QB Josh Johnson
    WR Steve Johnson
    SS Bobbie Williams
    C/G Fernando Velasco
    DE Eric Foster

That would be ideal IMO.
    change the WR selection and u got it lol
    To another WR or a different position?
    If there is a better guy there, I would take him in a heartbeat.
    I think we draft for value at every pick this season.
    different position, probably DT

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Re: 08 season (who should we draft?)

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    OT Duane Brown
    QB Josh Johnson
    WR Steve Johnson
    SS Bobbie Williams
    C/G Fernando Velasco
    DE Eric Foster

That would be ideal IMO.
    change the WR selection and u got it lol
    To another WR or a different position?
    If there is a better guy there, I would take him in a heartbeat.
    I think we draft for value at every pick this season.
    different position, probably DT
    I don't know about drafting a DT unless we think they are a special player.
    We have 5 on the roster right now including 2 pro-bowlers.
    Evans, Wyms, and K. Allen will battle it out for PT/a roster spot.
    I think we need more talent at the WR position.
    There are still question marks at WR if you ask me.
    I hope that AA turns out to be a beast, and Wade is reliable, but if we can bring in somebody to compete w/ those 2 and Fergy, it would make our chance of having a solid corps even better.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Do you really think that we're going to waste a 2nd on a WR when there are more pressing needs, such as Who's going to play LT for the weeks that McKinney is gone?
    I think OT should be our #1 priority.
    What if McKinney F's up again and is gone for the season, who will play?

QB should not be taken early IMO unless one of the top guys slips to the 4th round (unlikely)
    Its just not as pressing of a need, and all it does for us is gives us another project.
    no 4th round qb will step up day 1 and start winning games for us.

I don't see us taking TE for the following reasons:
    Shiancoe
    Kleinsasser
    Mills
    Dugan

Safety should be more of a priority, since Sharper is on the downside of his career, he won't be around for too many more years, then who do we play? Frampton??
    not unless he proves this season he can really play.

The only pick of your i potentially agree with is taking a C in the 7th.
    Do you think a rookie LT is going to come in and start? No... IF Mac is suspended, then one of the Tackles on our roster is going to take his place.
    If I remember correctly Indy started a rookie LT last year and he did fine and the Packers did it the year before and neither were picked that high in the draft. Joe Thomas and D Brickashaw Ferguson were high picks that started their rookie seasons in the last 2 years.

So it can be done. The question is, can our FO find those guys and can the coaches get them ready?
    YUP.
    Cook, McCauley both started last year and were found by the FO.
    YUP.
    They did it with Cook last year.

Why is it so hard for everyone to grasp that we have a couple of young guys sitting on the bench already that could fill this role.

Sure we have to bring in more.
    Only makes sense, but it also make sense that they should/could step in this year if called upon.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kupietz" wrote:
    I think we're all in agreement that the vikings have had probably one of the most successful offseasons in history this year.
    They have been able to fill nearly every gaping hole that we've had through FAs and trades. We've had solid pick-ups with Berrian, Boulware, Frerotte, Sapp, and Allen.
    I also expect a big season out of our receiving core with Wade, Rice, Shiancoe, etc.
    But to do that TJack has to step-up and have a stellar year.
    But there are still some things that the vikes need... OT, CB, QB.

QB: To be honest, our QBs are fairly decent, but none of them are SOLID and are capable of taking this team all the way.
    Don't get me wrong I love TJack, but i just hate waiting around for him to get better, and the vikes are set up to win now. I don't think they should use their first pick (47) on a QB, but if Michigan's Chad Henne falls there, he would definitely be hard to pass-up.
    Hawaii's Colt Brennan, i would love to see him fall to the 4th or 5th, or even possibly the 6th round and be there for the vikes to pick-up, but I honestly have no clue where he will get picked-up (due to his recent hip surgery), would love to see him wearing the purple and gold though.

OT: As usual, the vikings have a solid offensive line, but one more solid OT would definitely go a long ways for us this year Here are a couple of guys that might still be around in the 2nd that i would like to see on the line for the vikes:
    Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh; Duane Brown, VT. Gosder Cherilus, Boston College; Sam Baker, USC: Carl Nicks, Nebraska

CB: well i think we finally have a good secondary with Sharper and Boulware in the back, and Winfield and Griffin on the corners, we also picked-up Sapp from KC this year who will definitely help out, but we still need another shutdown guy for some depth. i mean there is no way we can go somewhere this year if we have a defense that ranks 28th in pass defense again.

DE: GREAT PICK-UP with Allen, but that is still only one side of the line.
    Having Allen will help with the pass defense, and make our rush defense even better than it already is, but i would look for the vikes to pick another DE in one of the late rounds. I'm sure Erasmus will be hurt by the end of the first pre-season game and i don't think that Kenechi will be playing this year because of his medical situation.
    Robison is tough but we could do better. Not at all worried about a strong run stopper, but we really need another good rushing DE opposite Allen to help out our secondary with the pass defense.

How do you guys think we should use our one pick in the first 3 rounds?????
    Welcome to the site my friend. One of the best first posts I've seen but I do have a few comments (I always do by the way
    ;D).

QB.
    So you can't wait for TJ to mature but you want to go ahead and draft another QB and think he will be NFL ready.
    Truth be told, with the exeption of Ryan (and he will struggle as well) none of these cats coming out are gonna be more ready this year than TJ. He has had 2 years of coaching at the NFL level.
    He got the experience he needed last year and he will have had the whole offseason to go over that game tape with the coaches.

Secondary.
    I think Williams will be the starter next to Sharper. Also we run a cover 2 defense that really doesn't utilize a "shutdown" type of corner.
    Infact those guys are sometimes a limitation.
    Gordon and McCauley, although they made some rookie mistakes, seem to be up and comers and will provide decent depth behind our starters.

Additionally, in the cover 2 scheme, if you have to augment your DL with LB's to get pressure on the the QB, you will see your CB's get eaten alive, regardless of how good they are.
    JA fixes that problem for us.
    Look to see our LB's dropping into short zones to take away the quick slants like the scheme dictates.

DE.
    Robison got 4.5 sacks as a rookie.
    I really believe he will get a few more than that this year.
    Additionally, JA brings a special talent to the team and that is his ability to play all up and down the line.
    Watch to see him move around a bit (Pre-snap) which will confuse the C/QB line calls allowing for mismatches/misques that will results in more sacks by all as the team tries to account for JA.

Again, very nice first post my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Do you really think that we're going to waste a 2nd on a WR when there are more pressing needs, such as Who's going to play LT for the weeks that McKinney is gone?
    I think OT should be our #1 priority.
    What if McKinney F's up again and is gone for the season, who will play?

QB should not be taken early IMO unless one of the top guys slips to the 4th round (unlikely)
    Its just not as pressing of a need, and all it does for us is gives us another project.
    no 4th round qb will step up day 1 and start winning games for us.

I don't see us taking TE for the following reasons:
    Shiancoe
    Kleinsasser
    Mills
    Dugan

Safety should be more of a priority, since Sharper is on the downside of his career, he won't be around for too many more years, then who do we play? Frampton??
    not unless he proves this season he can really play.

The only pick of your i potentially agree with is taking a C in the 7th.
    Do you think a rookie LT is going to come in and start? No... IF Mac is suspended, then one of the Tackles on our roster is going to take his place.
    If I remember correctly Indy started a rookie LT last year and he did fine and the Packers did it the year before and neither were picked that high in the draft. Joe Thomas and D Brickashaw Ferguson were high picks that started their rookie seasons in the last 2 years.

So it can be done. The question is, can our FO find those guys and can the coaches get them ready?
    YUP.
    Cook, McCauley both started last year and were found by the FO.
    YUP.
    They did it with Cook last year.

Why is it so hard for everyone to grasp that we have a couple of young guys sitting on the bench already that could fill this role.

Sure we have to bring in more.
    Only makes sense, but it also make sense that they should/could step in this year if called upon.
    Nope

Cook was not ready last year. He got beaten like a rag doll for most of the year until they decided to keep a TE or a FB next to him for support

Why is it hard to grasp that when you are not drunk on the purple kool aid and wearing the purple shades that some of these things are easier to see? ;D

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123