Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    purpledogg35 is offline Waterboy

2006 Vikings Draft: No suprises, typical Vikings draft

I wonder if anyone is suprised by the draft after the first two picks. I am not. The Vikings always use the first two picks on players that appear to be solid picks and spend the rest of their picks on a bunch of projects that they hope will work out.

They do this for financial reasons. It is easier to get a what if player to sign a contract than it is to get a higher ranked player to sign. The Vikings don't believe in paying a rookie big dollars so they always avoid players that might demand those dollars.

Sometimes the financial draft pays off and they pick someone that really turns out to be a find but most of the time they end up being average players at best. The Vikings never pick the best player on the board after the first two picks, they always pick projects.

The same thing happened this year and it will always happen as long as the Vikings draft is governed by cash rather than talent.

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: 2006 Vikings Draft: No suprises, typical Vikings draft

I don't know about that. Red McCombs is gone. Ziggy isn't afraid to spend (see our FA pickup). I honest to god don't know why we selected Cook and Travaris.....can't wait for Childress' explaination.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

nareg is offline Rookie

well im goin wid the reali optipestic look and sayin that travis ahs a lot of upside and that birk always gets injured so that might be it tehre!!!! (travis is hugee!!! i like him)

edlantis is offline Rookie

"PurpleManiac" wrote:
    I don't know about that. Red McCombs is gone. Ziggy isn't afraid to spend (see our FA pickup). I honest to god don't know why we selected Cook and Travaris.....can't wait for Childress' explaination.
    Childress will say what all coaches say, "We felt he was the best QB left on the board and believe strongly that he is going to grow and be an excellent athelete to build our offense around in the future." Or something like it...

Coaches are like politicians, they tell you what they think you want to hear, answer questions with a pile of useless rhetoric, and always end their comments with something unrealistically positive. The only difference is we don't get to vote for'em.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Jackson will be good, well I hope he will...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Eh...I've been disappointed before. At least this time I have some hope they know what they are doing. I mean, I thought the Whizzinator was indeed the SOD, and he may have been, but for bongnitus. I may as well wait and see if Childress can develope Jackson. I assume Jackson is smart enough to know that millions of dollars are at stake. he can always toke when he retires.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Our drafts are always like this. We take players noone has us picking and for the most part they turn out good. I remeber thinking...Kevin Williams...whose Kevin Williams? I trust that our staff made the right choices.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Financial reasons?

You are kidding, right?

michiganvike is offline Rookie

i think i understand what you are saying

i was thinking about it earlier, and one explanation could be that due to all of the FA activity this year, the FO wants to keep the draft signings at a low cost.
    That could explain why they would use 2 3rd rounds to get one player who would obviously be around much later in the draft, they just figured to get the player they wanted, and get rid of a pick (by that i mean a lot of money it would take to sign the 3rd round choice) and the same goes for Cook. By getting him before we normally would have we can save money.
    I most likely didnt do a very good job of explaining my thoughts, but i never am.

of course, this is all just a theory, and i am in not way claiming that this is what the reason is, its just a possibility. Plus we do know that Wilf isnt afraid to spend money, but you never know with all the signings we had plus a new stadium.. but anways.

I watched the video of Jackson, and i think if childress can coach him right we should have a great guy, just definatly not what i was expecting.

it will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

damviking is offline Training Camp

I dont know how you can sit back and say you people know more about what a good NFl player is then a staff of people how have made a career of it! Also this is a new staff from top to bottom. You cant compare to the staffs that are no longer here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast