Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with ThorSPL ...

PP.O name:
    ThorSPL

Ryan Thorson

Current City: Baton Rouge, LA
    Hometown:
    Austin, MN
    About to do my internship for Clinical Psychology

1) How did you choose your screen name? I was always called Thor once high school rolled around, even more so in college… BUT it’s fairly common for screen names.
    During my first couple of years of college I got into car audio competitions… SPL was short for “sound pressure level”.
    I added that and had a username that NOBODY else had… plus it’s fun to explain that I have, in fact, broken two windshields with a stereo.

2) ThorSPL, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?
    I grew up in Spamtown… Not a lot going on there, 25,000 legals, about 3,000 or so illegals from what I can gather.
    When I was 8, my older brother died in an accident (he was 10), so I essentially grew up an only child.
    My more distant family (aunts, uncles, cousins) were all in Luverne, MN or up on the Iron Range, where I would spend as much time as I could in the summers.
    I actually almost moved up there to play hockey for Greenway, but couldn’t leave my family….
    Then my Junior year of high school I was put head first into the boards with a crosscheck with 2 seconds left in the period on a deliberate goon shot to get me out of the game… I broke two vertebrae and have one compressed still.
    My dad has his Master’s degree in social work administration and my mother is an LPN.
    When I was 16 the company my dad worked for was bought out (it was Woodvale, then it was REM, and has been bought out since), things went downhill fast, and he ended up starting his own company to compete with them.
    I set up all of their computers and ended up being trained in to work with clients “just in case”… most of our clients have developmental disabilities or mental illnesses of some sort.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such? Let’s see… Hockey, Football, Tennis, and Tae Kwon Do were my sports… clubs, I guess I was in National Honors Society.
    I went to the meeting
    when they inducted me; that was it.
    My grades were always really good, I think I had a 3.9 until I got my driver’s license.
    After that, I probably had a 3.7… I think I ended with a 3.7 or 3.8, but by my Junior year of high school I was taking classes at the local community college to avoid the new attendance policy at the high school… plus I found out I could go to classes 2-3 days per week rather than 5.
    It all made sense… and I got college credits!
    I’d say that growing up, I probably didn’t fit in… got too good of grades to fit in too well with the sports crew (jocks)… my friends actually smoked a LOT of pot but I never did… hell I didn’t even smoke cigarettes… that always blew people away since I think I had the “good kid” persona going on.
    You know, I’d go out on the weekends and drink with the best of them, but the only people who I was out with were close friends so I was safe….
    I also had some friends who were into car stereos (see above), and my old Blazer was kind of a local legend… but I learned a hell of a lot about electronics and it was a blast….

4) What did you do after High School? I had signed up for classes at the University of Minnesota (TC) but the size of the school was a bit more than I liked…. When I scheduled a second “private” tour and they put me on the SAME tour again, I was really REALLY annoyed… they talked about “personalized education” or whatever…. Well on the tour, my mom and I walked by our car; I got in and told her we were leaving.
    I signed up for classes in Mankato (MSU-M) because I’d always had a great time partying there with friends and I knew a friend there… the rest, they say, is history…. Met my fiancé right before I left.

5)What was your first job? Gas-station attendant… followed by Godfather’s Pizza.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings? I grew up with the Vikings…. Every Sunday I would go with my dad to watch the game with some family friends….
    I don’t think I became AS dedicated as I am until I moved to Louisiana… it was a part of home that I really missed….

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.
    The Vikings came to my town and I was able to meet and do autographs with Joey Browner and Scott Studwell…
    However, my dad has a better story.
    He knew some people in Mankato and this was when they did their training camps there…
    He was actually sitting at the bar stool talking to Studwell when the guy next to him just fell off his barstool and was passed out by the time he hit the floor.
    “Hey, meet our new quarterback….” It was Tommy Kramer.

8}How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?
    I was searching for some Vikings news….I found PPO, I lurked for a LONG time, and here I am….

9) What other sports teams do you follow? The Wild, the Gophers hockey and football teams, Twins.. LSU Tigers, Mankato hockey

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?
    I play a lot of video games… I’m a WoW dork actually, I used to play a lot of Counterstrike… but I also love my sports games… Madden, NCAA, and Hockey games.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games? Nope, can’t say I do.

12)Where do you watch Vikings games?
    After one year of watching it at the local Hooters, I did the math and got Sunday Ticket…
    I now watch every game on my 125” screen with a HD projector. BEST investment ever.

13)What is your worst fear?
    That something will happen to my family.
    About 5 years ago we were involved in a head-on car accident (we were doing 70, they were doing 80)… somehow my parents and I lived…

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?
    Computer games, card games, playing some hockey or football, having a beer with my friends….

15) What’s your favorite food?
    Steak/Prime Rib

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.
    I’ve gone to the Caribbean twice on cruises…. St. Thomas is probably my favorite place.
    Otherwise I’ve hopped across over the Mexican border a few times for fun.
    As far as in the states goes, I’ve been to MANY states… I liked Colorado a lot.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?
    I want to leave this continent, go see Europe…
    But also to have a family of my own once Ashley finishes medical school

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be? Minnesota… I’ve spent the last 4 years trying to get back… and I will be there in a year.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?
    Yes… and I will be most likely throwing out a muscle in my back or breaking
    something celebrating

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? I haven’t made it to a tailgate yet, so that hasn’t happened… but I’d just have to go with making some new friends on here who share my passion for the Vikings.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with ThorSPL ...

It has been great chatting with you on Yahoo IM since you have been a member, Thor...and even better now that I know more about you.
    You know that I wish you the best of luck both in Nebraska as well as with your new wifey.
    Those little Vikings fans won't be too far behind if I know you.
    LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Great Interview ThorSPL, I am trying to get back to Minnesota as well

Great read Thor, I really enjoyed learning more about you.

Hockey, Football, Tennis, and Tae Kwon Do were my sports…
    What is your rank?
    Are you still involved?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Good interview Thor.

I lived in Austin for about 6 mos. back in 1987. That during the Cram your spam days with the union and the non union workers really going at it. I never cared for the town but I did get to know a few really good people.

Did you graduate from Austin HS?

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

Great read!
    I grew up in Albert Lea.
    20,000 legals and not so many illegals since our packing plant burned to the ground.
    The Hormel Spam museum is actually pretty cool.
    Hope to meet you at a tailgating session some day!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    Great read Thor, I really enjoyed learning more about you.

Hockey, Football, Tennis, and Tae Kwon Do were my sports…
    What is your rank?
    Are you still involved?
    Thanks, I should do an update actually; I submitted it 6 months ago or so!!

I got up to Blue Belt before other sports took too much of my time.... when I broke my back, I never got back in to it.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Good interview Thor.

I lived in Austin for about 6 mos. back in 1987. That during the Cram your spam days with the union and the non union workers really going at it. I never cared for the town but I did get to know a few really good people.

Did you graduate from Austin HS?
    Class of 98 actually.
    Started out with 404 students, graduated with 247; love that attendance policy!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

"PacNWVike" wrote:
    Great read!
    I grew up in Albert Lea.
    20,000 legals and not so many illegals since our packing plant burned to the ground.
    The Hormel Spam museum is actually pretty cool.
    Hope to meet you at a tailgating session some day!
    I have NEVER done the spam museum.... I'm telling my wife I will never go so that if I ever cave in, I get super duper bonus points for it....

Austin is about 23-25K now, plus a good 5000 illegals, maybe 10....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

So I'm going to update this with more accurate information....

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    PP.O name:
    ThorSPL

Ryan Thorson

Current City: Baton Rouge, LA Omaha, NE
    Hometown:
    Austin, MN
    About to do my internship for Clinical Psychology
    Doing my internship in Clinical Psychology, currently in the Pediatric Psychology unit of the Munroe-Meyer Institute at The University of Nebraska Medical Center; next rotation is the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders.

1) How did you choose your screen name? I was always called Thor once high school rolled around, even more so in college… BUT it’s fairly common for screen names.
    During my first couple of years of college I got into car audio competitions… SPL was short for “sound pressure level”.
    I added that and had a username that NOBODY else had… plus it’s fun to explain that I have, in fact, broken two windshields with a stereo.

2) ThorSPL, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?
    I grew up in Spamtown… Not a lot going on there, 25,000 legals, about 3,000 or so illegals from what I can gather.
    When I was 8, my older brother died in an accident (he was 10), so I essentially grew up an only child.
    My more distant family (aunts, uncles, cousins) were all in Luverne, MN or up on the Iron Range, where I would spend as much time as I could in the summers.
    I actually almost moved up there to play hockey for Greenway, but couldn’t leave my family….
    Then my Junior year of high school I was put head first into the boards with a crosscheck with 2 seconds left in the period on a deliberate goon shot to get me out of the game… I broke two vertebrae and have one compressed still.
    My dad has his Master’s degree in social work administration and my mother is an LPN.
    When I was 16 the company my dad worked for was bought out (it was Woodvale, then it was REM, and has been bought out since), things went downhill fast, and he ended up starting his own company to compete with them.
    I set up all of their computers and ended up being trained in to work with clients “just in case”… most of our clients have developmental disabilities or mental illnesses of some sort.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such? Let’s see… Hockey, Football, Tennis, and Tae Kwon Do were my sports… clubs, I guess I was in National Honors Society.
    I went to the meeting
    when they inducted me; that was it.
    My grades were always really good, I think I had a 3.9 until I got my driver’s license.
    After that, I probably had a 3.7… I think I ended with a 3.7 or 3.8, but by my Junior year of high school I was taking classes at the local community college to avoid the new attendance policy at the high school… plus I found out I could go to classes 2-3 days per week rather than 5.
    It all made sense… and I got college credits!
    I’d say that growing up, I probably didn’t fit in… got too good of grades to fit in too well with the sports crew (jocks)… my friends actually smoked a LOT of pot but I never did… hell I didn’t even smoke cigarettes… that always blew people away since I think I had the “good kid” persona going on.
    You know, I’d go out on the weekends and drink with the best of them, but the only people who I was out with were close friends so I was safe….
    I also had some friends who were into car stereos (see above), and my old Blazer was kind of a local legend… but I learned a hell of a lot about electronics and it was a blast….

4) What did you do after High School? I had signed up for classes at the University of Minnesota (TC) but the size of the school was a bit more than I liked…. When I scheduled a second “private” tour and they put me on the SAME tour again, I was really REALLY annoyed… they talked about “personalized education” or whatever…. Well on the tour, my mom and I walked by our car; I got in and told her we were leaving.
    I signed up for classes in Mankato (MSU-M) because I’d always had a great time partying there with friends and I knew a friend there… the rest, they say, is history…. Met my fiancé right before I left.

We can call her my wife now!

5)What was your first job? Gas-station attendant… followed by Godfather’s Pizza.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings? I grew up with the Vikings…. Every Sunday I would go with my dad to watch the game with some family friends….
    I don’t think I became AS dedicated as I am until I moved to Louisiana… it was a part of home that I really missed….

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.
    The Vikings came to my town and I was able to meet and do autographs with Joey Browner and Scott Studwell…
    However, my dad has a better story.
    He knew some people in Mankato and this was when they did their training camps there…
    He was actually sitting at the bar stool talking to Studwell when the guy next to him just fell off his barstool and was passed out by the time he hit the floor.
    “Hey, meet our new quarterback….” It was Tommy Kramer.

8}How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?
    I was searching for some Vikings news….I found PPO, I lurked for a LONG time, and here I am….

9) What other sports teams do you follow? The Wild, the Gophers hockey and football teams, Twins.. LSU Tigers, Mankato hockey

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?
    I play a lot of video games… I’m a WoW dork actually, I used to play a lot of Counterstrike… but I also love my sports games… Madden, NCAA, and Hockey games.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games? Nope, can’t say I do.

12)Where do you watch Vikings games?
    After one year of watching it at the local Hooters, I did the math and got Sunday Ticket…
    I now watch every game on my 125” screen with a HD projector. BEST investment ever.

13)What is your worst fear?
    That something will happen to my family.
    About 5 years ago we were involved in a head-on car accident (we were doing 70, they were doing 80)… somehow my parents and I lived…

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?
    Computer games, card games, playing some hockey or football, having a beer with my friends….

15) What’s your favorite food?
    Steak/Prime Rib

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.
    I’ve gone to the Caribbean twice on cruises…. St. Thomas is probably my favorite place.
    Otherwise I’ve hopped across over the Mexican border a few times for fun.

As far as in the states goes, I’ve been to MANY states… I liked Colorado a lot.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?
    I want to leave this continent, go see Europe…
    But also to have a family of my own once Ashley finishes medical school

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be? Minnesota… I’ve spent the last 4 years trying to get back… and I will be there in a year.

And Omaha is a HELL of a lot closer to home!

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?
    Yes… and I will be most likely throwing out a muscle in my back or breaking
    something celebrating

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories? I haven’t made it to a tailgate yet, so that hasn’t happened… but I’d just have to go with making some new friends on here who share my passion for the Vikings.
    [i]On a side note, my internship site is full of Vikings fans (WOMEN Vikes fans at that) - so I'm in the process of trying to set up a road trip here in the winter so we can catch a game.... so yes, you may end up seeing me there this year after all!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast