HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

2009 Draft is packed with talented centers

I found a nice article about this year's talented group of centers at www.NFL.com. The author of the article ranks the five best centers coming out of college and you can watch a short video analyse of all the players. I'm very impressed at this years's center class and I think the Vikings should consider some of these players if they should last deep into the 2nd round. To give a little example of how deep this year's class is, A. Q. Shipley was the Rimington Trophy winner (awarded to college football's most outstanding center) and he was projected at the bottom of the top five.

Here's the article:

[size=14pt]Draft's top centers: Mack leads talented class of men in the middle[/size]
    By Steve Wyche
    |
    NFL.com

This year's center class, highlighted by California's Alex Mack, is a deep and talented group. They'll get playing time, as teams throughout the league need depth at center because so many players currently starting at the position, like Kevin Mawae and Matt Birk, are getting older.

link to article:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...s&confirm=true

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: 2009 Draft is packed with talented centers

Personally, I like Eric Wood and that's who I voted for. I think Alex Mack is a better center overall (that dude looks extremely powerful and strong on tape) and Max Unger is very intriguing, but I just loves Wood's intensity, and he's a beast in the run game

He's also extremely durable (I think he set a school record for most consecutive starts)

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Spielman said they like guys that play multiple positions. Wood and Unger are both that. Mack is a beast. I would like to see any of these guys on the team.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    Spielman said they like guys that play multiple positions. Wood and Unger are both that. Mack is a beast. I would like to see any of these guys on the team.
    Excellent point.
    Another one to consider is that in our scheme the C needs to have the smarts to make a line call.......

Mack also is a solid pass blocker. His strongest asset is his ability to diagnose defenses and make the needed line calls.
    Unger.....He is accustomed to playing mostly out of a shotgun system and could be best suited for a zone-blocking offense.
    Caldwell.....He isn't great at pulling, so he could be a good fit for teams that don't use a lot of interior movement with their linemen.
    Shipley's strengths project that he could be a good fit for a zone-blocking team, although he also is rough enough to play in drive-blocking sets.
    Kindof limits it down when you take all the stuff into perspective....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg