Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

2010 NFL Team Needs

Again, snow has me couped up this weekend so I am working on some offseason projects. Started looking at the draft order/team picks as well as everyones needs going into the offseason, in no particular order. I will rank them later (after I get comments/read some more) and then address those needs in my mock draft later..

Having said that, here is what I think are the needs of each team. Comments are highly encouraged.

Green Bay Packers: LT, CB, S, DL, 3-4 OLB depth, RB
    Detroit Lions: DT, CB, DE, LT, OG, WR, OL depth
    Chicago Bears: OG, OT, DT, S, WR, DE, CB

Buffalo Bills: QB, LT, DT, OLB, WR, OL depth
    Miami Dolphins: 3-4 NT, 3-4 OLB, 3-4 ILB, WR, S, OL Depth
    New England Patriots: 3-4 OLB, 3-4 DE, OG, ILB depth, TE, WR depth
    New York Jets: 3-4 DE, 3-4 OLB, OG, CB, WR depth, 3-4 NT

Baltimore Ravens: WR, CB, DE/OLB, TE, DL depth
    Cincinnati Bengals: OG, S, TE, WR, DT, SLB
    Cleveland Browns: RT, 3-4 DE, ILB, WR, S, TE
    Pittsburgh Steelers: CB, OT, FS, OG, 3-4 NT, 3-4 ILB

Houston Texans: OG, CB, 4-3 NT, FS, DE depth, RB
    Indianapolis Colts: DT, OT, CB, OG, DE depth, LB depth
    Jacksonville Jaguars: DE, OG, S, DT, C, WR
    Tennessee Titans: DE, CB, OG, OLB, WR, OL depth

Denver Broncos: 3-4 DE, C, 3-4 NT, OG, 3-4 ILB, CB
    Kansas City Chiefs: OT, OG, 3-4 OLB, WR, 3-4 NT, C, S
    Oakland Raiders: 4-3 NT, OT, RG, CB, LB, QB
    San Diego Chargers: RB, RT, 3-4 NT, CB, 3-4 DE, LB depth

Dallas Cowboys: OT, FS, ILB, DE, CB depth, OG depth
    New York Giants: DT, S, OT, MLB, CB depth, C
    Philadelphia Eagles: DE, FS, OG, CB depth, OLB, RB depth
    Washington Redskins: OT, QB, SLB, RB, OG, C

Atlanta Falcons: CB, DE, OLB, WR/TE, OL depth, DT depth
    Carolina Panthers: WR, DT, OL depth, OLB, QB, DE depth
    New Orleans Saints: OLB, NT, DE, C, OT depth, TE depth
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers: DT, DE, WR, CB, S, OL depth

Arizona Cardinals: LT, ILB, OLB, OL depth, CB, TE
    St. Louis Rams: QB, DE, DT, OG, CB, WR
    San Francisco 49ers: S, OT, CB, OG, DE/OLB, 3-4 NT
    Seattle Seahawks: LT, OG, QB, RB, S, DL

Specific thoughts on the Vikes mentality going into the offseason:

a. How will this "Uncapped" year impact our UFA/RFA's and the roster spots they hold?
    b. How much money will the "Ownership" spend this year and will the FO pukes and Coaching staff elect to spread that out or target just one or two FA to fill holes that they won't be able to fix in the draft.
    c. How will the "Uncapped" year be handled by FO's. Will there be alot of "Trading" of players?
    d. How much "Ownership" will Ole Rickey boy put on the 2006 draft class. Will he opt to let them go and use the draft to replace them, or will he opt to resign them.
    e. How much of a say will the Coaching Staff have with respect to resigning players. (See item b)

Specific thoughts on the players with Contract/Injury issues:

TJ (QB's) - Look, I've accepted it, the rest of you might as well accept it and then just ignore all the "Retirement" stuff that comes with our little Drama Queen (aka the Noodle). He is coming back for at least one more year. Lets look at whats gonna happen behind him.

TJ. I still think the Coaches want him as well as the Scouting staff who found him. Spielman will be the Wildcard here. See item d.

Draft. How much do they like TJ. Do they have enough confidence in him to let Sage go? Do they have enough confidence in him to draft a QB in the later rounds instead of using picks to land one of the "FS guys" (See Items a through e with a emphasis on b and d)

Going up and making a big splash for a highly touted rookie would help in ticket sales and Ole Ricky Boy could finally put his stamp on that position after his Sage effort failed.

Cook/Hicks (Please take a OL in total) - Can they afford to not sign both of these to experienced backups if they are gonna get rid of Big Mac?

Then you have to look at Herrera and Hutch. Was Hutch just off this year or was it just injury. Herrera also had a off year. Is it because he isn't talented or possibly both gaurds were off because of what they were doing to cover Sully?

Mr. Hicks and Mr. Cook are two very servicable backups who have started at some point another.

Phat Pat (DL as a whole) - Is it worth bringing him back? His play is declining and he is talking retirement. Then you have to look at whats behind him (JK, Evans) and thier contract issues.

Will they give Ray his due?

MLB - Do they gamgle and hope EJ comes back 100%? If they do that will they be willing to let Jasper take over arguably the most important position on this defense based on its scheme. If they go with Jasper, will that drive them to bring in a Vet MLB to act as a backup/pos starter/mentor to Jasper instead of drafting another young cat?

CB - Got alot invested in this position and both of them are questionable going into next year. Will the ownership group authorize additional funds for a Vet (See item b).

Can Benny and Asher step up and fill the void if one or both of our starters can't come back.

Will someone steal our Secondary coach for a D-coord in the offseason. Just thought I would throw that in there cause I think this cat and his assitant are doing the best coaching job of the whole staff and I hadn't used a smileyyet. :cheer:

Anyway, those are some of the little thoughts that are swimming through my brain and is why I think the following are the teams needs. Order to be determined later. I need to see what happens with respect to signings and injury issues.:

RB Coach.

OG, DT, CB, QB, MLB

Comments/Thoughts/Recommendations.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:2010 NFL Team Needs

I'll leave the Vikings' needs etc. to the experts over here. Some things I was wondering about though...

LT as a need for the Lions. I know it might be a smoke screen, but their entire coaching staff has constantly praised Backus for doing a good job. Reportedly, they've gone as far as saying that he played on a "Pro Bowl level". On the other side they have Cherilus. They're not going to replace a pretty recent first rounder. They'll give him at least another year.

No CB for the Patriots. Butler looked pretty decent as a rookie, but that's it. Just decent. Then they have 6th year pro Leigh Bodden starting. For a starter, he's pretty bad. Opposite of him, they have Shawn Springs. He was a good player, but is pretty much over the hill right now. They have some young guys behind them, but nothing noteworthy. They should draft 1 CB in the 2nd round, maybe even 2.

I'd say that the Browns could use a CB, as well... But the Browns can pretty much use whatever is on the board on defense. They have to do something about that secondary, though. S/CB should be a need. At least one of them.

DT is a need for the Titans. They let their huge guy go and that entire line is in shambles. They have two undersized guys playing DT now, it pretty much looks like the Colts' front. They're going to need a good DT. 4-3 NT, preferably.

The Redskins could use a DE. They have their mind set on having Orakpo at OLB in most formations. They have absolutely no one at DE, though. Even if they want to go with a big, run stopping guy at LE, they're going to have ot draft one. Wynn and Daniels are awfully old. I wouldn't set my hopes too high on Jeremy Jarmon. He's a rotational player at best. They have to find someone at DE.

I'd be tempted to put down QB as a need for the Cards. Take the approach that we did when we went to Rodgers. The chance that Leinart hasn't taken leaps in this last year is very small. If he does indeed go down or just doesn't play well, they're stuck with St. Pierre. Not something I'd like as a team. I'd put them on there as QB depth, at least.

Lastly, the Seahawks. I'd add WR to that list. Houshmandzadeh is a good receiver, but not a nr. 1 receiver. He's a slot, possesion guy. Burleson hasn't gone over a 1000 yards since 2004 and has been plauged by injuries. His last year was, again, decent, but not great. Branch is a good receiver if you're looking for some depth, but not starting material. I wouldn't get my hopes up on Deon Butler just yet. He's raw, but a potential guy for the future. Someone who will blossom when all of these old guys leave town. They need another project/immediate starter, though. I can not see them passing on Golden Tate if he falls to their pick in the 2nd, for instance.

I just want to say that the Chiefs are idiots. They have a very good safety in Pollard and let them go. They have a physically gifted kid in Thigpen and trade for Cassel. They need an O-line to make Cassel look even decent and they pass on all OTs and go for a 3-4 DE. They deserve to lose.

Nice job, btw, Marrdro. I went a little overboard on the comments, but this draft and need stuff is quite interesting.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

You forgot the most important issue, Tahi sucks.

Leonard Weaver needs to be signed. Period.

Oh yeah, Cook still blows.

marstc09 wrote:
    You forgot the most important issue, Tahi sucks.

Leonard Weaver needs to be signed. Period.

Oh yeah, Cook still blows.
    LOL, how could I forget about our most under used position. :cheer:

Cook still blows as a starter, however, how much value does he bring as a backup? Started in the scheme for 3 years. Can play 3 of the 5 positions.

Does he deserve starter money? Heavens no, but I think they should atleast step out and make an offer to either him or Hicks as I think we are gonna have a change at LT.

I do like the idea of promoting Radovich to LT though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Rockmolder wrote:
    Nice job, btw, Marrdro. I went a little overboard on the comments, but this draft and need stuff is quite interesting.
    I don't think anyone can go overboard with what they are thinking in a thread like this.

In short, express away, express away. In the end it will help me with my mock.....

I'll leave the Vikings' needs etc. to the experts over here. Some things I was wondering about though...
    Didn't you know, there is an unwritten rule that PUKER fans can't comment on roster moves made by the Vikes my friend......

LT as a need for the Lions. I know it might be a smoke screen, but their entire coaching staff has constantly praised Backus for doing a good job. Reportedly, they've gone as far as saying that he played on a "Pro Bowl level". On the other side they have Cherilus. They're not going to replace a pretty recent first rounder. They'll give him at least another year.
    Most of the coaches have raved abotu Backus, but statistically (I can't remember that link I use at work) he has been very inconsistent. Maybe he can eventually iron out, but feel the staff might look to for depth there

No CB for the Patriots. Butler looked pretty decent as a rookie, but that's it. Just decent. Then they have 6th year pro Leigh Bodden starting. For a starter, he's pretty bad. Opposite of him, they have Shawn Springs. He was a good player, but is pretty much over the hill right now. They have some young guys behind them, but nothing noteworthy. They should draft 1 CB in the 2nd round, maybe even 2.
    Hmmmmm, never thought of looking at the secondary....Interesting. I kindof thought more along the lines that what they had was pretty good if you could improve what the front seven were doing. In the end, I kindof tracked that the loss of Seymour kindof caused that area to slip alittle.

I will do a bit more research on that one.

I'd say that the Browns could use a CB, as well... But the Browns can pretty much use whatever is on the board on defense. They have to do something about that secondary, though. S/CB should be a need. At least one of them.
    Another interesting way to look at it. I was mostly focused on how well Jackson played and how they could improve thier defense by putting someone else next to him that could help out, especially in stopping the run. Again, for me I like to solve that problem first and then look to the secondary.

DT is a need for the Titans. They let their huge guy go and that entire line is in shambles. They have two undersized guys playing DT now, it pretty much looks like the Colts' front. They're going to need a good DT. 4-3 NT, preferably.
    I actually thought they held up pretty good up the middle. What seemed to be thier issue during the games I got to check out this season, was thier lack of pressure on the QB.

If I remember they only had 2 guys that had lead the team with 5 or sacks.

The Redskins could use a DE. They have their mind set on having Orakpo at OLB in most formations. They have absolutely no one at DE, though. Even if they want to go with a big, run stopping guy at LE, they're going to have ot draft one. Wynn and Daniels are awfully old. I wouldn't set my hopes too high on Jeremy Jarmon. He's a rotational player at best. They have to find someone at DE.
    Its hard to say what the Deadskins are gonna do this year with the new regime.

If they do anything on defense, (I think that the defense is thier strength) they might look at S a bit. My guess is they will focus on either getting a QB or fixing the line to protect the QB they have.

I'd be tempted to put down QB as a need for the Cards. Take the approach that we did when we went to Rodgers. The chance that Leinart hasn't taken leaps in this last year is very small. If he does indeed go down or just doesn't play well, they're stuck with St. Pierre. Not something I'd like as a team. I'd put them on there as QB depth, at least.
    I hear ya at QB, but damn, you would hope that Leinart can live up to the hype eventually.

I think what to do at LB because of Dansby will be a bigger decision.

In the end, if they were worried about the QB position, one would wonder why they haven't addressed it before this year so the other cat would have a better chance of competing when Warner left.

Lastly, the Seahawks. I'd add WR to that list. Houshmandzadeh is a good receiver, but not a nr. 1 receiver. He's a slot, possesion guy. Burleson hasn't gone over a 1000 yards since 2004 and has been plauged by injuries. His last year was, again, decent, but not great. Branch is a good receiver if you're looking for some depth, but not starting material. I wouldn't get my hopes up on Deon Butler just yet. He's raw, but a potential guy for the future. Someone who will blossom when all of these old guys leave town. They need another project/immediate starter, though. I can not see them passing on Golden Tate if he falls to their pick in the 2nd, for instance.
    When you start to straighten a mess out like they have, you start from scratch and that means on the lines so I didn't really look to much at thier skilled positions when I took a look at them.

In the end, ole USC boy has a few years to get things going. Why not start right away by solidifying them as well as to get a young QB to learn the hard way (ala TJ) as they work the rebuilding process.

I just want to say that the Chiefs are idiots. They have a very good safety in Pollard and let them go. They have a physically gifted kid in Thigpen and trade for Cassel. They need an O-line to make Cassel look even decent and they pass on all OTs and go for a 3-4 DE. They deserve to lose.
    I kindof like what the Chiefs are trying to do. Problem is, thier OL sucks. No running game, can't protect the QB. Mix in a inexperienced QB and you will have a mess. Atleast for a year or two.

Again, great stuff my friend. Some good stuff I didn't think of.

I totally agree with you. The lines should always be the place where you start building. It's just that, at some points, positional value is overtaken by player value.

If Okung, Berry, Suh and McCoy are off the board, the Browns could easily go after Haden, regardless of their problems along the D-line and with their OLBs. A need's a need. Haden's just that good.

Same goes for the Seahawks, if you pick in the 2nd and you've invested in an OT and a DE, WR looks like an awfully big hole all of a sudden. Golden Tate, for instance, would be a great pick then. Or a RB, of course.

Like you said, you haven't ranked the needs yet per team, and I think that CB/WR will be pretty low with most of these teams, but I do think that it's a need.

And I hate what the Chiefs are doing. Horrible move on Cassel. Asuming you made that move, you need a good O-line, and you just ignore it all together. Another horrible move. Then you let one of your few good guys on your defense go in Pollard, which leaves you with nothing at safety. Horrible move. And all of that, while you have two great young players waiting to make the line-up in Jamaal Charles and Tyler Thigpen (who's as good as Cassel, but with a way higher ceiling, imo). That franchise is shooting itsself in the foot.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Rockmolder wrote:
    I totally agree with you. The lines should always be the place where you start building. It's just that, at some points, positional value is overtaken by player value.

If Okung, Berry, Suh and McCoy are off the board, the Browns could easily go after Haden, regardless of their problems along the D-line and with their OLBs. A need's a need. Haden's just that good.

Same goes for the Seahawks, if you pick in the 2nd and you've invested in an OT and a DE, WR looks like an awfully big hole all of a sudden. Golden Tate, for instance, would be a great pick then. Or a RB, of course.
    Oh I'm tracking with you. Not sure if you do a mock draft, but when I do mine, I try to go in with what I think is a priority for each team. That doesn't mean I will pick that position for them if a BPA scenario like you mention presents itself.

Like you said, you haven't ranked the needs yet per team, and I think that CB/WR will be pretty low with most of these teams, but I do think that it's a need.
    Based on what RB's have done since AD, coming out of the draft, I don't think many Vets will get nice fat contracts as I think teams feel comfortable with how to use the 2 back rotations now.

And I hate what the Chiefs are doing. Horrible move on Cassel. Asuming you made that move, you need a good O-line, and you just ignore it all together. Another horrible move. Then you let one of your few good guys on your defense go in Pollard, which leaves you with nothing at safety. Horrible move. And all of that, while you have two great young players waiting to make the line-up in Jamaal Charles and Tyler Thigpen (who's as good as Cassel, but with a way higher ceiling, imo). That franchise is shooting itsself in the foot.
    Its all timing. What you believe to be your francise QB can be got, you get him and then work the lines all the while letting him learn (ala Troy Aikmen).

I like CBS's format........Hope they updated it soon.

2010 Draft Team Needs

Another source that has a decent format and some good stuff in it although he hasn't gone over all the team needs yet.

2010 Draft Team Needs

From the Lions page.....

Urgent Needs:

Defensive Tackle: It might not be their biggest need, especially since Sammie Hill looked pretty good in his rookie year, but it is still a position the Lions need an upgrade in. With Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy in this year's NFL Draft, it would be a wise place to spend that second overall pick.

Offensive Tackle: The Lions desperately need a new left tackle and, if Gosder Cherilus doesn't improve soon, they'll likely need a right tackle as well. Unfortunately, Coach Schwartz is inexplicably high on Jeff Backus, so they might not make a move here.

Cornerback: The secondary, even with Delmas, was the weak link for the Lions this season. They could use at least two new cornerbacks, either via the Draft or free agency.
    Hey Molder, these guys think like me.....

Oh, I totally agree with you. If I where leading that team, I'd be seriously doubting whether I'd try to trade down just a spot or two to five so I could pick a good OT in Okung, Campbell or Davis or just go with Suh. I figure that you could get some team to pay bigtime for Suh.

Backus isn't a solution at LT. They're going to get Stafford killed this way. Worst case would be having Stafford knocked around and getting a second Harrington/Carr.

Problem is, I don't think that their FO looks at it that way. They like Backus. Said he was a Pro Bowl caliber player. Passing on Oher last year in favor of Pettigrew looked like a horrible move to me, as well, but it showed that they really trust Backus at LT. I think that, in the end, they're just going with Suh in the first. Then maybe a corner in the second and DE/S/WR in the 3rd. They're all justifiable picks and they're all giving Backus one more shot to prove himself.

In my eyes, it is a need. I guess that it's just the way you look at it. I think that you're right for putting it on your needs list. I just odn't think that the Lions see it the same way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast