Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:2010 NFL Team Needs

Initial thoughts on the first 10/11 teams. Of course, what happens in FA will mess most of these ideas up.

1 St. Louis Rams QB, DE, DT, OG, CB, WR
    Total Offense - 29
    Total Defense - 29
    Free Agents Victor Adeyanju, DE; Oshiomogho Atogwe, S; Alex Barron, T; Sam Gado, RB; Gary Gibson, DT; Ruvell Martin, WR; Mark Setterstrom, G.
    One would think the Rams would go for a Franchise QB here, but Suh fits a need and is probably a sure thing. There are some rumors out there that I found that allude to Clausen being the real pick but I think that might be just smoke and mirrors.

2 Detroit Lions DT, CB, DE, LT, OG, WR, OL depth
    Total Offense - 26
    Total Defense - 32
    Free Agents Daniel Bullocks, S; Dylan Gandy, c; Jason Hunter, DE; Adam Jennings, WR; Daniel Loper, G; Ko Simpson, S; Cody Spencer, LB.
    They could go alot of ways here based on thier statistics, however, I really think they will look to solidify thier OL and protect thier "Franchise QB". If Suh slips here, they will be hard pressed not to take him, my guess is that Okung will get a solid look but if they decide to go Defense, and Suh isn't there, McCoy could be the other target.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT, DE, WR, CB, S, OL depth
    Total Offense - 28
    Total Defense - 27
    Free Agents Mark Bradley, WR; Brian Clark, WR; Matt McCoy, LB; Donald Penn, T; Barrett Ruud, LB; Maurice Stovall, WR; Jeremy Trueblood, T; Carnell Williams, RB; Rod Wilson, LB.
    Alot of mocks have either McCoy or Berry going here. Both would be a smart pick and would instantly upgrade that defense.

4. Washington Redskins: OT, QB, SLB, RB, OG, C
    Total Offense - 22
    Total Defense - 10
    Free Agents Jason Campbell, QB; Reed Doughty, S; Kedric Golston, DT; Rocky McIntosh, LB; Anthony Montgomery, DT; Will Montgomery, C; Carlos Rogers, CB.
    Even though most believe that the OL is the biggest need for the Deadskins, Shanahan still will opt to go QB and take Bradford or Clausen here regardless of what happens with Campbell.

5. Kansas City Chiefs: OT, OG, 3-4 OLB, WR, 3-4 NT, C, S
    Total Offense - 25
    Total Defense - 30
    Free Agents Brodie Croyle, QB; Derrick Johnson, LB; Corey Mays, LB; Rudy Niswanger, C; Ryan O'Callaghan, T; Jarrad Page, S.
    My guess is that the two players they covet (Suh/Okung) will be gone, so they take BPA here and that will probably be the best S on the board because there isn't anyone else of value here that can address thier OL/DL issues. Berry will be to hard to resist and will be a instant upgrade.

6. Seattle Seahawks: LT, OG, QB, RB, S, DL
    Total Offense - 21
    Total Defense - 24
    Free Agents Lance Laury, LB; Jon Ryan, P; Rob Sims, G; Chris Spencer, C; Darryl Tapp, DE.
    Seattle has alot of issues but they also have some time to address all of them. If Clausen is here, Carrol will take him and work on the OL and DL through the rest of the draft or possibly FA.

7. Cleveland Browns: RT, 3-4 DE, ILB, WR, S, TE
    Total Offense - 32
    Total Defense - 31
    Free Agents Abram Elam, S; Arnold Harrison, LB; Jerome Harrison, RB; D'Qwell Jackson, LB; Brodney Pool, S; Matt Roth, LB; Lawrence Vickers, FB.
    What will Holmgren do? Will he stick with the QB's he has? With both Bradford and Clausen likely off the board, he will probably take BPA here. Spikes LB and Hayden CB seem to be the early consensus pick throughout most drafts.

8. Oakland Raiders: 4-3 NT, OT, RG, CB, LB, QB
    Total Offense - 31
    Total Defense - 26
    Free Agents Jon Alston, LB; Khalif Barnes, T; Ricky Brown, LB; Charlie Frye, QB; Thomas Howard, LB; Kirk Morrison, LB; Stanford Routt, CB.
    Ole Crazy Al is likely to do anything here. My guess is he will continue to force Russell on his coaching staff and look to improve the OL with Campbell who is a monster at 6'6". Of course, what happens with Seymour and Ellis will also play a part here. Alot of mocks have him taking DE Carlos Dunlap.

9. Buffalo Bills: QB, LT, DT, OLB, WR, OL depth
    Total Offense - 30
    Total Defense - 19
    Free Agents Keith Ellison, LB; Gibran Hamdan, QB; Richie Incognito, G; Joe Klopfenstein, TE; George Wilson, S; Ashton Youboty, CB.
    Defensive rank isn't bad so maybe the Vick rumors true? Most mocks that don't have Clausen going early have him as a fit here. OT Anthony Davis also shows up alot and tracks with what I've read on thier team needs.

10/11. Denver Broncos: 3-4 DE, C, 3-4 NT, OG, 3-4 ILB, CB
    Total Offense
    Total Defense - 7
    Free Agents Elvis Dumervil, LB; Chris Kuper, G; Brandon Marshall, WR; Kyle Orton, QB; Tony Scheffler, TE; Le Kevin Smith, DE.
    It seems that Marshall will finally get his wish and get out of Dodge. WR seems to be the most common pick with Dez Bryant as the guy.

If they go that way, they better resign Elvis, so he doesn't leave the building either.

10/11. Jacksonville Jaguars: DE, OG, S, DT, C, WR
    Total Offense - 18
    Total Defense - 23
    Free Agents Clint Ingram, LB; Montavious Stanley, DT; Troy Williamson, WR.
    To Tebow or not to Tebow, that is the big question being discusson on most Jags fan sites. Most of the more reputable mock sites I like have them taking a DE (Jason Pierre-Paul or Derrick Morgan) are the most common.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12. Miami Dolphins: 3-4 NT, 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, WR, S, OL Depth
    Total Offense - 17
    Total Defense - 22
    Free Agents Ronnie Brown, RB; Anthony Fasano, TE.
    If a Dez slips they will snatch him in a minute but I don't think he gets this far judging by the scouting reports I've read on him. Instead, look for the Phins to shore up the middle by either taking McClain, LB or Dan Williams, DT.
    My guess is Williams will be the guy here as he is the early fit in most mocks.

13. San Francisco 49ers: S, OT, CB, OG, DE/OLB, 3-4 NT
    Total Offense - 27
    Total Defense - 15
    Free Agents David Baas, G; Ahmad Brooks, LB; Marcus Hudson, CB.
    Do they grab a guy like Anthony Davis as a immediate fix for thier RT issues or do they take McClain here if available. CB and S could also be an option here but I think there is better value for them in that area with thier next first round pick.

14. Seattle Seahawks: LT, OG, QB, RB, S, DL
    Total Offense - 21
    Total Defense - 24
    Free Agents Lance Laury, LB; Jon Ryan, P; Rob Sims, G; Chris Spencer, C; Darryl Tapp, DE.
    If they go with Clausen (or Bradford) early they will take the best OT on the board. Most mocks have Charles Brown available here.

15. New York Giants: DT, S, OT, MLB, CB depth, C
    Total Offense - 8
    Total Defense - 13
    Free Agents Chase Blackburn, LB; Kevin Boothe, G; C.C. Brown, S; Barry Cofield, DT; Kevin Dockery, CB; Derek Hagan, WR; Sinorice Moss, WR; Guy Whimper, T; Gerris Wilkinson, LB.
    Most fans sites want them to go with CJ Spiller here if he is available. I don't think that will happen. Issues on Defense this year caused them to slip to 13 which will drive them to take the best DT here.

Almost every scout says that Brian Price is a perfect fit for what the Giants try to do on Defense.

16/17. San Francisco 49ers: S, OT, CB, OG, DE/OLB, 3-4 NT
    Total Offense
    Total Defense - 15
    Free Agents David Baas, G; Ahmad Brooks, LB; Marcus Hudson, CB.
    After fixing thier RT issues with thier first pick, they will look at the best CB or S available on the board. Value boards list a cat named Earl Thomas (S) and Donavan Warren (CB) as picks that are projected to go here.

16/17. Tennessee Titans: DE, CB, OG, OLB, WR, OL depth
    Total Offense - 12
    Total Defense - 28
    Free Agents Dave Ball, DE; Tony Brown, DT; Bo Scaife, TE; Stephen Tulloch, LB; Kevin Vickerson, DT; LenDale White, RB.
    Some contend that CB is what they need but I think they are happy with what thier current crop did this year and will look to fix thier inablility to pressure the QB. A DE named Dunlap shows up in most mocks but it appears there might be something related to a DUI that might cause him to slip a bit more.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: CB, OT, FS, OG, 3-4 NT, 3-4 ILB
    Total Offense - 7
    Total Defense - 5
    Free Agents Willie Colon, T.
    Is it the OL that causes Big Ben to get hit so much or is it because he holds the ball to long. I suspect that they will opt to upgrade/improve thier OL. Bryan Bulaga and Charles Brown are the two names that show up in most mocks right now.

19/20. Atlanta Falcons: CB, DE, OLB, WR/TE, OL depth, DT depth
    Total Offense - 16
    Total Defense - 21
    Free Agents Tyson Clabo, T; Harvey Dahl, G; Jamaal Fudge, S; Michael Koenen, P; Jerious Norwood, RB; Quinn Ojinnaka, G; Charlie Peprah, S.
    Thier offense seems to be coming along nicely with the addition of a nice TE for Ryan to throw to, however, he is a bid on the old side. I think they will look to get someone in as a project, but not in the first round.

Defense seems to be the are of most concern by most of thier fans/media types and CB seems to be the position most want upgraded. I don't know enough about any of the CB that are left here, but it doesn't appear to be any value. A few mocks have them looking at a DE here which provides value.

19/20. Houston Texans: OG, CB, 4-3 NT, FS, DE depth, RB
    Total Offense - 4
    Total Defense - 13
    Free Agents John Busing, S; Rashad Butler, T; Owen Daniels, TE; Ryan Moats, RB; Bernard Pollard, S; DeMeco Ryans, LB; Chris White, C.
    When you really look at this team, you can't figure out why they can't get to the next level.

I am looking for them to try to shore up thier defense by taking a guy like Brian Price, DT who along with Okoye should fix thier run defense and allow them to do the things they want to do on the backside with thier secondary.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: OG, S, TE, WR, DT, SLB
    Total Offense - 24
    Total Defense - 4
    Free Agents Abdul Hodge, LB; Rashad Jeanty, LB; Brandon Johnson, LB; Evan Mathis, G; Frostee Rucker, DE.
    Well if TO shows up they won't take a WR here. If he doesn't, look for them to look at the BWRA here. My guess is that is why they brought in the Coke sniffing FA to add some speed here.

Some Bengals fans say they also need to upgrade thier pass rush and Brandon Graham, (DE) seems to the most mentioned name of late.

22. New England Patriots: 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE, OG, ILB depth, TE, WR depth
    Total Offense - 3
    Total Defense - 11
    Free Agents Stephen Gostkowski, K; Logan Mankins, G; Pierre Woods, LB.
    I think they look to fix thier OLB/Pass rush issues here. Alot of draftnicks agree but I can't find a guy who gets mentioned more than 2 times in all the mocks.

Value board has Dunlap (if still available) and Jerry Huges as possible options.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

24. Philadelphia Eagles: DE, FS, OG, CB depth, OLB, RB depth
    Total Offense - 11
    Total Defense - 12
    Free Agents Jason Avant, WR; Nick Cole, C; Omar Gaither, LB; Chris Gocong, LB; Ellis Hobbs, CB; Max Jean-Gilles, G; Alex Smith, TE; Leonard Weaver, FB
    DE/OLB tweener kindof guy appears to be the sexy choice here. Regardless, I am more interested in what they do with thier QB's this year.

25. Baltimore Ravens: WR, CB, DE/OLB, TE, DL depth
    Total Offense - 13
    Total Defense - 3
    Free Agents Chris Chester, G; Mark Clayton, WR; Billy Cundiff, K; Sam Koch, P; Dawan Landry, S; Tony Moll, T; Quinn Sypniewski, TE; Adam Terry, T; Fabian Washington, CB; Demetrius Williams, WR.
    TE and WR seems to be the most talked about position by the fan sites/media hacks. Based on thier team rankings I think that might be the case especially since they brought Mason back last year

26. Arizona: LT, ILB, OLB, OL depth, CB, TE
    Total Offense - 14
    Total Defense - 20
    Free Agents Hamza Abdullah, S; Justin Green, FB; Deuce Lutui, G; Mike Nugent, K; Jerheme Urban, WR; Gabe Watson, DT
    Is Matt the guy? I think he is or the staff wouldn't have kept him around this long.
    A T to protect Lienart would be ideal, but they have bigger issues at LB. Dansby is a free agent, Haggans, Okaefor and Berry are all getting up there so my guess is that they go with the best LB here.

27. Dallas Cowboys: OT, FS, ILB, DE, CB depth, OG depth
    Total Offense - 2
    Total Defense - 9
    Free Agents Miles Austin, WR; Stephen Bowen, DE; Cletis Gordon, CB; Jason Hatcher, DE; Sam Hurd, WR; Pat McQuistan, T; Duke Preston, C; Cory Procter, G; Gerald Sensabaugh, S; Marcus Spears, DE; Pat Watkins, S; Shaun Suisham, K.

Awwww, what do the Cowgirls do? What they do with Procter and Holland will go along way in determining what they will do to shore up thier OL.

Most drafts have them taking a G named Mike Iupati with a few having them taking a S here.

28. San Diego Chargers: RB, RT, 3-4 NT, CB, 3-4 DE, LB depth
    Total Offense - 10
    Total Defense - 16
    Free Agents Tim Dobbins, LB; Malcom Floyd, WR; Antonio Garay, DT; Eric Ghiaciuc, C; Marques Harris, LB; Vincent Jackson, WR; Travis Johnson, DE; Marcus McNeill, T; Shawne Merriman, LB; Darren Sproles, RB; Charlie Whitehurst, QB.
    Defense seems to be the most talked about area with DL help being the most talked about followed by LB and yes, RB on the offensive side fo the ball.

With Williams likely gone by now, Cody, (damn he's big) gets alot of mentions in mocks even though he only appears to be a 2 down DT.

29. New York Jets: 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, OG, CB, WR depth, 3-4 NT
    Total Offense - 20
    Total Defense - 1
    Free Agents Kellen Clemens, QB; Drew Coleman, CB; Braylon Edwards, WR; Howard Green, DT; Wayne Hunter, T; Brad Smith, WR; Eric Smith, S; Leon Washington, RB.
    Most of the press with this team is about how big of a bust Vernon has been. I also have seen some stuff about them overhauling thier secondary. Not sure why, considering how well thier defense played.

My guess is they will try to resign Edwards, and if they can't they might go ahead and take the best WR here. Heck, they might regardless of what happens with Edwards.

30. Minnesota Vikings: OG, S, CB depth, QB, LB depth, DL depth
    Total Offense - 5
    Total Defense - 6
    Free Agents Ryan Cook, T; Ray Edwards, DE; Fred Evans, DT; Tarvaris Jackson, QB; Karl Paymah, CB; Naufahu Tahi, FB.
    If it isn't a QB, its a DT, LB, or a CB that gets the most mentions in the mocks I've looked at, namely:

Brian Price/Dan Williams/Terrence Cody
    Patrick Robinson/Donavan Warren
    Sean Witherspoon/Navarro Bowman

I think this staff could go any way here to include a G.

31. Indianapolis Colts: DT, OT, CB, OG, DE depth, LB depth
    Total Offense - 9
    Total Defense - 18
    Free Agents Hank Baskett, WR; Antoine Bethea, S; Aaron Francisco, S; Tyjuan Hagler, LB; Marlin Jackson, CB; Tim Jennings, CB; Charlie Johnson, T; Freddy Keiaho, LB; T.J. Rushing, CB.
    Some have them picking a G here. Others have them looking at a DE based on what might happen with Freeney next year.

I think the will look at CB here because the injury to Martin Jackson appears to be for the whole season.

32. New Orleans Saints: OLB, NT, DE, C, OT depth, TE depth
    Total Offense - 1
    Total Defense - 25
    "Free Agents Mike Bell, RB; Jammal Brown, T; Jahri Evans, G; Tony Hargrove, DT; Roman Harper, S; Herana-Daze Jones, S; Lance Moore, WR; Courtney Roby, WR; Zach Strief, T; David Thomas, TE; Leigh Torrence, CB.
    Offense seems to be set so I think they try to shore up that defense a bit. This would be a good fit for Cody if he falls that far.

Teams without first round Picks
    Chicago Bears: OG, OT, DT, S, WR, DE, CB
    Total Offense - 23
    Total Defense - 17
    Free Agents Mark Anderson, DE; Josh Bullocks, S; Dusty Dvoracek, DT; Danieal Manning, S; Jamar Williams, LB.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry, couldn't resist.

So much to fix here. Orlando Pace was a bust (so much for big name proven players) which most of us said he was or else he wouldn't have been released to begin with. Williams back issues might not support him moving to LT.

Defense is getting older and not better.

In the end, they brought Martz in to fix the Offense. They will use all of thier picks they have to do that.

Carolina Panthers: WR, DT, OL depth, OLB, QB, DE depth
    Total Offense - 19
    Total Defense - 8
    Free Agents James Anderson, LB; Thomas Davis, LB; Jeff King, TE; Richard Marshall, CB; Rob Petitti, T.
    I think they've found thier future QB but they need to get him an additional WR to throw to, however, Peppers is gonna go elsewhere so them will probably address defense with thier first pick.

No PUKER fans. I didn't forget your team. I left them for last so that you guys can tell me what they are gonna do....

Here is the format I use in my spreadsheet.....

23. Green Bay Packers: LT, CB, S, DL, 3-4 OLB depth, RB
    Total Offense 6
    Total Defense - 2
    Free Agents Atari Bigby, S; Will Blackmon, CB; Daryn Colledge, G; Nick Collins, S; Johnny Jolly, DE; John Kuhn, FB; Derrick Martin, S; Jason Spitz, C.
    Any smart PUKER probably knows that they need to work on thier LB'rs as well as thier OL. Some depth in the secondary wouldn't hurt either.

Ted Thompson's our GM. We have absolutely no idea what we're going to do. Lol.

I agree with what you wrote down, mostly. OT is going to be the popular pick.

I only think that we have to come away with a potential starter at OLB, as well. Kampman shouldn't be back. Brad Jones is ok, but he's losing time after time again at the point of attack against quality RTs. We have Jeremy Thompson behind him, but the kid has been a question mark this year, after a very dissapointing rookie campaign. Poppinga's a very average pass rusher. I wouldn't mind us going DE/OLB in the first round, at all.

Secondly, there's one thing missing, if you ask me. I don't know how other Packer fans think about this one, but I wouldn't mind a good ILB. Not a full time starter, but a cover guy. We have just one ILB who's quite good in coverage and that's Chillar. The beating we took over the middle wasn't entirely on the safeties, Hawk and Barnett had just as much to do with that.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Free Agency Preview - The Quarterbacks

In a year where no CBA threatens to harm the bank accounts of many young NFL players, Pro Football Focus breaks down the positions to look at the guys likely to hit Free Agency and make a buck for themselves, starting with a rather underwhelming group of Quarterbacks.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Not that we need a receiver, but still an interesting look at the criteria used to evaluate the wide receiver position.

How we evaluate the wide receiver position
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Rockmolder wrote:
    Ted Thompson's our GM. We have absolutely no idea what we're going to do. Lol.

I agree with what you wrote down, mostly. OT is going to be the popular pick.

I only think that we have to come away with a potential starter at OLB, as well. Kampman shouldn't be back. Brad Jones is ok, but he's losing time after time again at the point of attack against quality RTs. We have Jeremy Thompson behind him, but the kid has been a question mark this year, after a very dissapointing rookie campaign. Poppinga's a very average pass rusher. I wouldn't mind us going DE/OLB in the first round, at all.

Secondly, there's one thing missing, if you ask me. I don't know how other Packer fans think about this one, but I wouldn't mind a good ILB. Not a full time starter, but a cover guy. We have just one ILB who's quite good in coverage and that's Chillar. The beating we took over the middle wasn't entirely on the safeties, Hawk and Barnett had just as much to do with that.
    Hmmmm, interesting point on the ILB. Is Hawk gonna be considered a bust if he stays in this scheme?

VikingMike wrote:
    Not that we need a receiver, but still an interesting look at the criteria used to evaluate the wide receiver position.

How we evaluate the wide receiver position
    Thanks for the link my friend. Good stuff.

Maybe we might be looking for a reciever this year Mike. Think about it for a second....

a. We carried an extra WR this year.
    b. BB hasn't stayed healthy since we got him.
    c. His Yds Per Catch avg slipped signifanctly this year.

Did we carry that extra WR as a means to get a look at JJ as a possible replacement? Or did we just carry him cause of the injuries?

It seems you can cut players from your roster and not suffer any significant hit to your pocket book this year. Are they gonna go ahead and let him go? Are they thinking about trading him?

Again, pure speculation on my part, but it would be very interesting to see what happens if a cat like Damian Williams or Brandon LaFell are sitting there when we pick especially when you consider that all the first round projected CB's, OT's and DT's will be gone.

Would you then trade BB in the second round of FA and go with the a roster that looks like.....

El Syd
    PH
    DR
    JJ
    Williams/Lafell

Even if they do keep BB, you could then have a lineup like....

BB
    El Syd
    PH
    DR
    Williams/Lafell

I bet the Noodle would be slavitating like a Bulldog with targets like that out there.

VikingMike wrote:
    Free Agency Preview - The Quarterbacks

In a year where no CBA threatens to harm the bank accounts of many young NFL players, Pro Football Focus breaks down the positions to look at the guys likely to hit Free Agency and make a buck for themselves, starting with a rather underwhelming group of Quarterbacks.
    Thanks for the read my friend......

Found this kindof interesting......
    Truth be told good Quarterbacks very rarely hit the Free Agency market, and this year is no different.
    Unless of course your the PUKERS and Jets....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast