Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '03 Draft

Re: '03 Draft

Yep, aj would help alot....but i think it is too costly to move up...and like said earlier, this draft has soo much depth that these picks are gonna help a ton! :lol:

vikingsfan42 is offline Training Camp

"ThePurpleCow" wrote:
    If we were to move up I would rather us take AJ Hawk,or Super Mario.
    I agree

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

If our QB is there trade up if not use the picks for our holes.

SnoSho is offline Rookie

I seriously hope they just hold pat, Leinart looked good but as someone else said and I hadn't thought about nearly everyone from his team is NFL bound, can't say that about the teams they played. Young could be great or he could be as bad at reading D as some say. Cutler could be gone when 17 rolls around.
    One guy vs filling gaps with 5 day one picks, heck 3 of the top 51 picks thats too much talent to give up for one guy unless he's that final part you need. We don't know how our running backs will be this year, don't know if EJ or any of the Linebackers will pan out, need another safety, our punter is coming back off a knee injury, Smoot was hurt and Brian Williams is gone, Matt Birkis great but he's been down off an on for 2 years maybe he's 100% maybe not, don't know how the other side of the O line will pan out.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"SnoSho" wrote:
    I seriously hope they just hold pat, Leinart looked good but as someone else said and I hadn't thought about nearly everyone from his team is NFL bound, can't say that about the teams they played. Young could be great or he could be as bad at reading D as some say. Cutler could be gone when 17 rolls around.
    One guy vs filling gaps with 5 day one picks, heck 3 of the top 51 picks thats too much talent to give up for one guy unless he's that final part you need. We don't know how our running backs will be this year, don't know if EJ or any of the Linebackers will pan out, need another safety, our punter is coming back off a knee injury, Smoot was hurt and Brian Williams is gone, Matt Birkis great but he's been down off an on for 2 years maybe he's 100% maybe not, don't know how the other side of the O line will pan out.
    I pretty much agree with all of this. I think trading up would be a mistake considering all the picks we'd have to give up. It'd be especially wrong this year, considering how deep this draft is compared to other years.

We would be giving up potentially 3 starters to get one person who may or may not be a good leader of the team. I think it's too much of a risk.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:
    Not all great QBs come in round 1, to many 1st round QB busts to name them! But you do not have to draft a QB in the 1st round to get a great player.

Just a few QBs not drafted in the 1st round. Tom Brady, Brett Favre & Joe Montana!
    Yeah, but you can't gamble your future on a 6th round pick. A QB with first round talent is much less risky than a 7th round talent.
    I never said the Vikes would take a QB in the 6th round, I said not all great QBs are taken in the 1st round. They could take a QB in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round and he could be a starter for the next 10 years, he could be a bust and be off the team in 2 years. But it does not matter which round a QB is taken in as to if he will be a good QB in the NFL.

2002 Joey Harrington, 3rd pick overall. looks like a bust!
    2002 Patrick Ramsey, 1st round pick. Traded last week to the Jets for a 6th round pick.

2001 Drew Brees, 2nd round pick. This off season was more wanted then Daunte.

2000 Marc Bulger, 6th round pick (168 overall), starting QB for the Rams
    2000 Spergon Wynn, 6th Round pick (183 overall), We know Spergon
    2000 Tom Brady, 6th round pick (199 overall), 3 superbowl rings

We get Spergon when we could have had Brady!

1999 Tim Couch, 1st pick in draft (can't miss QB). Bust out of the NFL!
    1999 Donavan McNabb, 2nd pick in draft, 4 NFC title games 1 SuperBowl apperance
    1999 Akili Smith, 3rd pick in Draft, (some had him as the best QB in draft), Bust out of the NFL
    1999 Daunte, 11th pick overall, has had a good career, 1 NFC title game!
    1999 Cade McNown, 12th pick in 1st round, Bust!
    1999 Aaron Brooks, 4th round pick (131 overall), has had an up and down career but signed by Oakland and will be their starter next year. has plenty of talent, and can succeed in right situation.

1998 Ryan Leaf, 2nd pick 1st round (can't miss QB). Bust out of the NFL!
    1998 Matt Hasselbeck, 6th round pick (187 overall). In Superbowl 2 months ago.

Just because a QB is thought to be can't miss 1st round pick, does not make him a sure thing!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12