Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

2010 Draft: The Ideal Quarterback For The Vikings

Minnesota Tradition: The Yearly Quarterback Discussion
    As a Vikings fan, the quarterback issue has become common every year around draft time since Culpepper's prime time. This thread is dedicated to exactly that: Who can the Vikings draft as potential franchise QB in 2010?

Lets forget about the draft order for a minute
    Which quarterback in the 2010 Draft is the perfect fit for a Vikings?
    Honestly, I'm not sure, but I want to make a case for a player that I feel have been a little lost in the QB discussion.
    I'm talking about Texas' Colt McCoy.
    It seems like most experts have entirely dismissed McCoy as a NFL caliber QB, but I think otherwise.

Colt McCoy's strengths:
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he is a good decision maker. He has a total of 112 TD passes compared to 45 interceptions.
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he has outstanding accuracy. In 2008, he set the NCAA's highest single season completion percentage with 77.6.
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he has good running skills for his position. He has better quickness and vision than people give him credit for. In 2008, he led the team with 561 yards rushing and 11 rushing touchdowns.
    - Colt McCoy runs faster than his 4.7 second 40 yard dash. Here's a good example!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpJjUAdkbo
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he is consistent. In each of his four seasons, he never had less than 26 touchdowns.
    - Colt McCoy has a very quick release and good mechanics.
    - Colt McCoy has a lot of experience as he has been the starting QB in all of his four seasons in college.
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he is a very intelligent player and he learned the Texas' system to perfection.
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he's a natural leader and a great teammate.
    - Colt McCoy has shown the motivation and drive to become the best as possible.
    - Colt McCoy has done a great job of representing the university of Texas both on and off the field. I've still not heard any negative talk about his character.
    - Colt McCoy is a winner. He owns the D-I record for most career wins by a quarterback: 45.

Many of the arguments above can be similar to another famous quarterback in the draft, Florida's Tim Tebow.

Similarities between McCoy and Tebow:
    - They both have had one of the best college careers in history.
    - They both are know for their good character, leader abilities, and excellent work ethic.
    - They both have had great success not only with their arm, but also with their feet.
    - They both had one of the most talented teams around them, and played in systems that fit them well, but Tebow and McCoy's numbers in college are still eye-popping even considering that.
    - They both have little experience under the center.
    - Neither of them has a cannon for an arm.

However, Colt McCoy possesses some important skills that Tebow lacks:
    - A quick release.
    - Great accuracy on short to intermediate throws.
    - Gets rid of the ball quickly.
    These are all very important skills for a NFL quarterback.

In other words: As a quarterback in the NFL, Colt McCoy is ranked much higher than Tebow on my value board.

So what about Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen?
    I think they both deserve to go in the first round, but I think Colt McCoy is a better fit for the Vikings. Especially if you want the QB to start right away.

My arguments for Colt McCoy over Clausen and Bradford:
    - McCoy has much more experience.
    - McCoy is perhaps more accurate than both of them.
    - McCoy has more years of excellent play that the other two.
    - McCoy is a dual-threat quarterback. The other two are far from considered a threat out of the pocket.
    - Colt McCoy has shown that he is more durable than the other higher ranked quarterbacks. Both Sam Bradford and Jimmy Clausen has only played two full seasons. Colt McCoy has practically played four. Still, many experts are questioning whether McCoy has the size to withstand the NFL punishment. Personally, I don't think that McCoy will be injury prone in the NFL.
    In addition, my gut feeling tells me that McCoy is the best character guy of all the quarterbacks in this class.

Colt McCoy's skill set makes him an ideal fit for the Vikings' West Coast offense
    If someone asked me to choose one quarterback in the NFL to compare with Colt McCoy, I would choose Drew Brees. Partly because their size and lack of arm strength, but also because they have outstanding throw accuracy, football intelligence, work discipline, leadership, and not to mention a great off and on the field character.

HEY
    Blog Entries

Re:2010 Draft: The Ideal Quarterback For The Vikings

To me, Colt McCoy looks like a more mobile and bigger Drew Brees. Here's a couple of articles on the subject:

A perfect example for McCoy

Could Drew Brees' Super Bowl MVP Help Colt McCoy's 2010 NFL Draft Stock?

HEY
    Blog Entries

Re:2010 Draft: Ideal Quarterback For The Vikings

To me, Colt McCoy looks like a more mobile and bigger Drew Brees. Here's a couple of articles on the subject:

A perfect example for McCoy

Could Drew Brees' Super Bowl MVP Help Colt McCoy's 2010 NFL Draft Stock?

HEY
    Blog Entries

*double post*

hav0x is offline Pro-Bowler

More like Quadruple post lol.

Anyway I honestly like Colt more than Clausen. Watching Grudens QB show on ESPN it showed the true personalities of the QBS and Clausen just seemed to blame all of his bad plays on other players. I don't want that kind of player on this team.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re:2010 Draft: The Ideal Quarterback For The Vikin

So, which QB do you like in the draft?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

McCoy really impressed me on the Gruden show.

However, I think Clausen has a stronger arm, is more accurate, has a higher football IQ, and is more NFL ready(with the whole having experience under center thing.)

I'd love to get Clausen if he were to somehow fall to 30. But if we take McCoy in that same spot, I will not be upset.

There is very little we can do as a franchise to piss me off on thursday. I'm pumped for this draft, I feel like we can't go wrong.

HEY
    Blog Entries

It seems like either you like Jimmy Clausen or you don't. I have to say that I'm one of the doubters. Colt McCoy is much more proven more than Clausen. People say that anyone who draft McCoy will take a big risk, but I think that Clausen has a lot of questions marks too, if not more.

By the way, can someone post the link to Gruden's QB show on ESPN?

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

The more I see of Colt, the more I like.
    I wouldn't mind us drafting him with the 30th pick.

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni

Mr Anderson wrote:
    McCoy really impressed me on the Gruden show.

However, I think Clausen has a stronger arm, is more accurate, has a higher football IQ, and is more NFL ready(with the whole having experience under center thing.)

I'd love to get Clausen if he were to somehow fall to 30. But if we take McCoy in that same spot, I will not be upset.

There is very little we can do as a franchise to piss me off on thursday. I'm pumped for this draft, I feel like we can't go wrong.
    I would love to have McCoy or Clausen. I think either one of them, with a year or two under Favre, watching, observing him, would be a good thing.

The links to Gruden't QB Camp...Gruden cracks me up. The most impressive one to me with respect to poise and leadership characteristics is Tebow. I felt like running through a wall for that kid a few times during the interview. Enjoy.

McCoy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYYhts5txk

Tebow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bs26aPmAYs

Bradford - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjpx_tneQZQ

Clausen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoBFBUzZHtk

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 1 of 13 123 11 ... LastLast