Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with scottishvike ...

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    5)What was your first job?

You guessed it! joiner/carpenter! Which I still am, It has it upsides and downsides like any job but there is a certain satisfaction of just building stuff.
    Do you have any pictures of your work that would represent the style of your area? I always appreciate seeing the different styles of carpentry around the world.

You are correct, there is nothing more gratifying than building something that people can enjoy for generations.
    Teaching my 2 year old son to say "Momma, I took a duke!" was a pretty gratifying experience.

But architecture is fascinating as well...especially the differences throughout different regions of the world.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

Can I be cheeky and have 3?

The 98 season up to and even including some of the Championship game
    was incredible, I just thought it was our year to do it, although when he missed THAT kick you had a feeling it was going to end in tears. I wasn't a fan for the first 4 SB losses, but did see 3 NFC championship losses, nobody said it was going to be easy!

Beating the Packers at Lambeau in the Play-offs. To beat them like that? in their own place? in the play-offs? man I'm smiling right now just thinking about it. When Moss did the first ever case of a "moon" without removing his trousers, I'm not ashamed to admit I was dancing round the room.

Last year against the Chargers had me dancing again. Although I knew from reports AD was special, seeing that performance give me as well as every Viking fan hope for the future. If we can get any type of passing game going we are looking like a contender in the NFC.
    YOU CHEEKY MONKEY, YOU!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

"Bkfldviking" wrote:
    Great read SV.
    My family heritage is primarly Scottish (evidently a branch of the Campbells) which is why my dad insisted on naming me Robert Bruce
    ;D
    AND by an amazing coincidence Bkfldviking King Robert the Bruce's remains are buried in Dunfermline Abbey, my home town...

History of Dunfermline Abbey

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    Watching the Vikes in Minny would be sweet although it's not on the horizon at the moment I'm sure one day it will happen, is it warm enough to wear a kilt in the Dome? BTW if the Vikings ever were involved in a game over here although I would still be desperate to go, it wouldn't be a real regular season game to me. That could only be the case if there was a huge home support, but then I'm more about the sport than the money.
    great read and nice to know more about my nearest Vikings neighbour. The Dome would be warm enough for your kilt, course depending on the time of the year I can't vouch for the temperature for walking to the Dome or for the tailgating !

As they say you could end up getting frost on your crops !
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Very cool! I also just loved that play-off win over Green Bay. I remember telling my wife after the 'vikes were bounced that I was still happy as could be because of that win. Do you speak with a real strong accent? 'Cause I watched "Trainspotting" the other day and for the life of me, I couldn't understand a Fookin word Begby and Spud were saying ;D
    Tuco the world.....

Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

You guessed it! joiner/carpenter! Which I still am, It has it upsides and downsides like any job but there is a certain satisfaction of just building stuff.
    Do you have any pictures of your work that would represent the style of your area? I always appreciate seeing the different styles of carpentry around the world.

You are correct, there is nothing more gratifying than building something that people can enjoy for generations.
    Hi there UffDaVikes, I am currently working in a workshop at the moment, the only picture I have is this one which I stuck in my phone in case I need it for a CV or something....

Its a front door (obviously!) I basically started off with a 3" by 9" hardwood baton which i machined down to form the door and frame. The door is 2 1/4" thick and is all mortice and tenon joints, I also did all the painting, fitted the locks and ironmongery as well as the double glazed units. Everthing we do has to be made in a certain time, for this job that was around 16 hours. I don't really do any big jobs it's mostly just manufacturing and repairing doors, windows, gates etc. I also cut and run timber when it is required for outside jobs too.

Blog Entries

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    Very cool! I also just loved that play-off win over Green Bay. I remember telling my wife after the 'vikes were bounced that I was still happy as could be because of that win. Do you speak with a real strong accent? 'Cause I watched "Trainspotting" the other day and for the life of me, I couldn't understand a Fookin word Begby and Spud were saying ;D
    Aye a dae hae a bit oh a twang to ma speech an that Jeremiah I can tone it down when the need arises though, BTW there are loads of different dialects in Scotland I was at a party near Glasgow once and I couldn't understand a word they were saying!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"scottishvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Hi there UffDaVikes, I am currently working in a workshop at the moment, the only picture I have is this one which I stuck in my phone in case I need it for a CV or something....

Its a front door (obviously!) I basically started off with a 3" by 9" hardwood baton which i machined down to form the door and frame. The door is 2 1/4" thick and is all mortice and tenon joints, I also did all the painting, fitted the locks and ironmongery as well as the double glazed units. Everthing we do has to be made in a certain time, for this job that was around 16 hours. I don't really do any big jobs it's mostly just manufacturing and repairing doors, windows, gates etc. I also cut and run timber when it is required for outside jobs too.
    That is some fine looking work. Your skills definitely show in the details and I like the proportions. I own a custom cabinet shop so I have some idea of what type of skill it takes to lay that out and build. Do you do those doors to a standard design or do you tailor them to each client? I would certainly put one of those on my own house, you do good work.

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I guess it's only fair that a put up a photo so you can put a face to the name........

This is me with my son Owen he is now 14 months old, he can walk and no there is no stopping him!

Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "scottishvike" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

That is some fine looking work. Your skills definitely show in the details and I like the proportions. I own a custom cabinet shop so I have some idea of what type of skill it takes to lay that out and build. Do you do those doors to a standard design or do you tailor them to each client? I would certainly put one of those on my own house, you do good work.
    Thanks mate, that particular door is a standard design, the majority of the stuff I do is to replace existing items, most of the new windows and doors here are now UPVC which are brought in from outside contractors. But in general as long as I have a drawing and some sizes I can manufacture it. Do you have any pictures of your work? I know cabinet making can be pretty intricate although I have never done it myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast