Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

" PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with AngloVike ...

PP.O name:
    Anglo Vike
    Current City: Sandhurst, Berkshire, UK
    Hometown: Northolt, Middlesex

1) How did you choose your screen name?

When I first went online I found a Vikings email list to subscribe to. There was already a UK Vike and Limey Vike on there I looked for an alternative. Anglo Vike was my next choice and I've stuck with it ever since on the various sites I'd signed up to over the years. So if you see it elsewhere then it should be me - if not then its an imposter and I will be after them. I haven't done like the Pats and registered the trademark yet but I'll consider it Grin

[img width=450 height=337]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/shom00/Phillygame027.jpg[/img]

2) Anglo, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I was born and bred in Northolt which is a suburb on the fringes of West London and comes under the London Borough of Ealing, which extends from Shepherds Bush on the east side out to Northolt on the west. From Northolt we always used to think that 10 minutes by car and you were in a less built up areas which were more like the country to us at the time. Of course as the suburbs have grown it is more built up and not as nice as it was, glad that I don't live there now as it is not a place to raise a family.
    I'm the youngest of four with 14 years between myself and the youngest sister - always said that Dad got very lucky one night !
    though would have loved to see my grandparents faces when told I was on the way. After that I have a brother and another sister and, as a result, have 5 nephews and a niece and a few great nieces/nephews as well.
    My father served in WWII and once out joined the Post Office until his retirement. He then worked for 5 years for the Heinz company in the postal room there before finishing altogether - thankfully it didn't encourage me to become a Steelers fan ! Mum was a stay at home housewife who kept us all in check despite the generation gap, she is still alive today and in good health thankfully. Dad passed on in 2000 at the grand old age of 88 - which seems to run in the family, so gives me a few years to look out for many Vikings SB wins.

I'm celebrating 10 years of marriage this year (second time around) to the wonderful Sharon - or Mrs AngloVike as some refer to her as- who shares my football interests and takes some losses very hard. She's still learning what it means to be a Vikes fan..lol. I have a daughter from my first marriage who is not that interested in football or sport in general - like her mother
    ;D but she'll come over one day for a game and see how embarassing Dad is at a game.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?

I
    was the sort who kept his head down and got on with his work without getting into trouble or drawing too much attention from the teachers. Having said that I wasn't outstanding in school and only got average marks and exam passes but did enough to get me into a decent job. Sports I was bloody awful at due to being of a 'non athletic build' and consequently I hated most of them due to being the wrong shape for running, gym work etc. The only thing I was ok at was cricket, though not enough to consider playing outside of school, and also badminton. That I was ok at but the only club I tried to join was snobbish and I didn't get a fair chance to try out, so I dropped that.

It was only later when I played american football that I ever played a sport at a competitive level out of choice rather than being forced to. Unfortunately I had to cut it short due to injury after only three years but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Those years were in the early years of organised leagues in the UK and it was something that I was proud to have been involved in. It is still a minority sport in this country but teams are far more established now and will not be going away anytime in the future.

4) What did you do after High School?

I didn't want to stay on at school and University wasn't appealing either and so it was time to leave and move into the big wide world and start earning a living. At that time most boys, if you wanted a non-office job, would then be looking to the various manufacturing industries or utilities for an apprenticeship . I managed to get two job offers, one with the Post Office Telecommunications branch and one with Her Majesty's Customs & Excise Department

5)What was your first job?

From above my first job was the Post Office Telecoms job. I started as a Trainee Technician Apprentice a week before my 16th birthday for the grand sum of £30 per week - about $57 at the current exchange rate. Three years later I was still there made up to a Technician 2A on exchange switch maintenance.

6) When did you decide to be such a dedicated fan of the Minnesota Vikings?

1983 when the Vikes played at Wembley in the Global Cup against the St Louis Cardinals in the first game outside of North America with NFL teams. A new TV station ( Channel 4 ) had started showing the NFL the year before and the League was keen to promote the sport more in the UK. I watched and enjoyed it but never favoured any one team until the Wembley game. I went with Minnesote due to the Vikings name being used for a local football club, pub and also the local telephone exchange had been designated as Viking - so seemed a logical step to make. The rest as they say is history.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

I would have to say it is attending the Dome for the first time and something that I won't forget - 2000 and a 31-27 win against Buffalo. It's hard for fans that live in Minnesota or able to get regularly to home games to appreciate what coming to a game at the Dome means. We walked from the Hotel and as we got nearer to the Dome it just seemed to be a sea or purple everywhere you looked. Once inside it was a blur of vision and noise and passed all to quickly. The one thing, that day and subsequent games I've attended, guaranteed to get the hairs up on the back on my neck is the pre-introduction video with the Viking longboat coming in over the the TC - love it everytime, even when Webby has it on the homepage on gamedays.

8)How did you come to find PP.O and what attracted you most to the site?

I used to frequent another fansite that I found after my first trip out in 2000. That closed down and a couple of the mods from that site put me onto this site that they had found. I came over and when Webby found out that we used to write at the previous site asked if I'd do the same here. I started doing that and have been here ever since - guess it was 2001 when I first came here. So whilst not the highest poster I'm one of the older ones to be hanging around here.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

I'll watch most sports but not with the same zeal as the NFL but I'll keep an eye out for the following teams and their fortunes
    Football ( soccer to my north american cousins ) - Brentford FC, Division 2 of the English Football League
    Cricket - Middlesex - my home county and the home of the game in England
    Baseball - Atlanta Braves, managed to see a game at the old Fulton County stadium in '96 when I was in the US for the very first time
    NHL - Minnesota Wild - never seen a game yet but will manage it one day

10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

I enjoy reading and currently have about 5 books still to work my way through. A couple of Vikes books that I picked up last fall and others that I received at Christmas. I also enjoy photography and try to get out when I can with the camera, love landscapes, scenery and abstract shots - plus Vikes games of course.

11) Do you say a special prayer before Vikings games?

No, but I have been known to utter the Lord's name at times during the game based on coaching calls, officiating etc

12)Where do you watch away Vikings games?

Where possible via online feeds, unless the NFL games shown on the SKY satellite sports channel has the Vikes games. Last resort is then Field Pass (audio) or game centre on the NFL site.

13)What is your worst fear?

Wondering what the future holds for my daughter as she gets older - its a Dad thing
    ;D

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

Mainly my reading and photography - which also allows for me playing about with pictures using Photoshop as well.

15) What’s your favorite food?

Hmmm.. not so easy ..... either fish and chips with mushy peas... or pease pudding with faggotts - thats the food variety and not the type most people reading this might think of.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.

Tokyo, Japan
    Toronto, Alberta, BC, Vancouver
    Sth Carolina, Atlanta, Minneapolis
    Milan, Italy
    Montenegro, Yugoslavia

have to say for relaxation and easy going then Hilton Head Islan in Sth Carolina would be my favourite. Long beaches and a place to simply chill. Would love to go back to Tokyo and take my wife this time - first time was with work. Lovely place and so much to see and enjoy.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Go on a snowmobile for a day - love the snow and they look sooo much fun

18)If you could live anywhere where would it be?

Either somewhere with spectacular views - such as near the Canadian Rockies or overlooking a lake... Minnesota's got 10,000 so plenty to choose from. On a practical basis if I won the Lotto then I'd find a piece of land down in Devon with a sea view one way and hills and fields in the opposite direction and have a house built.

19) Do you believe the Vikings will have their big day someday? When they do win the Super Bowl, what will be the first thing you think you will do?

Without a doubt just a question when, though once we have one under the belt then I believe that we will be a dominant team for a period of time. Much like the Patriots but without the question marks. The first thing I will do is shed a tear as, unlike many in the UK, I know what it will mean for the Purple Faithful for that first win to come along. After that I'll raise a glass to all fans and those who have gone before and toast that much wanted win.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite PPO memories?

There are so many to choose from and PPO reminds so much of the office I work in. There is so much banter and chat bouncing back and forth in the Beserker Yell and forums that it seems like a large room or office, so you can be crying with laughter at some of the comments and posts. Like Marrdro I sometimes get looks from people who wonder what I'm sniggering at or muttering about to myself. Its been great the last three years meeting PPO members at games and putting the faces to the on screen names.

However it all boils down to the people who come to visit, post and even stay on the site - when you can get a Packer fan willing to put their hand in their pocket and donate to the site upkeep then you have a very special site indeed. Credit to Webby and the Mods for keeping us all in line and most of all to the posters here that make it what it is

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: " PP.O's Who are they really? " 20 Questions with AngloVike ...

nice to learn more about you anglo

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Hello AngloVike,

Man, it's sure nice to read about you and your family.
    I think it's great so many fans are coming aboard here from overseas, to be with others who have a common love for the game and here, the same team.

One of many PPO Dreams of mine is to attend a game when I can get the chance to meet an overseas member like yourself.
    You where here when I joined, and your still here today, and a main cog that helps keep this fine tuned engine of a site running.

Thanks for taking the time to share yourself with us.

YVFF,

Ned

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Hey Anglo, very interesting to learn a little more about you.
    Hope to meet you at a tailgate sometime.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Thanx Anglo, very nice read to learn more about you. I am glad to have met you a few times already & look forward to you & Sharon's return trip this year.

I've heard the term fags used before by the English when my company was bought out by Lucas in reference to cigarettes, but was unaware that faggotts were a type of food. I had to GOOGLE it to find out what it was. What I found out is that they are liver rich meat patties, served with some gravy. Yuck! I hate liver.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Anglo:

What a nice read! You and Sharon are a wonderful couple - and it was cool to have my picture with you chosen for your interview! Last time you guys came over, Sharon and I had a nice chat at the tailgate - looking forward to seeing you guys again this year! Which game are you coming for?
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Good stuff Anglo

Too bad we wont get to the same game this year. But I know you'll manage to get you jersey out later in the year

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    PP.O name:
    Anglo Vike
    Current City: Sandhurst, Berkshire, UK
    Hometown: Northolt, Middlesex

2) Anglo, could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I was born and bred in Northolt which is a suburb on the fringes of West London and comes under the London Borough of Ealing, which extends from Shepherds Bush on the east side out to Northolt on the west. From Northolt we always used to think that 10 minutes by car and you were in a less built up areas which were more like the country to us at the time. Of course as the suburbs have grown it is more built up and not as nice as it was, glad that I don't live there now as it is not a place to raise a family.
    I'm the youngest of four with 14 years between myself and the youngest sister - always said that Dad got very lucky one night !
    though would have loved to see my grandparents faces when told I was on the way. After that I have a brother and another sister and, as a result, have 5 nephews and a niece and a few great nieces/nephews as well.
    My father served in WWII and once out joined the Post Office until his retirement. He then worked for 5 years for the Heinz company in the postal room there before finishing altogether - thankfully it didn't encourage me to become a Steelers fan ! Mum was a stay at home housewife who kept us all in check despite the generation gap, she is still alive today and in good health thankfully. Dad passed on in 2000 at the grand old age of 88 - which seems to run in the family, so gives me a few years to look out for many Vikings SB wins.

I'm celebrating 10 years of marriage this year (second time around) to the wonderful Sharon - or Mrs AngloVike as some refer to her as- who shares my football interests and takes some losses very hard. She's still learning what it means to be a Vikes fan..lol. I have a daughter from my first marriage who is not that interested in football or sport in general - like her mother
    ;D but she'll come over one day for a game and see how embarassing Dad is at a game.

3) What type of student where you in High School? Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any school clubs and such?

I
    was the sort who kept his head down and got on with his work without getting into trouble or drawing too much attention from the teachers. Having said that I wasn't outstanding in school and only got average marks and exam passes but did enough to get me into a decent job. Sports I was bloody awful at due to being of a 'non athletic build' and consequently I hated most of them due to being the wrong shape for running, gym work etc. The only thing I was ok at was cricket, though not enough to consider playing outside of school, and also badminton. That I was ok at but the only club I tried to join was snobbish and I didn't get a fair chance to try out, so I dropped that.

It was only later when I played american football that I ever played a sport at a competitive level out of choice rather than being forced to. Unfortunately I had to cut it short due to injury after only three years but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Those years were in the early years of organised leagues in the UK and it was something that I was proud to have been involved in. It is still a minority sport in this country but teams are far more established now and will not be going away anytime in the future.

4) What did you do after High School?

I didn't want to stay on at school and University wasn't appealing either and so it was time to leave and move into the big wide world and start earning a living. At that time most boys, if you wanted a non-office job, would then be looking to the various manufacturing industries or utilities for an apprenticeship . I managed to get two job offers, one with the Post Office Telecommunications branch and one with Her Majesty's Customs & Excise Department
    "Her Majesty's Customs & Excise Department..."
    I've always like the sound of "Her Majesty's" this and that.
    Strange for a colonist, eh Peter?

[/quote]5)What was your first job?

From above my first job was the Post Office Telecoms job. I started as a Trainee Technician Apprentice a week before my 16th birthday for the grand sum of £30 per week - about $57 at the current exchange rate. Three years later I was still there made up to a Technician 2A on exchange switch maintenance.[/quote]

Why didn't the UK go with the Euro?

[/quote]7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

I would have to say it is attending the Dome for the first time and something that I won't forget - 2000 and a 31-27 win against Buffalo. It's hard for fans that live in Minnesota or able to get regularly to home games to appreciate what coming to a game at the Dome means. We walked from the Hotel and as we got nearer to the Dome it just seemed to be a sea or purple everywhere you looked. Once inside it was a blur of vision and noise and passed all to quickly. The one thing, that day and subsequent games I've attended, guaranteed to get the hairs up on the back on my neck is the pre-introduction video with the Viking longboat coming in over the the TC - love it everytime, even when Webby has it on the homepage on gamedays.[/quote]

It's a wonderful experience for those of us who only visit once or twice per year.
    I especially like the playing of Zepplin's "Immigrant Song" during the intro.
    What a great song for the Vikes...

[/quote]10) When you’re not on PPO what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

I enjoy reading and currently have about 5 books still to work my way through. A couple of Vikes books that I picked up last fall and others that I received at Christmas. I also enjoy photography and try to get out when I can with the camera, love landscapes, scenery and abstract shots - plus Vikes games of course.[/quote]

Check this website out Peter.
    The photographer is a very senior cyber security type with Microsoft who does landscapes for fun.

http://aucsmithphoto.com/default.htm

[/quote]13)What is your worst fear?

Wondering what the future holds for my daughter as she gets older - its a Dad thing

;D[/quote]

Every father's fear...
    we worry about our little girls.

[/quote]15) What’s your favorite food?

Hmmm.. not so easy ..... either fish and chips with mushy peas... or pease pudding with faggotts - thats the food variety and not the type most people reading this might think of.[/quote]

A fond memory is eating fish and chips with malt vinegar at a small shop in Inverness, Scotland.
    Yum!

Great read Peter!
    I look forward to meeting you and the Mrs. someday and buying you guys those many pints I promised...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

Jilly is offline Coach

Nice to know more about you AngloVike. By far this is the most interesting read, no offense to the others but I find it fascinating that one of the longest members of PP.O isn't even from Minnesota or even from the US. I love the support you have for American (Viking) football.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories that has to do with the Vikings or one of its past or present players, coaches, etc.

I would have to say it is attending the Dome for the first time and something that I won't forget - 2000 and a 31-27 win against Buffalo. It's hard for fans that live in Minnesota or able to get regularly to home games to appreciate what coming to a game at the Dome means. We walked from the Hotel and as we got nearer to the Dome it just seemed to be a sea or purple everywhere you looked. Once inside it was a blur of vision and noise and passed all to quickly. The one thing, that day and subsequent games I've attended, guaranteed to get the hairs up on the back on my neck is the pre-introduction video with the Viking longboat coming in over the the TC - love it everytime, even when Webby has it on the homepage on gamedays.
    We made it to the Dome for the first time last year and I have to agree with you, the game was a blur that seemed to pass in less than a half hours time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a pause button at our fingertips so we have the time to completely absorb the whole experience in.

15) What’s your favorite food?

Hmmm.. not so easy ..... either fish and chips with mushy peas... or pease pudding with faggotts - thats the food variety and not the type most people reading this might think of.
    I went to England over ten years ago, saw the Tower of London, the Crown Jewels, Westminster Abbey, the changing of the guard and even went to Stonhenge and then on to Bath.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the entire trip BUT I have to say, I did not enjoy the food. No offense, it must be an acquired taste. Went to breakfast one morning, thought it was a bit unusual that the sausage was so dark...come to find out, it was blood sausage. Yuck!

Hope to see you at a game sometime

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words guys.. did think it may have come over as rambling ..lol

NordicNed - I look forward to meeting up with you at a game sometime and hope we manage that someday.

Singer - you don't what you are missing with faggots
    ;D

Shock - we're hoping to be over again this year and the SNF game at Chicago is the likely choice for that. Sure 'll I will shouting that from the rooftops once we have it arranged

PacNWVike
    Why didn't the UK go with the Euro?
    So far there has been no public opinion to want to go with it, with most of the 'pro' lobby being the business and financial powers. A lot of people still consider Europe as 'that place over the other side of the Channel' (myself included) so don't anything to do with it. We shall see if attitudes like that change as the next generation grows up with a more relaxed view towards Europe.. maybe not in my lifetime
    Thanks for the website, I'll be sure to check that out and look forward to those beers we'll be drinking

VikingMD - sounds like you had black pudding which is an acquired taste and not everyone's ideal breakfast food..lol
    Love the idea of the pause button, we'll have to suggest that idea to Zygi !
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast