Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

$19 million: Yes, that’s right

http://ww3.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1444

Sid’s estimate of the Vikings’ salary cap situation is accurate. The Vikings have about $19 million in space even after signing four free agents, including WR Bernard Berrian and S Madieu Williams. Some of that will go toward signing their future draft class, but there is not enough talent on the free agent market to use up the entire allotment.

What that means is the Vikings will once again be able to push at least $15 million in this unused cap space into 2009, provided they take advantage of the annual loophole that allows them to write absurd incentives into contracts for cap purposes.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: $19 million: Yes, that’s right

"Garland" wrote:

Sid’s estimate of the Vikings’ salary cap situation is accurate. The Vikings have about $19 million in space even after signing four free agents, including WR Bernard Berrian and S Madieu Williams. Some of that will go toward signing their future draft class, but there is not enough talent on the free agent market to use up the entire allotment.

What that means is the Vikings will once again be able to push at least $15 million in this unused cap space into 2009, provided they take advantage of the annual loophole that allows them to write absurd incentives into contracts for cap purposes.
    To take advantage of the loophole, they need to resign/extend existing players.
    Who would you extend?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

To take advantage of the loophole, they need to resign/extend existing players.
    Who would you extend?

=Z=
    AD to a lifetime Contract ;D

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

That number would have looked considerably different had we upgraded the DE position with either Justin Smith or Antwan Odom.. Now hopefully we can get a very good pass rushing DE in the draft.. I wouldn't mind Harvey, Merling, or Groves to be honest with you..

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    That number would have looked considerably different had we upgraded the DE position with either Justin Smith or Antwan Odom.. Now hopefully we can get a very good pass rushing DE in the draft.. I wouldn't mind Harvey, Merling, or Groves to be honest with you..
    I think that cap space was reserved with the intention of having the $$$ to upgrade at DE.
    But it didn't happen, and it leaves in a good spot once again in relation to the cap.
    Seriously, RB has got to be one of the best money guys in the business.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"Garland" wrote:

The $15 million figure is probably a little high.
    With $19 million left, we have to allocate about $4.5-5 million on draft picks, as was mentioned.
    That alone puts us below the $15 million mark.
    We also might sign additional free agents (Derrick Pope and Nathan Jones are apparently the most recent visits).
    Just about anybody you bring in is going to cost you about $1 million/year against the cap, and a defensive end might be 2 or 3 times that.
    Then you add in a safety net you like to keep for the entire season of around $2-4 million to sign a replacement in the event of injury, and I think $10 million is a more likely figure to carry forward into next year.

Who I'd like to extend to get that $10 million, I don't know.
    Sharper is a candidate because he's in the last year of his contract, but his age may mean he's not part of the plans.
    I think Udeze is in the last year of his contract, and I don't believe he will be a restricted free agent, but his health and future in football is a question mark.

What may be an interesting subplot with this whole incentives deal is what happens to teams with massive amounts of cap room left.
    For example the Bucs had about $43 million of cap space as of March 10 (link).
    What happens when they don't come close to the minimum salary cap number (around $99 million, or about $17 million less than the cap)?
    It's one thing to use this little trick to open up cap space, but it's kind of another thing to use it to get around paying the players their bargained for percentage of the revenues.
    Players/the union could be a little upset.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Hmmmmm, who could the get a deal done with?

Possibly thier starting QB?
    If by luck or my prayers are answered and TJ has a good year this year I would expect they would try to extend his 4 year contract somehow.

Probably not in the area of Romo's numbers but I be that would be a good benchmark if they decide to get something done.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mjuaire is offline Rookie

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:

The $15 million figure is probably a little high.
    With $19 million left, we have to allocate about $4.5-5 million on draft picks, as was mentioned.
    That alone puts us below the $15 million mark.
    We also might sign additional free agents (Derrick Pope and Nathan Jones are apparently the most recent visits).
    Just about anybody you bring in is going to cost you about $1 million/year against the cap, and a defensive end might be 2 or 3 times that.
    Then you add in a safety net you like to keep for the entire season of around $2-4 million to sign a replacement in the event of injury, and I think $10 million is a more likely figure to carry forward into next year.

Who I'd like to extend to get that $10 million, I don't know.
    Sharper is a candidate because he's in the last year of his contract, but his age may mean he's not part of the plans.
    I think Udeze is in the last year of his contract, and I don't believe he will be a restricted free agent, but his health and future in football is a question mark.

What may be an interesting subplot with this whole incentives deal is what happens to teams with massive amounts of cap room left.
    For example the Bucs had about $43 million of cap space as of March 10 (link).
    What happens when they don't come close to the minimum salary cap number (around $99 million, or about $17 million less than the cap)?
    It's one thing to use this little trick to open up cap space, but it's kind of another thing to use it to get around paying the players their bargained for percentage of the revenues.
    Players/the union could be a little upset.
    Very interesting points.
    Especially after reading the article I read bout the CBA this morning on espn.com.
    It seems there are certainly issues with many owners not wanting to spend the money they signed to.
    Tampa would seem to be in that group of
    "small market owners"
    Obviously that is a topic for a new thread but the questions should be raised.
    I have no idea what will happen but it doesn't look too good in Tampa's case and doesn't send a good message.

I also love RB, he is a straight player with that salary cap.
    It always seems we have a nice amount of money to upgrade and I think that's the idea if you're doing it right.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

If by luck or my prayers are answered and TJ has a good year this year I would expect they would try to extend his 4 year contract somehow.

I'm not holding my breath on that one.. ;D If he fails this year, he will have no more excuses.. It will be his third year in the league, third year in the same system, second year as a starter, and now has a legit deep threat in Berrian here.. If he plays again next season like he did this past season, then he needs to go..

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I'm not holding my breath on that one.. ;D If he fails this year, he will have no more excuses.. It will be his third year in the league, third year in the same system, second year as a starter, and now has a legit deep threat in Berrian here.. If he plays again next season like he did this past season, then he needs to go..
    And if he doesn't fail this year......... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast