeks. From Week 11 to 16, Peterson has failed to average more than 3.9 yards per carry in any game. Getting the offensive line to click will be a big issue if the Vikings want to succeed in the playoffs and become more consistent next year. They’ll also have to solve their quarterback situation if Favre decides to retire. Tarvaris Jackson has shown some promise in limited time, but will become an Unrestricted FA. On defense, the Vikings have made countless investments into the safety position, but still found minimal success. Madieu Williams should be replaced at free safety with someone who excels in coverage. Antoine Winfield will be 33 at the start of next season and has had a pair of poor games after returning from his foot injury. The team should use this offseason to acquire depth at the position. The starting front 7 has been superb for the Vikings, but could always use more depth within each of those units, even though it has been one of the team’s strengths.

2010 NFL Team Needs: NFC North
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:2010 NFL Team Needs: NFC North

Nice write up.

It's a shame that there, most likely, won't be a good safety available when you pick in the first round.

For the Packers' sake, I hope you stay away from Rolle. I'd love to have him and don't want to play him twice a season.

I think that DB will be the only position that you'll fix directly. Iutapi is very rough. If you can get your hand on a good CB or a falling S in the first round, that defense becomes even scarrier than it already is.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Italian Stallion is offline Waterboy

I think it's safe to say that QB is our biggest need if Favre retires. I think if next year is uncapped Tarvaris Jackson will be a RESTRICTED free agent, so that gives us some flexibility in retaining him.

It will be interesting to see if we re-sign Ray Edwards or if he tests the market.

I agree Safety was probably the weakest position on our team last year. Madieu took a step back and Tyrell Johnson did not look comfortable at all (and was outplayed by Jamarca Sanford almost all the time). CB depth is huge too with Winfield's injuries piling on the past couple seasons and Cedric recovering from a ACL tear.

O-line depth is always useful and important, as I agree that they really struggled with run blocking last season (part of that I'm sure is due to 2 first time starters on the O-line).

1. QB (should be adressed early in the draft regardless of what Lord Favre decides to do)

2. Safety/CB

3. OG (and a future replacement for McKinnie would give the Vikings some flexibility)

4. DT (Pat Williams was not as dominating this season against the run and is on the decline. Jimmy kennedy played well, but I wouldn't rely on him)
    None

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Italian Stallion wrote:
    I think it's safe to say that QB is our biggest need if Favre retires. I think if next year is uncapped Tarvaris Jackson will be a RESTRICTED free agent, so that gives us some flexibility in retaining him.

It will be interesting to see if we re-sign Ray Edwards or if he tests the market.

I agree Safety was probably the weakest position on our team last year. Madieu took a step back and Tyrell Johnson did not look comfortable at all (and was outplayed by Jamarca Sanford almost all the time). CB depth is huge too with Winfield's injuries piling on the past couple seasons and Cedric recovering from a ACL tear.

O-line depth is always useful and important, as I agree that they really struggled with run blocking last season (part of that I'm sure is due to 2 first time starters on the O-line).

1. QB (should be adressed early in the draft regardless of what Lord Favre decides to do)

2. Safety/CB

3. OG (and a future replacement for McKinnie would give the Vikings some flexibility)

4. DT (Pat Williams was not as dominating this season against the run and is on the decline. Jimmy kennedy played well, but I wouldn't rely on him)
    Great post, but I thought Tyrell Johnson played decently in the playoffs. Sanford did play better while in during the regular season though.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I'm not sure what happened to our run blocking...Herrera was fine the year before...? Birk is who we're missing. Loadholt seems to be a pretty obvious upgrade. That Iutupi guy sounds intrigueing, but to me, picking a RG in the 1st round would be a bit excessive. We could probably find an UDFA or late round pick to develop. And, I'm seeing him going to DAL before us in a lot of mocks.

The defense we have held the best offense in the league to 260 total yards...with OT! Resign our guys, add top end CB depth to protect us against lingering injury issues, and draft more DT depth is my plan.

Griff's knee and Winfield's foot make me think CB is our No.1 need! Sapp is a UFA. If we don't keep him, we need multiple pickups at CB! IF Pat retires? DT is pretty much another No.1! My general plan would be, Improve coverage so our DL can get even more sacks!! And dominate the league so that the NFCC is at our house next year!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I don't think QB is the big need most do. I actually feel pretty good about the Sagevaris combo! I'm guessing that they both learned a thing or two from the Favre. And I'm betting our WRs are better than they were 2 years ago no matter who our QB is.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot