Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '03 Draft

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

'03 Draft

Does anyone remember the '03 draft when the New York Jets traded their 2 first rounders [17 and 18] to the Arizona Cardinals for their 4th overall pick? This is almost the same exact scenario, except we don't have two back-to-back first rounders. We do, however, have 5 first day picks to work with here.

Just bringing that up for all the people who believe that our first rounder this year and a first next year and maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder won't be enough to trade into the top 5 or 10, so we can have a legitimate shot at drafting Leinart or Cutler.

Just a thought.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: '03 Draft

Interesting thoughts, although I just don't think that the Vikings are going to be willing to trade up - I think they'd rather have 5 day-one picks than one big superstar.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

We do have a lot of trade power, which is nice. At least now we're not stuck, we can definately move up if we want to, or we can stay put.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Interesting thoughts, although I just don't think that the Vikings are going to be willing to trade up - I think they'd rather have 5 day-one picks than one big superstar.
    I rather have a better TEAM than with one superstar I guess...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    I rather have a better TEAM than with one superstar I guess...
    I agree, but we are going to need a QB for the future, and we have to make sure he's good.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

I would exactly define the best QB in NCAA history "your everyday superstar", but a foundation for the future of the new world order in Vikings football. I do believe Matt Leinart is a better version of Brad Johnson. ML showed poise and accuracy, not a huge arm but good enough, perfect for the WC offense. But with all that said I am unsure if he is worth what it would take to move up to #2. On Profootballtalk.com i found the point sheet. It tells how much all the picks are worth. So one can figure how much it would take to move up in the draft. the #2 pick is worth i believe 2600 and our #17 is worth 950. It starts dropping considerably 2 and 3rd rounds. the good news is we have 2 2nd rounders and probably 2 3rd roundes this year. I'm not sure haow they calculate next years pick.
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Not all great QBs come in round 1, to many 1st round QB busts to name them! But you do not have to draft a QB in the 1st round to get a great player.

Just a few QBs not drafted in the 1st round. Tom Brady, Brett Favre & Joe Montana!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Not all great QBs come in round 1, to many 1st round QB busts to name them! But you do not have to draft a QB in the 1st round to get a great player.

Just a few QBs not drafted in the 1st round. Tom Brady, Brett Favre & Joe Montana!
    Yeah, but you can't gamble your future on a 6th round pick. A QB with first round talent is much less risky than a 7th round talent.

sirweeze is offline Starter

I seriously hope they don't trade up. This draft has too much talent to be had.

If we were to move up I would rather us take AJ Hawk,or Super Mario.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast