Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Bkfldviking ...

PP.O name:
    Bkfldviking

Robert Adams
    Current City:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hometown: Amarillo, TX
    PACS Administrator

1) How did you choose your screen name? Very un-creative, short hand for Bakersfield Viking.

2) Bkfldviking, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I was born in Amarillo, TX March 2 (Texas Independence Day) 1945.
    When I was 6 months old my Dad left, never met him, never knew him, and he obviously never missed me.
    Grew up being shuffled back and forth between my Mom in Amarillo and my Aunt in Dumas, TX.
    When I was 13 we moved to Santa Monica, CA where my brother (16 years older than me) became my “father figure”.
    Later my sister (14years older) and my niece (5 years younger) joined us.
    We bought a home south of Pico Blvd right behind the college and I attended St. Monica’s High (until I got kicked out).
    Ditched 90 percent of my classes at Santa Monica High then just dropped out of high school altogether.
    Went up to the college, took the entrance exam and started college, didn’t do very well there either.
    Social life was so much more fun than studying.
    Was finally (inevitably) drafted into the US Army and sent to Vietnam.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?

Academically, I wasn’t too bad.
    Socially, I was first “nerdy”, then sullen, and finally a trouble maker.
    When I first started school (we had just moved from Texas) I was the biggest kid in class (working farm kid amongst a bunch of surfers) and like the “fastest gun in the west” everyone wanted to build a reputation by picking a fight with me.
    It was something I couldn’t win at, if I beat them up I was considered a bully, if I backed off and didn’t fight them I was a “chicken”.

4) What did you do after High School?

Dropped out of high school in 10th grade, bummed around with a friend of the family that worked for Wheaton Van Lines, helped him all summer then came home.
    Went to the local Junior College , passed the entrance exam and started school all over again.
    Drafted in 1968.

5)What was your first job?

Delivering fried chicken and pizza.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings?

About 1967, I was sick and tired of everyone being either a 49er’s fan, or a Rams fan.
    I wanted to be different.
    I saw a few games where the Purple just dominated and I started following them.
    When I joined the Air Force and they sent me to Minot, ND in 1971 I became a diehard Vikings fan.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

There were so many memories, but I guess the game between the Vikes and the Chiefs (I think it was 1973) and the kicking battle between Jan Stenerud and Fred Cox.
    Back and forth and in the last two minutes of the game with Stenerud lining up for one more kick to tie, network tv cut off the game and went to 60 Minutes (never liked that show from then on) and we had to wait until the next morning to find out the Vikings won.

8}How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?

Was searching for any Vikings related sites and when I checked out the site I was impressed with the people, the knowledge and if things got heated or so far off topic the mods did a great job of fixing whatever wasn’t right.
    So far I have really enjoyed being here, though I admit I am a bit reluctant to post.
    It might just be my perception, but I swear I have killed more threads with a single post than anyone else out there.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

I am strictly a football fan.
    I don’t care for Basketball, Baseball is fun to play but boring to watch.
    Hockey is fun to watch, but I don’t really understand what is going on half the time.
    Arena football is not all that interesting.
    So during the off season I’m pretty much a basket case.

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

Reading, playing computer games, swimming, woodworking, and ATA Taekwondo (I am currently a blue belt).

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?

Always!
    Not for a Viking victory or the other teams loss, but for the protection of all the players and coaches from injury.

12)Where do you watch Vikings games?

We have a local sports bar (Tailgaters) that is owned by a Bears fan.
    They have a separate room called the Bears Den, but the other teams are welcomed and if any rivalries get out of hand the owner doesn’t hesitate to eject both parties.
    It is very family friendly and bad behavior is not tolerated.

13)What is your worst fear?

Something happening to my wife.
    We have been married 38 years and if something happened to her I would be a total basket case.

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

Reading, playing computer games, swimming, woodworking, and ATA Taekwondo (I am currently a blue belt).

15) What’s your favorite food?

My wife has a recipe for Sweet and Sour pork (not that breaded sickly sweet stuff at Panda Express) served over rice.
    I always make sure there are NO leftovers.
    She also has a recipe for Knoeflla soup (not just potatoes and dumplings) that has so many ingredients it is a meal in it’s self.
    Potatoes, dumplings, carrots, celery, ham, bacon, heavy cream and other “stuff”.
    Yummy!!!

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.

All the states of the Union (including Alaska and Hawaii), France, Spain, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, Okinawa, and Japan.
    I loved visiting the Beaches at Normandy, tolerated Paris, loved Versailles.
    There is a small town on the Spanish / Portuguese border called Badajoz.
    Spent a week there and loved the people and the land.
    Lived 30 years in ND, visited Manitoba (I don’t know what they have in the water up there, but I swear every woman up there is a 44D).
    Liked the Dells in Wis.. The Spirit Lake region of Iowa is real nice (my wife is from there so I had better like it).

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Fly a helicopter!!!

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be?

With the wife’s rheumatoid arthritis and our age we just can’t handle the cold very well, so most likely San Antonio, TX.
    I’m a native Texan, and that San Jacinta area is beautiful.
    Also lots of military bases.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?

Make sure the automatic difibulator is properly charged, bask in the glory for about thirty minutes, then I’m going to call my Packer friends and when they answer just say HAH!!!!!!

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?

I’m still a rookie, I haven’t been here long enough to have a favorite, however, if PP.O tailgates during pre season games I might have a favorite after August 8.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with Bkfldviking ...

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    [b]PP.O name:

Bkfldviking

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?

I’m still a rookie, I haven’t been here long enough to have a favorite, however, if PP.O tailgates during pre season games I might have a favorite after August 8.
    Good to learn about you, Bakersfield!

Last year, they did NOT have the tailgate lots set up for the pre-season games, so I'm not holding my breath.
    Those are commuter lots, after all.
    We'll see.
    If nothing else, we can all meet someplace on the plaza.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Thanks for sharing my friend.

PACS Administrator
    Had to look that one up.
    Very interesting work I bet.

8}How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?

Was searching for any Vikings related sites and when I checked out the site I was impressed with the people, the knowledge and if things got heated or so far off topic the mods did a great job of fixing whatever wasn’t right.
    So far I have really enjoyed being here, though I admit I am a bit reluctant to post.
    It might just be my perception, but I swear I have killed more threads with a single post than anyone else out there.
    Strange, I don't have that perception of you.
    Have you rated kindof high on the ole spread sheet my friend.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D

Post away......Can't be any worse than some of my gaffs.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

PACS Administrator

Had to look that one up.
    Very interesting work I bet
    Fancy title, but like everything else once the dew is off the roses it actually becomes work.
    Get work with newer technology, needed to learn the clinical side (I cheated, my wife has been a Radiological Technologist [don't call her a technician she'll skin you alive] so I have been exposed to it for 38 years).
    Clinics are easier, but hospitals pay more. The Radiologists (as a general group, not individuals) are always patient, tolerant and understanding :.
    Yeah, like that is going to happen. ;D

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    PACS Administrator

Had to look that one up.
    Very interesting work I bet
    Fancy title, but like everything else once the dew is off the roses it actually becomes work.
    Get work with newer technology, needed to learn the clinical side (I cheated, my wife has been a Radiological Technologist [don't call her a technician she'll skin you alive] so I have been exposed to it for 38 years).
    Clinics are easier, but hospitals pay more. The Radiologists (as a general group, not individuals) are always patient, tolerant and understanding :.
    Yeah, like that is going to happen. ;D
    Wildwoman has a nice sharp skinning knife as well and only brings it out when you call her a CNA.

She is in charge of "Materials Management" sections for our local hospital and its 5 surgery centers.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Nice to know more about you, Bkfldviking, thanks for sharing.

What about that beautiful car in your avatar? A Goat or 442? Do you have a story with that one? ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

"VikingMike" wrote:
    Nice to know more about you, Bkfldviking, thanks for sharing.

What about that beautiful car in your avatar? A Goat or 442? Do you have a story with that one? ;D
    Thanks VM.
    No story, the avatar was one of the "available" ones when I first signed up.
    Yeah, a GTO, my dream car when I was teenager, but waaaay out of my price range :'(

Jilly is offline Coach

Hey Bakersfield, nice to know a little more about you.
    I miss that town, well sort of. I don't miss that 110 degree weather.

Hockey is fun to watch, but I don’t really understand what is going on half the time.
    What do you mean, you don't follow the hometown boys, Kevin Harvick or Casey Mears?

BTW, how did you end up in Bakersfield?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Nice to know about you Bkfldviking and don't be afraid to jump in post some more, don't have you pegged as a thread killer.. some members I can believe that of but not you
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"VikingMD" wrote:
    Hey Bakersfield, nice to know a little more about you.
    I miss that town, well sort of. I don't miss that 110 degree weather.

What do you mean, you don't follow the hometown boys, Kevin Harvick or Casey Mears?

BTW, how did you end up in Bakersfield?
    Yeah the heat can be brutal.
    No I never followed the NTL (Necks Turning Left) just never saw the glamor in it.
    In 2001 I learned that my brother had malignant melanoma that had metastised to the brain, so the wife and I quit our jobs and moved out here to provide in home care for him and my sister (she had lung cancer and when they operated her kidneys shut down so she was on dyalisis).
    When my brother passed away in late June and my sister followed him in Late August, by the time we had closed the estate our jobs had been filled and we had nothing to go back to.
    We found good employment here and as a side benefit, the heat has helped with the wife's rhuematoid arthritis and when Mamas happy...I'm happy ;D ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast