Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: With the 17th pick of the 2008 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Looks like those draft guru's don't have them drafting the OL you want.

(Sorry, couldn't let that slide ;D)

DraftInsiders.com – Frank Coyle

A new player appears on the list as Coyle sees offensive tackle Chris Williams going to the Vikings at #17. Coyle says the offensive tackle pool is deep this year and the Vikings could dip into it early.
    :P
    VANDY ALUM!
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Looks like those draft guru's don't have them drafting the OL you want.

(Sorry, couldn't let that slide ;D)

A new player appears on the list as Coyle sees offensive tackle Chris Williams going to the Vikings at #17. Coyle says the offensive tackle pool is deep this year and the Vikings could dip into it early.
    :P
    VANDY ALUM!
    Even though I like messing about with Singer and the OL issue, I actually have him, Nicks and Baker as possible candidates early depending on who is avail when we pick in rounds 1, 2 and 3.
    I believe all could line up next to Hutch and fill in for McKinnie during his suspension if needed.

Of course we would have to keep a TE over there at times as well, which I hoped we would get away from a bit this year.
    :'(
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

OK, I need to admit something. Up until now I have been going on pure instinct in regards to the draft. I just started doing actual research today. I'm going to use the same site for all of my draft info, and that is now what I'll base my opinions off of.

Also, I don't dabble with what we need to do on day two. It's unpredictable and a waste of time. So let's begin.

We have four picks on day one and four needs IMO. We need a QB to be a plan B if TJ doesn't work out. We need a dynamic pass-rushing DE. We need an OT who can step in immediately in Mckinnie's absence. We need a S to groom into a starting role when Sharper throws in the towel.

QB - "We need a QB to be a plan B if TJ doesn't work out." If you agree with that statement, then you must also agree that the rookie must have a high level of experience, be football-smart, and must posess leadership qualities. Basically he has to come NFL-ready (although its impossible to predict that in any QB), and definitely we cannot afford to draft another project, so no I don't agree with waiting until the 3rd round and drafting Colt Brennan.

There are three QBs that I think fit that description. Matt Ryan, Brian Brohm, and Chad Henne. To get Matt Ryan we need to trade up into at least the top 10. To get Brian Brohm, we could grab him at #17, or maybe trade back up into the early second round. Chad Henne should be there waiting for us at #47.

My pick: Brian Brohm

DE - "We need a dynamic pass rushing DE." The only guy close to a dynamic pass rusher in this draft is Gholston. Out of our range, and not worth trading up for. I see Merling as a guy who has great pass rushing technique, but lacks burst. Harvey on the other hand, has a great first step but lacks technique. I'm split on the issue. If we get one of these guys at #17, I wouldn't complain. Groves or Campbell might be great picks at #47, but I don't see them giving us the dynamic pass rush that we need.

My Pick: Derrick Harvey

OT - "We need an OT who can step in immediately in Mckinnie's absence." Are we going to find one of those in the second round? I doubt it. We simply have to hope one of the top 4 fall to us, reach for Cherilus at #17, or settle for Nicks at #47. Trading down to grab Cherilus might be a good call, giving us an extra pick in round two.

My pick: Chris Williams

S - "We need a S to groom into a starting role when Sharper throws in the towel." Ahh, finally a need we can address in the third round. I'm not picky about this one. That being said, this is a thin draft for safeties. We could wait until day two to address this need, but I'd prefer to go with aa Josh Barrett or Tyrell Johnson. Both are good athletes who need to refine their technique.

My pick: Josh Barrett

If we had 3 picks in the first two rounds I'd be happy with our chances to fill all these needs, but we don't. That's why I recommend using our excess of picks to trade up and get that extra guy who can start for us. So much of the talk on the board right now is, "Why get that guy? This position is a bigger need." All of our needs can be addressed between picks #15 and #45. We have the trade bait to get 3 picks in that range. JUST DO IT.

Also, if McKinnie isn't a thug, this draft is a walk in the park for us. Draft Harvey. Trade up. Draft Brohm. See ya on day two.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

very nice v.
    only one i disagree with is cherilus
    and i am being a bit picky with him as he is projected as a rt.

the
    team we will have to watch is atlanta.
    i suspect they will be pretty active.
    hope they arent targetting the same guys as us.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

no one
    because we are prolly gonne trade up/down
    just my opinion

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

mountainviking is online now Team Alumni

Just a reminder

To me, the third is still a big round and worthy of first day consideration
    ;D

Changes for 2008
    The new logo will not be the only change at the 2008 Draft. Only two rounds will take place during the first day, changing from three in previous years. The draft will also start at 3:00 p.m. US EDT, after starting at noon in previous years. Limits in the amount of time a team has to make a selection have also changed: the first round has been reduced from fifteen minutes to ten, and the second round was reduced from ten minutes to seven. The second day will begin at 10:00 a.m. US EDT, for the remaining five rounds with no changes to the five-minute selection time limit.[3]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft#Changes_for_2008

Nice analysis on your choices V.
    Too bad we'll only be able to land one of the top three...those guys are all likely first rounders.
    Totally agree on McKinnie making this harder on us...that OT need throws a major wrench in how I saw this going down too.
    Instead of possibly moving up for a major player, I now totally think we should back off and fill more holes with round 2 picks.
    OT is a highly thought of class this year, but there seems to be a big need at that position throughout the league...same with QB.
    Those positions will be pretty picked over by round 3 by my guess.

That might make it hard to land a "dynamic" pass rushing DE...specially since, as mentioned, the best will be gone by 17.
    On the other hand, IMHO, there is a chance we already have that guy in Robison or Edwards, about to break out this year.
    Hopefully both

So, I'm starting to think that need has been pushed back...depth at LDE is still needed, but could probably be had in the third...or with a two position guy like Merling or Laws, possibly in the 2nd.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"Marrdro" wrote:
    very nice v.

the

;D
    How's this package?
    McKinnie and our first for Atlanta's 3 second round picks.
    According to the value chart, their later 2nds equal our first, so that's kind of a wash with McKinnie getting us the third pick of the 2nd round.
    Four picks in round 2 and 2 in round 3 would put some talent at our needs...and leave the rest for moving about or even setting us up for next year...maybe a needy team like MIA would give us a higher pick next year for a bunch of late picks now..."I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today?"
    ;D

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    very nice v.

the
    ;D
    I heard they're scouting the local prison systems...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Mock Madness 3.0[/size]

3/26/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

Who will be there for the Vikings at pick #17? Will Minnesota select an offensive player or will they instead choose to fortify their defense?...

If by some small miracle Williams gets to 17 then the Vikes would be crazy not to at least entertain the idea of picking him.

I would love to see how his mock went to see who took what that got Williams that far down.

:
    I think OT is kind of like QB in that this draft pool is viewed as deep, and most teams have multiple needs, so although there is tons of need at OT, many of them may wait til later to grab one.
    Teams like CAR and DET could go OL, but could just as easily go RB or defense.
    CHI needs OL but might go Sweed or Kelly...they can't possibly be counting on Booker to replace Berrian and Moose!!?
    NE and the Jets might go there, but need pass rush and/or CB help.
    Hell even Jake Long could go No.1 or 2 or fall to KC at 5.

When they do start flying off the board, there may be a run on them.
    Should be an interesting draft.
    Only one more month of rampant wild speculation to go
    ;D

"mountainviking" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Mock Madness 3.0[/size]

3/26/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

Who will be there for the Vikings at pick #17? Will Minnesota select an offensive player or will they instead choose to fortify their defense?...

If by some small miracle Williams gets to 17 then the Vikes would be crazy not to at least entertain the idea of picking him.

I would love to see how his mock went to see who took what that got Williams that far down.

:
    I think OT is kind of like QB in that this draft pool is viewed as deep, and most teams have multiple needs, so although there is tons of need at OT, many of them may wait til later to grab one.
    Teams like CAR and DET could go OL, but could just as easily go RB or defense.
    CHI needs OL but might go Sweed or Kelly...they can't possibly be counting on Booker to replace Berrian and Moose!!?
    NE and the Jets might go there, but need pass rush and/or CB help.
    Hell even Jake Long could go No.1 or 2 or fall to KC at 5.

When they do start flying off the board, there may be a run on them.
    Should be an interesting draft.
    Only one more month of rampant wild speculation to go
    ;D
    i do luv this time of year.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast