Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    215

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    Exactly it's getting who's best there, did we absolutely need AP last year? No, but he was the best talent alongside Calvin Johnson and looks now. I think if there's an impact player their you gotta take him almost regardless of position but not fully...I would like to see a DE but if one's not there either take nice talent or trade down a bit...

  2. #22
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    I disagree with the "BPA" crowd.
    This team needs a defensive end.
    We didn't get one in free agency, so we'll need to get one in the draft.
    ALL draft picks carry some degree of risk, and if you're not willing to take it, well...that's why you're not in the front office.

    We won't find an Adrian Peterson-type "value pick" at #17.
    We need to stop fooling ourselves and resign ourselves to the fact that we need a defensive end.
    I disagree. I think that drafting because of need greatly increases the chances of getting a bust. Drafting the BPA gives the team the best chance at getting an elite player. I think there is a good chance that somebody available at the 17 spot will become a superstar and go to many probowls, that is the player the vikings need to seek to have long term success. When was Moss taken in the draft?
    I would agree that the 2008 vikings would be better by simply taking the best LDE available but the 2009-2015 vikings will be better by getting the BPA.
    In the later rounds they can go more by need(assuming their is no one they think will be a stud at another position).
    So your suggesting we ignore our need at DE and just take the best player available, whether it be QB, RB, CB or even LB?
    So when we don't get a decent FA DE, and we ignore DE in the draft because they're not the best player available, where does that leave us?? in an even worse position than before.
    We lost our only consistant player at DE.
    We NEED to address it in the draft, specifically in the first 2 rounds.
    We can't afford to wait untill the 4th round to pick up a DE.
    I'm not saying we ignore DE. I am saying that we should not ignore 95% of our first round options simply because we need a DE. If there is no DE available that the scouts think is worth the 17th pick they should look else where.
    If we don't get an elite pass rusher this year we will probably make do with what we have and try again in FA and the draft after the 2008 season. By your logic the vikings would have taken a WR in the first round of last years draft.
    Exactly, if there is a DE on the board that is equal to anything we're looking at yeah we should go for the DE, but if there is a DE that just isn't good enough for that pick and there is a stud we can get we should go for the stud.

  3. #23
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    If all the DE's that are worth taking are off the board.. what about taking somebody like Kentwan Balmer.. one of the elite DT's in the draft and moving K-dub to DE.. he's played it before and sometimes even plays it when we are in passing situations...

    that's a good BPA move and could end up working.. we possibly sign a DE next year and have pat williams backup already on the roster...

    Best case scenario ray edwards comes back and Raz is healed up!.. we'd be good to go... may be a good stop gap option...

  4. #24
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    Trade up for Chris Long.
    Win the Superbowl.
    Build a stadium.

  5. #25
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    I disagree with the "BPA" crowd.
    This team needs a defensive end.
    We didn't get one in free agency, so we'll need to get one in the draft.
    ALL draft picks carry some degree of risk, and if you're not willing to take it, well...that's why you're not in the front office.

    We won't find an Adrian Peterson-type "value pick" at #17.
    We need to stop fooling ourselves and resign ourselves to the fact that we need a defensive end.
    I disagree. I think that drafting because of need greatly increases the chances of getting a bust. Drafting the BPA gives the team the best chance at getting an elite player. I think there is a good chance that somebody available at the 17 spot will become a superstar and go to many probowls, that is the player the vikings need to seek to have long term success. When was Moss taken in the draft?
    I would agree that the 2008 vikings would be better by simply taking the best LDE available but the 2009-2015 vikings will be better by getting the BPA.
    In the later rounds they can go more by need(assuming their is no one they think will be a stud at another position).
    So your suggesting we ignore our need at DE and just take the best player available, whether it be QB, RB, CB or even LB?
    So when we don't get a decent FA DE, and we ignore DE in the draft because they're not the best player available, where does that leave us?? in an even worse position than before.
    We lost our only consistant player at DE.
    We NEED to address it in the draft, specifically in the first 2 rounds.
    We can't afford to wait untill the 4th round to pick up a DE.
    I'm not saying we ignore DE. I am saying that we should not ignore 95% of our first round options simply because we need a DE. If there is no DE available that the scouts think is worth the 17th pick they should look else where.
    If we don't get an elite pass rusher this year we will probably make do with what we have and try again in FA and the draft after the 2008 season. By your logic the vikings would have taken a WR in the first round of last years draft.
    Exactly, if there is a DE on the board that is equal to anything we're looking at yeah we should go for the DE, but if there is a DE that just isn't good enough for that pick and there is a stud we can get we should go for the stud.
    The next logical step is to define which DEs are deserving of the 17 pick, and which "studs" are worth ignoring our top need for.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  6. #26
    jmcdon00's Avatar
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,281

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    "V" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    [quote author=BBQ Platypus link=topic=42915.msg736011#msg736011 date=1204838139]
    I disagree with the "BPA" crowd.
    This team needs a defensive end.
    We didn't get one in free agency, so we'll need to get one in the draft.
    ALL draft picks carry some degree of risk, and if you're not willing to take it, well...that's why you're not in the front office.

    We won't find an Adrian Peterson-type "value pick" at #17.
    We need to stop fooling ourselves and resign ourselves to the fact that we need a defensive end.
    I disagree. I think that drafting because of need greatly increases the chances of getting a bust. Drafting the BPA gives the team the best chance at getting an elite player. I think there is a good chance that somebody available at the 17 spot will become a superstar and go to many probowls, that is the player the vikings need to seek to have long term success. When was Moss taken in the draft?
    I would agree that the 2008 vikings would be better by simply taking the best LDE available but the 2009-2015 vikings will be better by getting the BPA.
    In the later rounds they can go more by need(assuming their is no one they think will be a stud at another position).
    So your suggesting we ignore our need at DE and just take the best player available, whether it be QB, RB, CB or even LB?
    So when we don't get a decent FA DE, and we ignore DE in the draft because they're not the best player available, where does that leave us?? in an even worse position than before.
    We lost our only consistant player at DE.
    We NEED to address it in the draft, specifically in the first 2 rounds.
    We can't afford to wait untill the 4th round to pick up a DE.
    I'm not saying we ignore DE. I am saying that we should not ignore 95% of our first round options simply because we need a DE. If there is no DE available that the scouts think is worth the 17th pick they should look else where.
    If we don't get an elite pass rusher this year we will probably make do with what we have and try again in FA and the draft after the 2008 season. By your logic the vikings would have taken a WR in the first round of last years draft.
    Exactly, if there is a DE on the board that is equal to anything we're looking at yeah we should go for the DE, but if there is a DE that just isn't good enough for that pick and there is a stud we can get we should go for the stud.
    The next logical step is to define which DEs are deserving of the 17 pick, and which "studs" are worth ignoring our top need for.
    [/quote]
    And since I have little knowledge of that I won't even attempt it. But really all you have to do is make a list of the top 17 players the vikings want and then come draft day you just take the top player remaining.

  7. #27
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is online now Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,561

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    (with props to Marrdro, thanks for sharing the site):

    Gregory Cox - thefootballexpert.com:

    1)
    DE Philip Merling (Clemson)

    - love the pick...will make an impact as a rookie with 3 or 4 DE rotation
    2)
    TE Dustin Keller (Purdue)

    - like this too...a fast, pass catching TE is a seam buster; and, current trend
    3a) SS/FS DaJuan Morgan (N.C. State)

    - the more I study Morgan, the more I like him
    3b) C Mike Pollak (Arizona State)

    - this would work
    4)
    DT DeMario Pressley (N.C. State)

    - see 3b
    5)
    ILB J Leman (Illinois)

    - special teams, size, and depth
    6a) QB Kevin O’Connell (San Diego State)

    - I like this pick alot...he's a project, however, can make all of the throws; not many can
    6b) OLB Jordan Dizon (Colorado)

    - I like Dizon better than Leman...a little undersized, however, kid can play.

    7)
    FS Michael Grant (Arkansas)

    - I think they go DB earlier, perhaps Rd 5

    Michael Abramowitz - thefootballexpert.com

    1)
    Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson

    - love the pick...will make an impact as a rookie iwith 3 or 4 DE rotation
    2)
    Chad Henne, QB, Michigan

    - at first I was mixed, however, I could see this.
    Tough, intelligent, warrior, leader, born to be a QB.
    Giving TJack some competition wouldn't be bad...and, certainly, something Childress would prefer.
    3a)
    LaVelle Hawkins, WR, California

    - simply can never have enough good players.
    polished route runner, catches everything...good slot WR.
    3b)
    Xavier Adibi, LB, Virginia Tech

    - absolutely love this pick...solid depth, ST contributor, very good blitzing LB

    Brought these two forward because I think they illustrate the flexibility the Vikes have secured themselves with solid recent drafts and strategic FA acquisitions.
    Certainly, we will need a DE in the first two picks, however, after that, you really could make a solid argument going virtually any direction.
    The more I look at the Team and the Draft, the more excited I get.
    The future looks so bright, we gotta wear shades
    8)



    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  8. #28
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    "MaxVike" wrote:
    (with props to Marrdro, thanks for sharing the site):

    Gregory Cox - thefootballexpert.com:

    1)
    DE Philip Merling (Clemson)


    - love the pick...will make an impact as a rookie with 3 or 4 DE rotation
    2)
    TE Dustin Keller (Purdue)


    - like this too...a fast, pass catching TE is a seam buster; and, current trend
    3a) SS/FS DaJuan Morgan (N.C. State)


    - the more I study Morgan, the more I like him
    3b) C Mike Pollak (Arizona State)


    - this would work
    4)
    DT DeMario Pressley (N.C. State)


    - see 3b
    5)
    ILB J Leman (Illinois)


    - special teams, size, and depth
    6a) QB Kevin O’Connell (San Diego State)


    - I like this pick alot...he's a project, however, can make all of the throws; not many can
    6b) OLB Jordan Dizon (Colorado)


    - I like Dizon better than Leman...a little undersized, however, kid can play.

    7)
    FS Michael Grant (Arkansas)


    - I think they go DB earlier, perhaps Rd 5

    Michael Abramowitz - thefootballexpert.com

    1)
    Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson


    - love the pick...will make an impact as a rookie iwith 3 or 4 DE rotation
    2)
    Chad Henne, QB, Michigan


    - at first I was mixed, however, I could see this.
    Tough, intelligent, warrior, leader, born to be a QB.
    Giving TJack some competition wouldn't be bad...and, certainly, something Childress would prefer.
    3a)
    LaVelle Hawkins, WR, California


    - simply can never have enough good players.
    polished route runner, catches everything...good slot WR.
    3b)
    Xavier Adibi, LB, Virginia Tech


    - absolutely love this pick...solid depth, ST contributor, very good blitzing LB

    Brought these two forward because I think they illustrate the flexibility the Vikes have secured themselves with solid recent drafts and strategic FA acquisitions.
    Certainly, we will need a DE in the first two picks, however, after that, you really could make a solid argument going virtually any direction.
    The more I look at the Team and the Draft, the more excited I get.
    The future looks so bright, we gotta wear shades
    8)
    Thanks for the props my friend but the guys who actually did the mocks deserve the credit.

    The more I study this Merling kid, the more I like him.
    Stud LDE and a pass rusher.

    Love your last paragraph.
    Couldn't have said it better.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #29
    mjuaire's Avatar
    mjuaire is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    103

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    I wouldn't mind the Henne pick either, although I would rather one of the WR's in the second (Early Doucett if he drops)
    for the same reason Lavelle was mentioned but a little better in my opinion, and waiting until the third for a QB.
    Do you guys think Henne will come off the board in round 2??
    there would still be a couple solid choices at either WR or QB in the third so i guess it's to each his own there.

    Love the potential Adibi pick, i would be shocked if he fell to the 3rd too, but what do I know.
    Dang I love the draft, and things are certainly looking up for this franchise....ummm stadium please.

  10. #30
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841

    Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

    If Long, Gholston, Merling and Harvey are all gone at 17, we should probably look elsewhere.
    Good chance we can snag Lawrence Jackson of USC or maybe Darrell Robertson from GT in the 2nd for our DE.
    Philips at S or Reggie Smith as a two spot guy (CB/S) might be a good pick at 17...one of the top OTs might be a good pick, depending on how much trouble McKinnie is in.
    WR has diminished greatly as a need for us, but I'd still be down with Malcolm Kelly or maybe Sweed there...since it would improve our top end WR depth and set our offense up for years to come (for whoever QBs).

    At QB, I think we're looking at a 4th or later pick...O'Connell sounds like a good fit in the 6th.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Baumy300's Mock draft - 04/14/2008
    By baumy300 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
  2. With the 17th pick of the 2008 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select
    By skum in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:36 PM
  3. 2008 NFL Mock Draft - 4 Rounds
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 02:31 AM
  4. Who's #1? 2008 NFL Mock Draft
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 07:05 AM
  5. 2008 Mock Draft?
    By COJOMAY in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •