Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    WildViking3030 is offline Training Camp

Re: 2005 draft worst ever in Vikings history?

Yeah that one hurt, at least it appears so far that we got some awesome players in the 06 and 07 drafts.
    It looks like our 07 draft is the complete opposite of our 05 *knock on wood

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Vikings Draft 2005...The Lame Duck Draft!!!?

A couple of Peter King's notes got me thinking...page 2 and 3 for those of you that didn't get that far...
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/05/25/mmqb/2.html

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me
    It should interest, or sicken, everyone wearing purple.

The Vikings' two most valuable chips entering the 2005 off-season were Randy Moss and their first-round draft choice, the 18th overall pick. Imagine if I told you three years ago that the Vikings would have turned Randy Moss and the 18th overall pick in the draft into absolutely, totally nothing.
    Ouch!
    Too True!
    The only guy remaining on the team (2 firsts! Double D'oh!!) is Marcus Johnson.
    Who, we were pretty stoked about, but never really earned the gig...I guess, with his experience, he's a pretty good backup for us.
    I'd still like to see him get some reps at guard too...just to see if its a better fit, or perhaps at least, a multiple backup.
    Then again, with the Birk thing up in the air, we'll likely see a C/OG type guy kept instead.
    Luckily, we should know more about the McKinnie thing before we cut down from 80!

I feel for Erasmus...bad luck on the injury bug!
    Best of luck!!!
    It was a concern coming out, and why we got him down at 18.
    Here's a piece of info I did not know, that may help explain why he got released now...with our depth of talent, his health becomes a bigger hindrance.

Big, big story. Don Banks covered it well two weeks ago, and you'll hear coaches moan about it when camp begins. Because teams are not allowed roster exemptions for players who played in NFL Europa or various other restricted lists, you'll see every team, in all likelihood, go to camp with fewer than 80 able-bodied players. (Players on the Physically Unable to Perform List count against the 80-man limit.)
    Shitty Draft Year to be sure!!!!
    All in all, 2005 is looking to go down as one of the worst ever!
    BUT, As I recall (double checked on wiki) that 2005 was Tice's last as HC, and Wilf didn't officailly purchase the Vikings in May of 2005...after McComb's understaffed scouting department had already made the picks and the trade.
    Talk about LAME!
    Since then, we've made much better picks.
    A bit early statement perhaps, but so far, looking MUCH better!!
    Some small solace I guess...Still wondering how much longer we'll feel the effects of McDick's underfunding...?

I just want to say again, THANK YOU WILFS!!!!!!!

***Sorry if this a repeat post...I already had it typed before I thought about searching for 2005 draft...and felt it was considerably off topic from the first page (TJack) SI thread.
    Sometimes, I think good articles do get buried in super long repetitive and often off subject threads...I guess its a fine line at times...?
    :-
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

How many other teams had a bad draft in 2005?

Of the 32 players taken in the first round, I count only 5 who I'd consider worthy of their first round selection.....
    The article mentions first round busts of 2005, but as a team were we alone?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

D'oh!
    There it is!!
    I up and started another thread with my thoughts on this...guess it'll get moved.
    Sorry for the inconvenience!

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=45259.0
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Draft 2005...The Lame Duck Draft!!!?

don't want to talk about 2005...

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

When it comes down to it, we still have the same money man and at least a part of the scouting staff intact(Studwell) from that draft and we had foley in 2006 and Spielman for the last 2 drafts. I guess that I give the staff quite a bit of credit for the last 2 drafts and for bringing in their guys, but you also have to remember that injuries like what happened to James could happen to any pick. Troy just didn't pan out and that happens from time to time and in the future it is pretty much guaranteed that these guys will pick a few turds too before it is all done. The fact is they had players that didn't fit their way of doing things and hopefully the guys who they bring in can.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    When it comes down to it, we still have the same money man and at least a part of the scouting staff intact(Studwell) from that draft and we had foley in 2006 and Spielman for the last 2 drafts. I guess that I give the staff quite a bit of credit for the last 2 drafts and for bringing in their guys, but you also have to remember that injuries like what happened to James could happen to any pick. Troy just didn't pan out and that happens from time to time and in the future it is pretty much guaranteed that these guys will pick a few turds too before it is all done. The fact is they had players that didn't fit their way of doing things and hopefully the guys who they bring in can.
    That's right. What would have happened if Greenway couldn't have come back from his injury his rookie year?

What if AD couldn't have come back from his?

Would everyone call them a bust?

To me a bust is an under achiever or a player who lacks the ability to make it in the pros when healthy. The unluckiness of injury doesn't factor into it.

We can only speculate what kind of player James would have been had he stayed healthy. To say he was a bad pick because he was unfortunate enough to get injured & not comeback from it is not what I would call it.

Shit happens.

[size=13pt]Cash cures Vikings' draft blunders[/size]

As the Class of '05 has dwindled, Zygi Wilf has lured proven players with his wallet.

By JIM SOUHAN, Star Tribune
    startribune.com

Last update: May 28, 2008 - 12:54 AM

There was something missing at the Vikings practice Tuesday. Other than sunshine (why do we live here?) and Matt Birk....

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

The Vikings have now traded their two first round picks that year for a sixth and a seventh round pick.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingivan" wrote:
    The Vikings have now traded their two first round picks that year for a sixth and a seventh round pick.
    Better than nothing.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast