Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 2008 NFL Mock Draft: Minnesota Vikings

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    D'oh!!
    I was really hoping Odom would make it to the Vikings!
    Now, I'm thinking we should resign Darion Scott.
    The first year James got hurt, Udeze moved over and Scott filled in at LDE for Udeze admirably, leading the team in sacks with 5.
    Not sure how much trouble the guy is in, or how many games he may be suspended...and then, there was an injury too, huh?
    Thing is, right now, we don't really have a starter at LDE at all.
    At RDE we still have some young potential in Edwards and Robison and, possibly, James.
    Does anyone here think Mitchell has what it takes to be a starter?
    Maybe.
    Even if he does, we'll need backup...injuries happen all too often!

Kearse kind of scares me...he'll want big bucks, and has not delivered that kind of production for too long...too many injuries.
    And, pretty sure, he plays RDE.

So, if we don't find a FA for the left end, we'll pretty much be forced into making that a priority in the draft...which leads to reaching, which often leads to busts!
    Double D'oh!!

Narrows down the choices somewhat too...seems most of the top ranked DEs are lighter, faster RDE guys.
    Campbell and Merling being the heaviest in the top ten with CC at 290 and PM at 276...most of the other guys in the 260s to low 270s.
    I'd probably feel ok with a guy like Chris Long playing either side, but, how many of these guys can make the switch and contribute at a high level as a rookie?
    Anybody gone through and checked which side these guys played predominantly?
    Very nice points.

A quick thing to think about though, we do have a starter on the roster at LDE that maybe some of us just aren't considering.

A young up and comer (2nd year man) who has made a few good plays last year and seemed to be on the field a little bit more last year.

92 Jayme Mitchell DE 23 6-6 285 2 Mississippi

Wouldn't shock me at all to see him have a good year if he was given a chance to start and get more reps.
    Judging by he way our FA period went so far in the DE world, he might have to just be the guy and step up.
    Me either, I've been saying for a long time now that I like what I've seen in Mitchell, when he's on the field he's almost always fighting to the ball, definatly has the potential imo, and deserves a shot

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

btw, i like this writer (lol)

Some people have compared Darren McFadden to Peterson. That is an absolute crock and an insult to Adrian Peterson.

It was only one season, and many, many things can happen, but right now Adrian Peterson is already the best running back in the NFL.

If he can stay healthy, he has a chance to be one of the best running backs ever.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

I disagree with the "BPA" crowd.
    This team needs a defensive end.
    We didn't get one in free agency, so we'll need to get one in the draft.
    ALL draft picks carry some degree of risk, and if you're not willing to take it, well...that's why you're not in the front office.

We won't find an Adrian Peterson-type "value pick" at #17.
    We need to stop fooling ourselves and resign ourselves to the fact that we need a defensive end.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrick haaaaaaaaaaaaaarvey

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"BBQ" wrote:
    ALL draft picks carry some degree of risk, and if you're not willing to take it, well...that's why you're not in the front office.

We need to stop fooling ourselves and resign ourselves to the fact that we need a defensive end.
    I disagree. I think that drafting because of need greatly increases the chances of getting a bust. Drafting the BPA gives the team the best chance at getting an elite player. I think there is a good chance that somebody available at the 17 spot will become a superstar and go to many probowls, that is the player the vikings need to seek to have long term success. When was Moss taken in the draft?
    I would agree that the 2008 vikings would be better by simply taking the best LDE available but the 2009-2015 vikings will be better by getting the BPA.
    In the later rounds they can go more by need(assuming their is no one they think will be a stud at another position).

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

I disagree. I think that drafting because of need greatly increases the chances of getting a bust. Drafting the BPA gives the team the best chance at getting an elite player. I think there is a good chance that somebody available at the 17 spot will become a superstar and go to many probowls, that is the player the vikings need to seek to have long term success. When was Moss taken in the draft?
    I would agree that the 2008 vikings would be better by simply taking the best LDE available but the 2009-2015 vikings will be better by getting the BPA.
    In the later rounds they can go more by need(assuming their is no one they think will be a stud at another position).
    So your suggesting we ignore our need at DE and just take the best player available, whether it be QB, RB, CB or even LB?
    So when we don't get a decent FA DE, and we ignore DE in the draft because they're not the best player available, where does that leave us?? in an even worse position than before.
    We lost our only consistant player at DE.
    We NEED to address it in the draft, specifically in the first 2 rounds.
    We can't afford to wait untill the 4th round to pick up a DE.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

So your suggesting we ignore our need at DE and just take the best player available, whether it be QB, RB, CB or even LB?
    So when we don't get a decent FA DE, and we ignore DE in the draft because they're not the best player available, where does that leave us?? in an even worse position than before.
    The argument is ridiculous.
    Everyone's draft sheet is different.
    BPA can be categorized by position too.
    Rather generic term really.
    BPA may very well be a DE on the spreadsheet of the boys from Winter Park.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

I'm not saying we ignore DE. I am saying that we should not ignore 95% of our first round options simply because we need a DE. If there is no DE available that the scouts think is worth the 17th pick they should look else where.
    If we don't get an elite pass rusher this year we will probably make do with what we have and try again in FA and the draft after the 2008 season. By your logic the vikings would have taken a WR in the first round of last years draft.

mark is offline Asst. Coach

If harvy is not avalible then i think we should go with hardy in the first and a DE in the 2nd.imagine in the red zone with rice and hardy on the outside and berrian in the slot or the miss matches with hardy in the slot.Our offence would be so solid for years to come.
    <!--
    sig -->

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

I'm not saying we ignore DE. I am saying that we should not ignore 95% of our first round options simply because we need a DE. If there is no DE available that the scouts think is worth the 17th pick they should look else where.
    If we don't get an elite pass rusher this year we will probably make do with what we have and try again in FA and the draft after the 2008 season. By your logic the vikings would have taken a WR in the first round of last years draft.
    We had a top 10 pick...you go BPA

After that you just feel your way through it as at that point there aren't too many draft day studs left on the board.
    If there are any 1st round worthy DEs at that point we take him...if not, then we should go with whoever is left on the board worthy of a first round pick, who we have some type of need for wether it be planning for the future (S) or drafting for another immediate need.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast