Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    KevinK is offline Starter

Re: 10 Things The Draft Revealed

What an impressive post. Great Job and love the positive attitude! The only part of this that Im unsure is Chase Johnson.
    But its not like I know enough to have a valid opinion about the guy. LOL

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:
    The original post says give Tarvaris another full year to "prove himself", but then in the next sentence says, "John David Booty " is not the long-term answer to this franchise.

Huh ?

So your logic is: a I-AA QB gets 2+ years to prove himself, but I am supposed to immediately write off a QB who started at USC, one of the best schools in the country (where Leinart and Caron Palmer went), without giving him his snaps in the NFL ???

WTF ?

(BTW, I heard the Falcons GM today on ESPN radio, saying he will let all his 4 QBs compete for the starting job. Would it be o.k. with you if we did that too ? I completely am baffled by anyone who says Tarvaris has this job locked down without proving it in camp. I also don't get that entire philosophy. Let them compete for the starting position. Can you really honestly say that if Booty comes in and reads the defense better and has better decision-making and better throws, and better mechanics than Tarvaris, we would sit him in favor of Tarvaris ?).

I personally wouldn't mind us using all three QBs. For instance, I could see scenarios in the regular season (example: we are up by 17 vs. the Lions, and we put Booty in for a while. Or, the defense is spreading itself out in max protect, and we put Tarvaris in to run for the first, etc. Why not do that ? Why does it have to be one guy ? Why not "platoon" them ? I mean, I don't see the downside to that.).
    First off, whether they compete for the job or not BOOTY is a rookie and there's a HUGE fat chance that he reads defenses better at this point that TJ... VERY FAT CHANCE!!!

Additionally, if Booty is as good as you say he is, why the heck did he go in the 5th round????
    BC he's a developmental prospect.. not saying he can't play, but it's unlikely he will or will be better than TJ let alone Gus Frerotte...

WE DID NOT DRAFT HIM TO REPLACE TJ BUT TO ARGUABLY REPLACE THIGPEN.. if we stil had thigpen i doubt BoOTy woulda even been drafted!!

Second, our QB situation is better than Atlanta's plus, they needed a face of the franchise, have a new coach, so of course yur gonna let them compete!! They took him third overall!.. it buys them time in their current jobs and behooves them in that situation to start him!!..

Additionally, if your not gonna let him compete.. then you don't pass on a Glenn Dorsey!!.. that's just assinine!!!..

and to your other post, you don't play a platoon at QB in the NFL... what kinda message are you sending to you football team to do that... it messes up chemistry and the flow of the offense.. We ARE NOT THE CARDINALS OR THE FLORIDA GATORS, this is the NFL, if they did that then they'd probably be fired for doing something like that.. Arizona was in a unique situation of drafting a top 10 QB who was supposed to be good but couldn't cut it..... that's why they went with the committee approach and were arguably relieved when Leinhart got hurt!!

Sorry man, but that committee approach is not gonna work and is DUMB!!!.. besides, if they did go with a committee approach, they it's be with TJ and Frerotte.. not Booty!!!!

"StillPurple" wrote:
    The original post says give Tarvaris another full year to "prove himself", but then in the next sentence says, "John David Booty " is not the long-term answer to this franchise.

Huh ?

So your logic is: a I-AA QB gets 2+ years to prove himself, but I am supposed to immediately write off a QB who started at USC, one of the best schools in the country (where Leinart and Caron Palmer went), without giving him his snaps in the NFL ???

WTF ?

(BTW, I heard the Falcons GM today on ESPN radio, saying he will let all his 4 QBs compete for the starting job. Would it be o.k. with you if we did that too ? I completely am baffled by anyone who says Tarvaris has this job locked down without proving it in camp. I also don't get that entire philosophy. Let them compete for the starting position. Can you really honestly say that if Booty comes in and reads the defense better and has better decision-making and better throws, and better mechanics than Tarvaris, we would sit him in favor of Tarvaris ?).

I personally wouldn't mind us using all three QBs. For instance, I could see scenarios in the regular season (example: we are up by 17 vs. the Lions, and we put Booty in for a while. Or, the defense is spreading itself out in max protect, and we put Tarvaris in to run for the first, etc. Why not do that ? Why does it have to be one guy ? Why not "platoon" them ? I mean, I don't see the downside to that.).
    BTW, college means nothing at the next level!!!... sorry!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ?

WTF ?

First off, whether they compete for the job or not BOOTY is a rookie and there's a HUGE fat chance that he reads defenses better at this point that TJ... VERY FAT CHANCE!!!

Additionally, if Booty is as good as you say he is, why the heck did he go in the 5th round????
    BC he's a developmental prospect.. not saying he can't play, but it's unlikely he will or will be better than TJ let alone Gus Frerotte...

WE DID NOT DRAFT HIM TO REPLACE TJ BUT TO ARGUABLY REPLACE THIGPEN.. if we stil had thigpen i doubt BoOTy woulda even been drafted!!

Second, our QB situation is better than Atlanta's plus, they needed a face of the franchise, have a new coach, so of course yur gonna let them compete!! They took him third overall!.. it buys them time in their current jobs and behooves them in that situation to start him!!..

Additionally, if your not gonna let him compete.. then you don't pass on a Glenn Dorsey!!.. that's just assinine!!!..

and to your other post, you don't play a platoon at QB in the NFL... what kinda message are you sending to you football team to do that... it messes up chemistry and the flow of the offense.. We ARE NOT THE CARDINALS OR THE FLORIDA GATORS, this is the NFL, if they did that then they'd probably be fired for doing something like that.. Arizona was in a unique situation of drafting a top 10 QB who was supposed to be good but couldn't cut it..... that's why they went with the committee approach and were arguably relieved when Leinhart got hurt!!

Sorry man, but that committee approach is not gonna work and is DUMB!!!.. besides, if they did go with a committee approach, they it's be with TJ and Frerotte.. not Booty!!!!
    Though I highly doubt that Booty is ready, never say never.
    Both Tom Brady and Ben Roethisberger would dispute the fact that experience wins over natural ability.
    IF Booty somehow shows that he is better than TJack in training camp, then the Vikings DO have to consider whether to start him or not.
    That being said, I doubt that he will....but remember, Booty was exposed to the West Coast offense at USC...and was considered the more accurate passer among the last few USC QBs (Booty, Leinart and Cassel).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ?

WTF ?

Both Tom Brady and Ben Roethisberger would dispute the fact that experience wins over natural ability.
    IF Booty somehow shows that he is better than TJack in training camp, then the Vikings DO have to consider whether to start him or not.
    That being said, I doubt that he will....but remember, Booty was exposed to the West Coast offense at USC...and was considered the more accurate passer among the last few USC QBs (Booty, Leinart and Cassel).
    Booty would have to have one heck of a preseason.
    As much as I question T-Jack's future we've already put two years veting the guy and it would take a serious change for us to not see if he's our guy in his third season.
    The only way I want to see Gus or Booty playing this year is if T-Jack has a sub 70 QB rating after week 8-9.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ?

WTF ?

I agree with yu.. but i can't see booty winning the starting job in training camp... I think he's an excellent pick up actually!!..

However, i don't see a 5th round pick doing anything of the matter!!!.. Rothlesberger was on a vet team and is an exception to the rule when it comes to a QB being successful in his first year...

Even BRADY sat the bench his first year.. and didn't play until his second year...

So while im not saying it can't be done.. don't get me wrong... it's highly unlikely... especially for a 5th round pick!!

If we still had Brad Johnson starting, I'd be all for it...

but lemme ask you another question..

THe knock on Booty is his arm strength... with that said, accurate or not...

starting him would arguably nullify our biggest pick up in the offseason.. he wouldn't be able to throw the deep ball to Berrian, thus, teams putting 8-9 men in the box all over again... and against a young QB!!..

just a thought!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ?

WTF ?

I agree with yu.. but i can't see booty winning the starting job in training camp... I think he's an excellent pick up actually!!..

However, i don't see a 5th round pick doing anything of the matter!!!.. Rothlesberger was on a vet team and is an exception to the rule when it comes to a QB being successful in his first year...

Even BRADY sat the bench his first year.. and didn't play until his second year...

So while im not saying it can't be done.. don't get me wrong... it's highly unlikely... especially for a 5th round pick!!

starting him would arguably nullify our biggest pick up in the offseason.. he wouldn't be able to throw the deep ball to Berrian, thus, teams putting 8-9 men in the box all over again... and against a young QB!!..

just a thought!
    The odds of Booty starting the season are not great, but Tj has a history of injuries that keep him out of games. the real interesting thing is going to be whether he progresses to the point that he goes in instead of Gus when TJ goes down.

The situation Booty would be in is not all that different from what Rothlisberger stepped into in Pitt his rookie year. A great defense, a strong running game and a decent WR set. Of course they had WR's who were more proven and established in their system than ours are at this point but our running game is better than theirs was.

he will be a good insurance policy in case TJ has another year where he can't play every game.

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ?

WTF ?

just a thought!
    True...but what is "arm strength"?
    Booty might be able to throw the ball 65 yards instead of 70.
    No big deal in the WCO.
    Just give the man a chance.
    That being said, I think that TJack will come out strong this offseason, making this whole debate moot.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

Huh ?

WTF ?

just a thought!
    No big deal in the WCO.
    That being said, I think that TJack will come out strong this offseason, making this whole debate moot.
    Tom Brady was supposed to have a noodle arm, but I don't think Moss noticed last season.(Sorry for the Pats reference Caj, but it's a good comparison.)

"Schutz" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    [quote author=StillPurple link=topic=44523.msg771094#msg771094 date=1209414938]

Huh ?

WTF ?

just a thought!
    No big deal in the WCO.
    Tom Brady was supposed to have a noodle arm, but I don't think Moss noticed last season.(Sorry for the Pats reference Caj, but it's a good comparison.)
    [/quote]

That's OK...I don't have to like the Pats to admit that Brady is a good QB.
    I just don't need people on a VIKINGS board praising a team that I don't like INCESSANTLY.
    Occasional references to make a point are fine...heck, I cited Brady in the Booty thread at least twice today to make my point regarding Booty's chances of getting playing time right away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast