[size=13pt]Draft selections by team[/size]

Associated Press
    Last update: April 26, 2009 - 7:46 PM

NFCN:

Vikings
    1 (22) Percy Harvin, wr, Florida.
    2 (54) Phil Loadholt, ot, Oklahoma.
    3 (86) Asher Allen, db, Georgia.
    5 (150) Jasper Brinkley, lb, South Carolina.
    7 (231) Jamarca Sanford, db, Mississippi.

Chicago
    3 (68) Jarron Gilbert, dt, San Jose State.
    3 (99) Juaquin Iglesias, wr, Oklahoma.
    4 (105) Henry Melton, de, Texas.
    4 (119) D.J. Moore, db, Vanderbilt.
    5 (140) Johnny Knox, wr, Abilene Christian.
    5 (154) Marcus Freeman, lb, Ohio State.
    6 (190) Al Afalava, db, Oregon State.
    7 (246) Lance Louis, te, San Diego State.
    7 (251) Derek Kinder, wr, Pittsburgh.

Detroit
    1 (1) Matthew Stafford, qb, Georgia.
    1 (20) Brandon Pettigrew, te, Oklahoma State.
    2 (33) Louis Delmas, db, Western Michigan.
    3 (76) DeAndre Levy, lb, Wisconsin.
    3 (82) Derrick Williams, wr, Penn State.
    4 (115) Sammie Lee Hill, dt, Stillman.
    6 (192) Aaron Brown, rb, TCU.
    7 (228) Lydon Murtha, ot, Nebraska.
    7 (235) Zach Follet, lb, California.
    7 (255) Dan Gronkowski, te, Maryland.

Green Bay
    1 (9) B.J. Raji, dt, Boston College.
    1 (26) Clay Matthews, lb, Southern Cal.
    4 (109) T.J. Lang, g, Eastern Michigan.
    5 (145) Quinn Johnson, rb, LSU.
    5 (162) Jamon Meredith, ot, South Carolina.
    6 (182) Jarius Wynn, de, Georgia.
    6 (187) Brandon Underwood, db, Cincinnati.
    7 (218) Brad Jones, lb, Colorado.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: The 2009 Vikings Draft Class

The only pick I don't understand is the Brinkley pick.
    I would have much rather had Javon Ringer or Cornelius Ingram.

Other than that, I thought this was a solid draft.
    It all hinges on what happens with Harvin.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    The only pick I don't understand is the Brinkley pick.
    I would have much rather had Javon Ringer or Cornelius Ingram.

Other than that, I thought this was a solid draft.
    It all hinges on what happens with Harvin.
    I don't see a problem with having one big personality the team...

i'm very happy with the pick
    i m better than you, so just give up...

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"Big" wrote:
    I think Harvin will contribute more as a slot receiver on slants. Kind of Wes Welker type reciever to help move the chains. Not thrilled about having play 3rd RB. I am sure we will settle on UDFA for that. Also, Wade's contract will be up soon so am not suprised.

Absolutely LOVE the Loadholt pick. Probably not an upgrade over Cook in the passing game but (supposedly) a monster in the running game. Running the ball is our MO, so being able to run to BOTH sides is subtle change that makes a BIG diference to our play selections.

Absolutely love the Allen pick. Winfield jr, he is.

The Brinkley pick made NFLN's top 15 value picks of day 2. I place a lot of faith in Mayock's talent evaluation so think that is high praise and might justify the trade up. We need LB depth pretty bad so I am OK with this pick.

Don't know anything about Sanford but read that he is a 4 year starter, hard hitting safety who led the SEC in tackles over the last 4 years earning him an invite to the combine. I have respect for solid production so think it's a good pick for the 7th round.

I give a B+ for the draft.
    +1 Loadholt may not be the best pass blocker, but he is a road grater... i loved that pick, even with Beatty still on the board.

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

woulda rather had Britt than Harvin but I believe Harvin has a lot of talent and potential, lets just hope he uses it all.

Loadholt is the best possible pick for us at the time (favorite pick)

Allen is a solid corner (could have had Moore or Harris but i think Allen will be solid)

I think Duke Robinson woulda been a better benefit for our team than Brinkley but i think Brinkley has potential to be a beast.

idk about our last pick... there were better safeties available, and possibly shoulda taken Ian Johnson who could have benefited in a couple ways.

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

I love the first two picks. I wouldn't have minded Oher at 22, but with hindsight 20/20, there was a run on WR's right after we picked as Nicks and Britt both went in the first round. I also would have loved to have seen a trade-up for Maclin, but again, it was clear that our front office graded out Harvin as a top ten prospect considering how fast they got that pick off. It was just like a big sigh of relief from our FO that we got our guy. Harvin is one of those toss ups. He has a chance to be one of the most explosive players in the NFL. Sub 4.4 speed, great field vision, versatility, amazing explosiveness in the open field. Injury concerns, character issues, etc. I just love it when the Vikes pick a guy that had success at the college level unlike other picks in the past (see Williamson, Troy).

Loadholt looks like, well, a load. I think he has a solid chance to start at RT from day one. I'm not the biggest fan of 2nd round OL as opposed to 1st round ones (see Cook, Ryan) but I think Loadholt has a chance to pan out in a serious way and solidify the right side for us.

It's looking like an OL of McKinnie, Hutch, Sullivan, Herrera, Loadholt or Cook
    That's not bad at all and I like that we're getting younger in that respect. That OL is also HUGE especially with the replacement at C by either Cook or Sullivan.

I don't know much about Allen so I can't comment on that one. Looks like he could be a contributor at Nickel or Dime next year..

Brinkley was interesting. Don't know much about him either but with the trade up it sounds like he was high on our draft board as well. Some sights had him graded out as a 2nd-3rd round type guy so it's nice to get good value for our pick despite it not being at a position of huge need. I'm really waiting for Erin Henderson and Rufus Alexander (is he still with the team?) to step up on ST. It'll also be nice to add Farwell back into the lineup. Should be an improved ST squad next year, especially if Harvin can return punts/kicks like we all hope he can.

Don't know anything about our 7th.. he won't make the team most likely.

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

I really like the fact that we addressed all of our major needs.
    I always hope for some fireworks so that we move up to get "our guy", but it seemed as thought the staff knew exactly what they wanted (as someone mentioned earlier).

The name Loadholt on the back of a jersey is perfect for an Olineman; this is bound to work out...haha

Seems like we had a lot of prior interest in Brinkley, so I'm interested to see how he works out...depth and ST probably.

As with any draft and any new player...time will tell

Vikings_AD is offline Training Camp

I am glad that we selected Loadholt.
    He is a stud, and I feel that he will be able to make an immediate impact on the team.
    I was kindof surprised to see his name called in the 2nd round though.
    I thought that we could have gotten him in the 3rd round.
    What do you guys think, did we stretch for him in the 2nd round, or would he have been gone before our pick in the 3rd round.

"Winning takes talent, to repeat takes character." -John Wooden

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Vikings_AD" wrote:
    I am glad that we selected Loadholt.
    He is a stud, and I feel that he will be able to make an immediate impact on the team.
    I was kindof surprised to see his name called in the 2nd round though.
    I thought that we could have gotten him in the 3rd round.
    What do you guys think, did we stretch for him in the 2nd round, or would he have been gone before our pick in the 3rd round.
    nah, there was talk about teams taking him in the first.
    IMO if we waited, he would have been gone.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Big" wrote:

Absolutely LOVE the Loadholt pick. Probably not an upgrade over Cook in the passing game but (supposedly) a monster in the running game. Running the ball is our MO, so being able to run to BOTH sides is subtle change that makes a BIG diference to our play selections.
    If I recall correctly, AD has had more success running to the right side. Someone posted the breakdown last season.

I'm not worried about the run game, I'm more worried about our passing game. If they don't improve their pass blocking skills, AD included, it won't open up the run game more by being able to pass & we won't see much improvement over last year. What we needed was more pass protection.

One thing that will improve our passing game is if we start throwing more quick slants. Harvin would be ideal in that situation.

Marrdro & another blamed Birk & what they thought was his inability to pull as the reason we didn't run more slants. With Birk gone & Sullivan in, we'll see if we start running slants more. I for one feel it was the play calling by the coaches, not Birk as the reason we didn't run them more often. Same holds true for the Wildcat.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast