Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The 12th overall pick has proven value

If you look at the past 10 NFL drafts, you'll see:

. As many Pro Bowlers (five) selected 12th overall as No. 1 overall.
    The 12th overall pick has proven value

Gives a real nice breakdown of each position for the past 10 years in the article with the author coming to the following conclusion.....

So given the choice between the past 10 No. 1s and No. 12s, I took the No. 1s four times, the No. 12s three times and passed three times.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Re: The 12th overall pick has proven value

I've always appreciated Vikings BPA approach for this particular reason. They do understand the value of their picks, sometimes people get upset with our picks (I'm sure everyone wasn't as wowed about AP when he was drafted), but it has served us well IMHO. I just hope we don't reach on a QB or grab someone like Newton in the early first. I think he is a reach, and I'd love to see the guy succeed but I wouldn't want to take the risk on him. I think the QB class is pretty weak and there isn't really a Quarterback who is worthy of a top 10 pick. But because it is the most important position, teams are being somewhat forced to overvalue talent like Blaine Gabbert (possible top 5 pick when in reality he's a Top 15).

May I remind you that there was only one offensive driven team in the NFC/AFC championship games and that was Green Bay. Chicago, New York, and Pittsburgh were all teams that their defense took them as far as they did. I would say Ben is the only Quarterback of the three who plays to "win" the game. When you look at Sanchez and Cutler, they play with a very conservative approach, essentially playing "not to lose the game." By that I mean they play the game to let their defense win and play with a no turnover mindset and a "punting is okay" mindset.

I think its obvious that teams who made a run deep into the playoffs were led by very good defenses and I think we may have seen 4 of the Top 5 defenses in the league in those NFC/AFC championship games. Also look at why the Saints didn't make a run this year. Brees, although having a down year still led on of the best offenses in the league, only thing changed was that defense who didn't play as well throughout the year and allowed 40+ points to Seattle. Wasn't the same defense we saw last year NFC championship game which forced I want to say 5 turnovers and gave Favre the beating of his life now was it?!

So we have the 12th pick... So maybe we're not going to have that QB of the future standing right in front of us and its going to be frustrating for all of us. But if you can't get a QB, get a Defense that can shut down your opponent's QB, simple.
    None

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1090998
    I would say Ben is the only Quarterback of the three who plays to "win" the game. When you look at Sanchez and Cutler, they play with a very conservative approach, essentially playing "not to lose the game." By that I mean they play the game to let their defense win and play with a no turnover mindset and a "punting is okay" mindset.
    Cutler? Seriously?

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Cutler just plain old sucks... My point being is that the QB's during those games weren't exactly the best in the league. I even think Ben can be inconsistent. I was just emphasizing the point of how good those winning teams' defenses were.
    None