Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    5)What was your first job?

    You guessed it! joiner/carpenter! Which I still am, It has it upsides and downsides like any job but there is a certain satisfaction of just building stuff.
    Do you have any pictures of your work that would represent the style of your area? I always appreciate seeing the different styles of carpentry around the world.

    You are correct, there is nothing more gratifying than building something that people can enjoy for generations.
    Hi there UffDaVikes, I am currently working in a workshop at the moment, the only picture I have is this one which I stuck in my phone in case I need it for a CV or something....



    Its a front door (obviously!) I basically started off with a 3" by 9" hardwood baton which i machined down to form the door and frame. The door is 2 1/4" thick and is all mortice and tenon joints, I also did all the painting, fitted the locks and ironmongery as well as the double glazed units. Everthing we do has to be made in a certain time, for this job that was around 16 hours. I don't really do any big jobs it's mostly just manufacturing and repairing doors, windows, gates etc. I also cut and run timber when it is required for outside jobs too.
    That is some fine looking work. Your skills definitely show in the details and I like the proportions. I own a custom cabinet shop so I have some idea of what type of skill it takes to lay that out and build. Do you do those doors to a standard design or do you tailor them to each client? I would certainly put one of those on my own house, you do good work.
    Thanks mate, that particular door is a standard design, the majority of the stuff I do is to replace existing items, most of the new windows and doors here are now UPVC which are brought in from outside contractors. But in general as long as I have a drawing and some sizes I can manufacture it. Do you have any pictures of your work? I know cabinet making can be pretty intricate although I have never done it myself.
    I do, but I am not going to spam your thread.

    When you say UPVC, is that some sort of molded plastic or something else? Do you do the glass work and glazing in of the glass too?

  2. #22
    scottishvike's Avatar
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    1,701
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    5)What was your first job?

    You guessed it! joiner/carpenter! Which I still am, It has it upsides and downsides like any job but there is a certain satisfaction of just building stuff.
    Do you have any pictures of your work that would represent the style of your area? I always appreciate seeing the different styles of carpentry around the world.

    You are correct, there is nothing more gratifying than building something that people can enjoy for generations.
    Hi there UffDaVikes, I am currently working in a workshop at the moment, the only picture I have is this one which I stuck in my phone in case I need it for a CV or something....



    Its a front door (obviously!) I basically started off with a 3" by 9" hardwood baton which i machined down to form the door and frame. The door is 2 1/4" thick and is all mortice and tenon joints, I also did all the painting, fitted the locks and ironmongery as well as the double glazed units. Everthing we do has to be made in a certain time, for this job that was around 16 hours. I don't really do any big jobs it's mostly just manufacturing and repairing doors, windows, gates etc. I also cut and run timber when it is required for outside jobs too.
    That is some fine looking work. Your skills definitely show in the details and I like the proportions. I own a custom cabinet shop so I have some idea of what type of skill it takes to lay that out and build. Do you do those doors to a standard design or do you tailor them to each client? I would certainly put one of those on my own house, you do good work.
    Thanks mate, that particular door is a standard design, the majority of the stuff I do is to replace existing items, most of the new windows and doors here are now UPVC which are brought in from outside contractors. But in general as long as I have a drawing and some sizes I can manufacture it. Do you have any pictures of your work? I know cabinet making can be pretty intricate although I have never done it myself.
    I do, but I am not going to spam your thread.

    When you say UPVC, is that some sort of molded plastic or something else? Do you do the glass work and glazing in of the glass too?
    Yes UPVC is basically a type of plastic, it is generally white but it can be made to look wooden with a grain embossed on it, although to me if you want wood use wood not plastic! The advantage is has over timber is it requires no maintenance apart from cleaning the glass which is as far as I'm aware is always double glazed. I can't comment accurately on how UPVC windows and doors are assembled as I have no experience in that field. As for glazing sometimes I'll fit it like in the door pictured, it depends if it's easier to handle and transport for the people who fit the doors etc. I don't actually cut the glass as there are glaziers on the premises who do that.

    PS don't worry about posting pictures of your work I'm interested in seeing them.

  3. #23
    scottishvike's Avatar
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    1,701
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "NordicNed" wrote:

    Being Scotish myself, I've always dreamed of taking a trip there.
    Since you've been a member here, I've always enjoyed our chats and your post.
    If I do ever make that dream trip to Scotland, no doubt, you will be on my list of places and people to visit..



    Thans for sharing your interview with me and everyone else...





    YPPOP,







    Ned
    I hope you make it across to the "old country" some day Ned, I don't think you'd be disappointed but then I am a little biased!

  4. #24
    triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,588

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "scottishvike" wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, I guess it's only fair that a put up a photo so you can put a face to the name........



    This is me with my son Owen he is now 14 months old, he can walk and no there is no stopping him!
    oh my gosh, he is sooooooooooooo cute.
    I love those cheeks!

  5. #25
    shockzilla's Avatar
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    6,204
    Blog Entries
    29

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    Scottishvike:

    What a very interesting read. We are so glad you're a part of PPO! Methinks you need a title. We'll have to come up with something.

    I wish I was as creative as you are. It must be rewarding to be a carpenter. Hopefully someday we'll be able to meet you at a game at the Dome in person!

    Nice photo of you and your son - now how about one of you and the lovely Fiona?
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

  6. #26
    SKOL's Avatar
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,735

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Watching the Vikes in Minny would be sweet although it's not on the horizon at the moment I'm sure one day it will happen, is it warm enough to wear a kilt in the Dome? BTW if the Vikings ever were involved in a game over here although I would still be desperate to go, it wouldn't be a real regular season game to me. That could only be the case if there was a huge home support, but then I'm more about the sport than the money.
    great read and nice to know more about my nearest Vikings neighbour. The Dome would be warm enough for your kilt, course depending on the time of the year I can't vouch for the temperature for walking to the Dome or for the tailgating !

    As they say you could end up getting frost on your crops !

    ;D
    I've never experienced the effect of wearing kilts on my crops, nor am I familiar with the fashion of the stretchy pants:



    However, I'm sure the two trends could be nicely merged to both create warmth and make a fashionable statement.

    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

  7. #27
    scottishvike's Avatar
    scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Posts
    1,701
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "shockzilla" wrote:
    Scottishvike:

    What a very interesting read. We are so glad you're a part of PPO! Methinks you need a title. We'll have to come up with something.

    I wish I was as creative as you are. It must be rewarding to be a carpenter. Hopefully someday we'll be able to meet you at a game at the Dome in person!

    Nice photo of you and your son - now how about one of you and the lovely Fiona?
    Thanks shock, I appreciate your
    kind words, I've never thought of my work as being very creative but then I've been doing the job for almost 20 years, most of the stuff I do is just second nature to me now. I hope to make it to the Dome at some point but with a young family finances are pretty tight, by the time I can afford to go, the new stadium may be in operation! As requested here is a picture of Fiona and me....


  8. #28
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    Big on late 80's early 90's rap, Public Enemy, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, EPMD, Ice T, NWA, Geto Boys acts like that.
    Sweet. Taking it back to the old school.
    8)

  9. #29
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    13)What is your worst fear?

    Spiders.
    I fucking hate spiders. Just looking at them makes me gag. Nothing worse than going to the bathroom and seeing a big nasty spider crawling his ass around. I would freak out if I ever saw one on me.

  10. #30
    VikingMike's Avatar
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    Scottishvike:

    What a very interesting read. We are so glad you're a part of PPO! Methinks you need a title. We'll have to come up with something.

    I wish I was as creative as you are. It must be rewarding to be a carpenter. Hopefully someday we'll be able to meet you at a game at the Dome in person!

    Nice photo of you and your son - now how about one of you and the lovely Fiona?
    Thanks shock, I appreciate your
    kind words, I've never thought of my work as being very creative but then I've been doing the job for almost 20 years, most of the stuff I do is just second nature to me now. I hope to make it to the Dome at some point but with a young family finances are pretty tight, by the time I can afford to go, the new stadium may be in operation! As requested here is a picture of Fiona and me....


    Great read, Scottishvike, thanks for sharing with us.

    Nice wedding pic of you and the pretty lass Fiona. Cheers!
    ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

    Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Congratz scottishvike on the Hall of Fame!!!
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
  2. Who's The Daddy? scottishvike That's Who! The Sequel
    By scottishvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 05:26 PM
  3. Congrats to scottishvike for the 1(G)
    By El Vikingo in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 07:14 PM
  4. Happy Birthday scottishvike!!!
    By BadlandsVikings in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2007, 07:01 AM
  5. Who's The Daddy? ScottishVike That's Who!
    By scottishvike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •